T/C Omega + powerbelt load for elk?

PDA

grizz
August 17, 2006, 03:01 AM
I've got my T/C Omega sighted 2 inches high at 100 yards perfectly for mule deer, but I'm also going to use it for elk for the first time this year as well. I'm currently using 245g aerotip Powerbelts + 100g Pyrodex.

Should I change the load to 150g Pyrodex, see where it shoots, adjust sights (red dot), and use for both seasons? There is about a month between seasons, so the other option is to change it between seasons.

Anyone else have any other load suggestions for use with 245g Powerbelts?

Also, does anyone have any experience with the new "Platinum" Powerbelts?

I took a nice mule deer last season with the current load and have 100% confidence in it, but I'm not sure it will have enough energy for a bull elk at 100+ yards???

Thanks for the help.

If you enjoyed reading about "T/C Omega + powerbelt load for elk?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
arcticap
August 19, 2006, 04:53 AM
I haven't shot elk, but I've heard of some hunters using heavier bullets for them. That doesn't mean that you need to, but I imagine that the most accurate bullet may not be the most lethal bullet at the longest ranges as far as bullet placement error could be concerned. Accuracy Vs. penetration and expansion is always up to the individual hunter and what he feels is the best all around bullet choice. And the same goes for the powder load, what amount provides the best accuracy Vs. terminal performance usually always involves a trade off of some sort.
You failed to mention the caliber, is it .50? Some modern .45-70's shoot 300 grain bullets. What was the range and size of the mule deer you shot that your bullet provided such good performance on compared to the average elk that you might stalk?
What other bullet weights do you have to choose from in the bullet styles that you are willing to hunt with, 260, 275, 300, 325, 350 ?
Maybe the same could be asked about the powder charge, what loadings between 100 and 150 grains are you willing to experiment with?
Everything will work if the bullet placement is perfect enough and the powder charge is potent enough, right?
The next question would be how much recoil can you tolerate while still shooting accurately at your maximum range?

grizz
August 20, 2006, 09:08 PM
I think I'm going to try the new Powerbelt "Platinum" bullets in a heavier weight (270g) in my .50 Omega. These apparently deliver the best energy at the ranges I'm most likely to encounter of the bullets I'm considering.

I've read that 777 is much less corrosive then pyrodex, so I'm going to switch to 777 pellets.

I will experiment with loads from 120g to 150g and see what my Omega likes.

I'm not willing to switch to saboted bullets, because of the cleaning step required between reloads. I'd prefer the relatively quick second shot the Powerbelts provide.

If you enjoyed reading about "T/C Omega + powerbelt load for elk?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!