magazine modification question

PDA

word1207
August 14, 2006, 09:33 PM
Is it legal to modify your mag to house more rounds. I have a .45 Springfield with 13 round capacity, but I am a greedy, greedy man. I can't seem to find jack as to the legality of this. Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "magazine modification question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bartholomew Roberts
August 14, 2006, 10:31 PM
There is no longer any federal law prohibiting you from modifying your magazines to hold more rounds. There may well be state laws that prohibit that modification though. You need to check those laws.

SMMAssociates
August 14, 2006, 10:57 PM
There are also, legal issues in some cities - like Columbus OH.... :fire:

(I'm not sure if this applies there, but you get the idea....)

I really wanted to go to that NRA bash as long as it was close by - I've got family there that I visit regularly. Drop the wife at a mall and.... (Oooops.... Maybe drop her at a relative's house and hope they don't think of a mall.... :what: )

We're working to change that in Ohio.

All of that said, you can buy a lot of "extra capacity" magazines all over the place. No need to make 'em. But my understanding is that it's a definite "YMMV" situation. :(

Regards,

hankdatank1362
August 14, 2006, 11:01 PM
Legality aside, how can you modify a mag to hold more rounds? I have a Daewoo DH-40 which only holds 10 rounds of .40 caliber, and can't find any mags for it at all, much less any hi-caps. Even Century International Arms doesn't stock the mags (I called this morning). I'd be a lot happier if they held, say, 12 rounds? I know some were shipped to America that held 11 rounds, I just can't find any.

SMMAssociates
August 14, 2006, 11:29 PM
Hank:

You can cut the bottom off one magazine and weld some or all of another tube onto the bottom. Finding a spring may be an issue, and you'll likely need to start with a magazine tube that already extends below the bottom of the magazine well.... You also need to be able to attach a base to the lower tube. I don't think I'd try this with a double-stacker....

Springs aren't the biggest problem.... Doing the welding probably is....

I suppose a good enough welder could work with a shorter "top" tube and get it right (smooth and flat inside and out). I'd mess it up if I was able to use duct tape....

Another technique is that some magazines come with a "deeper" base pad - that usually will hold another round or two. Some of those base pads are kinda big & ugly but that's your problem :p .

Since all the really critical stuff - feed lips and (usually) magazine latch hardware are in the top tube you may be able to find something that's "close" and work with it. The spring has to physically fit in the tube and have the appropriate tension levels. I would think that you could find a spring for the same caliber that's designed for a magazine that holds "x" rounds for pistol "y" and use it in a home-grown magazine for pistol "z" with the same capacity.

We have now more than exhausted my knowledge of the subject. Not to mention my technical capabilities. I will now return to my project of the week - getting the dog to stop eating my ankle.... :neener:

Regards,

Zero_DgZ
August 15, 2006, 01:16 AM
With some mags you can shave the follower shorter and they'll still function fine. Allows for an extra round (single stacks) or two (double stacks). You can also rig up a custom floorplate (machining or epoxy putty is your friend...) that will let the spring sit lower than stock, thus allowing a couple more rounds in.

I shaved the followers on my old .25's mags and I squeezed another two rounds in there. Along with the +1 trick (one in the chamber, then insert a full mag) I upped the capacity from 6 shots to 9.

If you enjoyed reading about "magazine modification question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!