Which firearm licenses can/should I obtain

PDA

streetstang67
August 17, 2006, 03:10 PM
I want to be able to get firearms and accessories which require legal permission to obtain. I'd like to get a fully automatic rifle, mabye a silencer, and other items. What do I need to do to obtain these? Which licenses/permits do I need to get?

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Which firearm licenses can/should I obtain" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
orangelo
August 17, 2006, 03:11 PM
Every state has different requirements.

There is 1 constant factor. LOTS OF MONEY. The cheapest new machinegun you can buy these days are MACs and they start at around $2800+

Beren
August 17, 2006, 03:26 PM
http://www.titleii.com/BardwellOLD/nfa_faq.txt

Lupinus
August 17, 2006, 03:47 PM
My plans are-

C&R and then CCW. Beyond that I don't have much use/money for others.

streetstang67
August 17, 2006, 03:53 PM
I'm in south carolina, whats available to me? Or where can I find out more information?

Thanks!

Lupinus
August 17, 2006, 03:59 PM
most everything other then the CCW is going to be federal. C&R lets you get older mostly milsurp guns on mail order and also gets you discounts at many online retailers. CCW is for your concealed carry and even if you don't carry often it is a good idea as you wont need to go through a background check everytime. You still need to fill out the 4473, show your ccw permit, and you are on your way.

For machine guns and silencers you have to apply for a tax stamp that costs 200 dolalrs and takes (if I rememebr right) about six months or some such.

DonP
August 17, 2006, 04:07 PM
If you decide to get into select fire, the cheapest things out there were around $5,000, last time I looked out of curiousity.

A nice WW II Thompson was going for $18,000 and an M-16A1 for about $12,000 to $15,000. That's all on top of the $200 per item and the 6 month plus wait.

I'm assuming that SC is a Class 3 state too.

That's why I always laugh when I hear someone talking about "going to a gun show and just buying a machine gun".

Sistema1927
August 17, 2006, 04:12 PM
I would recommend that you check with a Class 3 dealer in your state. He can educate you as to the requirements for either ownership or obtaining a Class 3 license of your own. Reason for this recommendation is due to the fact that while most of the laws related to this are federal, some state/communities have their own additional restrictions and requirements.

As other shave stated, be prepared to open your wallet wide and plan on waiting.

streetstang67
August 17, 2006, 04:35 PM
Wow, I didn't know that much money was involved for an automatic rifle. Well I guess the main thing I want is a suppressor, because I often shoot on a large plot of land, but one side is bordered by houses. They tend to get aggrivated when I'm out there every other day shooting. What is involved in obtaining just a suppressor?

Lupinus
August 17, 2006, 04:39 PM
same thing, 200 dollar tax stamp per item and about a six month wait. They are cheaper then MG's though but I dont really know exact prices.

Keep in mind to take a surpressor your gun will likly need to be modified and using one will make your gun more dirty

Chipperman
August 17, 2006, 04:58 PM
Suppressors can go for a couple of hundred to over a Grand, depending on several factors. The $200 transfer tax and hoops are the same no matter what.

Find a suppressor you want to buy
Get info from the NFA dealer
Fill out the Form 4.
Get fingerprints and sig from CLEO
Send $200, Form 4, prints, pics to the Alphabet guys
Wait
Wait some more
When Form 4 gets approval, go pick up suppressor

Zundfolge
August 17, 2006, 05:15 PM
I'm in south carolina, whats available to me?

http://www.mp5.net/info/sbsconr.htm

streetstang67
August 17, 2006, 08:30 PM
Since machine guns are so expensive, could I obtain a permit to modify the trigger and neccessary components on a rifle (such as an AK) to make it fully auto?

enfield
August 17, 2006, 08:49 PM
In short - no.

However, shoelaces are inexpensive and the BATF has determined that a shoelace can be a machine gun.

smince
August 17, 2006, 08:56 PM
Since machine guns are so expensive, could I obtain a permit to modify the trigger and neccessary components on a rifle (such as an AK) to make it fully auto?
Not since 1986

This might help:
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/usr/wbardwel/public/nfalist/nfa_faq.txt

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/law.html

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b7

Trebor
August 17, 2006, 09:15 PM

No. That's a big time felony. The prison term and legal defense costs would make the full retail price of a legal machinegun cheap by comparision.

Buy a copy of "The Machine Gun Dealers Bible" by Dan Shea. That will answer (almost) all your questions about the legal ownership of machine guns and surpressors. Don't let the title fool you, it's a good resource for anyone interested in owning a machine gun, not just for dealers.

Chipperman
August 18, 2006, 12:45 PM
Why would anyone drop $10,000 on a machine gun if there were a legal cheaper way?

If you enjoyed reading about "Which firearm licenses can/should I obtain" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!