Why is buckshot so hard on steel?

PDA

Andrew Wyatt
May 7, 2003, 06:52 PM
In my travels as a range officer at the sof/Wc3gun/Swat3gun match, one of the things that mystifies me is the effect buckshot has on steel targets, even armor.

an armor VZ can stand up to 20 years worth of rifle hits, but it's visibly deteriorated after one match, usually taking a set in either a concave or convex shape, and having visible pockmarks from the individual pellets.

Why do targets that can take honest to god real rifle fire not stand up to buckshot for any length of time?

If you enjoyed reading about "Why is buckshot so hard on steel?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JeFF D
May 7, 2003, 07:06 PM
Never heard or seen that before but if its true that is very strange indeed.

How could a backstop hold up better to a heavier jacketed projectile moving 3x as fast, compared to a slow moving round lead ball. I'm very curious as well.

telewinz
May 7, 2003, 08:11 PM
I have never seen anyhing like you describe but if it did occur I would suggest its the more even distribution of the impact with the shotgun pellets. I have always noticed more damage from rifle bullets and even pistol bullets than any NORMAL lead shotgun load. Are you sure they are just using standard loads and not some special "knock down doors" load with steel pellets?

jsalcedo
May 7, 2003, 08:17 PM
I was shooting some 1/4 inch plate steel an I noticed 00 buck
would visibly dent the steel and magnum rifled slugs would
pass through it like melted butter.

Andrew Wyatt
May 7, 2003, 09:42 PM
all of the shotgun/rifle targets that they use at the SWAT world championship 3 gun match are 3/8ths inch Armorguard or ar500 plate steel.

the most common buckshot load among the 240 shooters is federal tactical buckshot in 00 shot size.

for slugs, we use 1/2 inch armorguard.

SRYnidan
May 7, 2003, 11:42 PM
It's the bigger hammer issue. Yes each rifle bullet weighs more individualy but the shot charge weighs more together. Rifled slug are generally not used with steel targets for safety reasons (and rightly so) but if you ever see a target after someone at SOF shoots one by accident you will immediately see the problem (friend of mine ran the shotgun stage at the SOF three gun for years and the steel was his own used to threaten the hell out of the shooters if they shot the steel with a slug).

dude
May 8, 2003, 03:10 AM
because F=MA (always)

Ol' Badger
May 8, 2003, 09:44 AM
Buckshot is also hard on cats! Where as the rifle round just goes clean thru. :evil:

Smoke
May 8, 2003, 10:38 AM
I think I like Ol' Badger.

:cool:

Andrew Wyatt
May 8, 2003, 04:13 PM
I understand that F=MA, but with regards to the actual pocking of the plates, only sectional density and velocity count.

roundballs have a very low sectional density, and their velocity isn't very high.

what is the ME of a low recoil 12 gauge load?

how does it compare to a .308?

If you enjoyed reading about "Why is buckshot so hard on steel?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!