Wal-Mart: buyer screening

PDA

xiphur
August 16, 2006, 03:10 PM
Yestarday, I went to wally world to but some cheap range ammo. I get to the counter, wait a while before the sales clerk arrives and i tell her what i want. She asks for my ID as ususal and then asks me what if i was going to shoot it out of a hand gun. I'm confused for second and ask what else would i be using it for? She tells me to answer the question and I ask "since when did they start doing this?" She told me that she had been doing it for a while. I had bought ammo from there before and nobody asked me that. I answered yes and she proceeded to put my license number into the register. She asked me something alse but i don't really remember what it was. I ask what if i had said no and promtly responds saying that i would not have been able to buy any ammo. I ask, "well what if i were going to be shooting out of a carbine?" She never gave me a direct answer but she was really cool and explained to me why they do that. She told me that some people come in there and don't know what they need for their gun, or bring in a handful of brass and say "i need this type of ammo".

There is a range just down the street thus walmart stocks a lot of ammo. The clerk said that she used to get phone calls from them because people would get the wrong ammo for their guns. She said the guys at the range urged her to go shooting some time. Naturally, i suggested that she should too. The clerk told me about a time where she clearly knew that a customer needed 9mm but they insisted on getting .45 auto. She sold it to the customer and told them that they could not bring it back. Lo and behold the customer was back and need 9mm.

The lady was pretty cool about things and actually knew a little bit about what she was selling me. Although there are obvious holes in this practice and anyone can lie and say yes, I can understand why they do what they do seeing that Cincinnati is the way it is. Only thing is, this walmart was in a upsacle part of town and the other walmart where i purchase ammo (which does not practice the latter) is in more of an urban setting. To me that clearly shows who cares about who. But anyway has this ever happened to anyone else?

If you enjoyed reading about "Wal-Mart: buyer screening" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ArmedBear
August 16, 2006, 03:14 PM
Yeah, they asked me that, too.

I was buying .30-06, .223, and 12 Gauge birdshot.:rolleyes:

LiquidTension
August 16, 2006, 03:14 PM
This topic comes up pretty regularly. Do a search and you'll find dozens of pages of discussion about it :)

tegemu
August 16, 2006, 03:17 PM
I buy ammo variously at 3 different Walmarts and none of them has ever asked me for any sort of ID.

Mikee Loxxer
August 16, 2006, 03:18 PM
Last time I bought ammo at Wally World I was hoping they would ask me that same question, they did not. I was prepared to tell them the 45 Auto I was buying was for a machine gun.

Rich K
August 16, 2006, 03:34 PM
I just bought 300 rounds of Winchester white box 45 acp, and they didn't even ask for any ID. I have to shop there more often.:D

cmidkiff
August 16, 2006, 03:58 PM
I buy ammo at wally-world all the time. It's simply the least expensive route to go for many types of ammo.

I don't get ID'd, but then again I'm _obviously_ well beyond any minimum age requirement for purchase.

I have been asked the 'handgun use' question a few times, but only on calibers that are commonly used in both handguns and carbines.

In many places, my state included, you must be 21 to purchase handgun amunition, but you can purchase long-gun ammo at 18. The computer is prompting them... an experienced employee will look at you and decide for themselves that you are over the minimum age, and bypass the questions.

Chipperman
August 16, 2006, 04:06 PM
In many places, my state included, you must be 21 to purchase handgun amunition, but you can purchase long-gun ammo at 18. The computer is prompting them... an experienced employee will look at you and decide for themselves that you are over the minimum age, and bypass the questions.

What he said.

Last time I bought 9mm they asked, "Is this for a handgun or rifle?"
I said, "Neither, it's for a machine gun." Her look was priceless. The best part is that I was serious. :evil:

mordechaianiliewicz
August 16, 2006, 04:25 PM
I go to a Wal-Mart in thew 'burbs to get my 9mm, and after they first saw my ID, they never asked again, and they never put my name into anything.

I refuse to frequent places that won't allow me to keep my anonymity (b/c I rarely buy anything without cash)

SIOP
August 16, 2006, 04:34 PM
Last time I bought ammo at Wally World I was hoping they would ask me that same question, they did not. I was prepared to tell them the 45 Auto I was buying was for a machine gun.

Last time I told them that the guy stopped dead in his tracks and told me he didn't have to sell me any ammo. This was after he told me I could only buy 500 rounds at a time. I had to get management to intervene.

hub
August 16, 2006, 04:35 PM
wow, i guess i need a walmart clerk to tell me what kind of ammo my guns take:banghead: or better yet mr. gangbanger. i can see it now. (word i need some foyta fi fo my high point). is that to be shot out of a pistol? (hells yeah!) may i suggest these 9mm +p+ hollow points sir. next i line is me. (yes i would like a box of wwb in 9mm luger please.) is that for a pistol sir?, (no actually its for my car 15 9mm conversion im going to shoot at the range down the block. i just got it and had to wait 4 dayuntil after the back ground check before i could take it home.) sir we dont serve your kind here will you please leave!

Plumber576
August 16, 2006, 06:53 PM
They did that to me one time I was tired, and I straight up told them, "None of your business." They sold me the ammo and I left. BTW I was buying .45, 9mm, and 12 gauge.

dschwartz69
August 16, 2006, 07:28 PM
Just bought400 rounds of WWB in 9mm a couple weeks ago and no questions, no ID requested, no logged license numbers, etc.

Even if you HAD to answer a question, etc. how can you beat $11.95 for 100 rounds!!

Granted, I would rather have a different round to stake my life on, but it fires every time (several hundred rounds so far), no misfeeds and its pretty clean firing (in my Beretta 92FS).

MrTwigg
August 16, 2006, 09:39 PM
I've never seen a need to browbeat some minimum wage clerk. Wal-mart workers have things tough as it is. Say no, pay up & move on.

FTF
August 16, 2006, 09:43 PM
I bought some WWB 9 and .45 a couple weeks ago and the lady asked if it was for a pistol. Of course, it was but I get tired of their stupid questions and told her it wasn't. She didn't care let alone even know I think the register just told her to ask. So now I just tell them "no" and they leave it at that. And they don't take your DL number.. I think they just punch in your DOB... they better NOT be writing my DL number in there!:fire:

Taurus 66
August 16, 2006, 10:10 PM
One time while visiting my friendly neighborhood Walmart, I went to make a purchase on all they had in .223 an .357. I love buying out the store. :evil: The pimply clerk asked if I was going to use the .357 ammo for a pistol or rifle. I told him it was for a pistol. So by store policy (perhaps even state law) he had to ask me for my permit. This next event really happened. As I was handing it to him I said, "I was just kidding. It's for my lever action Marlin." so he says, "Well in that case I don't need to see it."

wally
August 16, 2006, 10:13 PM
Only time they asked me, I was buying .22LR. She asked "rifle or handgun?" I said "both". Never asked for ID, but then nobody will ever mistake me for being anywhere near 21 again :uhoh: .

--wally.

NevJohn
August 16, 2006, 10:15 PM
Not all WW's are the same it seems. Last week I was at a WW not far from me, waiting for the clerk to finish with another elderly fellow, in a WHEELCHAIR, who was buying some .22LR, and he had to produce his ID and state what it was for. Well, after seeing and hearing that, plus I didnt see the WWB ValueBox in .40SW, I left and went to my usual WW and bought what I needed, no questions asked. I begin to wonder sometimes about what and who WW hires. More than likely it is their managers tring to CYA!

wuluf
August 16, 2006, 10:54 PM
"Not all WW's are the same it seems"

true enough, my local WW no longer sells ammo....:fire:

Creeping Incrementalism
August 16, 2006, 11:02 PM
"Not all WW's are the same it seems"

true enough, my local WW no longer sells ammo....

Wal-Mart's (S.F.) Bay District dropped all ammo sales a few months ago. Life in the Bay Area--so multicultural. As long as you are not into gun culture.

Hawkmoon
August 16, 2006, 11:53 PM
The reason she gave (or that you deduced) isn't correct.

Wal-Mart's legal department has figured out that they can legally sell rifle ammo to 18-year olds, but they can only sell handgun ammo to people 21 or older. The cash registers in the sports department are programmed to prompt the clerk to ask if the ammo is for a handgun or a rifle, and if the answer is handgun they are supposed to ask if you are over 21.

In my case, there's no question, so they've learned to punch it in on their own
without asking ... usually. But I still get asked if there's a newbie or a substitute behind the counter.

It actually has nothing to do with the range down the street. It's corporate policy.

Dunno about the ID, though. I've bought ammo at three different Wal-Marts in my area and I have never been asked to show an ID.

spooney
August 16, 2006, 11:58 PM
The information the clerk was putting into the computer was actually your birthdate. Wal-Mart doesn't trust their clerks math skills enough to let them make the call so they are supposed to enter the customers birthdate into the computer and then hit enter to say the person is over 21.

mattw
August 17, 2006, 01:05 AM
spooney is right. i used to work at wal-mart. on ammo that can be used in a rifle or a handgun (mostly .22LR) they ask wether it is for a handgun or a rifle. if you answer rifle you can buy it if they think you're 18, if you say handgun you can buy if they think you are 21.

psyopspec
August 17, 2006, 01:31 AM
Today I bought 9mm, .223, and 6 bird shot today. They asked for ID to verify age and asked if the 9mm was for pistol. The checkout girl laughed with me at the ridiculousness of the 9mm question, and wished me happy hunting.

gazpacho
August 17, 2006, 01:37 AM
The one time i was asked that question, I said," Neither. I plan to arrange them for a photo shoot. I have no intention of shooting this ammo." This was the actual truth.

The look on the guy's face was priceless.

Lupinus
August 17, 2006, 02:08 AM
pay attention to how many numbers they are typing in.

If I ask you for ID store policy is I HAVE to type in your birthdate into the register, I'm not allowed to simply check and hand it back. I can bypass this by saying you are over the age I need to check, but the register logs how many times it is cleared and how many times a number is punched in and if you bypass it to often you can get a friendly managment reminder to check id.

I don't know if WalMarts works the same way but I knwo thats how it is at my store. Also keep in mind that some stores the policy for iding isn't if they look over the legal age. In many stores when you buy cigs the ploicy is to id 27 or younger. At my store (walgreens) if you look under 40 we have to card you and yes, they mean it. I have lost count how many times someone in their 30's has given me a dumb look when I ID them. I didn't make the stupid policy, I have bills to pay and don't feel like loosing my job, so just show the ID. Trust me, the company doesn't care if you rag on an employee doing their job and following a stupid corperate policy.

Tom Servo
August 17, 2006, 02:12 AM
"Is this for a rifle or a handgun, sir?"

"Actually, Doomsday Device."

"Huh?"

"Yeah, I need the brass because I'm building a machine that uses zero-point energy to warp the fabric of space and time to..."

"Umm...okay...handgun..."

:)

There are 3 Wal Marts within reasonable range of my house. Two have never asked anything beyond verifying my age (which is a compliment!). The third one suprised me by asking the "rifle or handgun" question. The clerk then asked me to take my driver's license out. I asked why, and she responded that she had to "put it in the computer."

What? I asked why, and she gave me a line about "company policy." I mentioned that none of the other locations did this, and her response was again, "company policy." I'm not one to make a scene, so I just said, "no thanks" and left. I no longer shop at that one (which is, incidentally, in a very unpleasant neighborhood anyhow).

I've talked to a few folks who work in Wal Mart's management, and there is no company policy that requires that.

Brad84cnc
August 17, 2006, 03:40 AM
I work in the sporting goods department at walmart and the we dont have to type in your birthday. But some people do or you can slide the drivers license and it does it automatically. As far as i know there is no specific policy regarding how old a person should look before we dont have to ID on ammo.
But it seems most of the younger people know to say its for a carbine if they are under 21. On an interesting note the registers have started asking if 270 is for rifle or handgun.

Euclidean
August 17, 2006, 03:52 AM
It's a senseless policy. There are so many things out there, it's goofy to try to say this is for a rifle, this is for a handgun. The Thompson Contender can probably fire anything Wally World sells if you have enough barrels.

I love it when you buy .410 shells because then you get to say in response to handgun or rifle: "Neither, although it could be used for either, potentially."

I've gotten to be a little bit of a smart ass about it, I admit. I bought a brick of .22 LR the other day and told them "Well I figure I'll put about a third of it through a pistol and another third through a rifle, not sure about the rest yet."

They stood there for 90 seconds not knowing what to do.

Now to the store's credit, most of their regulars in Sporting Goods don't ask stupid questions. I've noticed that if it's something which is typically a rifle round, they sell it as such, ditto for something that's typically fired from a handgun. In the case of all shotgun ammo and .22 LR, they call it "rifle" and go on rolling their eyes the whole time. I won't make fun of them for not knowing that "45 AUTO" and .45 ACP are the same box of cartridges, but I would poke fun at them for not realizing it's typically fired from a pistol.

Reyn
August 17, 2006, 04:08 AM
Around here when they scan it i hear it beep and i can tell some of the clerks havent sold it before because they look confused while reading whatever message they are seeing on the other side.

Valkman
August 17, 2006, 04:30 AM
No ID, no stupid questions at the ones here. I told the clerk that's always there (older guy) about the "what kind of gun" question that some ask and he said "I could care less what it's for!". Good guy.

clarence222
August 17, 2006, 04:34 AM
I have never been carded at WW for ammo and I have spent about $600 this week on all there clearance ammo, 30.06, 7mm, 12 guage. It maybe that I live in a rural area and most of the clerks I have ealt with are intelligent sporting goods clerks and know the difference. I have'nt even been asked for my DOB although well over the age of 21.

KD5NRH
August 17, 2006, 05:04 AM
Have some fun with 'em:

"Well, I need one box for a rifle, and one for a revolver, and one for a semiauto. Would you mind labeling them so I don't get them mixed up?"

Of course, at my local store, they only have two people that normally run the SG counter, and they both seem at least fairly clueful. That limits my fun to the rare occasions when they have to bring in someone else to cover.

dragongoddess
August 17, 2006, 07:26 AM
I never get carded but then again I was on the R&D team that developed Dirt so usually there is no need to ask me for ID. I'm just waiting for my AARP discount on ammo.

crazed_ss
August 17, 2006, 07:45 AM
Walmart asks the rifle or pistol question. I just answer "pistol" and show my ID. It's really not a big deal. I dont see any reason to be an ass to the clerk working there since they're just following Wal-Mart procedure and Wal-Mart is just follwing CA law.

CajunBass
August 17, 2006, 10:21 AM

They ask me the question once in a while, but it's obvious I'm old enought to buy for either. If they do, I don't get all worked up about. I just answer the question. They're simply trying to cover their butts.

I think a lot of people who rip on employee's who ask these kinds of questions forget one thing. It is the employee's business to ask. In most cases as mentioned above it is a matter of the law. The employee, not just the company can be held liable for violation of the law. Hence the computer prompts them to ask "Are you over 21?" (or whatever age) "Is this ammo for a rifle or a handgun?"

I'm not sure about ammo, because I've never sold it, but I would think it works just like the law did when I worked in a convience store and sold tobacco and alcohol. The cash register prompted me to ask for ID. If I sold tobacco or alcohol to anyone under age, I could be fired, fined, or even jailed. The company I worked for could be fined or lose their license. You think I didn't cover my butt and check ID's? I didn't care what kind of wise guy answer I got, or if someone got mad and walked out. That was ok with me. I wasn't going to jail for that. I wasn't going to get fired for that. Let the company or the Alcohol and Tobacco people catch me not checking, and it was a different story.
(Now that I think of it, some of our stores in rural parts of the state do sell some ammo. Shotgun shells, and 22's mostly. In the training class we covered it, and it was the same. Cash register would prompt you to check ID and ask handgun/rife in the case of 22 ammo.)

The employee isn't "hassling you." They're doing their jobs. The company isn't "hassling you." They don't want to pay a fine or lose their FFL.

poppy
August 17, 2006, 10:23 AM
When I worked behind the gun counter at Dick's about 10 years ago, we were trained to ask the pistol or rifle question, but we usually didn't. It's a stupid question, but I would card a young looking customer who wanted to buy 9mm or some other caliber that is primarily a pistol round.

As for .22 ammo, I would only card if they looked close to 18. We would just assume that it was for a rifle.:)

salty
August 17, 2006, 10:35 AM
Fed law - 21 and above for handgun ammo - just like buying beer the computers are programed to ensure clerks check on ID issue because of lawsuits by lawyers and enforcement issues by aggressive da's (that would be lawyers again) they have to cover their butts. 9 mm question - I have a 9 mm AR and there are many longguns that shoot traditional handgun ammo so the question is appropriate. Big picture issue for me is that if you pay by credit card or if they record info they could at some point track your purchases.

America_without_liberals
August 17, 2006, 10:43 AM
I've never once been asked these questions anywhere in PA including several WWs. (found 25 auto on clearance last night for $5/box and silver tip 30-06 winchester for $7):D If this is store policy then I tend to agree with most of the posters here, how intelligent is the clerk working the counter? The guy who always seems to be at the counter of my local WW is an older gentleman who seems to be a fellow outdoorsman. If his register is asking him to enter this info, then he is just using his knowledge and I am not even near 21 and if it's really for a pistol.

cameron.personal
August 17, 2006, 10:51 AM
Just say NO.
I've never seen a need to browbeat some minimum wage clerk. Wal-mart workers have things tough as it is. Say no, pay up & move on.

Nuff said

Lupinus
August 17, 2006, 12:10 PM
Just say NO.
you do relize if you say no when requested for ID they have every right to refuse a sale? Even if by looks you are obviously old enough.

If you come to my counter, ask for a pack of camels, and I card you and you say "No" my response is "Sorry then I can't sell you these" when they ask why I point out the company policy that says it right infront of the register. And you are very likly to be well above age, as I said before my stores policy is that anyone under 40 gets carded and it isn't a wink wink nudge nudge policy like most places with the 27 policy, my company says it and it is one of the few policys they have that is actually followed.

Do I think it is a stupid policy? Sure do, but I don't make the rules and I don't feel like loosing my job today.

If you don't want to put up with stupid clerks at walmart, or stupid policys at walmart, spend a dollar or two more a box and go to the gun store.

As a side question though, if you are buying ammo that is normally a pistol round (like .357mag) for use in a rifle is it legal to buy the ammo or since it is generaly reguarded as a pistol ammo is it still illegal?

Hoppy590
August 17, 2006, 12:35 PM
im not opposed to being carded but the pistol vs rifle question if rediculous. its another law that makes people feel good and does nothing. i saw a sign that said it was illegal to sell pistol ammo to anyone under 21. i almost ripped them a new on on the simple fact that there is no such thing as "pistol ammo" as far as i know any common pistol cartrige is available in carbine form. or even a custom set up. but it was like 11 pm so all the sporting goods guys had already gone home

TonyB
August 17, 2006, 12:51 PM
A buddy of mine is a manager in Wal-mart..he says their policy when someone buys a gun is to have a manager walk them to their car.And they can't sell them ammo for the gun at the same time(but they can just go back in the store and buy some..)I guess they figure if the guy starts shooting,the manager makes enough money to be the 1st one shot.
The WM by my house asks the handgun question about 1/2 the time.Never had to show ID though.I was buying a case of 38's that they had ordered for me once and the teenaged clerk asked.."how long will this last you?"I said"I'll be back tomarrow."he smiled and said"COOL.";)

xds&gsps
August 17, 2006, 01:09 PM
I always buy my ammo at ww & have never been asked what I was shooting it out of. I do always get id'd though when I am buying 9mm (I have a baby face even with a beard).

denfoote
August 17, 2006, 05:37 PM
They used to ask at my local Wallyworld.
Now, they don't bother.
The clerk does get irritated when she has to push that little "yes" button ten times, every time I buy a case of 9mm!!! :evil:

Ryder
August 18, 2006, 09:26 AM
how can you beat $11.95 for 100 rounds

By loading your own for about half that price.

Roadwild17
August 18, 2006, 10:31 AM
1st off, I am 21 so they do ID me, I pay atention to what they type in 8 numbers which just hapen to be my b-day.

Most of my locals are very good with ammo, arms (yes mine still has guns) and even knives & black powder.

One time a young girl asked me if 30-06 was for a handgun,, I had to say "yes" :what:

Whover said 100 round was 11.95, yesterday is was 13 something :eek:

danurve
August 18, 2006, 12:22 PM
The local China-Mart, has removed firearms from the sporting goods dept.
This solves the buying ammo from China-Mart delima for me there, forever.
You see this citizen has a choice, and that choice is to never again spend another penny in the local China-Mart sporting goods dept.

Piss on China-Mart. Sam Walton must be turning over in his grave.

AirForceShooter
August 18, 2006, 12:43 PM
Gray hair gets me a pass on all this stuff.
It's either threatening or pity.

AFS

MrTwigg
August 18, 2006, 02:07 PM
you do relize if you say no when requested for ID they have every right to refuse a sale? Even if by looks you are obviously old enough.

By all means show the ID ! I ment just say no when they ask if it's for a pistol. Would'nt it be great to skew WW's data ? :evil:

If everyone just said "No, it's for a rifle/carbine." that woud knock their data for a loop ! :D

Dirty Bob
August 18, 2006, 03:36 PM
I always say,

"No, it's for a carbine."

I see no reason to give the clerk any trouble. Besides, it saves me time!

Regards,
Dirty Bob

Wynterbourne
August 19, 2006, 02:30 AM
The only question I've ever been asked when buying ammo at Wal-Mart is, "Holy F*** Man! You planning on invading Mexico or something?"

Of course, I was buying a little over 5,000 rounds of WWB. Took a bunch of friends shooting for the 4th.

mbs357
August 19, 2006, 02:41 AM
This reply is directed to the original post...
So...if you went up there and bought some .308, .30-06, and some 12 gauge...and they asked you if it was for a pistol...and you said no...they wouldn't sell it to you... Or do they only say that with regards to pistol cartridges, like 9mm and .45?
Am I getting that right? :scrutiny:

Hot brass
August 19, 2006, 02:46 AM
At Wal-Mart I always answer NO!

Pumpkinheaver
August 20, 2006, 02:46 PM
They have been asking these questions here for as long as I can remember. It seem to be a random thing, sometimes they do, other times they don't.

mjb
August 20, 2006, 07:14 PM
The last time I attempted to purchase ammo at Wallmart the clerk asked me if I was going to use it foor deer hunting.(9mm) She said if I was going to use it for that she wasn't going to sell it to me. I walked straight to a manager and asked him why she asked me that and he was unable to come up with an answer. I went home and then called a customer service number and reported the incident. The person on the phone told me that the clerk was wrong, but did nothing else except to say that he will talk to her.
No more wallmart for me! :cuss:

Lupinus
August 20, 2006, 07:16 PM
its been no more walmart for me for awhile, I go there and buy as little from them is humanly possible.

Hawkmoon
August 20, 2006, 08:46 PM
I bought ammo at Wally World today. .45 ACP.

No "rifle or pistol?" questions. The clerk took a look at me, said "I guess you're over 21?" to which I replied "Long since, unfortunately," she nodded, pushed the appropriate button, and rang up the sale.

No ID asked for or shown. No invasive questions. No data entered into their system. No hassles at all, in fact. Price has gone up, though. It used to be $19 and change for 100 rounds of WWB FMJ. Today it was $22.45.

langenc
August 20, 2006, 10:42 PM
When buying and they dont ask it is because you are obviously over 21. Some clerks know why the question is asked-some dont.

If they ask if the LR is for pistol/rifle just point to the box and say RIFLE just like the box says.

I wasat a range yesterday and someone had shot up a box of UMC stuff --250 rounds and it was marked $44.95?? I guess that is the new inflated price. My son and I were talking about shotshell prices. I dont know how much they have gone up but not liong ago could be a box for just over $3. With lead shot at over $20/25# bag(Most likely more) and primers at 2.50/100 we are at nearly $2.00 for just the shot and primers. The mfgrs have to come up with wads, hulls, box to put them in and shipping and the dealer has to make something?? Go figure.

The Deer Hunter
August 20, 2006, 11:04 PM
i wouldnt ever buy rifle/pistol ammo at Walmart.
the quality of their products is horrible.

did you know that the guns they sell are cheaper because they are lower grade?

Green Lantern
August 20, 2006, 11:20 PM
I've bought ammo at 3 different Wal-Marts in 2 different states, and don't think I've ever been asked those questions...

(FWIW, I'm mid-20's but look either younger or older depending on hair/facial hair etc...:p )

akodo
August 21, 2006, 12:52 AM
regarding the attitude of 'they are just minimum wage clerks, cut them some slack'

I don't but that line. Wal-mart could pay more and attract a better quality checkout person, but they choose not to. I am not going to bend over backwards to make things easier so walmart or whoever can save money and line their own pockets.

Walmart and many others decided to push small businesses out, well it was small businesses that used to have good customer service, and it was probably the owner or family that ran the cash register. I'd give a place like that back some change if they overpaid me, but normally they are smart enough not to. At walmart if the machine chugs out more change than it is supposed to, or rolls out some susan b anthonys instead of quarters, my attitude is 'walmart payed some company tons to figure out how much a $5.00 clerk would loose in mistakes vs how much a $7.00 clerk who never made a mistake would cost, they chose the $5.00 with their eyes wide open to the facts, and were willing to accept the minor losses and mistakes, and even drive away customers, so who am I to mess with their system. If i get overpayed back in change, it's what walmart chose to do'

Lupinus
August 21, 2006, 01:47 AM
the sad part is in a few moments of desperation I actually applied at walmart....twice

The buggers didn't hire me, thats kind of sad really when wally world doesn't wanna hire you.

weregunner
August 21, 2006, 02:18 AM
Last year the clerk said that selling hollowpoints were sticking in his craw.Did not ask for clarification on the point.Would have made good standup comedy if he had replied.Wally mart here hasn't asked the usage reason in awhile. Could be our answers are like this.:neener: Liberals.Gotta love em.With hot sauce.

toivo
August 21, 2006, 02:27 AM
Just because the chain has a policy doesn't mean all the employees know it. I think legally they're only supposed to ID you if you don't look old enough: 18 for long gun, 21 for handgun, at least in my state. I've had all different experiences. I was once asked when buying .22lr if it was for a pistol or rifle. I said "rifle" and wasn't asked for ID. Mind you, I'm 52, and I might look a few years younger, but nowhere near 21! I have bought shotgun shells many times and never been asked anything. Then one time I was asked for ID when buying pellets and CO2 cartridges. I don't get it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Wal-Mart: buyer screening" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!