What got you into owning guns??

PDA

BergaminoCAV
August 15, 2006, 01:08 PM
My father always had guns in the house, as a teenager I was always into them but I would never wanted to spend my money on them because my father would let me use his, after spending 6 years in the army with a rifle and pistol by my side almost every day I felt empty when I got home, like somthing was missing, so I bought my first pistol ( H&K USP 45acp) and it was all downhill from there.

If you enjoyed reading about "What got you into owning guns??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RandomAvenger
August 15, 2006, 01:11 PM
I grew up around guns and have been shooting them since I was about 8. It just seemed to be the logical thing to do, considering howmuch I enjoy shooting.

Plus I love reading the complaints in the local newpaper about how loud the local gun range is!

Sika Stalker
August 15, 2006, 01:29 PM
It very simple for most people its nearly always family
For me it was my oyld man seeing him shoot clays for ireland and then going out deer stalking with him.:)

Superpsy
August 15, 2006, 01:38 PM
a friend's dad took me target shooting with an old single-shot .22...then pastor took me shooting (target) with shotgun and .22

the watershed moment was my junior year in college...everyone on that floor owned guns :what: they kinda drew me in....:D

Zen21Tao
August 15, 2006, 01:47 PM
Going hunting with my uncle from the time I was about 10 years old. This led to me getting my own 12 gauge and .22lr at 12 years old.

'Card
August 15, 2006, 01:51 PM
I'm from rural West Virginia.

*shrug*

It would be much more unusual if I didn't own a bunch of guns, to be honest.

Deer Hunter
August 15, 2006, 01:58 PM
As my handle implies, I hunt deer. My entire family hunts. My mother's father collected, as did her brother. She helped them cast bullets when she was younger. My father has always owned guns.

I have pictures of me in diapers, red rubber boots, and two SAA replica toy pistols shoved down my diapers. My mother says that when I was very young, I would walk out onto the porch, draw an imaginary gun from my holster, aim at a bird, say "Tau! Tau!" (Sounds like the "tow" in "Tower"), then reholster my weapon, and walk back inside. Every picture of me from 2-9, I've got some kine of gun or knife in my hands, mainly plastic except for my Red Rider bb gun.

And no, I never did "shoot my eye out". I shot the eyes out of birds and lizards, though. :neener:

Ben Shepherd
August 15, 2006, 01:59 PM
I'm from Utah, born and raised mormon.

Out here you are a piker if you don't have at least 1 full gun safe.

Family thing several generations old. On moms side we have a muzzle loader that was built by Daniel Boone for a family member.

NeveraVictimAgain
August 15, 2006, 02:01 PM
I was attacked by two young guys with baseball bats in a case of mistaken identity.
I have now carried a pistol for 12 years. Mostly a Makarov, now a KT P11.
I did not grow up around guns and am teaching myself to shoot. I like sighted target shooting for fun and point shooting for SD.

Bubbles
August 15, 2006, 02:02 PM
I blame Sarah Brady.

Prior to the hoopla in '94 coming up to the AW ban I'd never shot a gun in my life. There was so much on the news about it that I decided to go to a gun store and see what the big deal was. Wasn't long before I took a safety class, then more advanced classes, got my CCW, and got bit by the NFA bug.

Thanks Sarah!

BIGDADDYLONGSTROKE
August 15, 2006, 02:03 PM
I grew up around firearms I remember going rabbit hunting with my dads .22lr on our land. But moslty when I got older and my brother got out of the service he got into to IPSC and I would practice with him and went to a few competetitions been hooked ever since.

The odd thing is the more I hang around THR the more guns I buy, wierd.:D

XD Fan
August 15, 2006, 02:16 PM
I blame Sarah Brady.

Prior to the hoopla in '94 coming up to the AW ban I'd never shot a gun in my life. There was so much on the news about it that I decided to go to a gun store and see what the big deal was. Wasn't long before I took a safety class, then more advanced classes, got my CCW, and got bit by the NFA bug.

Thanks Sarah!

God bless that woman. She keeps recruiting for us!:evil:

Grew up hunting and listening to my dad's tales of hunting. most every story he told had a gun in it somehow. Oddly enough, he still has a real antipathy for handguns. I am working on him though. I think he is interested in shooting a little Taurus .22 revolver I recently bought. Also, as he lives in rattle snake country, I think I have him talked into buying a revolover I recently saw that will fire .45 LC or a .410 shotgun shell.

RioShooter
August 15, 2006, 02:17 PM
Katrina

orangelo
August 15, 2006, 02:43 PM
AWB did.

The_Shootist
August 15, 2006, 02:44 PM
Almost 10 years ago I emigrated from Canada to the US - Texas to be exact.

Well, things were pretty low key until one Saturday night a bunch of drunken morons started banging on my door, intimating they were going to do some major remodeling on myself and my apt. I had no idea who they were (likely a case of mistaken identity) so I grabbed a kitchen knife, yelled back through the door I was armed (which was sorta true :D ) and surprisingly, things got real quiet as they decided they had better things to do.

That got me thinking - I was at a disadvantage as far as personal defense goes so I started cruising around the gun boards and bought a S&W 617, .22LR calibre revolver, 6 shots. In a dim light (heck, maybe in ANY light) it would pass for a pretty business like piece, and if push came to shove I figured loaded with Stingers, it might buy me some time. I figured it was a good place to start.

I wasn't your average gun-phobic left-wing munchkin loving Canadian dedicated to tip-toing thru the tulips and singing Kumbaya. I had owned 2 shotguns and two rifles in Canada so I was comfortable with firearms and certainly the concept of using them for self-defense.

Well, after about 3 mos (and 5000+ rds of .22 expended) I got kinda bored, went back to my original gunshop and bought a police trade in S&W Model 915 9mm. Kinda big, but at least it fired REAL bullets. Since I had been in Texas for about 9 mos, I also filled out the paperwork to get my CHL.

Now I'm on my second renewal of a CHL, a US Citizen and 8 handguns (and 1 AK-47) later. All because some guys banged on my door one night (yeah, any old excuse will do). I also still have my original 617, I guess for sentimental value.

As well, now that I'm so well armed, in 10 years nobody else has banged on my door or confronted me in public. But I wouldn't do anything differently.

CNYCacher
August 15, 2006, 02:56 PM
Two reasons:
www.a-human-right.com
www.thehighroad.org

I was in to bb guns when I was younger, but that kinda fizzled out. Never actually got into hunting growing up, although my dad has been a big hunter since he was young, and tried to get me interested. Starting about 5 years ago, I had been wanting more and more each year to get into hunting. It was weird, every fall I found myself thinking about how cool it would be to be out in the woods hunting, and each year it got worse. Well I finally did it. Getting into deer hunting for the first time at 25 years old is not something you hear about every day, but I am hooked on it. I was twice as old as the average person in the safety class. :)
Owning my first shotgun got me interested in guns again, but finding these two websites is what got me IN to guns like I am now. One day I followed a link to A Human Right off of someone's sig line in another forum, it was all over after that. Now I own three guns and, well, you know I have a bunch more on my wish list.
Thank you Oleg, and all the other THR-ers!

Fosbery
August 15, 2006, 03:02 PM
When I was a kid, I somehow got it into my head that breaking bottles and perferating tin cans was a worthwhile pursuit, and bought myself a pellet gun. It occured to me one day that my pellet gun had some serious limitations in rate of fire, range, accuracy and power. So I begged my parents to get me a .22 rifle and a few months later I was the proud owner of a Ruger 10/22. It grew and grew from there (although it shrunk a couple of times too thanks to the Nazi regimes we tend to get in this country nowadays) until I one day realised that guns wern't just fun, they were important for other things too, like not being forced to wear a star on my shirt, and not getting stabbed in the face.

pax
August 15, 2006, 03:33 PM
Grew up around 'em, sort of -- went deer hunting every year with my dad. Never had handguns, never thought of self defense. After I got married, I had a battered old .22 rifle underneath my bed, but rarely got it out.

Fast forward a few years. Husband and I finally made our escape from urban life. We moved to a house in the country on a busy-ish rural highway. I was pregnant with Baby #5, and husband worked late-night hours.

Right around the time the first drunk crashed into our ditch and asked to use the phone, it occurred to me that perhaps I should have a gun or something for defense. By the time the second one did so (two weeks later), I knew I really ought to get past the "ought to" and into action.

When I got serious about making our house safer, we first bought throw-out-the-window fire ladders for upstairs. And more smoke alarms. And brighter lights for the outside areas. And better locks for the doors. Then we went looking for a gun.

At first I thought I wanted a shotgun for defense. That's what everybody says to do, right? Get a shotgun, you don't even have to aim it, just the noise will make an intruder crap his pants. Put it up high where the kids can't get it.

That was bad advice, by the way. Except on rare and unpredictable occasions, my children have never been the sweet, innocent, adorable types who play peacefully together or quietly by themselves and always do what they're told. Frankly, they were born monsters -- you know, the kind of kids who will get into the Christmas gifts and will slide down the staircases and will climb apple trees and will take the radio apart with a screwdriver and will get behind the wheel of the car if mom accidentally leaves her keys in. We've civilized them, sort of, but only with great effort and at a horrendous cost in terms of energy spent.

Even if I'd been able to convince myself that my normal children were inhumanly good after all, a toddler sitting on my fridge one afternoon convinced me that "hiding stuff up high" to keep it out of kids' hands was just a really stupid thing to do.

So where in the world could I safely fit an easily-accessible long gun into our home? I couldn't. It just wasn't possible. If I couldn't get at it when I needed it in a hurry, there wasn't any point in having it at all, I figured.

And that's where I left it for a long time. Yes, I ought to have a gun. But no, there wasn't any way to store one where I could get to it in a hurry but a child could not get to it at all.

(What, train the kids? I believe in training kids, ask anyone about that, but ... kids are human beings. Human beings make mistakes. I was not going to bet my children's lives on the slim chance that they were actually the first perfect human beings ever born into my family.)

Not too long after I'd sighingly given up the idea of getting a gun for defense, a family friend revived his long-dormant interest in shooting. At his invitation, I joined him and some other friends at an impromptu range session out in the woods. He brought handguns along and urged me to try one.

I was hooked. And as I blazed away with a handgun for the first time in my life, I realized I was holding the solution to my home-defense needs. If I had a handgun, I could simply put it into a holster and carry it around with me during the day and evening hours when I was solely responsible for the house and children. I might not know what the little darlings were up to in the next room, but by golly if I couldn't keep them out of trouble when they were standing right next to me I was a poor excuse for a mom.

At the same friend's urging, I signed up for a firearms training class about a week after I received my first carry permit.

So, that's the tale. I owe a debt of thanks to buddy Don (he goes by username tstr on THR and TFL, but rarely posts). It's all his fault.

pax

JohnBT
August 15, 2006, 03:54 PM
I tried playing with dolls and having little tea parties, but didn't enjoy it nearly as much as shooting and hunting. :uhoh:

That, and at about age 5 my grandparents gave me a BB gun outfit with cleaning kit and wall rack. And my father was a State Trooper. And my uncles were gun traders. Well, you get the idea.

John

dragongoddess
August 15, 2006, 04:01 PM
I really don't know what motivated me last November to to purchase my first handgun but it happened. Maybe it was the Gun Shop that opened just 3 mins from my house. Whatever it was it hit me hard and has not let up since. I've been joking about belonging to the shops gun a month club. Truth be known its probably the 2 gun a month club. In fact I may pick up another weapon today.

Sonny74
August 15, 2006, 04:02 PM
About 3 years ago one of my friend took me to the range and show me how to shoot. I was hooked ever since. Now I own 3 handguns 1 rifle, have a CHL and regularly compete in USPSA.

So go and take a noob to the range. It could change his/her life for the better.

cavman
August 15, 2006, 04:10 PM
Last Fall a friend from back home in Maine was re-telling me of how he was trying to finish off a deer he had shot the week before. Wounded it and blood-trailed it late into the night when he lost the trail.

Found it the next morning and was going to shoot it with his Glock 9mm, to finish it off. Couldn't hit it from about 15 feet away.

Simply got me to a'thinking if I could hit something with a pistol.

Now 10 months later, tonight, I am going to a Bullseye match.

who knew?

have a great day,
cavman

qlajlu
August 15, 2006, 04:22 PM
I'm from Utah, born and raised Mormon.

Out here you are a piker if you don't have at least 1 full gun safe.

Family thing several generations old.
Same with me. Utah born and raised. When I was about 8 years old my father gave me a Red Rider BB gun. It became my best friend. Any sparrow landing in trees on our property were chancing their own life. Red-headed sparrows were a special prize. I learned a lot about Kentucky Windage from that gun since the sights were not worth a pound of powdered owl pucky. :rolleyes:

Graduated to a pellet gun. Same story, sights and all.

My Dad, his Dad, and his brothers went deer hunting/camping together every fall and I just fell into it along with a couple of cousins. The opening deer hunt weekend in Utah was/is a NATIONAL HOLIDAY. Even the schools closed the Friday before because everyone was headed up the mountain to their "camps."

Got my first promotion in the Marine Corps for shooting high range score on qualification day, but that is another story.

Right now I own enough firearms to equip a small third world nation. Not all of them are the most modern weapons, but I wouldn't trade or sell any of them.

TallPine
August 15, 2006, 05:00 PM
Mostly Roy Rogers and Gene Autry ;)

Plus I grew up (well, that I'm still working on) in the era when little boys played with capguns and such.

My first real firearm was a .50 caliber T/C Hawken replica. (unfortunately, that one got stolen)

For years, I was too busy with work and family (and too broke) to have more than a passing interest in guns. About ten years ago, I started getting serious and adding to my "collection" every chance I got.

I still like single action revolvers and lever action rifles ;)

birddog
August 15, 2006, 05:22 PM
I married into a hunting family, forever changing the path of my life.

My brother-in-law (Mantis) got me into handguns, forever changing my credit rating.

Damn them all!!!!!!

kikr
August 15, 2006, 05:30 PM
I hated guns growing up but since I was a kid all I wanted to do was be a police officer. I joined the Navy and went to basic training 3 days after graduating high school. Went through basic training, and reported to my boat for duty and was waiting to go to "A" school. I got lucky and instead of being assigned to deck dept, I got to be the Master-At-Arms Yeoman. My roommate was an MA and we moved out of the barracks and got an appartment together so that he could have his guns. Finally convinced me that if I was going to graduate from "A" school that I'd have to learn to shoot before going so that I could qualify for the class. After "A" school I got to go to the Army's SRT, the Navy's SSET, and I was totally hooked. Never been a day since that I havent had a gun on my hip.

dracphelan
August 15, 2006, 05:35 PM
Well, I grew up playing with guns. On my 10th birthday, my father bought me a BB rifle. Then, I got a pellet pistol. In high school I was on the JROTC rifle team. In college, I joined the pistol team. After graduating college, money was tight and I didn't buy a firearm until I bought my house (1911). Then I bought a pistol for my wife (HiPoint Comp9). Then a friends Star BM. Then a SKS. Then a Savage 30.06. Got into reloading. Bought an AR15. Bought a Marlin 60. Bought a S&W 64. Bought a Taurus 455 (so I could practice and keep the 45 brass). Bought a Marlin 1894c. And, it still going on.

Father Knows Best
August 15, 2006, 05:57 PM
I grew up around guns. My father was (and is) an avid collector, particularly of military firearms and memorabilia. In fact, he promoted one of the first "military relic" shows (gun shows restricted to military firearms and accoutrements) for many years, and I earned extra money as a kid by helping him with the mailings, setting up and taking down the shows, running ticket sales, etc. My first job, at age 13, was "pit boy" for the local gun club on trap nights. I'd sit in the pit and reload the trap thrower, and at the end of the night would restock the skeet houses and sweep up the range, all for $2 an hour cash. For my 16th birthday, my dad gave me my very own rifle.

Then I went away to college, and became a liberal. My rifle sat in my dad's gun cabinet (remember when everyone had glass-front gun cabinets instead of safes?), and I started to buy into the leftist rants about guns and gun control. I became convinced that the NRA was evil, and the 2nd Amendment was outdated and probably didn't guaranty individual rights, anyway.

Around my senior year of college, I got involved with a group of real outdoorsmen. These were guys (and some girls) who really believed in the indepedendent, frontier spirit, and lived their lives in accordance. Of course, most of them hunted. I lived for a year in "the cabin" -- a rather primitive structure whose main source of heat was a stone fireplace. I split my own firewood. I got an honest job doing real labor, and learned to take pride in my accomplishments.

I went to law school, but stayed plugged in with my outsdoormen friends. In law school, I actually read the Constitution and the Bill of Rights for the first time, and important other documents like the Federalist Papers. I learned critical thinking and reasoning, and started to develop my own political philosophy. In short order, I rejected alot of the liberal/communist crap I'd swallowed.

Following law school, I took a job in downtown Detroit, and rented a loft not far from my office. I heard gunfire most nights, usually around 2-3 a.m. after the bars let out. I had a few tense moments with the local elements while walking home from work late at night, and some incidents in my building led me to conclude that I needed some protection handy. I mentioned it to my dad, and he showed up at my door the next day with a Remington 870 Express and several boxes of shells, including some police buckshot loads he got from a friend of his who ran the state police range. He told me to load two of the buckshot in the tube, followed by two birdshot. If I needed the 870, the sound of the action being worked might just send the bad guys running. If it didn't two rounds of birdshot would be a pretty effective dissuader without much danger to neighbors. If that didn't do the trick, I'd still have two shells of 00 buck at the ready....

I only pulled out the 870 once while living there, but thankfully never had to use it. One night a cop was killed in a shootout right outside my window, though, and it was time for me to move.

A few years later, I was married and expecting my first child -- a son. For some reason, I had an overpowering urge to buy a gun for him. The first pistol I had ever fired was a Ruger 22, and the year was 1999, so I went out and bought a Ruger Mk II 50th Anniversary model pistol for my son. It sits in the safe to this day, waiting for him to be old enough to have it.

Not long after that, a buddy of mine invited me to go with him to a cowboy action match. I went, and had a blast. I hadn't been shooting in more than 12 years, but it all came back to me. I was hooked, and quickly got heavily into the CAS game (I still am). About the same time, the "shall issue" concealed carry wave swept the nation. I was living in Tennessee then, and got my carry permit. My dad was so pleased that he gave me a Glock 26 to use as a carry gun. I've since gotten back into trap and skeet, taken up sporting clays, and dabbled in IDPA. More importantly, I joined the NRA and got active in politics on the "right" side.

22-rimfire
August 15, 2006, 06:57 PM
Father Knows Best >> good story!

I grew up around firearms, hunting and fishing. We lived in the country and it was perfectly natural to grab the BB guns had head to the creek when we were young. Later we grabbed our 22 rifles and did the same.

In my teens, I bought a 22, 243, 270, but no shotgun. Shotgun came after college when life settled down. That is when I started buying and shooting handguns. At first, handguns were a way to have a gun that was not easily seen as I was on the road a lot and worked in the country. Shooting was great recreation then. The handgun thing continues to this day and I still love 22's.

EvisceratorSrB
August 15, 2006, 07:10 PM
I'm the odd one out of you guys. My whole immediate family has not fired a gun once. And my grandfather was in WWII, but that's about it! I was just fascinated for some unknown reason and I became knowledgable without any hands on experience about different firearms and cartridges. Until my M48, I had not fired one rifle. What a rifle to fire first :D I've been going shooting once every week since May or so (1 month after my 18th bday). I see no reason to stop buying firearms so I think this trend will last forever :evil:

greenflash107
August 15, 2006, 07:25 PM
As with most of the post here, I grew up with guns. 22's, 410, and 12 gage when I was 8 or so. After I married, started buying larger. 7.62x59, 30-30, 30-06, 300 mag and so forth. Loved my Pistols even more.

the pistolero
August 15, 2006, 07:26 PM
I did something very, very stupid one night not quite a year and a half ago. About 10:30 at night, after I'd gone to bed (had school in the morning), I heard a knock at my door. And what did I do? Answered it. I haven't the foggiest idea as to what I was thinking. Lucky for me, it was just someone who wanted to know where a friend of his was, who apparently lived in the apartment I lived in before I moved in. Later on, I thought, if that had been someone intent on getting in, taking my stuff and leaving me at room temperature in a crumpled heap on the floor, there would have been very little I could have done. God only knows how many home invasions happen just like that. Tax time was coming up, so I started doing research, and about a week later a family friend put me in touch with an old school friend of his who had an FFL. April 15 rolled around, and I went and picked up a Ruger P89, went and shot it that weekend, and I was hooked. Been to the range every week since then, almost, with maybe four missed weeks due to Hurricane Rita and, more recently, my car acting up. I don't see me ever getting tired of it...in fact, I am about to pony up for a bigger safe to store all my guns. The one I have now is getting crowded. :D

michael_aos
August 15, 2006, 07:44 PM
I grew up with guns, but left everything with my parents as I bounced around to various locations with the military.

I eventually purchased a Springfield .45 ACP for CCW and soon discovered it was expensive to shoot. So I bought a 9mm (CZ75B). Then a .22 (Browning BuckMark).

It wasn't too long after that, that I discovered a 1911 forum, and delved into organized shooting sports. Then it was just all downhill from there....

:D

Mike

AZTOY
August 15, 2006, 07:51 PM
I grew up around guns, mostly hunting rifles.:rolleyes:

Sarah Brady and AWB, is want got me hooked on the evil guns.:neener:

308nato
August 15, 2006, 10:33 PM
Like TallPine I started watching old westerns as a kid and when I was old
enough my first was a Colt SA 22 chrome plated with walnut grips.
That was the first of a long affair with guns

evan price
August 15, 2006, 11:23 PM
Shot .22's at Boy Scout summer camp, 16-ga skeet, and once our Scoutmaster let us shoot his S&W revolver, a .357, on a camping trip. Big difference between that and a .22! It fascinated me. Me Want Big Boom!

I realized that the world is not a nice place and good guys don't always finish on top at the end like movies show. Sometimes you got to fight when you're a man, to quote Kenny Rogers. There are three types of people: Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs. Sheep bleat all day about wanting to be protected from being victims. Wolves prowl the herd of sheep and take out the weak ones. Sheepdogs keep the wolves at bay and are not victims unless overrun or caught by surprise, and usually, the wolves move on to a sheep if they discover a Sheepdog.

Bought my first gun the day after my 21st birthday (once the hangover had cleared enough to drive to the gun store). Been buying steadily since then. Started carrying on a Florida nonresident. Not any of my family to this day knows I had been carrying for a long time before my OH CCW. Now I have a legal CCW so I carry everywhere I can legally or without losing my job.

First learned to question the media at a young age; what finally got me thinking for myself was the whole furor about Glock pistols, "The Plastic Gun" that slips through Xray machines, etc. Once I realized that about 99% of what was being cried out about Glocks was total utter bullshize, I started checking other "facts" of the media and finding out that the editorial pages of my newspaper carried more "factual" news than most network stories. So I bought my first Glock. (Don't get me started about NBC's "GM Truck Sidesaddle Gas Tank Inferno" story, or the "Tippy Suzuki Samurai" story!)

Problem was, I still had an unfinished personal philosophy so I filled it in as I went; I initially did not like the NRA because I felt they were too unwilling to compromise; after all no hunter needs "EBR Assault Weapons" so why shouldn't they be banned? I was the budding liberal gunny back then. I once felt that there was no need for any semiautos pistol or rifle. Revolvers were fine, everything else, maybe we should compromise on this? Ban semiautos. Fine. I only kept a single box of ammo around, locked up, away from the gun, kept gun in a locked box in the bottom of the closet. Who needs a gun? It's a hobby like owning horses.

Wow was I screwed up back then. After a few incidents where my possession of a firearm kept me from being left to die out in the desert or in a back alley, long reading of all of the articles of our government, and opening my eyes to the world as it is now, I am 180 degrees reversed. I won't join NRA because they are TOO likely to compromise! 2A means, all arms, no BS! Got into EBR's because, I wanted to eventually, and now that AWB is outa here, best time, before 2008 politics makes it impossible to get them.

Oh as for ammo. My ammo dump twenty years later is large enough that I would need a pickup truck just for ammo if I moved. My neighbors joked that if my garage ever caught on fire they are fleeing the county.

Molon Labe, dude.

Abby
August 15, 2006, 11:54 PM
I grew up in a hunting family. That is, hunting - not shooting. There were guns in the house, and they were for the various hunting seasons (Dad had one .22 pistol for shooting possums in the grain bin). We took out the ones we intended to use for hunting shortly before said season, fired several rounds at paper plates. Then we went hunting. Then we cleaned the guns and put them back. I enjoyed hunting, and the guns.

Then came the Marine Corps and that abso-freakin'-lutely wonderful rifle marksmanship training. After a couple years in the Corps, I realized that I really really really liked the range. If one focused, and did the simple things right, one shot well. And the more I shot the better I got.

I bought/shot/sold a couple of pistols my last year in the Corps (always needed the money - young sergeants need a LOT of beer).

When I got out and moved in with my (now) husband (also a Marine, but grew up urban), my dad sent a .22 and my old 20 gauge to live with us. That first fall (in MN), I realized it was almost DEER SEASON. So we armed ourselves appropriately (I borrowed Dad's Model 88 .308, bought hubby a Model 70 in same). And we had a blast. For two fairly competitive people, we found we had a HOOT hunting together.

So we bought 10/22s (for squirrels). And some pistols (for the heck of it). And it's been downhill from there. Someday, when the Marine Corps stops moving us around, we can buy even MORE guns without thinking, "are we getting to the point where the movers are going to call the FBI about us?" :evil:

Honestly, although I deeply enjoying hunting and shooting of all kinds, I probably wouldn't enjoy it half as much if it weren't something Mr. Abby and I had so much fun doing together.

(And yes, I gave Dad his .308 back. But told him not to trade it for a chainsaw or anything, as I intend to "borrow" it again as needed)

Ala Dan
August 16, 2006, 12:02 AM
Got married to my wonderful bride in Dec. '68, and on the first trip into
her homeland (Sevierville, TN), I was introduced too quite a collection
of firearms; owned by her dad and brother. Ever since, FIREARMS have
been on MY "HOT LIST"~!:cool: :D

rangerruck
August 16, 2006, 12:07 AM
Was in the army, fired everything under the sun. then when I got out, i didn't even think of a weapon for 10 or more years. Then our company sold a register system to collector's firearms here in houston. they said to my boss, "hey, instead of us paying you, how about taking it out in trade?" My boss said yes, I got a keltec P11, and that was all she wrote.

lawson
August 16, 2006, 12:48 AM
i grew up hunting and fishing. guns were always a part of life.

guns for hunting and shooting, not for self defense.

a lot of saturday afternoons were spent busting clays with dad's old 20 ga SxS or making cans jump with his Henry .22.

we lived in a nice area, somewhere between the suburbs and the country. we never worried about safety, and never needed to.

then i grew up and joined the navy. a few years later, i returned to my home state and got a job in the city, and an apartment in a decent neighborhood. I didn't own any guns because my budget was tight, and my dad had more than enough hunting arms to go around.

within a year, that decent neighborhood entirely changed. the nice families that lived in my apartment complex mostly left for the newly built cheap housing in the new suburbs springing up on the outskirts of the phoenix area. the apartments around me filled up with a worse element of humanity. it only got worse, but i was working too many hours to look for another place, so i stuck it out for a while. police helicopters circled the neighborhood almost every night. i'm a big guy, i figured i could take care of myself. i bought a good folding knife and started carrying it, and a baseball bat to hang out next to my bed.

and then one night i woke up to the sound of broken glass. i ran into the living room with the bat, and sent an intruder running. i considered myself lucky, because after reporting the incident i found out they had caught the guy breaking into another apartment on the street, and he had in his posession a bag of methamphetamine and a handgun. i realized that i should not bring a bat to a potential gunfight.

the next day, i traded in the baseball bat for a 12 gauge Winchester 1300, which still hangs out next to my bed. less than a month later I had a Ruger GP-100 and a CCW permit, and piece of mind. i went to the range at least three times a week to gain back the skills i had lost after years of not shooting.

this year i moved to a nice house in the suburbs, but i still keep the Winchester next to my bed and a pistol on my belt.

oh, and somewhere along the road i was introduced to THR (thanks, Britton), and realized i didn't have NEARLY enough guns :D

Bobo
August 16, 2006, 12:52 AM
Never cared to own a gun - never felt the need for one for 67 years.

Having an open mind, the rise in violent crime in general and what happened during Katrina specifically, showed me the light!

I now carry 24/7, hit the range twice a month, and dry practice every chance I get.

MikeH
August 16, 2006, 12:59 AM
I was raised in countries that banned guns. Can't say that firearms were the only things that facsinated me, but I did enjoy all those stories my dad told me about his M1 Garand while serving in the Taiwan Army.

When I came to the States, I set my goals at getting into flying and shooting (not necessarily at the same time). Flying is still out of my reach financially, but thank God I can afford to buy guns 'n ammo. :)

Taurus92 in KyleTX
August 16, 2006, 01:13 AM
I seem to be in a minority here. I grew up in a household where anything beyond a cap gun was taboo. My dad wouldn't allow real guns in the house. (My mom, on the other hand grew up on a farm, and has a story or two where she had need to grab her father's old shotgun.)

I got a pellet gun in college, but don't really count that.

Fast forward to a year and a half ago, and my wife was pregnant with our first kid. While she was getting the nesting instinct, I was feeling the instinct to do something about home protection.

Since I live in a two story house with the master bdrm downstairs, and the to-be-kid's room upstairs, I figured a pistol would be better for grabbing and running upstairs versus the shotgun option in case of a nighttime break-in.

So, I went to the local indoor range with a buddy, and rented a snubby revolver (S&W .38sp), having never shot anything stronger than my air rifle. Impressed by my beginners' luck, I felt ready to try out a semiauto. I went back a couple of weeks later, rented a Glock 23, hated it, and settled on 9mm, after shooting a Ruger P95. I was set to buy the Ruger, when I saw a Taurus 92 on sale for just a little bit more.

I got hooked, managed to convince my wife that I "needed" a shotgun to compliment the pistol. Being invited by her brother to go dove hunting didn't hurt in that conversation, either.

After that, it's been quite the slippery slope... I got a Ruger 10/22 from my father-in-law for Christmas, bought a .22lr pistol with birthday money, went to my first gun show, started visiting THR on a regular basis, and have taken at least 3 people who have never shot before to the range to introduce them to shooting. And that doesn't even include my incessant window shopping for an SKS, AR-15 and 1911, much to my wife's *delight*.

My wife, having grown up in a hunting family, half-jokes that since I never had that "gun phase" growing up, I'm having to cram it all in now.

kengrubb
August 16, 2006, 01:20 AM
Growing up, my exposure to firearms was quite limited. My Grandfather had a few guns, and my Dad and I used his .30-30 rifle a few times on groundhogs.

In Boy Scouts, my Scoutmaster had an AR and several of us shot it on a few occasions. Summer Scout Camp, we shot 12 gauge trap and .22 rifles.

The '92 L.A. riots got me my first gun.

Wife (then girlfriend) and I were living in Maryland, and I was taking night classes in college. She was getting increasingly antsy being home by herself at night. The riots settled it. She wanted a gun. We ventured out to a local gunstore for her first gun. A month or so later, I bought my first one.

mljdeckard
August 16, 2006, 01:46 AM
Utah again. To give you a point of reference, in the '92 election, more people voted for Ross Perot than voted for Bill Clinton. Utah is the only place Clinton ever came in third.

I am in the process of re-joining the National Guard, and I will be drilling at the armory that bears the name of John M. Browning.

When I was 4, I went out with my dad, and he let me shoot his Ruger Mk II. I remember him telling me, "you can't put your thumb behind the bolt, it will get broken when it comes back."

I can't ever recall not being armed, with the exception of two years in Denmark on a religious endeavor. I suppose I was really unarmed most of the time I was in the army, because they treat you like children, but in my dad's car, and later in MY car, there was ALWAYS a pistol under the seat.

Redneck with a 40
August 16, 2006, 01:51 AM
I also grew up around guns. Up untill a few years ago, my dad was an avid hunter, he got a nice bull elk a couple years ago, out here in Colorado. Anyhow, my dad taught me how to shoot a single shot 22 rifle when I was 10 years old. By the time I was 12, I got my own remington nylon 66 22 rifle, what a great gun that was.:D Even back then I really enjoyed shooting, my dad taught me the safety rules right up front, they were strictly enforced. If I screwed up, no more shooting. On my 18th birthday I recieved a 12 gauge shotgun, I enjoyed that also. When I turned 21, my dad bought me my first handgun for my 21st birthday, a taurus 669 357 magnum, 4" stainless.:D Thats when I really became hooked, I really enjoyed that pistol. Since that time, I have bought 2 40 cal semi-auto's, an XD and a Taurus mil-pro, plus a ruger 22/45, I upgraded my 357 to the Taurus tracker in stainless, and my most recent purchase is an SKS. Going to the range on weekends and popping paper is a lot of fun, its good stress relief, its an adrenaline rush, and its just good harmless fun.:D If only all the anti gunners could understand this concept!:banghead:

cosine
August 16, 2006, 01:56 AM
For me the question is: What got you interested in guns and got you to plan to one asap?

Answer: This site. Thanks, Oleg!

Erinyes
August 16, 2006, 05:49 AM
You know, I'm not too sure how or why I got into firearms myself. I come from an Army family, but my parents weren't really "into" guns (my Dad did own a 1911 and my Mom had a .410 singleshot). I'd had BB guns, but the first time I ever shot a real gun I was twelve. My grandfather took me out with him to a friends farm so he could sight in a rifle. He also took his 12ga Remington 870. He set me up with the shotgun and let me fire a few rounds of birdshot through it. I thought it was incredible fun. The next week he and my father took my brother and I skeet shooting. We also had a little fun on the pistol range.

It was another seven years before I even picked up another gun. Sure, I knew where my Dad's were, but I never messed with 'em. One day I was chatting with my Dad and I asked him if I could take an old rifle that his father-in-law gave him out to the range. He said yes, so I went and bought forty rounds of ammo, went out to a DNR range a friend had told me about, and shot a gun for the first time seven years (and my first real rifle, to boot). After that, I went out every other week. Another friend of mine started coming with me, along with some rifles his father loaned him to take with us.

I bought my first gun, an M14 built on a Norinco receiver with Springfield parts, in 2003. Since then I've bought and sold a few more, and spend more money than I probably should on ammunition. I just can't get enough of target shooting. Every opportunity I get I'm out at the range.

VeT|Us
August 16, 2006, 05:56 AM
My best friend's father, a UN-lebanon vet, took me and my best friend shooting when I was 12, teaching us with .22's.
Hooked ever since!

Vairochana
August 16, 2006, 06:11 AM
My whole family is either anti gun or just not interested.
I have always been interested in History and Martial Arts and have a house full of swords- I have even seen off BGs with a sword on occasion.
I originally got interested in shooting as I began to work more inside jobs around computers and wanted something to focus on that was out of arms reach.
Now I live in a somewhat dodgy neighbourhood and appreciate having 12ga insurance just in case.
I have not yet been hunting but intend to first chance I get- just haven't met the right people yet.
I have a small collection, pride of place is my 1941 Lithgow SMLE

10 Ring Tao
August 16, 2006, 06:40 AM
Many positive experiences shooting various pieces, early in life.

First was a little bb pistol you had to cock for each shot. My dad draped a bed sheet from the ceiling to a bench, so the bb's would be stopped and then roll down and collect at the bottom. I peppered many a paper target with that setup.

Then later on at about age 12, I did rifle merit badge at scout camp, and ended up getting the marksmanship award for the entire camp. I shot the best score out of any boy there.

With such success early on, I loved shooting because it seemed I had a knack for it.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to shoot anything outside of scouts (.22 and 20ga only a couple more times) until 9th grade. My karate instructor took a bunch of us to the range, and it was my first opportunity to shoot handguns. I still remember what a joy it was to shoot that P7.

No more shooting through the end of highschool.

My first year at college, I took an ROTC class as an easy elective. At a FTX, I got to shoot a full auto M16. Then got to use an M16 in a simulated ambush using blanks. What fun.

Also that year at school, I got addicted to the game Counter Strike. I read up on and learned all about my favorite guns in that game. Yes, believe it or not, one the driving forces was a computer game. I've wanted, and looked into getting, an FN FiveseveN since before they were civvie legal because of that game.

A few years later, at 22, I finally had the money and accumulated knowledge to buy my first handgun, a glock 19. With inheriting my grandfather's collection later that year, and continuing to expand the kinds of shooting I love (handguns! sporting clays! evil rifles! oh my!), my collection steadily grew to what it is today.

10 Ring Tao
August 16, 2006, 06:43 AM
Double taps happen to the best of us.

shooting time
August 16, 2006, 08:17 AM
My dad and grandfather hunted and used to take me with them when I was little .So I continued to do that and buy guns in the process.

fchavis
August 16, 2006, 08:40 AM
Never had any guns in the house growing up, though my parents were not particularly anti (I had plenty of cap guns and such) and being a boyscout I fired a 22LR on a couple of occasions. The father of one of my elementary school friends had this great collection of firearms, class IIIs and all, and I remember being very impressed. I never really had any stigma to get over, and was always of a mind that self defense was a personal responsibility. When I started approaching 21 I began looking into gun ownership more seriously and found out that most of the politicians I had no respect for were going about trying to snatch up every gun they could get their hands on, and that really made me look hard at the issue. I lurked about on the forums, bought my first handgun, my ccw, and have been enjoying my trips to the range immensely. Money is tight, being a student, so my collection is growing slowly, but I've added a 12 gauge, and now I really want a battle rifle of some sort, not sure which direction to go yet. I also really want to give hunting a try, as I've never gone and figure it is an important skill set, so maybe I'll get a decent bolt action first. What a bitter-sweet dilemma I find myself in!

-Jon

Striker
August 16, 2006, 09:10 AM
Passing my days as a kid from about the age of 7 or so onward, the following (in no particular order) where great influences on my eventual ownership of guns.

Saturday morning Roy and Gene movies, Guns & Ammo and Field & Stream magazines, Mattel "Shooting Shell" toy guns (remember those?), Gun Digest annuals, various ruminations by Corey Ford, Gene Hill, Elmer Keith and others, Jim Kjelgaard (spl ?) books (best known for the Big Red story/Disney movie), Louis Lamour & Ian Fleming.

Technology has spawned the forums, and while they are a great part of what influences me today, I still find myself going back to basics listed above.

I gotta go now and get my Mattel Shooting Shell Colt and put a few rounds into the basement trap.:o

Jkwas
August 16, 2006, 09:19 AM
One Word

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Katrina

Two more words: Frances and Jean

crew590
August 16, 2006, 09:48 AM
Honestly I'm not sure what peaked my intrest in firearms. When I was young (think around 5) I found the copy of Encyclipeda Britanica* that my grandparents owned. Nothing unusual about this right? Well, I would always turn to the entry for firearms. I'm not sure why because non of my family was into shooting as far as I can remember. I guess it's just one of those natural curiousaties.* I recently found out that when my grandparents moved 2 years ago they found a small yellowed slip of paper marking that same page. :D Ever since then I've been kinda hooked on shooting. :)

Jay

* Sorry for my spelling. Hopefully you got what I mean

ORAG
August 16, 2006, 11:34 AM
I lived in a family that always had guns in the house and hunting was a typical fall sport. I plinked with a BB Gun, shot a .410 and dreamed of being a gun owner. About the time I turned 13, Grandma decided that her hunting days were over and she needed to give her gun to someone that would take care of it. One day she said to me, "Hon, there is an old egg sucking dog out there in the yard that someone dropped off. He has killed another of my chickens and I want him gone. If you will take this old shotgun and shoot that dog it is yours." In the finest fashion, I dropped him like a bad habbit. I did dig a hole and bury him and sniffed back a tear. Yes, I cried becuase it was two hours to a store and I was out of shells.

bruss01
August 16, 2006, 01:37 PM
Watched a film (2003) that brought me to the awareness that in the event of a major disaster in our area, the general population was likely to come unglued and we'd either have to protect ourselves and our things where we were at, or fight our way out to more civilized turf. Only after I obtained a couple of basic firearms did I realize just how compromised our 2nd amendment rights have become. From there on it became a politically motivated hobby. Along the way, I came to appreciate firearms as "little machines" which are ingeniously engineered and whose workings fascinate me. Also, I learned to appreciate the beauty and craftsmanship that goes into producing an attractively made gun. I have way more guns now than I could ever truly "need" but nowhere near as many as I "want". :)

BGlaze250
August 16, 2006, 04:43 PM
www.a-human-right.com

How how to that. That was the site that got me into the RKBA. It lead to more books and websites on the matter, which, in turn, lead to guns. :)

gbell
August 16, 2006, 04:59 PM
i grew up with a father who was a LEO and avid hunter, so there has always been guns in the house. I grew up going hunting with him ever since i can remember, and probably started shooting at around age 6. I started buying for that and could not stop buying. Started getting into mil-surp and other guns when i turned 18.

bdutton
August 16, 2006, 05:26 PM
I always had a rifle (.22 ruger 10/22) since I was 15. But never really used ti much after I went to college. My father gave me one of his pistols (Sig P229) when I got my house.

When my Dad passed away I got all his guns. So I got my license (MA) and found out that getting a license was not an easy process. I got active in my local gun range and joined the pistol team. I got active in the polical process too. Purchased a couple of target pistols and got hooked.

ronto
August 16, 2006, 05:40 PM
The criminals had them, so I figured I'd better get one... even out the playing field so as to speak.

Lonestar
August 16, 2006, 05:59 PM
I blame the 80's Rambo and Arnold movies:D

Labinnac
August 16, 2006, 06:03 PM
I blame Owen mostly.

Shane333
August 16, 2006, 06:11 PM
What got me into guns?

In large part, Boy Scouts. I remembered earning my "Rifle and Shotgun" merit badge, and how fun and interesting the experience was. Then there were "Mountain Man" camps where we got to shoot black powder rifles and such.

After I got married I thought back on those experiences and decided to look into it. The rest is history.:D

RangerHAAF
August 16, 2006, 06:33 PM
"I blame Sarah Brady.

Thanks Sarah!"

I had been hunting on and off since my grandmother bought me my first BB gun at about age 5 or 6. My uncle, who was and still is the big hunter in my family; never would take me hunting with him, so my overwhelming desire to hunt and shoot guns was repressed until I could afford to buy my own.

I think that if he had taken me hunting when I was growing up, I would probably be as apathetic as most people who grew up around guns and hunting and took the experience for granted. I would not object to hunting and guns but probably I wouldn't care one way or the other.

The occurrence that changed me and a lot of people who believe as I do happened in 1994 and was propagated by Sarah Brady and her anti-gun allies in Congress. That law showed me how close we(gun owners) could come to having our guns confiscated by the government and that our elected representatives had lost touch with the people who elected them and needed to be seriously reminded that we respect and revere all parts of the Constitution, not just the parts that liberals are afraid of.

xds&gsps
August 16, 2006, 07:09 PM
I had a friend get me interested in getting my ccw then of course guns are neccesary, I bought my first handgun (Ruger P98), at the age of 21 bought a shotgun the next year (got rid of my ruger in the process I was young & dumb) I now own an XD 9, & a Benelli Nova 12ga (the same friend got me interested in hunting he is a good friend). My Dad grew up around guns & hunting, but when we moved to Utah (I was 3) he never hunted again & we never went to the range either. (my mom had something to do with that I think) I have since got him out to the range quite a bit & he shot his first semi-auto handgun last summer. I haven't convinced him to buy one yet, but that will come with time. He is a revolver guy (nothing wrong with that he gets it from his dad). I prefer the semis though.

gulogulo1970
August 16, 2006, 07:32 PM
My Mom and my sister went to a sale at the local library (they were getting rid of books they didn't want) and they bought me a copy of Mel Tappen's Survival Guns . Funny, they bought it as a joke. I was 14 or so and really took the book to heart and then read every thing I could on firearms.

The day I turned 18 I bought my first gun a shotgun and the day I turned 21 my first handgun. I just like them, I guess the way my Dad liked cars.

TallPine
August 16, 2006, 08:00 PM
Saturday morning Roy and Gene movies, Guns & Ammo and Field & Stream magazines, Mattel "Shooting Shell" toy guns (remember those?), Gun Digest annuals, various ruminations by Corey Ford, Gene Hill, Elmer Keith and others, Jim Kjelgaard (spl ?) books (best known for the Big Red story/Disney movie), Louis Lamour & Ian Fleming.

another reminder that the modern world ain't worth a dang :(

where's the bus to go back to 1960 ......????

Rumble
August 16, 2006, 08:05 PM
My wife got me into them--after telling me that she was a gun owner and CCW Lady, decided that it would be cool to take me out shooting. Shot a Beretta 92 (fs? f? whatever), ruthlessly obliterating a sinister bullseye (it was going for a gun, I swear), and I was instantly hooked.

Since then, it's been gun after gun after gun. I sometimes have enough money for food. :)

10-Ring
August 16, 2006, 08:33 PM
I had ALWAYS wanted to own a handgun growing up...never even fired one until I was 19. By the time I was 21, I had the $$ and couldn't get a handgun fast enough!

Geno
August 16, 2006, 08:57 PM
All of my uncles and aunts hunted, and I watched hundreds of hours of safari (and other hunting-related shows) on TV.

My parents both ask me this question repeatedly, because they both hate guns.

Thank God for uncles, aunts and old-time television.

Doc2005

avmech
August 16, 2006, 09:06 PM
My dad had guns during the Cuban reolution and used them so the rebels wouldn't mess with us. On my mom's side, my grandfather was an armourer in the Swiss army. So, being exposed to them all my life, I am an avid gun nut.

Stevie-Ray
August 16, 2006, 09:25 PM
My father owned a Colt pocket .32 Auto, and that gun always fascinated me. Yes, he showed me how it worked, but it was never fired until I took it shooting with one of my own guns much later in life. Strange, but now that gun is mine and it holds no fascination at all what with all the other guns I now have. But I still credit the old Colt with piqueing my interest early. Then my brother-in-law honed that interest with all his guns and our trips to the rural areas, up until my 12th birthday when I got my own .22 rifle. Fun to be sure, but handguns will always be my favorite. Naturally my first handgun was a similar model to my brother-in-law's Ruger .22. Still love that gun to this day.

razorburn
August 16, 2006, 09:28 PM
Fishing. Never had guns in my family, but we were avid fishermen. Which in my early teens, lead into me getting a subscription to several magazines and media which usually combine fishing and hunting. I started reading the hunting articles and decided I wanted to try it. I started looking into the equipment to get started in it, 1 thing lead to another and I started getting an independent interest in guns. Now many years later, my first gun was a handgun and I still have never hunted...:o although I still want to try it.

Arcticfox
August 16, 2006, 11:20 PM
I was totally opposed to hang guns (but not rifles) until about 4 years ago when a friend let me fire his .44! Hitting milk cartons with a 44 is quite a thrill! Beats target shooting with a .22 hands down.

I just HAD to get me one of those!!!! :D

Srigs
August 17, 2006, 01:42 AM
Some trap shooting fun in South Dakota at my in-laws place. It was all down hill from there... :banghead:

gitarmac
August 17, 2006, 02:02 AM
I had a couple of guns and always told myself I was going to get myself some better ones, I had a .22 and a shotgun. I like shooting my airgun and can actually shoot one in my yard and was going to get me a beeman when I got back from a vacation. During that vacation the MMM went on and when I came back it was the start of a long gun buying spree.

Margo

IfYouOnlyKnew
August 17, 2006, 12:52 PM
Hurricane Katrina. We were off the grid for two weeks and were first told it could have been six weeks. One hundred miles north of New Orleans in a very rural area. My wife's never used 20ga and the .22 semiauto rifle I got for my son to teach him basic gun safety years ago seemed woefully inadequate. We never saw a SO, National Guard, or State Trooper patrol on my road. The nights were long, pitch black, and very hot. The generator sounded like a looter magnet in the stillness. When gas stations came back many had plainclothes security with open carry sidearms. Law enforcement is pretty sparse in the best of times. Even 911 doesn't respond to prayer when the phone lines and cell phones are out for weeks. We were prepared with fuel, water, and basics but it was scary. Still is. So, I continue to learn about upgrading the home defense collection. This site has been a big help.

rev214
August 17, 2006, 01:12 PM
my grandfather...
and a few trips to cabelas...

armedpolak
August 17, 2006, 01:13 PM
Comunism:fire:

My family has been disarmed once before. Great aunt got an ethanol shot in the heart in Auschwitz. Then 45 years of comunism. I don't have a gun, yet. I'm in NYC. Next week interviewing in FL. I shot a handgun for the first time in my life 3 months ago. Never again will I be disarmed by any government. Never.

tecdv
August 17, 2006, 03:57 PM
Never had guns around the house much when I was growing up, so it must have been the Military. I haven't been without a gun close by since Basic Training, and that was 20 years ago.

kansas45
August 17, 2006, 11:39 PM
My Grandmother! (it's a long story)!:)

Kowboy
August 18, 2006, 12:49 PM
My next door neighbor slapped me with a Personal Protection Order. The order prohibited me from possessing guns. The order was immediately lifted when I made my case before the judge because it had no merit, but it made me realize that I would never get a Michigan Concealed Pistol License if this idiot pulled this stunt again.

I got my Michigan CPL over a year ago and have been enjoying a local pistol league ever since.

Kowboy

Stiletto Null
August 18, 2006, 12:50 PM
I like loud noises and shiny objects.

yongxingfreesty
August 18, 2006, 01:33 PM
had them around me since i was 10 and always knew i would own some around the house. better to have one in case something happens.

Taurus 617 CCW
August 18, 2006, 01:52 PM
Ex-Girlfriend broke up with me in the middle of my college career. When I heard she got married six months later I bought my 8mm Turkish Mauser on her wedding day. That was my first rifle and has remained in my collection since as a little "breakup momento."
:evil:

MustangAmy
August 18, 2006, 08:24 PM
I was never interested in guns, but I married a Marine. After 15+ years of marriage he finally convinced me to buy a gun. A few months ago I got the S&W 637 .38. I hope to add some pink, pearl grips to make it prettier. ;) I'm also in the process of getting my concealed carry permit. I think I've caught the "bug". :eek:

BTW...this is my first post to the forum. I hope I did it right!

qlajlu
August 18, 2006, 08:38 PM
...this is my first post to the forum. I hope I did it right!
Holy cow, my gosh, and by heck, another Utahn. Welcome MustangAmy. Ya done good. Newbies buy the ammo. I'll take a case of .45 JHPs.

Don't forget to read the thread, "Welcome back, Mr. Nightcrawler." You will see why. You've got a lot of reading to do.

Bruce333
August 18, 2006, 08:52 PM
I'd fired a few guns here and there over the years but never considered owning one (living in Hawaii, with the restrictive laws, didn't help any). Moved to NC and again didn't really think about it. What finally got me was my Sister and BIL. They are both NRA instructors in CO, BIL hangs out/works at a gun store, both involved in gun rights there. First time I visited them after they became instructors they stuck me in class, been hooked ever since.

Seven High
August 18, 2006, 09:40 PM
I got interested in firearms and shooting in high school. We actually had a rifle club which counted as an elective for graduation. This was during the early sixties. Shooting in the rifle club helped me a lot when I went into the armed forces.

goon
August 18, 2006, 09:47 PM
I have never not been into them.
I shot my first rounds when I was 4 years old and it was all downhill from there.

Dave Workman
August 18, 2006, 10:07 PM
Simple really. I was BORN HERE.

My family has been here since the 1600s. Guns were in the family before I was. :)

Glock_10mm
August 18, 2006, 10:51 PM
Been shooting since I was 5! My dad had me shooting .45acp handguns by age 8. Its always been a part of my life.

I grew up in Texas, nuff said.

Ditchtiger
August 18, 2006, 11:33 PM
It's more fun to knock a can over from one hundred yards away with a gun than a rock

gezzer
August 20, 2006, 01:05 AM
Born to country folk that had displaced to city during the depression it is in my blood. When I was in 4th grade I started reading Sports Afield at the food stone when my folks shopped. Staying with country relatives added to this.

As a teen all my fun came from hunting and the outdoors. Guns became my passion and in the early eighties I returned to living in a rural area and have NEVER looked back.

Nitrogen
August 20, 2006, 01:26 AM
I grew up in a very ANTI-gun family, but over time, I was converted. The first time I ever shot a handgun I was hooked, and I knew it.

However, I didn't seriously get "into" them until I met My Fianceť.
No, she's not a big shooter, but before I met her, I didn't really think about my safety. When she moved in with me, I made a promise to her father. He told me, "you better take care of my girl" and I promised him I would.

Slowly, it dawned on me just how little the police can help in immidate situations. We had various things happen in our first year together that made me realise that if I was going to keep my promise to her father, I had to do more than I was doing.

tellner
August 20, 2006, 08:57 PM
Racist skinheads in my old neighborhood. They carried knives and had no hesitation at all about beating the hell out of people they didn't like. That would certainly have included my Jewish ass, so I decided to take precautions. Only had to show once, never shoot thank G-d.

DrDeFab
August 20, 2006, 11:39 PM
The BATFE, actually.

As a hobby, I used to happily fly model rockets and amateur high power rockets. The BATFE decided that we were dangerous lunatics out of control, and listed APCP (Ammonium Perchlorate Composite Propellant) as a "low explosive" (which is bogus, it doesn't detonate, it deflagrates) and forced anyone using a motor with more than two ounces of APCP to get a low explosives users permit, complete with background check, annual home inspections, etc. It was too much money (as a percentage of my hobby budget) and too much hassle for me. :fire:

So instead, I decided to collect semi-auto EBRs. :neener: Can you say "Unintended Consequences"?

IZinterrogator
August 21, 2006, 12:18 AM
Too much G.I. Joe as a child. ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "What got you into owning guns??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!