NPR audio bit on Scottish Knife Legislation

PDA

hillbilly
August 15, 2006, 07:37 PM
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5646379

If you enjoyed reading about "NPR audio bit on Scottish Knife Legislation" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PistolPackin'Papa
August 15, 2006, 11:16 PM
They just do not get it, do they? You can not stop crime by taking away weapons. What next? Bicks? Garden hoses? I know, Chinese noodles! lol
Being of Scottish decent, I am ashamed of them. I am afraid the pipes are heard nae more in that land. By the time they wake up, they will be speaking Farcie. :( :mad: :cuss:
Locknane

FTF
August 15, 2006, 11:37 PM
What a bunch of turds. :barf:

It's funny... here where I live, there is a nearby city that only allows knife blades up to 2". You know what people carry around? GOLF CLUBS!!! They are still legal. Lol, I kid you not. Honestly, I probably fear a golf club more over a knife in the hands of a crazed crackhead. You see people walking around with golf clubs... of course, it's doubtful you're going to play golf with a 40oz in one hand and a 5 iron in the other, but oh well.

The point is that crooks will still find ways to kill you with whatever items they can. Might as well even the playing field I say. Everyone has guns, knives or a rock... as long as there is not disparity with availability, I'm all for it.

Deaf Smith
August 15, 2006, 11:47 PM
In an effort to reduce the stabbings and slashings that stem from the country's "booze and blade" culture, Scotland is cracking down on the sale of swords, machetes, meat cleavers and other knifes. Knife violence accounts for almost half of the homicides in Scotland each year.

Lets see....

Since handguns are outlawed over there there are fewer killings with handguns. The people prone to kill simply pick the next best thing (rifles, simi-autos in preference of course.)

So they ban rifles. The people prone to kill simply pick the next best thing (this time shotguns.)

Yep, they ban shotguns. So the people prone to kill simply pick the next best thing (again! Knives of course.)

So now the idiots ban knives. Those that won't get smuggled in handguns, rifles, shotguns, will get homemade or smuggled in knives. Any fool can see were this is going, right?

Next you will see the ban of martial arts as over 50 percent of the murders will be stompings and beatings (just wait, I bet it happens.)

Yes the TYPE of crime changes. Handguns to rifles to shotguns to knives. But the number of people killed and injured will basicly be the same. Only the type of weapon will change. And at the same time those who are to old or weak or handicapped to fight off larger attackers are now at their mercy.

Fools, just stupid misguided fools who have never read a history book in their life.

mbt2001
August 16, 2006, 02:27 AM
Hey Deaf, you forgot PIG HEADED...

Frankly, I think that this is a gross violation of the spirit of representative government. "They" decide the laws... Jeez.

Well, it will happen here. Apparently Western Society has decided to quitely retire to an old folks home where we will expire... The world will go on in the dark I guess.

sterling180
August 16, 2006, 10:52 AM
Being of Scottish decent, I am ashamed of them. I am afraid the pipes are heard nae more in that land. By the time they wake up, they will be speaking Farcie.

Well fortunately for you,you don't have to suffer the handgun ban-that was created on the request by alot of Scottish citizens following Dunblane and by Mr Blair's Scottish Labour Party.For a country,whose citizens were rough and tough-they sold out their rights to firearms,which affected England and Wales-as well.

Its sad that they continue to draft up ridiculous legislation on airguns and on knives,because it was bad enough that handguns were banned-but to ban knives-when it is part of their heritage-is totally unsound,indeed.

So they ban rifles. The people prone to kill simply pick the next best thing (this time shotguns.)

Yep, they ban shotguns. So the people prone to kill simply pick the next best thing (again! Knives of course.)

Yes,your predictions certainly ring true to those of us,that know what the UK GCNs policies are.

By the way,what rifles and shotguns are you talking about,when you said:so they ban...?

Fosbery
August 16, 2006, 10:56 AM
Deaf Smith:

Actually that's completely un-true. When they banned pistols, suprise suprise, criminals continued to use pistols. I don't know how they possibly could have forseen that criminals would be prepared to break the law. Lucky for us they have our best interests at heart and don't make these laws just to grab 'tough on crime' headlines :banghead:

sterling180
August 16, 2006, 11:37 AM
Actually that's completely un-true. When they banned pistols, suprise suprise, criminals continued to use pistols. I don't know how they possibly could have forseen that criminals would be prepared to break the law. Lucky for us they have our best interests at heart and don't make these laws just to grab 'tough on crime' headlines

It wasn't about stopping criminals,(You probably know this very well.)as I have said before,the GCN put pressure on Major,in 1996,to ban handguns and on Blair in May 1997,to ban rimfire handguns.

The Home Office,gave a statement to the BASC and BSSC,on reasons for the ban-when the BASC,were campaigning to restore pistols-four years ago.This didn't include conventional criminals,but nutters and weirdos-who could pose a serious threat to society-if armed with pistols.Hence,the undetectables.

The only types of criminals or soon-to-be criminals,that the ban,was created to stop-was mass murderers,like Thomas Hamilton and Micheal Ryan.

These types,have no criminal record and can fool police into giving them a license,by false pretences.

mountainclmbr
August 17, 2006, 01:01 AM
When will sharp sticks be banned to protect the children? Then the trees the "weapons" come from?

xd9fan
August 17, 2006, 12:48 PM
seens some folks just like to be ruled......sad

dragongoddess
August 17, 2006, 01:27 PM
",but nutters and weirdos-who could pose a serious threat to society-if armed with pistols."

Well if the law abiding citizens are carrying weapons than this problem with the crazies would soon come to an end.

fourays2
August 17, 2006, 02:49 PM
It wasn't about stopping criminals,(You probably know this very well.)as I have said before,the GCN put pressure on Major,in 1996,to ban handguns and on Blair in May 1997,to ban rimfire handguns.

The Home Office,gave a statement to the BASC and BSSC,on reasons for the ban-when the BASC,were campaigning to restore pistols-four years ago.This didn't include conventional criminals,but nutters and weirdos-who could pose a serious threat to society-if armed with pistols.Hence,the undetectables.

The only types of criminals or soon-to-be criminals,that the ban,was created to stop-was mass murderers,like Thomas Hamilton and Micheal Ryan.

These types,have no criminal record and can fool police into giving them a license,by false pretences.

IIRC the plods had been warned about ryan and hamilton by members of their shooting clubs. they just chose to do nothing about it.

If you enjoyed reading about "NPR audio bit on Scottish Knife Legislation" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!