Dog v. truck

PDA

JBusch8899
August 16, 2006, 07:27 AM
Last night, my family and I witnessed a Boxer run out into a road and get hit head on by a Ford F150 at 50 mph. Needless to say, the dog was FUBAR.

Unfortunately, it was also still alive and in a considerable amount of pain. Cell phone service was unavailable for the both of us. (I am really beginning to hate Nextel).

The driver of the truck felt bad enough, but agreed that it was best for the dog be euthanized without having to hunt down a cell phone signal and then wait for the animal control/police.

I used my Glock .40 and put the animal out of its suffering. The driver of the truck and I then dragged the animal off to the side of the road.

Driving home, I got a signal and informed the police non emergency line of a dead animal at the location. I thought it best not to tell them that I euthanized the animal.

Now I only have to deal with my family who is upset with me at the moment. They'll get over it.....eventually (crossing fingers). But right now I'm the mean old man who put two in the head of a furry, cuddly animal.

I guess its a good thing that I haven't brought home any venison that last few seasons.

If you enjoyed reading about "Dog v. truck" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CTD99
August 16, 2006, 07:52 AM
Even in the situation you were in people, even your own family, do not understand what needs to be done. You assessed the situation, made a decision, and acted on it. You as the shooter, made the call.

On the other side of the ledger there are those who would say you should not expose young people to the actual shooting until they understand more of the world. I was not there I cannot second guess the terrain, cover, ect.. Could you have used a vehicle to shield your family from the shooting itself?

You did the right thing, but we can always critique our actions to see if we could have done it better. That's being human, and that is acting professional.

Since we are where we are, this would be a good time to have a family meeting to discuss it and let the kids know why you did what you did. Tell them you feel just as bad for the dog, but it was suffering. This is a life altering event for them, and they will never forget it. They will learn your values if you approach this in a calm and fatherly way. Let them vent and listen, what they say is not wrong. Just listen.

Rickstir
August 16, 2006, 11:13 AM
I can remember my dad running over a dog on a vacation trip. I was 5 at the time.

I have done this for two deer that were struck and suffering in the road. But then again I live in a very rural area six miles from town. The game warden and deputies up here would by sympathetic to the discharge of a firearm. I am not so sure in the city.

But I know you did the right thing, having been there myself.

pax
August 16, 2006, 11:26 AM
You absolutely did the right thing.

CTD99 is right that you need to really discuss this with your kids. Good post there.

You may have broken the law in your jurisdiction. It is worthwhile to learn what the laws are, so that you know what actions are within and which are outside the law. No sense getting blindsided by stupid laws you didn't know existed.

Even if it was against the law, you did the right thing.

pax

Jim March
August 16, 2006, 02:13 PM
Yeah, you did good. At 50mph that dog would have been an absolute wreck :(.

ArmedBear
August 16, 2006, 02:18 PM
Now I only have to deal with my family who is upset with me at the moment. They'll get over it.....eventually (crossing fingers). But right now I'm the mean old man who put two in the head of a furry, cuddly animal.

I love Boxers. They're just some of my favorite dogs, always ready to cause trouble with grins on their faces. The story makes me really sad.

But you did the right thing. Letting the dog slowly and painfully die, if that was the real alternative, would be the one thing worse than having to shoot it. Life doesn't always provide us with wonderful choices; we can only make the best ones we can under the circumstances.

Some people here seem to think that shooting dogs unnecessarily will compensate for their microscopic penises. You're not one of them.

Sorry you had to find yourself in this situation. It's not a pleasant one, no matter what.

torpid
August 16, 2006, 02:22 PM
Huh?... Isn't that the "cool" icon above at the top of your post?

Unfortunate about the dog, I know that's not pleasant for anyone to deal with.

CSA 357
August 16, 2006, 03:20 PM
i too hate to see any thing suffer, there was a deer hit in front of my house a while back and i had to do the same thing, there was no hope for it two broke back legs , and it would have been a nice buck this fall, there is no way i could have went to sleep that night knowing that deer was out there suffering, my daughter heard the two shots, and asked me why did you shoot him daddy? its kinna hard to tell a 5 year old , but i talked to her and tryed my best but still not sure she understood , *csa*

Legionnaire
August 16, 2006, 04:27 PM
Sorry to hear about the dog, but you did the right thing. Heard of a guy having to euthanize a deer under similar circumstances, but he didn't have a firearm with him. Held the deer's muzzle up to the exhaust pipe. Passed out and died in short order.

Don't Tread On Me
August 16, 2006, 04:47 PM
Good call. As for the negative exposure to kids, how is this any different than "old yeller"..?

If the dog was totally mangled by the impact, which seems likely at 50mph - it would be in a lot of pain, and the only decent, responsible and humane thing to do would be to end the pain quickly.

This is actually a really strong lesson to kids at a young age. I don't believe it is damaging, but rather something that will stick with them for a lifetime in a positive way. They won't grow up in fantasy land about the realities of the world and become like some of the adults that ruin this world.

We're too soft these days. Just think what a youth might have seen in their childhood during America's frontier days? Just think about how life was. No dentist, no anaestesia, epidemics and death, hunting of all kinds of animals...and so forth and so on.

ctdonath
August 16, 2006, 04:51 PM
informed the police non emergency line of a dead animal at the location. I thought it best not to tell them that I euthanized the animal.Unfortunately, that could get you a criminal record in some parts.

armedpolak
August 16, 2006, 04:56 PM
Talk to your kids about it, make sure they understand.

RioShooter
August 16, 2006, 06:26 PM
We're too soft these days. Just think what a youth might have seen in their childhood during America's frontier days? Just think about how life was. No dentist, no anaestesia, epidemics and death, hunting of all kinds of animals...and so forth and so on.

Excellent comment. We live in a very "sanitized" world. It wasn't too long ago that "what's for dinner" was walking around in the barn yard.

ChopperKen
August 16, 2006, 07:12 PM
It's too bad that the police now know who called...
All they have to do now is see that the dog was shot, check the caller id
and check thier computer to find you have a ccw....:(
You did the right thing for the dog,No animal should have to suffer when there is no hope for it.
I just hope that the phone call dosn't come back to haunt you.
Ken

10-Ring
August 16, 2006, 07:22 PM
I find nothing wrong in what you did...however, you may have broken local laws (I hope not). You may what to find out just in case something similar pops up in the future.

Geno
August 16, 2006, 07:26 PM
I say the following with respect. You made a traceable telephone call. You drew a gun. You fired. You intentionally did not advise the police. YOU LEFT A BULLET AT THE SCENE! If they go there, they may well note a bullet hole. Then, they may not. Then, you post it here, and ADMIT to the act!

I think you should have waited. I had a similar situation with a deer during deer season, and while transporting my Wea. Mark V, .257 Wea Mag. We waited until the trooper arrived. Good thing I did. When I offered for him to use my rifle, he played 20 questions with me re: the rifle, its location, if I removed it previous to his arrival, where was the ammo, etc. And I do mean seriously at least 20 questions. The trooper was P.O.d! And I had an FFL and was a Hunter Safety instructor.

Respectfully, I say do not repeat this. I hope you experience no legal consequnce. I understand wanting the end the dog's pain. I trully do. But, your freedom is worth far more than the dog's suffering. All it takes is for one LEO to disagree and you're up for a $50,000.00 bill. Was the dog's suffering worth that? No.

Doc2005

pete f
August 16, 2006, 07:51 PM
That is very odd about Michigan. I put a deer down two weeks ago while near Iron Mt. guy hit it and demolished the front of his camper. I get there and the deer is thrashing with half its side ripped open on the grill work. I load the 10/22 and walk over, put two in the ear hole. Drama is done.

I start to help the other guy to see if we could duct tape, sheet metal screw his front end back together enough for him to limp to town, County sheriff pulls up. He gets out of car and walks up to us. Asks if everyone is ok, we say except for his sheet metal and the mosquitos, every one was fine. Looks at the deer, sees the two .22 casings laying on the road and asks if we had finished the deer. I said, "Yes Sir, I did, it was dead but did not want to admit it yet." He asked if I wanted the carcase, I said no, it was too beat up and then he asked me to help him load it in his trunk, he spread a tarp and we tossed the deer in. He wrote up a report for the other guys insurance and then helped up finish making the other guys vehicle "road Worthy" then offered to follow the guy to a dealer in the town down the road. NO Drama. no accusations, just a small town sheriff who understood what was what. I had his card and called his boss on the monday after and gave him an attaboy.

Geno
August 16, 2006, 09:18 PM
State Trooper Lower MI versus small town UP cop. :) May also have simply been that this one particular person was anti-gun. Who knows.

Doc2005

1911Tuner
August 16, 2006, 09:25 PM
As a dyed-in-th-wool dog lover, this one makes me sad. I've been faced with the same thing on a couple of occasions, and it's not easy...but sometimes it has to be done. You did the right thing.

I keep a cheap single-shot .22 in the vehicles...transferred whenever I remember to or have time...for just such a scene. Much less noise to draw attention.

Boxers are big ol' clowns. This one really hit hard.

cassandrasdaddy
August 17, 2006, 12:00 AM
sorry you hada do it. glad you had what it takes to do it.
we had a kid down here about 25 hit a deer. was hurt real bad he had a deer tag a rifle and it was before sundown. he finished it off then called county dispatch to ask what he should do they weren't sure sent a game warden who wrote kid up. thankfully when it went to court and judge heard facts he looked at game warden and said" are you stupid"
to be fair this same guy wrote himself up one time when he made a mistake in his own hunting anf was reminded of it.and reminded the judge in court that he was liable for a "replacement fee"

psyopspec
August 17, 2006, 12:22 AM
I've done the same, once for a deer and another time for a kitten. The incident with the feline occured first, on a Sunday evening. I was on a country road passing near a farmhouse. After the strike I got out of the car and checked on the animal. It's back half was crushed. I went up to the door of the farmhouse and knocked. No response. Had it been open, there was a vet clinic 10 miles away. I came back to where the cat was in the ditch and finished it off with my ccw, then got in the car and drove away.

About a year later, I had a strike with a deer. I checked on the animal first, finished it off, then called the highway patrol to get an accident report filed for insurance. After the trooper arrived I handed over my DL and CCW and told him what happend. He was completely understanding, gave me the report tag, and we both went our separate ways.

In both cases it wasn't fun, but it was the right thing to do. An F-150 traveling at 50 mph is going to do some serious damage, and I suspect you did what was best too.

rangerruck
August 17, 2006, 12:31 AM
I love boxers, and breed them , from the best bloodline in the country. That being said, you were in between a rock and a hard one here. there would be hardly anything you could do here, that would be considered "right" by all parties involved. You did the right thing.

stevelyn
August 17, 2006, 09:20 AM
So far everything was done right until you called the police. This may bring you some unwanted attention.

As the saying goes.........No good deed goes unpunished.

Fosbery
August 17, 2006, 10:06 AM
Well done, did the right thing. Did the dog have collar? Might have been an idea to call whoever owned him and let them know where Fido is, or what's left of him :uhoh:

I remember hearing in the news about a policeman here who put a cat out of its misery. It had been completely crushed by a car, nothing was left below the shoulders. The animal control officers don't work during the night (this was like midnight) so he called control to see about getting a vet to come down and do the deed. He was told they can't do that because there's just no system set up to contact or pay for private vets. So the officer went to a nearby house and explained the situation and the owners gave him a shovel. He hit the cat twice with the shovel, then scooped it up and put it out of the way in a bush somewhere.

Of course, some stupid sheep complains about animal cruelty and he gets taken to court. Luckily, the judge knew instantly that the charges were insane, said as much, and aquitted him.

slicknickns
August 17, 2006, 11:03 AM
You might want to consider looking for that dog again; the body. You should bury it, might be a good idea, and it's a proper thing.

springmom
August 17, 2006, 11:43 AM
...but yes, you may have broken the law. Any identification on the dog? Somebody may be grieving their pet, not knowing the outcome. That is a very hard thing.

It is possible, of course, to transport an injured animal to an emergency vet. Just make VERY certain that you get a proper muzzle on the dog before attempting to move it. What looks like a fatal wound may not be, and an emergency vet may be able to save the dog and/or trace the dogs owner (even if there was no visible id, the dog may be microchipped.)

Very sad all around.

Springmom

PX15
August 17, 2006, 12:09 PM
Well..

I can't speak for leo's in Michigan, ********** or any other of the "unusual" States that are anti-2nd amendment, but I can guarantee you one thing.

Here in Georgia no one would have given you grief about putting the dog out of it's misery.

In fact if you had simply watched the suffering animal until a leo showed up he would probably say: "why didn't you put the poor thing out of it's misery"?

I couldn't watch an animal, wild or domestic just laying there suffering after being hurt so badly. I cannot understand the logic of a place where the leo's are more worried about where you obtained your firearm than they are about ending the suffering of a poor animal.

Common sense just seems to be missing in some places in circumstances such as this.

But, I'm old, what do I know...?

JMO

J. Pomeroy

1911ShooterTJ
August 17, 2006, 01:07 PM
That is very sad indeed. I love pets, and would hate to see such an accident. It would be heartbreaking to see. Feel comfort in knowing you did the right thing. Letting this poor animal suffer a long and excruciating death unnecessarily would tear me up even more. :(

On a side note, the fact you can be breaking the law and be charged for such a thing is absolutely asinine. The comment above about the State Trooper being charged for animal cruelty by putting a cat out of its misery boils my blood… :fire:

Braden
August 17, 2006, 02:59 PM
For those of you saying it was a mistake to call the police, how many of you think the police are actually going to go out and look for a dead dog on the side of the road? I would think they'd have better things to do.

I see dead deer and all kinds of other critters on the side of the road all the time. The only thing that seems to care about them are the vultures.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over calling the police. You did what needed to be done and thanks to you the pup didn't have to suffer anymore.

If you enjoyed reading about "Dog v. truck" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!