Oleg Volk, Is someone else stealing your work?

PDA

ScottsGT
August 17, 2006, 02:21 PM
Saw this on Evil Bay and it looks like some of your work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SHORTEST-PATH-SEXY-GUN-SAFE-FRIDGE-BEER-MAGNET_W0QQitemZ230019098345QQihZ013QQcategoryZ35729QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If you enjoyed reading about "Oleg Volk, Is someone else stealing your work?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DKSuddeth
August 17, 2006, 02:32 PM
I do believe that is Oleg's work. I like the attempt to mask the theft by using a personal watermark in the lower right hand corner.

go get em Oleg, unless you authorized the seller.

orangelo
August 17, 2006, 02:34 PM
Sure enough looks like one of Oleg's.

Quick, get the UN and Interpol on it. (oops, they steal his stuff too)

hso
August 17, 2006, 02:40 PM
He's got an ebay store and has stolen a couple of Oleg's copywrighted images. He's also stolen everything he's got.

The bigger hammer would be to contact everyone he's done this to, larger beer companies, and let them drop on him as well.

Chipperman
August 17, 2006, 02:42 PM
That absoutely is one of Oleg's. The model is a member here also.

I think the mark on the corner is from the hosting service for the pic.

If Oleg did not give them permission, this should be a slam dunk. This is not just being posted, but being sold for profit.

Henry Bowman
August 17, 2006, 02:45 PM
Oleg knows about it and is addressing it.

Thefabulousfink
August 17, 2006, 02:49 PM
Does Oleg sell magnets? He could have bought them and is trying to sell them on E-Bay. That would be quasi-legal unless (like some candy bars) Oleg has stated that his work cannot be bought for commercial sale. The even-more gray would be if he purchased posters and made them into magnets. However this might violate stipulations not to reproduce Oleg's work.

Whatever he's doing, I would like to hear from Oleg on this one.

Eightball
August 17, 2006, 02:53 PM
For pointing out this vagrant theiving of Oleg's fantastic work, maybe he'll reward us with free samples of his next idea? Just as a "beta test", of course :D .

Sic 'em, Oleg.

Justin
August 17, 2006, 03:02 PM
The name of this cretin's store is "CREATIVE CUSTOM MAGNETS AND MORE."

Wow. It's self-deconstructing.

50 Shooter
August 17, 2006, 03:10 PM
Click on the contact us link and report it, if enough people do.... Maybe ebay will get it right for once. Plus you'll be helping out Oleg.;)

Working Man
August 17, 2006, 03:14 PM
Indeed it is..... once again his work is stolen.

AJ Dual
August 17, 2006, 03:30 PM
What I love is how he watermarked "sample" on the pic to prevent anyone from "re-stealing" it from him...

Reported it to eBay, FWIW.

Carl N. Brown
August 17, 2006, 03:33 PM
A friend of mine lost a floppy disk and his wife found it.
She left it where he could find it: stuck to the refrigerator
door with a magnet.

50 Shooter
August 17, 2006, 03:35 PM
Here's what ebay sent me.

We will review the listing(s) you have reported for violations of our Potentially Infringing Items policies. In order to keep eBay a safe and fun place to trade, we often rely on members like you to bring such violations to our attention.

In light of our privacy policy, we cannot share with you any action taken by eBay with respect to this listing. If we determine that the listing violates eBay policy, we may:

1. Send the seller an informational alert; 2. Remove the listing; or 3. Suspend the seller.

Account suspensions are usually reserved for those sellers that repeatedly disregard policy.

If the item you reported does not appear on its face to be infringing, we may refer it to the intellectual property rights owner for review. If the rights owner has a good faith belief that the item is infringing, they may choose to send eBay a formal request to remove the listing. For more information on eBay's cooperation with rights owners, please visit:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/confidence/programs-vero-ov.html

For more information on eBay's Potentially Infringing Items policies, please visit:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/item_allowed.html

In order for us to get to you in a timely manner, please do not respond to this email. If you reply to this message we will not receive your email. All communications should be sent through the link provided above.

Thank you for your report.

Regards,

The eBay Community Watch Team

qlajlu
August 17, 2006, 03:59 PM
These are other "Gun Babe" magnets offered by that guy on eBay. Could any of these also be Oleg's?
http://stores.ebay.com/CREATIVE-CUSTOM-MAGNETS-AND-MORE_Gun-Babe-Magnets_W0QQfsubZ4364426

Nathanael_Greene
August 17, 2006, 04:08 PM
I reported it as well.

I hope the listing is removed (at least) and the seller is suspended (a little better) or sued into oblivion (only fair).

'Card
August 17, 2006, 04:15 PM
While the woman in the picture is certainly attractive, calling her a "SUPER SEXY BEER BABE" seems a little odd to me.

Q-Lock
August 17, 2006, 04:28 PM
Well I decided to send a message to the seller, and apparently (according to him) he has an arrangement with Oleg regarding the matter. Perhaps we are jumping to conclusions...or perhaps he is just trying to cover his rear.

Maybe Oleg will jump in with his opinion of the matter?

Eightball
August 17, 2006, 04:56 PM
If Oleg really has an agreement with this guy, maybe Oleg could tell him to add some class to the sale of his work. "Super Sexy Beer Babe" undermines the entire message of the poster/magnet.

Amish_Bill
August 17, 2006, 05:17 PM
Guys -- back off a little.

Oleg and his IP representation are addressing the matter. No need to jump in and swirl up the mud while things are being taken care of by the appropriate parties.

El Barto
August 17, 2006, 07:01 PM
I like how everyone has either jumped in or is willing to jump in to protect one of our own. Makes me proud to be a member.

Amish_Bill
August 17, 2006, 07:14 PM
issue resolved -- buy your Oleg magnets at will

:D

Oleg Volk
August 17, 2006, 07:15 PM
Gentlemen, thank you very much for your help. We came to an agreement regarding future and past royalties. This becomes yet another vector to spread my messages (I will be designing images specific to the small magnet format in the future.) I am pointing the seller to this thread so that he'd read about the captions. I wonder if the "BEER BABE" caption was put there to get keyword search results.

gunsmith
August 17, 2006, 08:51 PM
& i couldn't

hso
August 18, 2006, 12:03 AM
This is the reply to my question about ownership of the images:
Yes- Mr. Volk and I have an arrangement. Thanks for your concern.
Patrick~

Did you have the agreement with him before we saw his work or did the agreement develop as a result of our having seen his work?

Oleg Volk
August 18, 2006, 12:45 AM
After I found out. I wanted to try finding a peaceful solution first.

hso
August 18, 2006, 12:56 AM
I assumed as much.;)

alyck
August 18, 2006, 04:15 AM
Greetings forum members,

My name is Patrick and I am the person selling the magnets in question in my ebay store. I wanted to write to the board so that I might apologize and offer an explanation.
A majority of the images I've used came from a photo compilation CD. I bought this CD last year at a flea market in Los Angeles. The booth had hundreds of compilations; gun girls, cars, nudes etc etc. The sign at the booth read: MATERIAL WITHIN NOT SUBJECT TO COPYRIGHT. Before yesterday, I had (unfortunately) never heard of Oleg Volk nor was I familiar with his work.
Together, Mr. Volk and I have reached an arrangement to share in the profits generated by sales of magnets containing his images. Please see post #23 on this thread by Mr. Volk himself. In addition, a link to volkstudio will be added on all auctions containing those images. I admire the loyalty this board has shown to Mr. Volk and I understand the effort to protect his artwork.
I'm thrilled to be working with Oleg in an official capacity now. Once again, I'd like to offer my sincere apologies to Mr. Volk and his supporters from this forum. I realize that my ignorance of Mr. Volks copyrighted work is no excuse- however not everything in this world is done with evil intention. I was simply not aware.
I respectfully request that folks be happy for the mutually beneficial arangement Mr. Volk and I have. This venture will not only spread the messages of Mr. Volk, but it will also provide extra side income for him- some of which, hopefully, may go to fund future projects we've all come to appreciate.
Perhaps this will put an end to the angry emails filling up my Inbox. I thank you all for your time and understanding. I hope to have further constructive discussions with this forum in the future.
Sincerely,
Patrick~

Psssniper
August 18, 2006, 04:58 AM
Patrick thats a classy post, thanks for being a stand up and do the right thing kind of guy.
Paul

Taurus 66
August 18, 2006, 05:15 AM
alyck, you sure do say a lot, but I for one don't buy it. The works of Oleg Volk are his property and are protected under copyright. It seems you first attempted to generate a profit off his radar screen (without his prior knowledge), but once detected and finally confronted, you turned it around on him to arrange some sort of agreement - to pacify yet still profit.

Perhaps this will put an end to the angry emails filling up my Inbox.

I'm sorry for your unfortunate e-mails, but you must know you're getting what you deserve. Your level of conduct in this matter was inappropriate. You should have went to the source first and received Mr. Volk's written permission to go ahead with what you're doing rather than going about your business in haphazardly fashion thinking, "Nobody would ever suspect anything."

I Am but one High Roader who will always look out for Oleg's best interests, and I'm not the only one. Make no mistake. THR material is not free property!

Valkman
August 18, 2006, 05:22 AM
Patrick, I appreciate the first post (and welcome), but I've seen alot of your pics on the web before so you may run into more of this. That CD you bought seems to be full of ripped off images.

Brian Dale
August 18, 2006, 09:09 AM
Oleg: Well done, Sir. :cool:

Patrick, welcome to The High Road! :)

Oleg Volk
August 20, 2006, 01:42 PM
The business arrangement we reached was on my initiative. Patrick did right by me once he became aware of the issue. I appreciate the heads-up and the support, but now that we have reached a mutually acceptable agreement, there's no need to be rude to Patrick.

45R
August 20, 2006, 01:55 PM
Classy posts by both Oleg and Patrick! Glad everything worked out!

qlajlu
August 20, 2006, 01:55 PM
...we have reached a mutually acceptable agreement, there's no need to be rude to Patrick.
Oleg, forever the gentleman.

Welcome to The High Road, Patrick. It is too bad that your initial introduction to this forum had to be under a cloud of controversy, but we only talk about guns and gun related topics here. We do not eat our children as some would have you believe.

Visit often. Make some posts. Enjoy the commeraderie.

45R
August 20, 2006, 02:28 PM
Double Tap DOh

Stiletto Null
August 20, 2006, 02:32 PM
That model's sexy all right. But that's not the pic I would've chosen for putting the sexy on the fridge door.

Image NSFW (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/StilettoOne/bothways2307small.jpg)

Biker
August 20, 2006, 03:34 PM
Good Lord...

I'm in lust.:uhoh:

Biker

Lupinus
August 20, 2006, 03:42 PM
:eek:

Stil does she have a sister? :evil:

NineseveN
August 20, 2006, 03:44 PM
Welcome Patrick, glad the two of you worked out a deal. :)

Arkie
August 20, 2006, 03:54 PM
Down Biker Down...

Someone get some cold water for Biker!!!! :D

Does that photo come in full size for my Fridge :D

aaronrkelly
August 21, 2006, 04:19 AM
Hey Patrick (or anyone else):

I really like this image and I was wondering where I can find the original...

Image NSFW (http://i14.ebayimg.com/02/i/08/06/c1/59_1_b.JPG)

panzermk2
August 21, 2006, 03:00 PM
NICE PIC but thats got to break someTHR rule. Maybe its time for a anything goes section that has a seperate password so that if you go there you can'tcomplain about being insulted etc.

Stiletto Null
August 21, 2006, 03:03 PM
Was that one of Oleg's pictures? I don't remember seeing it anywhere, and the piercing doesn't look familiar (as in it doesn't look like one from one of his posted models).

For that matter, Oleg's style tends to be "light and airy"; I can't think of a single shot off the top of my head (posters aside) where he did light subject/dark background.

Edit: nm, he was asking Patrick.

10 Ring Tao
August 21, 2006, 03:05 PM
Well then, that worked itself out nicely.

But I gotta ask, how the hell did you come up with the title "SEXY BEER BABE" from the pics of kit?

Stiletto Null
August 21, 2006, 03:07 PM
lawl

Something for a beer mug, maybe?

Oleg Volk
August 21, 2006, 03:16 PM
I think it was a set of keywords common to his earlier magnets which use beer logos. I got a letter outlining cooperation options and a check for the past royalties today.

http://libertyoutlet.com already sells tshirts with my images, I sell prints at my site, volkstudio, magnets seem like the next step.

Stiletto Null
August 21, 2006, 03:24 PM
Sounds like a standup guy.

I might actually buy a few, our fridge doesn't have any magnets. :uhoh:

Thefabulousfink
August 21, 2006, 03:37 PM
I'm glad everything worked out for both parties. Isn't the Internet great? Bringing people together:D

Taurus 66, calm down man. Patrick thought the images that he had purchased weren't copywrited. When he found out he did the right thing, And most importantly, Oleg is happy with the arrangement. There are so many stolen images out there that it can be next to impossible to verifiy the source.

Patrick, unlike the Brady Campaign, INSA, the UN, and various news outlets is willing to respect Oleg's artistic contributions and conpensate him. I see nothing wrong with this.

Welcome to The High Road Patrick.

Stickjockey
August 21, 2006, 03:37 PM
Someone get some cold water for Biker!!!!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0c/Ice_water.jpg/180px-Ice_water.jpg

panzermk2
August 21, 2006, 03:43 PM
How about some nice airplane pictures

But were are the girls in those pics?

If you enjoyed reading about "Oleg Volk, Is someone else stealing your work?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!