handgun receipt

PDA

zamboxl
August 14, 2006, 02:10 AM
Hey guys i have missplaced my hand gun reciept, now i was wondering if i would be in some kind of rouble for not having that paper work, and if there is some kind of way for me to proof the hand gun is mine?

If you enjoyed reading about "handgun receipt" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ugaarguy
August 14, 2006, 02:27 AM
Zamboxl, what state are you in? I have guns that I don't have receipts for, usually not a big deal. You might want to make a file on your computer with make, model, caliber, and S/N of your guns, then leave a hard copy in the safe deposit box in case anything happens.

Frog48
August 14, 2006, 03:06 AM
If you live in a gun-friendly state, it shouldnt be a problem.

However if the gun is ever stolen, without a receipt it would be difficult to file a claim with your insurance company. Pictures and serial number are *usually* good enough, but a receipt is ideal.

I've never dealt with such a situation, but my dad works for a large insurance company, and advised me to keep pictures, serial numbers, and receipts to expedite a claim.

Kor
August 14, 2006, 04:50 AM
It's not really that big of a deal.

If the gun is ever traced by law enforcement, they will follow the paper trail from manufacturer to wholesaler to dealer, who will still have the 4473 form you filled out with your info and the make/model/serial # of your gun, which should be adequate proof of ownership. It will just take longer than if you could produce your original receipt.

You could also ask your dealer nicely if they can generate a duplicate receipt for you - either photocopying the original(if it is still in their records, and not thrown out/destroyed after several years) or re-printing it if they use a point-of-sale computer program.

However, if you bought the gun face-to-face from a private party, you're out of luck unless you can somehow contact them to similarly obtain a duplicate bill-of-sale.

zamboxl
August 14, 2006, 09:49 PM
Well thanks for the info guys i live in FL, an i am not sure if they are gun friendly or not but from my point of view they sure aren't gun hostile. The only reason i was asking was becasue i had read somewhere something about carrying your gun and the paper work separately, if u dint have a permit, and you carried the gun in the car with you, but i am not sure what that was all about or what paper work since in FL u dont need a permit to carry a gun in your car.

KI4LIV
August 15, 2006, 07:49 AM
No permit required if it is "securely encased" - such as in the glove box in a snapped holster...

It can be cocked, locked and ready to rock - as long as it is securely encased.

And don't push your luck by carrying in the console - not enough case law exists in favor of carrying in the console for it to be a sure-shot win if you were to be arrested by an over-zealous rookie cop...

ugaarguy
August 15, 2006, 08:11 AM
Well thanks for the info guys i live in FL, an i am not sure if they are gun friendly or not but from my point of view they sure aren't gun hostile.

Fl, as well as most of the rest of the southeast are very gunfriendly states. They don't call Florida "The Gunshine State" for nothin. :evil:

If you enjoyed reading about "handgun receipt" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!