Tell me one more time

PDA

Old Partner
August 17, 2006, 09:44 AM
Tell me again about how dangerous police work is...

Most dangerous job in U.S.A.

Rank Occupation Death rate/100,000 Total deaths
1 Fishers and fishing workers 118.4 48
2 Logging workers 92.9 80
3 Aircraft pilots 66.9 81
4 Structural iron and steel workers 55.6 35
5 Refuse and recyclable material collectors 43.8 32
6 Farmers and ranchers 41.1 341
7 Electrical power line installers/repairers 32.7 36
8 Driver/sales workers and truck drivers 29.1 993
9 Miscelleneous agricultural workers 23.2 176
10 Construction laborers 22.7 339

If you enjoyed reading about "Tell me one more time" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Biker
August 17, 2006, 10:09 AM
The most dangerous ocupation of all wasn't listed - being a husband! Man, I've looked death (my wife in a bad mood) in the face every day for many years now...~shudders~

In any case, this thread ain't gonna last long.

Biker:)

mzmtg
August 17, 2006, 10:27 AM
The fishermen just want to make it home to their families. If they have to trample the rights of the fish, then so be it.

hankdatank1362
August 17, 2006, 10:29 AM
Airline pilots? B/C of terrorists, or crashes, or what?

oh. It said air craft pilots. I remember hearing about all those poor army guys who chrashed during training and all. I guess they were taken into account.

ORAG
August 17, 2006, 10:37 AM
For one to be successful, you must be trained at your job. It is always the guy that says, "I wonder what will happen if I do this?" that dies stupidly. Soldiers that are trained to do their job well are rewarded with victory in battle. Those that jump on grenades are rewarded with medals. (posthumously) I hate that stupid people are combined with smart people in figures like the above. You can die in any job if the exposure to calamity is combined with under training. I love the Darwin Awards and think Murphy was an optimist

Old Partner
August 17, 2006, 10:40 AM
Aircraft pilots also includes fire supression and crop dusters, both of which are plenty dangerous.

coltrane679
August 17, 2006, 01:45 PM
Wait, are you questioning part of the standard reponse offered up whenever anyone asks why so many cops are goons with bad tempers and delusions of godhood?

Why do you hate America? Do you want the terrorists to win?

ilbob
August 17, 2006, 02:28 PM
Wait, are you questioning part of the standard reponse offered up whenever anyone asks why so many cops are goons with bad tempers and delusions of godhood?

Thats kind of unfair. Most cops are decent, honorable people, like most of the rest of us. Not perfect, but good guys none the less. The problem is they have bought into the loyalty to the group crap so much they cannot see the level of grief the rotten apples are causing them and how much support it has already cost them with the population at large.

When you support evil, people think you are evil.

Couple that with an almost complete lack of effective supervison, and no means by which the average person who has been wronged by LE can get justice, and one should be able to understand why a large segment of the population at large does not see LE in a favorable light these days.

rbernie
August 17, 2006, 02:39 PM
Wait, are you questioning part of the standard reponse offered up whenever anyone asks why so many cops are goons with bad tempers and delusions of godhood?That's the kind of perjorative statement that gets even good threads locked. :scrutiny:

If there's a point to be made in this thread, we probably ought to try and make it before things stray too far afield.

Couple that with an almost complete lack of effective supervisonHow did you determine this to be so?

Father Knows Best
August 17, 2006, 02:40 PM
You've selectively quoted data. The fact that police work may not show up in a top 10 list of fatality rates doesn't mean that police work is not risky -- it just means that it's not as risky as those ten jobs.

In fact, the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), which generated the list you quoted, also publishes an Index of Relative Risk. The Index is a comparison of the risk of fatal injury for a given injury to the "average" job. In other words, any job with an index value of more than 1.0 means people in those jobs have a higher than average risk of fatal injury on the job. Anything with an index value of less than 1.0 means people in those jobs have a lower than average risk.

According to BLS, the Index of Relative Risk for "police, detectives and supervisors" is 3.4. In other words, you are 3.4 times as likely to be killed on the job as a police officer than the average American worker.

To me, that's risky. Not so risky as being a fisherman or logger, I guess, but still risky.

Source: http://www.bls.gov/iif/oshwc/cfar0020.pdf

coltrane679
August 17, 2006, 02:57 PM
Well, I could say something other than what I really think--maybe I should do that to keep the thread unlocked. What a country we have become!

As far as the allegation of being "kind of unfair", yeah--any generalization is "kind of unfair", although I never claimed it applied to all or even most, just many. But when my local yokels stop with their "kind of unfair" generalizations, I do promise to reciprocate.

Phetro
August 17, 2006, 02:58 PM
According to BLS, the Index of Relative Risk for "police, detectives and supervisors" is 3.4. In other words, you are 3.4 times as likely to be killed on the job as a police officer than the average American worker.

To me, that's risky. Not so risky as being a fisherman or logger, I guess, but still risky.

Sure--but it's nowhere close to risky enough to justify the "the most important thing is that I go home safe at night--your rights don't matter in comparison" attitude that some people in the profession take.

For that matter, no amount of risk would justify it.

TallPine
August 17, 2006, 03:03 PM
I've done half of the jobs on that top ten list at one time or another. ;)

I've never been a cop, though I'm currently a volunteer wildland firefighter - I wonder how that ranks on the risky list ...?

Brian Williams
August 17, 2006, 03:13 PM
President, 1 death for every 10.75, total shot at = 1 in 5.375.

I think those statistics include accidental deaths. I wonder what the murder rate is for Lawmen because of their job compared to a fisherman.

Not many people shoot at a fisherman because that is what he does, where often a BG will shoot at a Lawman just because that is who he is.

Nathanael_Greene
August 17, 2006, 03:13 PM
It seems that few people who are so ready to blame cops for their inadequacies are reluctant to step and do the job themselves.

That being said, the job is plenty dangerous, and while there are bad cops (just as there are bad doctors, bad bad teachers, and bad teachers), I'm glad they're out there doing their job.

(The Literacy Police will note the use of their, they're, and there in the same sentence!)

Father Knows Best
August 17, 2006, 03:14 PM
Sure--but it's nowhere close to risky enough to justify the "the most important thing is that I go home safe at night--your rights don't matter in comparison" attitude that some people in the profession take.

For that matter, no amount of risk would justify it.

No one's arguing that police are entitled to disregard the civil rights of others. I know quite a few LEO's, and I've never met one that has the "attitude" you are referring to. I do know several who have been attacked and injured, including my brother who was stabbed. I know that they deal every day with the worst elements of society, many of whom wouldn't think twice about doing them harm. In that context, I think it's amazing how conscientious they are, and how much restraint they regularly show. Sure, there are bad apples (there are in any given group), and even the good ones sometimes make mistakes, but for the most part they work difficult and relatively risky jobs for not a lot of pay, and try very hard to respect the civil rights of those they interact with.

TallPine
August 17, 2006, 03:32 PM
It seems that few people who are so ready to blame cops for their inadequacies are reluctant to step and do the job themselves.
Well, other than my age (50+) and lack of experience/training, the main reason that I would not be a cop is because I could not stomach enforcing laws against victimless crimes.

Art Eatman
August 17, 2006, 03:44 PM
Good APS topic...

If you enjoyed reading about "Tell me one more time" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!