Rochester MN: Peacenik Hates Military

PDA

Bunkster
August 15, 2006, 01:56 PM
By Edie Grossfield

The Post-Bulletin

Recruiters have the right to tout the virtues of military service, but anti-war groups also have the right to promote the benefits of steering clear, say members of the Southeast Minnesota Alliance of Peacemakers.

On Thursday, the group sent 1,250 students of Rochester public high schools information on how to keep their names from recruiters. The mailing also included a pamphlet encouraging young people to scrutinize the promises recruiters make.

Military recruiters visit high schools and stock career centers with their literature.

"But there wasn't any alternative information, not only about military enlistment but about conscientious objection and peace careers," said Chuck Handlon, a member of the alliance and a science teacher at Century High School.

That information is now in the career centers, he said.

The alliance's mailing included the district's official form 515A2, which parents or guardians can fill out to keep their children's names, addresses and phone numbers off the district's list for military recruiters.

All public school districts are required by law to release the information to the military; Rochester public schools plan to do so on Oct. 1.

Kim Bryan, president of the John Marshall High School Parent Teacher Student Association and mother of a JM senior, thinks the alliance's mailing was a good idea. "Because I guess I don't appreciate that (military recruiters) are able to get the kids' information so easily from the high school," Bryan said.

Danika Zabertini, a junior at Century High School, said she's glad the peacemakers group is raising awareness about military enlistment.

"I think it's important for people to know about that because, regardless of their opinion on the issue, it's important to have all of the information on something," Zabertini said.

Army recruiter Sgt. Corey Coubal doesn't expect his work to be hindered much because few people opt out. He said his office doesn't use the student contact information much.

"We contact kids either by meeting them face to face at the schools through set-ups or talks to the classes," he said, although his office also mails information and makes phone calls to students.

You can email Handlon here! (Chhandlon@Rochester.K12.MN)

If you enjoyed reading about "Rochester MN: Peacenik Hates Military" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Phetro
August 15, 2006, 02:06 PM
You could DIE or KILL someone! :what: :eek:

I guess they forgot that everyone dies anyway...

The Leftist Man is hilarious. He wastes all his precious time on Earth trying to squeeze a little more time out of life on Earth...time he wouldn't need if he were doing what he ought to be doing, which is living, instead of endlessly trying to prolong the inevitable end.

The human mortality rate, for all the fervent effort of would-be nannies, is still 100%. It is better to spend life living, than to waste it worrying about extending life.

progunner1957
August 15, 2006, 02:10 PM
Leftist Man Now there's an oxymoron...:evil:

Phetro
August 15, 2006, 02:14 PM
:D :D :D

Sorry! I just noticed that myself...but I'll leave it in for humor's sake.

ORAG
August 15, 2006, 02:48 PM
I love my country but I fear my Government! We are clearly the best of the countries but I am afraid that we are becomming the cream of the crap. It must be one man's right to shout against the military as it was my right to join and serve for over 30 years. When I asked my son if he was going to join the Military, he said "No dad, this family has already given its share to them." How do we stand for freedom and condem the people that want to be free to say no to the military? Either it is free speech or it ain't.

wingnutx
August 15, 2006, 03:45 PM
I'd rather have someone hate me openly than cry crocodile tears while they stab me in the back.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rochester MN: Peacenik Hates Military" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!