Headed to the Sandbox

PDA

ugaarguy
August 14, 2006, 10:15 PM
Well Folks, I got the word today that I'm replacing another Airman on an upcoming deployment. Hopefully I'll be able access THR and post from "over there." If not, y'all may not hear from me for a while starting sometime in the near future. For obvious reasons I can't be more specific about where "over there" is and how soon the "near future" is. I've seen tons of support for my brothers & sisters in arms from the folks here on THR and I appreciate it. I'll try my best to stay in touch.

If you enjoyed reading about "Headed to the Sandbox" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Baba Louie
August 14, 2006, 10:23 PM
Godspeed and come home safe, sound and sane

Tsonda
August 14, 2006, 10:37 PM
God speed and take care.

bakert
August 14, 2006, 10:41 PM
Take care. We'll be waiting for your return.

hso
August 14, 2006, 10:44 PM
Good luck.

Superpsy
August 14, 2006, 10:45 PM
God bless.

TECH79
August 14, 2006, 10:48 PM
Best of wishs and god bless. we will be waiting

45Guy
August 14, 2006, 10:53 PM
Good luck, keep safe.

stormspotter
August 14, 2006, 10:56 PM
Best wishes to you and your family while you're gone.

Leonard

Imaginos
August 14, 2006, 10:58 PM
Take care of yourself.
We need more people like you.

hankdatank1362
August 14, 2006, 10:58 PM
Stay safe. We appreciate everything you are doing for us. May God watch over you and your family while you are away.

Josh Aston
August 14, 2006, 11:07 PM
No matter how many times I go I still find it funny that only the AF cares to "protect" the location of deployments. Is this going to be your first deployment or no? Anyway, good luck, Godspeed, and I'll probably see you over there.

HSMITH
August 14, 2006, 11:35 PM
Stay safe. I went 'over there' in the early 90's and don't want to go back......

4v50 Gary
August 14, 2006, 11:53 PM
Stay safe and keep us in touch.

CB900F
August 14, 2006, 11:56 PM
Ugaarguy;

Take plenty of talcum powder, or cornstarch. Start hydrating early, it's very hard to catch up. Hopefully its a 90 & you're going to be on the downside of the heat cycle, but still drink till ya bloat. In the hot, temps of 160 f have been informally recorded 1 foot off the concrete on the flight line.

Take your own Eotech if you're going to be a shooter.

900F

Biker
August 14, 2006, 11:58 PM
Hey man, I might be up your way in the next week or two. If so, I'll buy ya a brew. If not, come home safe.

Biker:)

ACP230
August 15, 2006, 12:15 AM
Thanks for your service to the U.S.

Watch your back, eh?

AJAX22
August 15, 2006, 12:20 AM
Stay safe, Your actions are appriciated.

ugaarguy
August 15, 2006, 12:20 AM
Josh Ashton,
This will be my second time going, so I'm at least pretty familiar with where I'll be.

900F,
I went last summer so I hear ya on the talcum/cornstarch, and the hydrating. Funny how somewhere around 110 degrees riding in the back of pickup ceases to feel cooler and feels more like you're blowing thru a hair dryer. They tell us, and hopefully it's accurate, that we'll be home before the weather starts heating back up. I'm a comm/electronics maintainer, non flightline, so I shouldn't be shooting anything but rubberbands around the shop. Hopefully it's like last year and I never need to touch a weapon. Gotta love those ground pounder AF jobs where we hide in the middle of the Army's bases.

Biker, if the schedule permits I'll take you up on that offer.

All, thanks for your kind words, thoughts, and prayers.

Davo
August 15, 2006, 01:12 AM
Be safe, and try to take it all in. Write down your tales...document stuff and you wont forget it later. Then post em here for guys like us to read. Thanks for what your doing-really thanks.

leadcounsel
August 15, 2006, 01:15 AM
Thank you, God bless, be safe!

Old Fuff
August 15, 2006, 01:55 AM
Watch your backside... :evil: We'll be looking forward to your return. ;)

el44vaquero
August 15, 2006, 01:58 AM
head down
ears open

loki.fish
August 15, 2006, 02:07 AM
I'm with everybody else. Be safe and come back the way you left. Let everybody where you're going know that THR says the same to them :)

ugaarguy
August 15, 2006, 02:43 AM
Be safe and come back the way you left

I recently recovered from a medical problem, and I put on some weight during that. I plan to leave my gut there. :D Otherwise, God willing, I'll come back the way I left. Again many thanks to you fine folks here.

MisterPX
August 15, 2006, 02:47 AM
Your online time is gonna be regulated by your time off and your wallet. :D

Oh, and I better not hear you whining about a 4 mo dep. ;)

ugaarguy
August 15, 2006, 03:05 AM
Your online time is gonna be regulated by your time off and your wallet.

Oh, and I better not hear you whining about a 4 mo dep.

No whining from me, I know how good we "high speeds" have it. In the odd world of comm-electronics maintenance we sit in our workcenter for the duty day and wait for anything that needs to be fixed. It's hours of boredom interuppted by several minutes of terror. The nature of the game is that we have to be right there ready to fix it right now. Luckily our desktops have internet access to pass the time between right nows. You know us 'chair force' types need to be able to check our e-mail every 5 minutes to survive. ;) Hopefully I'll be able to access THR from there. Honestly, this should be a smooth deployment like it was last year. You just never know when the rockets and mortars start flying. Then you just throw on the helmet & body armor, and hit the bunkers till its over. Funny how being shelled becomes routine, but the human mind and body are very adaptable. Again, thanks for all your support highroaders.

ALHunter
August 15, 2006, 09:47 AM
Thanks for your service. Stay alert and safe.

entropy
August 15, 2006, 10:05 AM
Stay safe and report in when you can. Being as it is that you're AF, shouldn't be a problem for either. ;) Thank You for your service to your country, and for your eloquent answer in the 'gay marriage/gun rights' thread. It was locked before I could answer a resounding +1.

ilbob
August 15, 2006, 10:10 AM
Stay safe.

My personal thanks for going over there and protecting the rest of us from the thugs that want us all dead.

Stickjockey
August 15, 2006, 10:10 AM
We don't mind you leavin' the gut there, just don't bring back any extra holes!

Stay safe!

psyopspec
August 15, 2006, 01:29 PM
Good luck. Hope you're back on THR soon and back home sooner.

cmidkiff
August 15, 2006, 01:30 PM
Thanks for your service... and stay safe!

Correia
August 15, 2006, 01:33 PM
Stay safe, and good luck.

cavman
August 15, 2006, 02:00 PM
Good luck and God Speed. Enjoy your trip, and we look forward to your safe return.

peyton
August 15, 2006, 02:06 PM
Be Safe over there, do not ignore the sirens telling you incoming fire is occuring. While I was at LSA Anaconda, an airman on the flightline was killed by a mortar round. Oh, you can have Baskins Robbins Ice Cream 3 meals a day at the Dining Facility

Peyton

"Remember the air conditioner is for the computer, not the operator"

XD Fan
August 15, 2006, 02:10 PM
Every night my wife, my 4 year-old daughter, and I pray for you guys and gals that serving. Thank you.

Ric
August 15, 2006, 04:28 PM
Do what you got to do and come home.
God Bless

Autolycus
August 15, 2006, 04:42 PM
Good luck and check in. Make sure to come back. If possible keep a blog so that others can read it.

Q-Lock
August 15, 2006, 05:02 PM
Good luck, stay safe! And lastly, thank you for your service!

We'll keep you in our prayers.

kikr
August 15, 2006, 05:31 PM
Your already a Hero, just come home safe. Check Six and Godspeed.

308nato
August 15, 2006, 09:51 PM
Good luck and stay safe.
thanks for your service from an Old ex A.F. aircraft mech.

10-Ring
August 15, 2006, 09:54 PM
Godspeed borther & we'll keep your space warm for ya' :cool:

Frog48
August 15, 2006, 10:01 PM
Thanks for your service. Stay safe! The prayers of many will be with you and all servicemen that are in harms way.

ugaarguy
August 15, 2006, 11:49 PM
"Remember the air conditioner is for the computer, not the operator"
LMAO, Peyton, are you a 2E2? Winter in SW Idaho and our operators think the heater is keep them warm and toasty and overheat the comps. They forget it's there to keep the comps warm, as in not frozen, but not hot.

My personal thanks for going over there and protecting the rest of us from the thugs that want us all dead.
I'd rather be there tying up their resources to attack me there than attack me, my family, friends, and fellow Americans here.

For all the hero comments, I'm no hero, just an airman keepin the electronics working. The guys that are goin door to door, hand to hand, face to face with the enemy are the real heros. I'm just doin my job, but I appreciate the support and kind words.

All, once again, many, many thanks for the prayers for us. I've still got several days before I leave so I'll be here for a bit more. Y'all keep the families of the deployed in your prayers; I truly think its harder for them than us.

Hoploholic
August 16, 2006, 01:11 AM
From one Zoomie to another, good luck, God speed and stay safe.

TSgt Jim Easley 2A071B
Okinawa, Japan

If you enjoyed reading about "Headed to the Sandbox" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!