Do You Order From Dillon In Arizona?

PDA

1 old 0311
August 17, 2006, 03:02 PM
Ordered a pistol lanyard, to ship to a Nephew in Afganastan, from Dillion Presision in Scottsdale Az. It is advertised at 24.95. When it arived the package is marked U.S. postage, .89 cents. When I looked at the invoice it states " Shipping & Handling $8.99. This is 36% of the cost of the product. Since shipping was actually .89 cents, it looks like they must be paying their 'Handlers' about $150.00 per hour. Consider this before you order from Dillon.:cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

If you enjoyed reading about "Do You Order From Dillon In Arizona?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SLCDave
August 17, 2006, 03:30 PM
Consider packaging, boxes, packing tape, styrofoam peanuts or bubble wrap, address labels, printer ink, and the possibility that they have to drive the packages to the post office/UPS/FedEx hub. Plus, you have to pay someone the man hours to do all that order pulling and packaging too. That stuff isn't free.

$8.99 sounds high, but you can't expect they would only charge you 89 either.

The Guy
August 17, 2006, 03:35 PM
Ah, s&h, the curse of mail order. I think the $8.99 is their minimum s&h charge. Order more and your cost per lb goes down.

WayneConrad
August 17, 2006, 03:39 PM
One of my favorite jokes... I say it enough that my friends are sick of hearing it... is "I don't need it handled. Can you just send it to me without handling it?"

When shopping, add up all the prices, and use the total for comparison shopping. If shipping is free, it's in the cost of the item. If there's no handling fee, it's in the cost of the item. Dillon doesn't hide the handling cost in the item.

I've never ordered from Dillon, but they are right off the freeway between my house and dad's house, so I do drop by now and then. With the price of gas being what it is, it may be cheaper to give them the $8 for handling.

sierrabravo45
August 17, 2006, 03:42 PM
I order from Dillon a lot and they have always been great. I normally order a bunch of stuff at the same time and shipping never seems sky high, but they probably have a minimum.

Customer Service is Top Notch with them, so give them a call.

robertbank
August 17, 2006, 03:43 PM
I have ordered from Dillon in the past and did not find their S&H excessive. I understand they now do charge more. For me the service is worth it and I will continue to order from them but not for small items.

Take Care

Bob

Sistema1927
August 17, 2006, 03:50 PM
For some suppliers, small orders are just as much trouble as large orders, and are far less profitable. For example, MidwayUSA (great outfit!) will charge an additional $4.00 for regular orders under $25 and dealer orders under $40. The trick with mail order to is to buy enough to mitigate the shipping costs.

mpthole
August 17, 2006, 04:28 PM
Dillon's mail order form is quite precise when describing S&H costs. All mail-order/internet companies operate pretty much the same - at least the ones I've dealt with. That won't dissuade me from buying more Dillon products.

That said, some of the items they advertise in the catalog (that are not manufactured by Dillon) are way overpriced. I don't buy those.

denfoote
August 17, 2006, 04:30 PM
I hop in the truck, drive to Scottsdale, and buy directly from their storefront. :neener: :evil:

As for their reloading equipment and supplies, every gunshop and their dog in the state of Arizona carries their stuff!!! :scrutiny: :eek:

Lupinus
August 17, 2006, 04:48 PM
it isn't free to ship stuff, recieving an order, pulling an order, packing the order, etc it al ltakes man hours. Then you also have the materials costs for boxes, packing stuff like peanuts, and gas to get to and from the hub if you need to take it there yourself.

You have some places that don't charge shipping but they normally charge mroe per item, sometimes that works out to less sometimes the same sometimes more.

1 old 0311
August 17, 2006, 04:54 PM
Actually I just called Midway. Depending on the weight it would have cost $5.00-$6.00 to ship. NOT $8.99.

Lupinus
August 17, 2006, 05:00 PM
consider that dillon ships out less then midway does and therefor their supplies are less expensive?

redneck2
August 17, 2006, 07:37 PM
well, seems kinda simple.

If I walk into a restaurant and the menu says a hamburger is $6.95, after I get the bill I don't complain and say that I can get one of $1.29 at McDonald's.....I pay the $6.95 'cause that's what I ordered.

1 old 0311
August 17, 2006, 08:30 PM
Hi Redneck,

It is not the cost of the goods, it is how the bill is padded at the bottom that is the issue.

Tokugawa
August 17, 2006, 08:40 PM
I know how you feel. However, as someone who ships a lot of stuff, a point is reached where there is a minimum cost to handle an order. And remember, you are paying also for the customer who calls and takes an hour of time discussing a $20 order. They get charged $8.99 also. The extra time cost cost has to be amortized somewhere.

wally
August 17, 2006, 09:14 PM
For small stuff the S&H from Dillon is very high, for heavy stuff like 3000 roounds of 230gr .45 FMJ its very cheap compared to most places.

I order based on total price+S&H for heavy stuff like ammo you usually don't get the true shipping cost until you check out, which has often caused me to not complete the sale.

--wally.

Kim
August 17, 2006, 09:40 PM
I ordered some things from Dillon. I called after hours and left my name and phone number. Sure enough just a few minutes after opening time I got a call and I was shocked it was Mr. Dillon himself calling me back.. He could tell I was shocked. I also like that he asks if you want to round your order up to the next dollar and he donates that to the NRA. Good Guy.

Dr.Rob
August 18, 2006, 12:00 AM
You really expected to ship a package to Afghanistan for 89 cents?

Or it arrived at your house for that amount?

Dillon has one of the highest customer service ratings among gunnys. Myself included.

Not trying to be flippant but Dillon is one of the good guys.

August 18, 2006, 12:08 AM
Yes and I am going to continue to do so no matter what he charges for shipping.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do You Order From Dillon In Arizona?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!