Good holsters?

PDA

Third_Rail
August 16, 2006, 11:47 AM
I've searched and searched, and I've yet to find a decent CCW holster for any BP revolvers. When I turn 21/around the apartment I'd like to have a decent holster. This "bucket type" I have now is uncomfortable and the revolver constantly shifts around.

Any leads?

If you enjoyed reading about "Good holsters?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Low Key
August 16, 2006, 01:54 PM
Try "uncle Mike's" holsters. I have a paddle style with thumb strap that fits my 5.5in Rem 58 rather well and a long shirt will conceal it from view. The size 3 vertical shoulder holster fits the same weapon and keeps it hidden and secure under a loose shirt.

Steve499
August 16, 2006, 03:04 PM
You should just make your own. If you have a leather shop anywhere around they usually have an economy pile which contains pieces large and heavy enough to make good holsters. I don't recall exactly but I believe I have less than $25.00 invested in both my belts and holsters combined.

Steve

Third_Rail
August 16, 2006, 04:08 PM
Yep, I figured I'd need to make my own... between Tandy and Brettun's, I shouldn't have to spend much, and I'll have plenty of leather left for other fun projects.

IWB holsters for BP arms are near impossible to find, I guess. I'll post pics whenever I get around to making it, though. Might be months.

Manyirons
August 16, 2006, 04:34 PM
What tha BOSS is usin.

http://www.mernickleholsters.com/pssys/ps6sasys.html

http://www.mernickleholsters.com/ps/ps6sar15.html

Third_Rail
August 16, 2006, 06:04 PM
Yeah, he also has money, though.

I'm a college student. :D

Old Fuff
August 16, 2006, 09:59 PM
For the record, I once had an inside-waistband holster for a Colt S.A.A/5 1/2" that was made in El Paso TX. during the 1890's, so the concept isn't new.

I have pictures of gunmen carrying cap & ball six-guns during the 1850's through the 1870's with the revolver simply stuck behind a belt or sash, but nothing in the way of "modern" CCW rigs.

I'm not sure what gun Third_Rail has in mind, but if the barrel length is in the 7" to 8" neighborhood I suspect that a very high cross-draw holster would be called for, and yes - I make my own too. Never believed I should have someone do what I could do for myself. Started when I was in college also. If you need help with a pattern a "pancake" style will do.

Third_Rail
August 16, 2006, 10:06 PM
3" barrel, 1861 snubnose, sold as an 1862 snub.

As for making what I need, I generally do that with leather goods; I simply don't have any decent leather to work with yet. Not about to use 3oz leather!

I'm thinking about 8-10oz for this project, just like my belt.

Old Fuff
August 16, 2006, 11:00 PM
Dixie Gun Works (www.dixiegunworks.com) has a reproduction of a Civil War Navy holster called a "frog." It was intended to carry a 1851 Colt Navy revolver with the barrel sticking out the bottom. As it is it's about the right length for your gun.

Item No. HL1202 Navy Pistol Frog $16.95

Not fancy, but interesting... ;)

Yankee John
August 17, 2006, 12:50 AM
Here are a couple of pics of my reproduction Civil War Navy frog (picked up cheap off eBay) with my Pietta snubnose 1860 Colt.

Perfect fit!

Hope this helps,

Old Fuff
August 17, 2006, 01:07 AM
The holster pictured above by Yankee John is the same kind offered by Dixie Gun Works. :)

Tinker2
August 17, 2006, 10:08 AM
Steve499

Nice job on your holsters. looks good.

Third_Rail

You could make this fit.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Pancake-Holster_W0QQitemZ130017162449QQihZ003QQcategoryZ2996QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Tinker2

Old Fuff
August 17, 2006, 10:49 AM
Tinker2:

Good try, but I don't think it would fit. It appears to be a holster for a S&W K-frame .38 or .357 revolver with a 2 1/2" or shorter barrel.

If you enjoyed reading about "Good holsters?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!