NEVER say it out loud.

PDA

Hardtarget
August 16, 2006, 12:01 AM
About three weeks ago I told my wife of my plans to buy an M1 Garand. I've wanted on for years so the time seemed right.
Those words triggered my own personal "****** hit the fan" events.
1...Car broke down :mad:
2...Home A/C broke down...( temp was 96 that day!) :fire:
3...kitchen faucet broke :uhoh:
4...Had to have the chimney cleaned:cuss:
5...NOW the washing machine is broken! :banghead:
I will keep my mouth SHUT from now on!
I hope this doesn't happen to you. :D
Mark.

If you enjoyed reading about "NEVER say it out loud." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Cacique500
August 16, 2006, 12:06 AM
A serious milsurp collector would find a way...

1) Ride a bike / walk
2) Winter is coming
3) Use the bathroom sink
4) Don't light any fires
5) Stream/River and a washboard

:)

C-grunt
August 16, 2006, 12:32 AM
Well.....if you say that you plan on getting a new car. Some strange happenings will make you need a new rifle;)

mljdeckard
August 16, 2006, 12:37 AM
Mrs. Deckard is telling me, if it were ME, she would make sure those things happened.

Abby
August 16, 2006, 12:38 AM
I roll coins. And I do it VERY QUIETLY so none of the vehicle or appliances can hear me giggle as I get near my target amount... :D

Now if I could just keep my HUSBAND from coming up with conflicting "fun money" priorities...

ChestyP
August 16, 2006, 12:58 AM
but have your spouse do #s 3, 4, 5.

Lupinus
August 16, 2006, 01:31 AM
if it was 96 degrees the cleaning coulda waited :neener:

tanksoldier
August 16, 2006, 02:10 AM
If my wife WANTED a new gun, she wouldn' have to roll coins to fund it... and I'd certainly not come up with other ideas for the money, except maybe a new gun for ME... heck, I'd drive her to the gun store.

I WISH my wife wanted a gun, any gun. :(

I shouldn't complain tho, she's at least gotten used to my CCW.

I roll coins. And I do it VERY QUIETLY so none of the vehicle or appliances can hear me giggle as I get near my target amount...

Now if I could just keep my HUSBAND from coming up with conflicting "fun money" priorities...

entropy
August 16, 2006, 09:12 AM
Heck, I can't even think it.....about the time I got up the $$ for a Mosin 91/59, I drove my wife's truck and noticed her L front tire was on the steel...:what: Guess I should have never driven it, then she'd've had a blowout and had to pay for it....:neener: JK. I wouldn't endanger her life like that.:o

10-Ring
August 16, 2006, 09:15 AM
Yikes! Sounds like some seriously bad gun karma :eek: :eek: Hopefully the gun gods will smile on you soon so you can pick up that Garand!
Good luck!

Lonestar
August 16, 2006, 10:05 AM
Its not just you, I had it happen to me twice. Everytime I consider buying a 1911 with my Gun Stash, something happens. One time my wife got 2 flat tire on the same day and our heater died. The other time I was going to the gunstore to buy a Springfield 1911, but first I decided to cut the lawn, and my the engine in my 15 year old lawn tractor finally died. Should I buy a cheap push mower to cut an acre of lawn and buy the 1911, or do I get a new lawn tractor.:scrutiny: If I wasn't old and fat, I would be hate cutting the grass but loving my 1911.

I gave up on my 1911 dream:(

Mumbles_45
August 16, 2006, 10:39 AM
Yeah, I was going to buy a Kimber a few months ago, and then my transmission self destructed.

Third_Rail
August 16, 2006, 10:45 AM
You'd think we would all learn to not say anything like "what could possibly go wrong?" :banghead:

Ah well. :)

one-shot-one
August 16, 2006, 12:40 PM
my "nessacary" stuff waits untill i've spent the money on a new "toy" and then breaks!:mad:

Erebus
August 16, 2006, 12:50 PM
I found a stripped caliper slide pin in the driveway the week I was going to buy a bigger safe and an AR-15. Caliper was stripped too, had to be replaced. No idea how it happened. When I pulled the wheels off the insides of the tires were all scalloped and had to be replaced and an alignment done. I think I was too excited about the new stuff and gave it away.

Chipperman
August 16, 2006, 01:01 PM
Buy the gun. It will take care of all those things for you.

1. Use it to flag someone down for a ride. :eek:
2. Tape the box from CMP to the butt stock and use it as a large fan.
3. Put a couple of holes in the town water tower for all the water you need.
4. A couple of en bloc clips worth fired up the chimney will blow the creosote right out.
5. Use the butt stock to stir the clothes.

I don't see your problem. :D

abearir
August 16, 2006, 02:22 PM
Do what I did.........donate plasma at the local Bio-Life center!!:eek:
Now THATS real Blood Money!!

Abby
August 16, 2006, 03:35 PM
Tank, my husband would have agreed with you...15 or 16 firearms ago... :evil:

Now he thinks we should sometimes buy other things, like new tires. I find it useful if I explain I've hoarded X amount dollars, and will only be hitting up the household budget for a couple hundred bucks. :D

HCfan
August 16, 2006, 06:42 PM
I too am the opposite. When everything is paid off, things are going right, everything is in working order, I go and get that new toy that I've had my eye on.

Then, everything goes wrong, nothing is in working order, and I have no money to fix it all.

But, here is my take:

1...Car broke down = Just get another one, use that one for trade in, just make montly payments.

2...Home A/C broke down...( temp was 96 that day!) = Big fans or get a sears card and make montly payments on a new HVAC system.

3...kitchen faucet broke = Use bathroom sink. Or get a Home Depot card, buy a new sink (or what broke on the sink) and make montly payments.

4...Had to have the chimney cleaned = Why? It's summer and 96 degrees there. Could have waited. Or, could have gone to a local chimney sweep that would let you make montly payments.

5...NOW the washing machine is broken! = See either #2, sears card, or number 3, home depot card.

:neener:

edit: Forgot to mention, I'm single and own the place that I live in and have WAY too many monthly payments :D

Hardtarget
August 16, 2006, 07:11 PM
I enjoyed all the responses! I could just ...FEEL the love. :D
I...we...will live through this and the rifle will eventually find a home here with me. Must say...there was some very creative thinking going on.
Mark.

MrTwigg
August 16, 2006, 08:33 PM
I might have a discussion if I wanted to buy something expensive but for ordinary millsurps I just go ahead and buy'em.

I've learned to buy another gun that looks like one she already knows about too. Sneaky, but it works. ;) :D

MishMash
August 16, 2006, 09:41 PM
What about the other strategy using a different "A" word?
Rather than "ask" I use the "Announce" strategy.
Sort of like asking for forgiveness as opposed to permission.

Regards

the pistolero
August 16, 2006, 10:12 PM
I've learned to buy another gun that looks like one she already knows about too. Sneaky, but it works.

LOL! That reminds me, of something I saw here (http://www.imao.us/archives/000935.html) in reference to the Glocks:
They all look the same, which is great if you have a wife who doesn't like you owning lots of guns, because then you can get guns in a bunch of different calibers and make it look like you only have one gun (not that I know anyone who fits this description ). If you get a compact model, just tell your wife that the larger gun had a baby.

:D :D

rev214
August 17, 2006, 08:55 AM
you need to attend several craft and antique shows with your wife...
and tell her "how much you enjoy them"...
especially on sunday afternoons in the fall (commonly called Football Season)...
and then the curse will be broken...:neener:

Ben Shepherd
August 17, 2006, 09:09 AM
Know what you mean. Just got married a few months ago....
Wifes father has a dog, wife wants dog. Uh-uh no stinkin' way says I. Don't want the responsibilty or expense. Two days ago we brought home a pair of 2lb. balls of fur.

Down side:
By the time we get them through thier shots, get the kennel and all the other stuff needed to care for them, I figure I'll be out a little over a grand.

Up side: (gun related)

They are papered german short hairs, so by next fall they will be retrieving birds for me. AND wifey says I can get a new gun for Christmas!!

Hang in there....you WILL get your rifle!!!

gezzer
August 17, 2006, 10:27 PM
Loose lips sinks ships.

Always carry a hard gun case with you EVERY time you leave the house. She will never know it was empty on the way out.:evil:

Diomed
August 18, 2006, 01:23 AM
you need to attend several craft and antique shows with your wife...
and tell her "how much you enjoy them"...
especially on sunday afternoons in the fall (commonly called Football Season)...
and then the curse will be broken...

That's pretty close to the cure being worse than the disease!

ScottsGT
August 18, 2006, 08:17 AM
Light a real hot fire in the fireplace. That will clean out the chimney. :evil:
Ask me how I know this........(twice now)

danurve
August 18, 2006, 11:31 AM
Toss in thinking the Jeep is running fine,

Then within a week I'm out 600$ in repairs.
Kind of put damper on the O/U I had an eye on.

If you enjoyed reading about "NEVER say it out loud." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!