LA police officer shot with assault rifle

PDA

PinnedAndRecessed
August 13, 2006, 10:35 PM
http://www.modbee.com/state_wire/story/12583376p-13291698c.html

LOS ANGELES (AP) - A young man sprayed a police car with bullets from an assault rifle during a traffic stop, wounding an officer before being shot himself, authorities said Sunday.
Two police officers pulled over a small black Honda in the Montecito Heights neighborhood northeast of downtown Los Angeles just after 11 p.m. Saturday.

"Before the officers could even open their doors, a passenger got out and start raking the car with gunfire from an AK-47," said police spokesman Lt. Paul Vernon.

One officer was hit twice in the abdomen through his bulletproof vest, Vernon said, and a third bullet nearly severed his hand. He was in critical condition.

As the second officer stepped out of the car and returned fire, the suspect charged at him but was shot in the leg and dropped his rifle, Vernon said.

The suspect tried to crawl away and was captured moments later on the porch of a nearby house.

The Honda's driver escaped on foot and was caught by police about 90 minutes later.

The police officer who shot the suspect was not hit, but had to have broken glass removed from his face.

"It's a miracle that either officer is alive, with the number of rounds fired," Vernon said. "This is a weapon like guys are facing in Iraq and Lebanon."

The officer who was shot had been on the force for less than two years, and was still in his required probationary period, Vernon said.

The Honda was reported stolen in Montecito Heights in late July, Vernon said. Both men in the car were in their early 20s, he said.

The names of the officers and the suspects were not immediately released.

If you enjoyed reading about "LA police officer shot with assault rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PinnedAndRecessed
August 13, 2006, 10:37 PM
Seeing as how the scumbags had already violated numerous laws being merely in possession of such a rifle, maybe it's time for Kommiefornia's politicians to be forced into rehab and allow the citizenry to deal with the problems.

What do you bet it was a couple of wanna-be gang bangers going through initiation?

taliv
August 13, 2006, 10:38 PM
that sucks.

Third_Rail
August 13, 2006, 10:39 PM
AK-47, real thing, from Mexico. Shocking. :rolleyes:

cassandrasdaddy
August 13, 2006, 10:50 PM
the cop not wounded showed more restraint than i would. you do that to me and hurt my partner you"re toast.i don't know how they hold back.

leadcounsel
August 13, 2006, 10:59 PM
musta been using those 'cop killer' bullets.

10-Ring
August 13, 2006, 11:02 PM
I saw that news report in this AM's news. The shots into the patrol unit were not random, the shooter knew what he was doing...cluster of shots on the passenger side & a short burst to the driver's side. Last I heard, the injured officer still may lose a hand over this :cuss:
This entire story left me upset & with several questions :scrutiny: :cuss:

nico
August 13, 2006, 11:11 PM
Does anybody know if it was a real AK47 or a semi-auto?

(yes, I realize it says "assault rifle" and "spray" but it's LA; they don't know the difference)

PinnedAndRecessed
August 13, 2006, 11:19 PM
Does anybody know if it was a real AK47 or a semi-auto?

(yes, I realize it says "assault rifle" and "spray" but it's LA; they don't know the difference)

Good question.

On a side note, the movie "Heat" inspired the bank robbery spree in LA about ten years ago. One of the perps was using an AK converted to full auto with parts he bought legally. You could buy the full auto parts but could not assemble them.

Phenom
August 13, 2006, 11:20 PM
An AK is an AK whether not it's full-auto. It's probably a SKS as it gets confused for an AK alot.

Don't Tread On Me
August 13, 2006, 11:20 PM
Nope. Don't believe it. Can't be possible. This story must be a fake. Assault weapons were banned in **********. The ********** government made the streets safer for children and police officers a long time ago by banning EBR's.

Erebus
August 13, 2006, 11:28 PM
maybe it's time for Kommiefornia's politicians to be forced into rehab and allow the citizenry to deal with the problems.

Not a chance. This will be heralded as evidence that they are not strict enough. Yea he had already broken many laws just to be in possession of that weapon but they won't see it that way. They will see it as evidence that they need to take more guns from the people who didn't shoot the officer.

Chavez in Venezuela just got a contract from the Russians to build an AK-47 factory in Venezuela so I expect to see those things start showing up on our streets shortly after the factory starts production.

Hey maybe Bloomberg will sue him?!

Outlaws
August 13, 2006, 11:42 PM
Just another reason why they should ban them. Wait... They are banned in california. Does that mean that criminals dont actually obey gun laws?

Nope. They will ommit that. Watch, they will mention how "using this vial weapon, the crimal legally bought the high powered armor piecing ammunition that is widely available for all kinds of these over powered machine guns."

Frog48
August 13, 2006, 11:59 PM
If those knuckleheads are willing to disregard homicide laws, they're surely willing to disregard gun control laws.

qlajlu
August 14, 2006, 12:05 AM
It makes a person wonder if the politicians ever realize that their stupid laws are just not working. Of course, if they did realize it then they would have to admit they are wrong. I doubt I will see the day when that happens.

gunsmith
August 14, 2006, 12:29 AM
has been discriminated against all his life and was forced into a life of
of poverty and desperation, those police officers were trying to oppress him.
Perhaps if we talk to him and resonate with love and hugs he will bond with society and become a loving nurturer.....

Sometimes I'm so good I scare myself

Justin
August 14, 2006, 12:36 AM
WHERE'S THE VAN?!

Evil Monkey
August 14, 2006, 02:42 AM
An AK47 in Kali?

Must have been this.
http://www.kitsune.addr.com/Firearms/Auto-Pistols/Intratec_TEC9.jpg

:D :D :D

AJAX22
August 14, 2006, 02:46 AM
Monkey, we can't get those either. they's banned.

Bad gun, BAD

no biscut

psyopspec
August 14, 2006, 04:09 AM
"It's a miracle that either officer is alive, with the number of rounds fired," Vernon said. "This is a weapon like guys are facing in Iraq and Lebanon."

Forgive me if I have my doubts. Honestly, thank God they don't have those things in Iraq or the bastards might have to learn how to aim one.

In the meanwhile, my wishes are with both officers. Losing a hand is hard, as is dealing with shooting someone for the first time.

jeepmor
August 14, 2006, 04:31 AM
a LEO. This kind of random violence is much more likely to be perpetrated on LEOs than just us regular working stiffs.

Hats off to LEO's that can live their life with an incident like this possible for them everyday.

jeepmor

Zen21Tao
August 14, 2006, 05:07 AM
I would actually like to know if any of these guys had a felony record that would have prevented them from owning ANY firearms in the first place. Cali sure likes to make a point of the particular weapon used when they should be looking at how these guys end up getting such a weapon to begin with.

What the PR of ********** needs is stricter prison sentencing guidelines that prevent such low lifes from getting out. Instead they have bleading heart liberals that cry "victim of envirnment" and "rehabilitation" then seek to pass stricter gun contol bans when their poor unfortunate "victims of society" commit more crimes. Here in Florida with our 10-20-Life gun crime sentencing these guys would be looking at life sentences.

EvisceratorSrB
August 14, 2006, 05:20 AM
The gun control laws apparently aren't working. And, I don't mean to side with California's laws. I'd love to buy an AK. But what would YOU do if you wanted to prevent crimes involved with assault weapons? I would love to hear your actual opinions.

Once again, I mean not to side with these laws but to ask if not these laws, then what?

Incidents like these aggravate me because they make honest gun enthusiasts, such as myself, miss out on all the fun you boys in TX and around the country are having :banghead:

Outlaws
August 14, 2006, 07:24 AM
The gun control laws apparently aren't working. And, I don't mean to side with California's laws. I'd love to buy an AK. But what would YOU do if you wanted to prevent crimes involved with assault weapons? I would love to hear your actual opinions.

Once again, I mean not to side with these laws but to ask if not these laws, then what?

Incidents like these aggravate me because they make honest gun enthusiasts, such as myself, miss out on all the fun you boys in TX and around the country are having

Ummm......lock them up and throw away the key? :evil:

Back in the day if you stole a horse you got strung up. You steal a car now an you get 30 days. You killed someone, and once upon a time you might not have made it to trial before a lynch mob came to take you away, and even if made trial, you still got strung up if found guilty. Now you turn the victim into the excuse and cop a plea.

The answer is simple. The world has too many people was it is and these have no reason to be in it.

For minor offenses, we got lots of jobs that need filling picking strawberries in California. They can sit around in prison when they hit 70 years of age or there abouts.

Number 6
August 14, 2006, 08:32 AM
But what would YOU do if you wanted to prevent crimes involved with assault weapons? I would love to hear your actual opinions.

The question is flawed, since it presupposes that crimes with assault weapons is a major issue that needs to be dealt with. Empirical and anecdotal evidence shows that assault weapons are used in very few crimes. Assault weapons then pose no greater threat to the public than a Ruger MKII. Regulating them and banning them does little to prevent the criminal use of them.

The question is then how do we prevent the use of any gun illegally and also reduce violence? Unfortunately there are no easy answers to that. I have not looked at the data recently, but the last data set I saw listed poverty as an indicator for violent crime. I am not sure if that has been disputed or not, but assuming that this connection has not been discredited, one thing to do would be to fight poverty. Trying point to assault weapons as a cause for violence is a red herring. Assault weapons provide a convenient symbol to attack politically. They look menacing and are well known in popular culture, and thereby provide a salient symbol for politicians. I have always been of the opinion that politicians use gun control as a means of not dealing with more deep seeded societal problems, that are more difficult to deal with and more expensive.

OH25shooter
August 14, 2006, 09:57 AM
At least LA has the manpower and common sense to have cruisers with two officers. Many large cities only have one-man cruisers. This same situation with a lone officer would have probably been deadly. Along with two escaped perps who undoubtly would not have turned themselves in.

benEzra
August 14, 2006, 10:17 AM

Incidents like these aggravate me because they make honest gun enthusiasts, such as myself, miss out on all the fun you boys in TX and around the country are having
EvisceratorSrB,

All rifles combined account for less than 3% of homicides nationwide, per FBI stats:

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius_04/offenses_reported/offense_tabulations/table_20-22.html

That figures includes all AR-15's, civvie AK-47 lookalikes, FAL's, SKS's, Winchester 94's, Remington M700's, .22's, everything. 2.8 percent.

Every year, many states report zero rifle homicides.

There is NO, repeat, NO rational reason to restrict civilian ownership of modern-looking rifles. The fact is, rifles of any description are very rarely used in crime, and anyone who claims otherwise is full of baloney.

armoredman
August 14, 2006, 10:34 AM
Also, look how many officers are shot ever year with thier own gun. Would it not then make San Fransico sense to disarm the police, to keep them from being shot?:what: Of course not.
According to those in power, you are the problem, you and your inanimate objects, which you have not ever used to commit a crime, and will likely never use to commit a crime. You, not the scumbags who shoot police, innocent bystanders, and anyone else foolish enough to be with a 10 mile radius of thier homicidal rages. Not them....you.

Erebus
August 14, 2006, 10:57 AM
But what would YOU do if you wanted to prevent crimes involved with assault weapons?

Make sure that someone who does commit such a crime never sees the light of day again. You can ban anything you want the black market will fill the demand for anyone who is willing to break the law.

It's like stopping drunk driving by banning alcohol.

It's just like the gun "safe" zones at schools to prevent children from getting shot.

If someone is willing to commit a major offense does anyone think that lesser offenses will even give them pause?

Zen21Tao
August 14, 2006, 12:17 PM
But what would YOU do if you wanted to prevent crimes involved with assault weapons?

Here is a novel idea. Perhaps laws are not made to prevent crime but to punish offenses once they happen. Order is maintained in society not by the threat of punishment for crimes but by the application of punishment. Punishment separates criminals from the law abiding and, if severe enough, may serve as deterrence. Law abiding citizens respect societal laws whereas criminals donít. The only answer for criminals is to put them away and not let them out. Simply put, it is not laws that deter crime but punishment.

Davo
August 14, 2006, 12:37 PM
Benezra, lets not concern ourselves with facts, Im more into "truthiness". You know what would have saved that cop...More gun control laws.

I just dry heaved.

bobmeusel
August 14, 2006, 12:58 PM
I just looked at the statistics on the ULR posted above. Just understand, that the selective use of statistics can support or reject any contention. Remember, someone once said there are lies, damn lies and statistics. Lets do talk about gun control laws. If gun control laws worked then there should be a corolation between a certain level of restriction and a reduced level of crime. It's not there...... If it were the Progun control segment has been very quiet about it. Look at Tiawan. It has some of the most severe gun control laws in existance, but it's hand gun killing rate is greater than that of the US per capata. All these data points really show us is that crime is a product of culture. If you live in an area where the culture is one of lawlessness then guess what.

Why does the US have a high rate of lawlessness as compared to other great countries. Well, look at the rates of convictions for violent crimes in other great countries as compaired to the US. You'll see a big difference.

What we really need is strict manditory sentences for criminals; and criminal is the key word here, that are convicted of violent crimes. Lets punish the criminals not the law abiding citizens. America should be the land of the free not the home of bleeding hart librals who want to feel sorry for some poor underprivleged SOB who's not responsible for their own actions.

Beware my friends. Keep up to date on who these gun grabbers are and their latest tactics and the WE as defenders of OUR right to keep and bare arms will usually have the upper hand in the battle for public opinion.

Bob Meusel

qlajlu
August 14, 2006, 01:40 PM
I have always been of the opinion that politicians use gun control as a means of not dealing with more deep seeded societal problems, that are more difficult to deal with and more expensive.
First of all I would like some one to give me a solid, sterling coated definition of an "assault weapon!" From what I have read over the years, in The Republic of ********** any thing that goes "BANG" is an assault weapon. I agree that any fully automatic weapon has no particular use in civilian armament, but some other features that "contribute" to the definition are just hogwash.

Passing more gun control laws is nothing more than "feel good" legislation. I have to agree with Number 6's evaluation. Has more gun control laws eliminated the perceived problem? NO! Absolutely not, nor will it.

Amish_Bill
August 14, 2006, 03:33 PM
Of course more laws will fix the problem. I mean, look at how well other attempts to legislate morality have worked... We can start with that american marvel Prohibition. :evil:

TriggerMan
August 14, 2006, 03:42 PM
No amount of laws is going to stop someone who wants to break them and has no fear of serving time, most of the crime in this country can easily be solved, 1st- give strict heavy time to first offenders of violent crime, 2 offence is life, 2nd- make prison a feared place, bring back chain gangs and make all prisoners work all day 7 days a week, feed them just enough to live, if we need more prisons build them. And 3rd- this will get me some flak but since it seems most crime is committed by gangs who make money by selling heavy drugs and people stealing to get money to buy the drug they are hooked on we should legalize drugs to take the profit out of it, face it, the drug war has never worked and never will, let the government sell marijuana and take all profits and use them to build prisons and for drug treatment plans for the people that are hooked and can't get off.

grislyatoms
August 14, 2006, 03:45 PM
Don't they have those wonderful "assault rifle" bans in California designed to prevent such incidents?:rolleyes:

Chaotic Mind
August 14, 2006, 08:16 PM
Aww crap! Great now the anti-2nd freaks in this state are going to go crazy and start hooting and yelling about how these guns are so dangerous and the rules on them can't be changed so us non-gangbanging citizens can own them! I was hoping that this crap might change soon. Wait! maybe the anti-2nders have a point! If regular citizens got these guns maybe we would all turn into gangbangers!:eek: I'm moving to AZ.

Old Fuff
August 15, 2006, 02:32 AM
Chaotic Mind:

I'm moving to AZ.

You'd be most welcome. We'll be glad to let you own any kind of rifle you want - even the EBR kind. No waiting period, no "restricted" list, and no state paperwork, just the Federal #4473 form.

Aint freedom wonderful??? :D

EvisceratorSrB
August 15, 2006, 03:03 AM
That makes me want to move to AZ so bad. Oh well, after boot camp for me, security forces will let me fire rifles you guys will never DREAM of shooting :neener:

If you enjoyed reading about "LA police officer shot with assault rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!