Ruger Redhawk .44

PDA

Tiger05
August 13, 2006, 05:29 PM
Anyone have any feedback on the .44 redhawk?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger Redhawk .44" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Lou22
August 13, 2006, 05:50 PM
I bought a Redhawk .44 last year, mainly just to have a .44. I took it to the range, shot 50 rounds through it, and it's been sitting ever since. Nothing wrong with it, never misfired, was accurate for the time I had with it. I've heard that the Redhawk is one of the stronger .44's, that it will hold up well to a lot of heavy loads.

Lou

blue06van
August 13, 2006, 05:59 PM
I got a Super Redhawk .44 9.5in that has about 5k rounds though it, in about a years time. As strong and accrute as when i bought it. I got 2x scope in it and Houge grips. Very crisp recoil with stout loads my buddy makes for me.

Jackal
August 13, 2006, 07:04 PM
Simply put, it is the best reasonably priced hunting revolver made.

Heavy Barrel
August 13, 2006, 08:29 PM
And one of the strongest:D

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a12/Bill413x2/Redhawk.jpg

KINGMAX
August 13, 2006, 08:56 PM
Yes I do have a Super RedHawk in .44. It is topped w/ a Bosch & Lomb scope. It feels like a brick. I got it for $264.00. I found a pawn ticket, contacted the guy. He was going through hard times and could not get it out of pawn. He said if I wanted he would go with me to the pawn shop and allow me to just pay to pawn ticket for him. I got a permit to purchase, and got it that way. All legal.

I have given it a good cleaning, put on a set of Hogue Grips. LOOKS GREAT, but still feels like a brick.

Action_Can_Do
August 14, 2006, 03:21 AM
I've shot both the redhawk and super redhawk. The stock redhawk grips are rough on the hands with heavy loads, but hogue makes a real nice rubber grip that really reduces the pain. The super redhawk comes with decent grips and is heavy enough that recoil is not much of an issue. Both guns are reasonably accurate but as usual, it depends on what load the gun likes.

svtruth
August 14, 2006, 07:51 AM
and it is lots of fun. Just for kicks (pun intended) I got some Buffalo Bore rounds for it. They make the regular stuff feel like .44spl. Reading up on it I can tell it is going to push me into reloading for performance and cost.
Have fun.

Tom C.
August 14, 2006, 07:56 AM
I have two Redhawks, both with 5 1/2" barrels, in .44 Mag and .45 Colt. The single action trigger sometimes needs a little work, but they are tough, rugged guns. They will outlast a S&W 629. Mine are very accurate as well. Don't care for the grips, so mine have Pachmayr Presentation grips.

LiquidTension
August 14, 2006, 08:47 AM
I have a 5.5" in .44mag. Found it on consignment in a local shop, talked them down to $360 and I walked with it. It looks brand new and obviously hasn't been fired much. Double action trigger is nice, single action breaks clean if a little heavier than I'd like.

My first batch of reloads left a good amount of lead in the first 2" of the barrel. Not sure of the cause yet, I'm using Meister bullets over 9.3 and 10 grains of Unique so they're not that hot :scrutiny:

I put some Hogue rubber grips on it when I got it and immediately took them off - they make the gun look ridiculous and didn't feel right in my hand. There's nothing wrong with the original wood grips though I would like to get some with finger grooves.

rbernie
August 14, 2006, 08:57 AM
I prefer the Super Redhawk for it's smaller grip frame and availability of aftermarket grips. The size and shape of the grips was my only gripe with the Redhawk, but it was enough to make me sell both of mine in favor of other revolvers.

Ben Shepherd
August 14, 2006, 09:21 AM
Several redhawks here, from 357 to 44. All have been good guns. All will shoot under 1" at 25 yards with a good load.

How's that?

Master Blaster
August 14, 2006, 09:31 AM
I have one and its really my least favorite .44 mag revolver. I have two smiths a 629 6", and a 4" mountain gun 629. Both Smiths have way better single and double action triggers, Much Much better.

The redhawk had a truely horrible single action trigger it was 7lbs on a lyman guage, with lots of creep and overtravel. The double action pull was about 16 lbs but felt heavier. Truely the worst trigger on any firearm I own.

I bought it because it was strong, but I dont shoot 300 grain corbon or buffalo bore loads. I handload my .44 mags to between 750 (target loads) and 1100 (jacketed loads), plenty of power for my needs and enough blast and recoil for me.

I put a spring kit from wolf in mine tried the 12 13 and 14lb springs. The original 17 was reliable but the trigger was horrible. Went to the 14, better trigger but now it wont reliably ignite winchester primers in double action, sometimes it get 5 clicks in a cylinder which is completely unacceptable.
I put hogue grips on it, and they are really too big for my hand. With the elite 3200 pistol scope mounted, its so heavy and unweildy it needs a tripod.

Both my smiths are 100% reliable in double action, their triggers are much much better, and my mountain gun which had a performance center action job is truely amazing in double action. The smiths are very accurate witha all loads, the redhawk only shoots high velocity jacketed loads acceptably (not well).

I will be putting the redhawk up for sale soon since I never want to shoot it when I can take out a smith instead. I also have a super blackhawk in .44 mag and its a great gun, I cant recommend a redhawk to anyone.

JMHO YMMV.

one-shot-one
August 14, 2006, 12:39 PM
traded my blackhawk for a redhawk, it is used so "maybe" it has had trigger work, but while redhawk triggers are not as "slick" as s&w i have shot a couple and handled a few in the gun shops but not had one as bad as Master Blaster's. check the trigger feel before you buy and if it is ok for you everything else should be fine. my "new" one is every bit as accurate as the blackhawk i traded away, i was pleasently supprised at this as the blackhawk was very accurate. both have/had 7 1/2" bbls.

usmccpl
August 14, 2006, 07:43 PM
Trigger aside I have never handled a better 44 than my redhawk. In the time Ive owned her she has been daily carry night stand patrol and hog hunter.Cant wait til deer season gonna show the missus what a revolver can really do. Next week Im getting new sights on her,I like the gold bead better than stock ones. ANd soon she is gonna get mag na ported for faster follow up shots.With Garrett 330 hammerheads she has brought down 5 hogs one rabid rotwillier(SP) ,and a 600 lbs bull that was causing problems in my gunnys pasture.All were one shot kills

azredhawk44
August 15, 2006, 07:20 PM
Have a 5.5" 44mag Redhawk, blued.

Upgrades at this point include Hogue hardwood grips (a must), and gold bead front post/v-notch rear sight. For longer ranged target shooting, the gold bead is the way to go. Just installed this weekend, but haven't made it to the range yet.

I've had this gun for about 3 years and put about 2000 rounds through it so far. I love this gun. If I could only keep one, it would be either my sp101 or this guy.

After 500-1000 rounds, the trigger starts to sweeten up. Typical of most Rugers.

Confederate
August 15, 2006, 10:08 PM
It's a nice looking gun, but I didn't like it. Too damn heavy and the Super Redhawk is even heavier. They should have redesigned the grip so that the cylinder is not so high over the grip. And they put too much steel in it. It's one thing to be strong, but shouldn't be much stronger than it needs to be.

I like the old Smith 629 with a 6-inch barrel.

Magnumite
August 17, 2006, 09:39 AM
I love mine, goes with me everytime I shoot. You can tune the action to where it is very smooth and without glitches. One gun guy, used to show off my blued gun and say how it felt like a tuned S&W action. You can get and 8-10 pound DA pull with the stock spring. That is all I use. Lighter springs may get some misfires only when shooting double action.

It is a very strong revolver and you can't hurt it shooting it. The stainless guns are more resistant to forcing cone erosion (as is any stainless gun). I've had three of them. Originally a stainless 7.5", then a stainless 5.5", then a blue 5.5". I shot the 5.5" stainless so much because of its balance so much I sold the other two for other projects. I have a 3/4" five shot 50 yard sand bagged target with a good magnum load from that 5.5" stainless gun. Fifty yard groups easily go 2.5 to 3.0 inches, off the bags.

I have used this revolver in hunter's pistol competition and it keeps going. I can hold 8" at 100 yards standing with it (called fliers discounted, of course) with both cast lead and jacketed handloaded ammo. Sometimes I can get a 4.5 to 6" group. Best part, is the gun fits my hand nicely.

I use it shooting pins in stock revolver class and it always shows well. Me, that is another story. The action tunes that well, as mentioned previously.

If you want a life time of readiness, call Ruger and order a transfer bar and the little hook which connects the hammer to the mainstring assembly. After thousands and thousands of rounds, these parts, may fail (I think the cast transfer bar should be forged. It broke on my SBHK also). That hook, well it is a little delicate, and yours may not fail...but I have two extra of each. Both are easily replaced just by field stripping it as described in the owner's manual.

For me the stock grips are fine when it is warm out. Cold weather, I use rubber Pachmyers for extended shooting.

mtnbkr
August 17, 2006, 10:49 AM
I have a blued 5.5" Redhawk in 44mag. The trigger, while not as good as a S&W, is good enough for DA field work. I would describe the DA trigger as long, fairly smooth, and of medium weight (no heavier than any S&W DA trigger). The trigger, like most Ruger DA triggers, stages well. The SA trigger is a tad heavy and has a touch of creep, but since it's not my main mode of shooting, I don't really care. I replaced the Pachmyer grips the previous owner installed with wood Hogues. I tried the rubber hogues, but they didn't suit me.

It handles 300gr WFN bullets at just under 1200fps quite well. It's as accurate as I can be. Actually, I shoot it better than any of my handguns.

The biggest plus is the lack of a Clinton zit on the side.

Chris

Master Blaster
August 17, 2006, 01:20 PM
One gun guy, used to show off my blued gun and say how it felt like a tuned S&W action. You can get and 8-10 pound DA pull with the stock spring. That is all I use. Lighter springs may get some misfires only when shooting double action.

Yes you are right a lighter spring will definately get some misfires in double action. In fact you will get lots of misfires. I thought it would get better as the gun was fired some, but its actually gotten worse on mine as it smoothed up. I was warned by the gunsmith at my local shop, that I should have bought the super redhawk because the trigger on that gun is tunable, and redhawks/ sp101 triggers are not capable of producing a good pull due to their geometry.

Please share your secret of getting 8-10 lb double action pull with the stock 17lb main spring.

Most folks will tell you the only way to lighten the trigger on a Redhawk is by changing the mainspring, since thats the only spring in the gun besides the tiny pawl springs, redhawks dont have a trigger return spring. I really want to know how you acheived the 10 lb double action pull witha a 17lb mainspring. If you have any diagrams or any instructions for accomplishing this please please share them here..

PinnedAndRecessed
August 17, 2006, 10:22 PM
I've had two Redhawks. Fantastic guns.

Now I have a Super Redhawk. It is great, too.

cookekdjr
August 17, 2006, 10:55 PM
I had a Redhawk, 7.5" barrel, stainless steel, .44 mag. I loved it, but sold it when I ran short of cash while making two house payments.
It was very accurate, soft recoiling (yes, I did say soft), and just plain fun. By the way, the trigger was perfect, like a good S&W.
I will probably buy another one after I close on my house sale at the end of this month. It is a great gun, and I highly recommend it.
-David

ZipperZap
August 19, 2006, 11:03 AM
Here's one of my favorites.

Tried and true in AK, this has been an excellent choice and until I
got my SW 500 it's been on my hip in the bush more than any of
my revolvers.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b313/zipperzap/0629b4c2.jpg

Jamie B
August 19, 2006, 11:36 AM
Great gun!

Bull strong, good price, accurate, handsome!
I have a SS RH 5.5" .44, and a 7.5" .480 SRH.

No way will these ever be sold or traded!

Jamie

Magnumite
August 23, 2006, 01:04 AM
MasterBlaster. I just weighed my 5.5" SS Redhawk DA pull. It is 10.25 pounds. The light pull is from the leverage of the trigger rotary motion on one side of its pivot (fulcrum) converted to a linear pull on the opposite side pulling in the same plane as the mainspring. So it was engineering genious that did it, not me...LOL!

I stoned the usually places in the action, without changing any angles or taking off too much metal. I also stoned/smoothed the detent plungers , the surfaces the detents bear against and even the bores they slide in. I tuned the cylinder rachet to ensure each chamber was locked consistantly and tightly. The double action fly (dog) on the hammer is a place where you can work to get a smooth transition and avoid some/all of that Ruger staging we are so familiar with. Don't shorten it or round it off. Just stone it. I lined up the hammer and trigger assembly on the side of the frame and cycled the action (without the spring) to see where the contact points were being made. The staging we feel will be from the hammer fly too long and causing contact of the DA shelf on the trigger a tad too soon, or too short, engaging the shelf late and at the wrong angle. Not much room for error there.

I don't have any drawings.

This Ruger and I have shot together since 1984. I can't guess how many rounds. Well over 15K. I know it well. I have even bled on it and discovered stainless does rust!

Hope this helps.

Legionnaire
August 23, 2006, 07:44 AM
Great hunting revolver. I've taken several whitetail with a scoped SRH. As others have said, there are lighter .44s out there, but I really like the Rugers.

Master Blaster
August 23, 2006, 09:19 AM
Ok thanks, I have to find my spring pack and swap the 17lb back in and see if after a couple thousand rounds it has improved. The single action pull with that spring is 100 percent unacceptable.

absolute0
August 23, 2006, 12:15 PM
I love my scoped 7.5" stainless model!

My gun had been worked on by the previous ownder, the first time I took it out I couldn't believe how accurate it is.

It's a keeper for sure :)

Confederate
August 23, 2006, 07:04 PM
I sometimes wonder why Ruger doesn't come out with a .44 Magnum that's lighter. I've often thought if I were young again, that I'd learn how to pare down guns and make them easier to carry. Guns like the Redhawk are wonderful designs, don't get me wrong -- but if I were going out in the middle of nowhere and needed a good revolver to carry with me, Ruger has nothing like the Smith 29/629 in a 4-inch barrel.

Seems to me we should have a choice between a horse pistol and a good carry pistol. The Redhawk is like a two-handed broad sword. It is strong, packs a whallop and weighs a ton. Unfortunately, the gun industry just doesn't really listen to users. It does listen to some of the writers, but it clearly marches to the beat of its own drummer.

If the Redhawk shaved some steel off the topstrap, took a little off the cylinder and the grips and came up with some light polymer neoprene grips instead, it could be made lighter without sacrificing strength.

Rich K
August 23, 2006, 07:35 PM
I have a 5 1/2 " SS Redhawk in 44 mag. A trigger job from Mag-Na-Port, and it shoots great. Killed a big whitetail in Michigan's upper peninsula 2 years ago, one shot and she dropped in her tracks. No complaints from me whatsoever.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger Redhawk .44" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!