Criticized again for liking guns

PDA

BIGDADDYLONGSTROKE
August 18, 2006, 04:44 AM
Tired of being one of the few gun guys in the family, I just got critized yet again my the inlaws and my wife this time for talking about guns. I was asked a question and a gave a detailed answere, and now critized for talking about them to much. Does this ever happen to any body else and if so how do you deal with it. Do you just ignore them when they ask a question, keep you hobby to yourself and the fine people here at THR. What do you do because honeslty I am getting tired of not being able to talk about my hobby because it involves guns, but its ok to talk about baseball and football and every other sport. I may just be ranting here, so sorry. My inlaws even come from Texas and dont like talkng about guns:what: . Any how anybody else have this problem.

If you enjoyed reading about "Criticized again for liking guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Valkman
August 18, 2006, 05:26 AM
I did hear that from the wife a lot - "Can't you talk about anything but guns?" and "No" I would say. :) But I was cured by getting into knives and talking about them for a year. Now it's a mix. :D

EvisceratorSrB
August 18, 2006, 06:01 AM
I dunno why our hobby is viewed differently by others. Like you said it's a hobby. And, yes, I do get the same s*** from other people! :cuss: It's really annoying. To me, firearms in general have challenged my intelligence! (Ok that sounds weird lol but theres a LOT of physics involved with firearms) It's only when you get irresponsible people behind firearms, then the sport is bad. And unfortunately, there will always be irresponsible people wielding dangerous firearms. :barf:

Metapotent
August 18, 2006, 06:04 AM
Misinformed people usually have the idea that someone who is interested in guns is weird or psycho.

I eat, sleep, and think guns all day long. When i'm not shooting, or hunting I am wishing I was or am about to so I have much experience with "non gun people"

I have family members who are pro-gun laws and who are very liberal and when they ask "what did you do this weekend" and I answer "well I set up a bunch of different objects out in the woods to shoot at with my friends and we shot this water jug and it totally exploded, it was SWEET"- they usually make a face as if I just told them I murdered a hundred kittens.

There is a sense of stigma involved with firearms enthusiasts in the minds of the misinformed. People have preconceptions that are engrained in their heads by society that gun people and guns themselves are 'evil' and therefore they always have this semiconscious fear of it.

It takes time to get used to but you just can't change people's minds.

sterling180
August 18, 2006, 07:06 AM
My father,likes to participate in fishing as a sport and is a very keen enthusiast-indeed.My mother puts up with it,by dismissing it as "a normal,but boring sport".My father likes Browning fishing rods and various other makes.

However,I like Browning firearms and I get funny looks by my mother and she thinks that I might be the next Hungerford murderer-despite telling her that I act responsibly with my guns.All this rubbish of:"people don't need guns".:banghead: :banghead: :(

My interest in firearms has caused conflict,with my other half,whom I had to battle with-in order to get a cabinet installed at home.:fire: :cuss:

The sad thing is that in my parents home,guns were and still are not allowed-at all,so I accepted this,but to my horror,In my own home,I have to battle-each time,if I want to buy a new firearm-despite trying to convert my partner,to becoming pro-gun or tolerant of firearms.

Soon I might have to store my weapons in a club,if this continues.:fire: :banghead: :banghead:

ccw007
August 18, 2006, 07:37 AM
I only have one in-law that is/was somewhat antigun. I think he has figured out I am not going to change and I could careless about what he thinks. Anyhow, I would invite him to the range and tell them how much fun it is to shoot when the question would come up.

Vitamin G
August 18, 2006, 07:49 AM
"Me owning guns makes me a serial killer as much as you owning a car makes you Dale Earnhart Jr. You're a horrible driver"

No conversations about guns since then.

Deanimator
August 18, 2006, 08:37 AM
My mother used to give me a lot of crap about it... so I refused to see her for 13 years!

Sometimes you just have to make a point... :)

Dr. Dickie
August 18, 2006, 08:58 AM
I am lucky as hell. My father in-law likes to talk about guns with me :D (he is in late 70's was "over there" late in WWII--did not see action). My wife would likely have me talk about guns than chemistry (although she would prefer neither). I have a guy at work that is even a bigger gun nut than me (although we are the only two). Best of all, I just this past weekend met our new neighbor who moved in to a new house across the street. As he was moving in, I was cleaning the cosmoline off a CMP Springfield 03 at the end of my garage. He walked over and asked,"Is that a Garand stock you're cleaning." No, I said, Springfield, but I got a couple of Garands, you wanna see 'em:D .
Turns out he got out of the armed forces a year or so ago, and is a gun nut like me (although he mostly shoots shotguns because he did not know about the gun range I belong to). Has a nice clean Lugar his dad brough back from WWII and a cherry Arisaka (with chrysanthemum) he picked up an estate sale.
He has yet to move his collection over to the new house.
And finally, just a block from my house, is a nice guy who runs a dog grooming place and sells guns part time (he has an FFL--Dog House Discount Guns!:p ). He is a HUGE gun nut, very knowledgeable, and a great guy to boot.
Biggest problem I have, is getting time to get to the range:banghead:

birddog
August 18, 2006, 09:04 AM
I have a sister who is what you'd consider pretty liberal. She doesn't want to hear about George Bush, or hunting of any sort. Surprisingly, when I brought up CCW not too long ago, she perked up and we had a good conversation about it. Doesn't hurt that she was followed around a large city by a creep in a car one night....

I think "Oh I hate guns" is just the mantra for the new age. It's like breathing for some people. Not a moment's thought, just a natural reflex.

I'm probably one of the top two conservatives in my family, and have gone through several stages when it comes to talking about things I enjoy, like guns and hunting...I don't throw it in anyone's face, but I don't hide them either. I just try to be me. Works every damned time.

Kentak
August 18, 2006, 09:10 AM
Accept the fact that not everyone shares your fascination with guns and don't belabor it. Have you never been annoyed by someone going on and on about their hobby and/or special interest? At some point, you'll just come off as being obsessed and a self-absorbed boor.

K

Kentak
August 18, 2006, 09:18 AM
In other words, if someone asks a question that involves your interest in guns, answer it as best you can and in a positive manner. If they want to continue the discussion, fine, if not, let it drop and move on to something of a mutual interest. How would you feel about being trapped in a conversation with cousin Bubba who goes on and on about his beer can collection?

K

LiquidTension
August 18, 2006, 09:20 AM
Critized again for liking guns

Welcome to the club. I try not to bring it up, but if asked I'll go on at length. Of course, sometimes you just can't resist making a comment..."umm, you can't fire when the slide is locked back."

Euclidean
August 18, 2006, 09:22 AM
No one I know likes to talk about guns. That's why The High Road exists...

Jamie C.
August 18, 2006, 09:37 AM
This should pretty much put a stop to having to deal with your in-laws' stupidity, one way or the other:

"I can either talk about guns, or I can talk about what an ignorant, a$$-backwards bunch of inbred f***-ups y'all are. Which would you prefer?"

This is sort of my "general purpose" response to anyone trying to give me grief over firearms. ( It works best if you say it with your best "poker face". No emotion, no grinning, just plain dead serious. )
And so far, it's worked every time. ;)

J.C.

antsi
August 18, 2006, 09:50 AM
----------quote-----------
Misinformed people usually have the idea that someone who is interested in guns is weird or psycho.
--------------------------

I have seen antis use this as a defense.

They say something factually incorrect about guns to advocate gun control.
We tell them they are wrong as to fact, and explain why they're wrong in an obviously well-informed way.
They retreat to their secondary position, that anyone who is so well-informed obviously has a perverted fascination with guns.

Barbara
August 18, 2006, 10:14 AM
Heh, try being a woman on top of it.

dracphelan
August 18, 2006, 10:19 AM
My response is "I'll stop talking about guns when you stop talking about knitting." My wife and most of our friends are into knitting.

#shooter
August 18, 2006, 10:20 AM
It’s a mixed bag for me. I have family that is ok with guns for hunting, i.e. shotguns, but rifles are no-no’s. When I get my rifles out I get the,
“Can you take deer with that here?”
“No.”
“Then why do you have one.”
“I don’t have one, I have four.”
“Oh….”

When I got my CCW I had a similar conversation. My wife is cool about it, but she told family members I got it so I could transport firearms to the range. That lasted a few months until they visited and saw my IWB holster on my desk. LOL They looked at it funny, realized what it was and walked away.

My best experience is that my wife’s grandfather is a WW2 vet (who was seriously injured) and her family was real sensitive about discussing anything war related around him. No TV, movies, news, current events etc. Out of respect I went along with it. One day I mentioned the state war memorial museum and her grandfather wanted to go. Of course the family was nervous and a little peeved I brought it up.

When we went with him to the museum, it was the best museum experience I ever had. Once we got to the WW2 displays her grandpa did fine and actually was very informative. He would see the items in a display and actually give commentary about his experience with them. The most solemn commentary was when he pointed to a MP40 and said he and a buddy were surprised by a German that fired at them and missed at point blank range. He and his buddy did not miss. He commented about out all the weapons he used and being under fire of the German weapons. Then he talked about how he took shrapnel from a German grenade, which is what almost killed him. He was passed up during triage as a “goner” and yet made it. To this day his wife can not watch MASH. I watched my wife’s family for reactions to what he said and it was obvious they haven’t heard these stories before. It was truly incredible to get a first hand account. I have the utmost respect for that man.

Afterwards we when back to the house and my wife suggested I show her grandfather my arsenal. And he agreed. We spent the rest of the evening discussing various firearms. Of all things he liked the in-line muzzleloader the best and wanted to try it. Unfortunately, they were leaving the next day. Maybe next time.

S.P.E.C.T.R.E.
August 18, 2006, 10:34 AM
Think about when you hear about guns in the news. Always negative. Somebody shot up a school, or their office, or sniped people on the freeway. Maybe someone killed their entire family before getting in a standoff with police. This is what runs on the news.

What doesn't make the news is a rape prevented by a citizen with a concealed pistol. Or a pit bull killed with a truck gun before it was able to rip a 5 year old to shreds. Or any of these (http://www.claytoncramer.com/gundefenseblog/blogger.html) stories.

I have no illusions as to where irrational fear of guns comes from. None at all. This is what we're working against when we try to change people's opinion.

cbsbyte
August 18, 2006, 10:47 AM
Talking about firearms and shooting are a no no in my family gatherings, unless I want to be rediculed as a gun nut and lectured about guns and crime by the so called experts.

Harley Quinn
August 18, 2006, 11:01 AM
To be consumed by guns is not good. You should be able to talk about other things and converse on the topic others want to talk about.

Then you are not a gun nut, just a person who enjoys them and good conversation about other topics.

To stay away from your mother for 13 years over an inability to converse is really sad. If other reasons I can see the point, but not over your enjoyment of a topic. Takes two to make a conversation. Communication is the key.

HQ:)

robert sherman
August 18, 2006, 11:21 AM
Just my opinion. Hospitality dictates that I not initiate discussions that guests in my home would find disquieting unless that discussion is the reason for the visit--such as a meeting of an organization or an intervention in the case of an alcoholic. If the guest brings it up, especially, if he is insulting, intolerant or stupid about it then I don't hold back very much.

:banghead: I'm going to have to remember the fifth commandment more since most of the arguments are with my parents.

Jayman
August 18, 2006, 11:23 AM
Take up full contact fighting, and then when they ask, "why in the world would you do that?" Tell them you needed something else to talk about besides guns. :neener:

Owen
August 18, 2006, 11:25 AM
I've recently taken up fencing and have discovered that people that can't stand guns don't really seem to have an issue with conversations about stabbing people with swords.

I'd recommend that you figure out what interests you about guns, and expand you interest sideways into something less controversial, so you have something to talk about.

There are tons of departure points, guns and hunting is an extremely broad topic.

History
law
Physics
engineering
manufacturing
conservation
ecology ( <- tends to be popular with the ladies )

Go expand your horizons!

redneckdan
August 18, 2006, 11:38 AM
I come from a reletively pro-gun family, raised around firearms. I got my CPL back in may and my parents both still really don't want me to have it, though I'm not sure why. My dad always asks me if I'm carrying and when I said yes he would try to convince me I didn't need it at the time. Eventually I just started saying "you know the answer to that question" and left it at that.

I'm a college student at michigan tech. I was involved with IVCF for a time until some of the other attendies got into the habit of asking me about shooting sports and then tryin to argue with me about the "biblical stance against firearm ownership". It eventually came down to me flyin them the smith crick salute and ending my envolvement with pretty much all organized religion.

stevelyn
August 18, 2006, 11:44 AM
I've told mine to whizz up a rope and stopped associating with them. Life's too short to put up with stupid people.

BobCat
August 18, 2006, 12:06 PM
Owen said,
"I'd recommend that you figure out what interests you about guns, and expand you interest sideways into something controversial, so you have something to talk about."

You make an excellent point. My screensaver at work is the STI animation of a 1911 cycling (you can download it at stiguns.com).

A few days ago, my boss and the General Manager of the plant came in, to talk about moving some lab equipment. The GM was fascinated by the 1911 animation. I got a little nervous he would come up with some comment about how it was unhealthy to like guns. So I pre-empted the conversation; I said, "Designed a hundred years ago, in 1906; adopted by the US Military in 1911, only replaced in 1985, but still going strong in competition and the self-defense market. The patents have long expired, so you can buy a new one from many, many companies around the world. Just like the DC-3 - some designs are timeless!" and started talking about the Douglas DC-3 (aka C-47) and how many were still flying, and in what roles.

This took the discussion from guns to engineering milestones. Putting guns in the same category as any other tecnological achievement goes a long way towards un-demonizing them. And someone who admires landmark designs / superb machines becomes seen as a dedicated engineer, not a despicable gun nut.

benEzra
August 18, 2006, 12:10 PM
This topic came up over on Common Ground Common Sense a while back, and this was my reply (quoted sections are from the guy I was replying to):

Yes, an excellent post. However, it does not answer my question why people need to own guns - male or female - black - white - red - brown.

Why? I understand the Democrats have alienated them and perhaps this alienaiton is responsible for some of their election losses - at least many more than I had previously thought.

However, I want to understand the psyche behind gun ownership.

Why is it such a priority?

What is is about the supposed right to bear arms that drives gun owners to focus on this issue so much - oftentimes to their detriment in so many other areas?

We mostly focus on it because the gun prohibitionist lobby makes us focus on it if we want to keep it...guns certainly aren't the center of my life, but I do spend more time advocating that political issue than any other...I'd just as soon not have to.

Have there been any psychological studies done or books written on gun ownership - and why people take to it?

Here's a fairly recent one: Shooters: Myths and Realities of America's Gun Cultures (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0195150511/104-1131320-8331947?v=glance).

Is it a frontier thing or a victim thing or a power thing or a fear thing or an inferiority thing or a history thing or all of the above?

Why do you own guns - something more than because I can...

I can't believe its unknowable.

To me, it's a competence thing.

Here's some random thoughts, in no particular order.

Proficiency with firearms is a martial art just like Isshinryu Karate or Tae Kwan Do or Kenpo or Tai Chi, and can gives a sense of accomplishment and competence just like any other human discipline. The Japanese concept of bushido applies just as much to the gun culture as to other martial arts cultures. FWIW, I have some moderate experience in the Asian martial arts culture (I was a student of Isshinryu for a year), and there are a lot of similarities between the gun culture and the traditional martial arts culture, and just as with empty-hand martial arts, proficiency in self-defense is a symbiotic benefit that is a worthwhile purpose in its own right. You may find this article interesting:

Guns and Martial Arts (http://www.a-human-right.com/RKBA/martial.html) (from www.a-human-right.com)

Just as with the other martial arts, a lot of gun enthusiasts view training and skill development as an end in itself. A Zen thing, if you will. (BTW, to shoot well you must view shooting in a very Zen-like way; breath control, minimization of muscle tremors, concentration, sharp focus on the front sight, smoothness...) A lot of the shooters I know also have a thing for archery, which is pretty much the same thing. And my wife is into SCA fencing...

Some people pride themself on how well they can smack a small white ball with a stick on a golf course. Others pride themselves on how accurately they can shoot a firearm.

Also, I am a certifiable physics geek (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=108395), and there are very few inexpensive hobbies that are more physics-intensive than rifle shooting. (Aviation is more physics-intensive, but it's not inexpensive...) Many shooters are mechanically inclined, and I'll bet the percentage of photographers among shooters is higher than in the population at large. My younger sister is a shooter and she also happens to be a professional engineer (she double-majored in Engineering and Mathematics at NC State).

Gun owners also tend to lean individualist rather than collectivist, and have a high view of individual rights. If you hang around the High Road much, you'll find nearly as much disdain for free-speech restrictions and 4th-amendment violations as for the latest gun-grab attempt, and you'll find a lot of sympathy with the ACLU except for their dyslexic view of the Second Amendment (in our opinion, though I know you would probably disagree). Note that individualist does NOT mean conservative; Big Brother communitarian conservatives are as antithetical to the individualist/libertarian mindset as any Big Brother communitarian liberals...

So I suppose it's also a freedom thing. The guns in my gun safe are a tangible reminder that my wife and I are free people. We don't own those at the dispensation of some elite individual; we can own them because we are free people. That's probably a cultural thing and I wouldn't expect you to feel the same way, but the freedom issue runs very, very deeply with most gun enthusiasts.

323D3F3C!7$
August 18, 2006, 12:22 PM
I had this same problem when I was playing paintball alot, not quite so prevalent from the fam, but I definately got some questions about it. It's pretty obvious wehn you look at modern paintball commercialization(sp?), when they say "paintball marker" instead of "paintball gun".

I always said "gun" just because, I couldn't give a crap if someone didn't like what I called it. That and, I was proud to own "guns" of any kind. My parents wouldn't buy me any real guns so I had to wait till I was 18, but I had pellet guns, nerf guns, paintball guns, and have been collecting knives since before I can remember.

I think some people just don't understand guns themselves, or the reason someone would want to own a gun. I don't understand the motive behind amatuer bull riding, but that doesn't make it wrong.

Also I think benEzra is right, kind of. To me, knowing that god forbid should anybody in my house be threatened for whatever reason, I like knowing that I would stand a decent chance of defending them as long as I keep my head straight. I carry a knife to work (I work late nights downtown), for similar reasons, and I would ccw but I'm 18 so that's out. I am thinking about getting into martial arts again for the reasons mentioned above, and I'm also trying get back in shape. Might as well try and kill 2 birds with one stone. Another reason is, I would rather have a viable non-lethal (empty hand) and less lethal (knife skill) way to defend myself, because when you point a gun at someone, you send the message that you have the will to kill them right then, right there no negotiation after, which I would not be comfortable doing in all situations. Like if the guy had a baseball bat, I wouldn't feel comfortable drawing a gun, but a knife would be more than reasonable for the situation.

Well good luck to ya man, I think we all go through it at one point or another. The only person who is used to me having a gun at this point is my dad.

The_Future
August 18, 2006, 12:39 PM
No one has ever come out and critized me for liking guns though i have had some interesting conversations with my U.S Government teacher on the issue of CCW, and have gotten some strange looks from girls when I'm drooling over one of my Gun magizines

Baba Louie
August 18, 2006, 01:18 PM
I always fall back on the routine answer, "I'm a responsible person and I'm the only one responsible for my safety. The police aren't, so rule the courts, nor can they be everywhere at once. So first, I look out for me and mine. Second, guns are a part of our history, good and bad. Some of each. Mine are only good ones. ;) Third. They're a lot of fun. Challenging."

If pressed I could go on and on, (aesthetics, physics, mechanics) but why bother with someone you have to explain any or all of the above to? If they can't grasp simple thoughts and/or if they are scared of reality, they'll never understand the neanderthal that I am. :D

I've said it before, I'll say it again, "For some, no explanation is required. For others, no explanation will do."

Life's like that sometimes.

CannonFodder
August 18, 2006, 02:08 PM
Criticized? Never (except when I start drooling at the sporting good store. The employees really get peeved when they have to clean up after me) :p

My GF, though, doesn't have a particularly warm reaction to firearms, though she says "I would never have pegged you for a gun owner."

Eh, I think I'll be able to educate her eventually.

Deanimator
August 18, 2006, 02:52 PM
You make an excellent point. My screensaver at work is the STI animation of a 1911 cycling (you can download it at stiguns.com).

I have a 4" S&W Model 29-2 as the wallpaper on my office PC. It's a near duplicate of the one I have being worked on at S&W right now. I've had various other firearms pictures as my wallpaper.

Maybe next week I'll get the boss to the gunshow to get the Browning High Power he's been threatening to buy... :)

Harley Quinn
August 18, 2006, 02:55 PM
I am also into MA. I feel you covered it pretty good. Not only the Japanese mentality, but the Fillipinos. Weapons! They love um.

HQ:)

Rich K
August 18, 2006, 03:06 PM
I get criticized and laughed at by some of the people I work with when reading a gun rag . But these same people when they have a question re guns, are the first ones to approach me and start questioning me. I usually answer and give them an explanation the first time or two, but after that I tell them to look for the answers they want themselves. I am not their keeper,and get tired of haveing to tolerate their ignorance when it comes to guns and shooting. Just my .02.

History Prof
August 18, 2006, 03:38 PM
biblical stance against firearm ownership

???? I'm an Evangelical Christian. I've NEVER heard of this! But hey, even slave owners tried to biblically "justify" depriving people of their rights.

Find an Evangelical Church. I don't believe in organized religion either, but I love Jesus and I fellowship with other believers. There are a lot of left wing organizations that claim to be churches out there. Maybe you found one of them.

WWJS - What would Jesus shoot?

Superpsy
August 18, 2006, 05:35 PM
Welcome to the club. I try not to bring it up, but if asked I'll go on at length. Of course, sometimes you just can't resist making a comment...

exactly...

Lupinus
August 18, 2006, 05:42 PM
Yep but luckily none have been to bad

what I find equally annoying are the people who try and one up you with their love of firearms or how special they are

Last place I worked the kid swore to me he was having a AK sent to his house, from russia, that could fire a thousand rounds a minute....keep in mind this is a 19 year old kid who drives a 20 year old car and pulls in maybe 200 a week....in a good week.

TallPine
August 18, 2006, 08:17 PM
Hospitality dictates that I not initiate discussions that guests in my home would find disquieting
Guests in my home (or on my land) might possibly notice that I carry a revolver on my hip without me even initiating any discussion. ;)

If they find that disquieting, then they can run screaming off my property for all I care :p

BTW, I do have other hobbies ... y'all wanna hear about my horse...? :D

greenflash107
August 18, 2006, 08:59 PM
I guess I am lucky. Just about everone I know owns guns. Not everyone carries all of the time, but the ones that do not carry, don't care if I do. also, most people at work are just as big into guns as I am.

akodo
August 18, 2006, 09:19 PM
my family is pro gun to the extent that it isn't anti gun, however, I am the only one who really gets into them. So while I would never be scorned for them (well, I supposed if I blew tons of money thats should have gone elseware on them, that would cause an issue, but spending tons of money on any hobby, like motorcycles, fine wine, or whatever woud be the same)

so if I do get asked a gun question, I ask 'do you want the long answer, or the short one?'

Hawkmoon
August 18, 2006, 11:25 PM
I don't talk about guns with people who don't want to talk about guns.

If someone asks me a question and then takes issue with my answer, the standard response is, "You asked. If you don't want my answer, don't ask me the question."

Hawkmoon
August 18, 2006, 11:32 PM
I was involved with IVCF for a time until some of the other attendies got into the habit of asking me about shooting sports and then tryin to argue with me about the "biblical stance against firearm ownership".
As a Protestant minister myself, I would be very interested in learning more about this "biblical stance against firearm ownership." I suspect it's a bit of a fabrication, since the Bible was written several hundred years before the invention of gunpowder and more than a thousand years before the invention of firearms.

But, as the saying goes, "The devil will quote Scripture to his purpose."

BergaminoCAV
August 18, 2006, 11:59 PM
Ive had people come in the store and yell at the other manager and I for selling "things that kill people", I ushaly give them my opinion and tell them guns dont kill people, people kill people, then we kick them out of the store.

History Prof
August 19, 2006, 01:20 AM
Ive had people come in the store and yell at the other manager and I for selling "things that kill people", I ushaly give them my opinion and tell them guns dont kill people, people kill people, then we kick them out of the store.

Guns don't kill people, I DO.
-Shirt worn by actor Richard Kiel in Happy Gilmore.

http://i.imdb.com/Photos/HH/0001423/RichardKiel2.jpg

gunsmith
August 19, 2006, 03:02 AM
on our first date that I was a gun nut, I drove her and everybody in earshot
insane during the last two elections (I was in SF).

She broke up with me and I moved to an extremely gun friendly enviroment.

Sometimes I miss the stale urine smell of SF...oh ok...I'm lying!:D

She said "all I talk about are guns, every decision I make is based upon my gun rights" I told her I was a gun nut! what did she expect?

P-35/53
August 19, 2006, 03:48 AM
I'm sorry but life is too short to be around anybody who hates something I Love. If my hobby was golf or Nascar or Bridge and eveytime I talked of it somebody would belittle me - time to get around people who accepts you for who you are. I have one brother that hates guns and the NRA yet he owns guns himself. We do not speak anymore.

TimboKhan
August 19, 2006, 04:51 AM
well, I am 34 and in college. I have mentioned that I am a shooter in several classes, and I have been challenged about it on rare occasion. Its a pain, but I actually am more annoyed by the classmates that come up to me and want to talk guns as if I am some trained CIA operative. I mean, thier hearts are sort of in the right places, and they are just interested, but the total lack of reality in terms of how they view what guns and being a shooter is just frustrating.

Hospitality dictates that I not initiate discussions that guests in my home would find disquieting

I agree with you to the extent that I believe that courtesy also dictates that a guest in my home be respectful when they disagree with me. Guests in my home are treated like family and encouraged to make themselves as comfortable in my home as they would be in their own. If they happen to disagree with me or find a topic disquieting, I want them to feel comfortable enough to say "I would rather not discuss that" or "Hey, I think we will probably disagree with each other" or something along those lines. Hell, I don't even mind a lively discussion/debate! I am open-minded and receptive to views different than my own. I do, however, draw the line at direct and personal criticism. I think there is a big difference between disagreeing with someone and criticizing them. In any event, if you were a guest in my house, I would find it intensely disrespectful if you were to just come out and criticize me on something that I value highly, like guns.

pax
August 19, 2006, 11:24 AM
A few years back, I got trapped at a large, weekend-long family gathering that I would rather have avoided. But it was my husband's favorite cousin's wedding weekend, so we went. And my dear, darling husband, when asked what we had been up to lately, replied, "Well, Kathy shoots a lot and has been writing about firearms ..."

Thanks, honey. :uhoh:

As soon as my husband said that, three things happened:

1) All of the other females in the room gave me a horrified look, and gathered themselves into a knot in the kitchen to gossip about me. (Yes, I'm entirely serious -- I got a blow-by-blow later from my niece who was too young to know what a wonderful little snitch she was being!)

2) The young men (whose girlfriends gave me the horrified looks) gave their girlfriends worried/sympathetic looks and drifted over to watch the football game in the other room. A few of them gave me a friendly eyeball on the way out, but they bolted anyway. Probably concerned about getting some that night? :D

3) All of the old men, most of whom were slightly drunken, gathered around me and started bragging about their guns, their women, their politics, and their shooting abilities. "Just be damn sure you drag the body back inside ..." "Hit him in the little finger and he'll still spin around and drop right there ..." "All you gotta do is rack it and he'll crap his pants ..." "The little woman, now, she ..."

Thanks, honey. :uhoh:

pax

BergaminoCAV
August 19, 2006, 12:44 PM
My girlfriend never liked guns untill I took her to my uncles property and she got to try out the Beretta 92FS, and the Armalite M15A2. She still doesnt like shooting shotguns.......yet

whm1974
August 19, 2006, 04:23 PM
I was involved with IVCF for a time until some of the other attendies got into the habit of asking me about shooting sports and then tryin to argue with me about the "biblical stance against firearm ownership"

I remember reading something about Jesus telling his followers to buy a sword, if they didn't have the money then sell thier cloak and buy a sword.

And didn't Jesus chase the money changers out of the temple?

Nowhere have I read in the Bible that says you can't own weapons or defend yourself.

-Bill

Superpsy
August 19, 2006, 05:37 PM
As a Protestant minister myself, I would be very interested in learning more about this "biblical stance against firearm ownership." I suspect it's a bit of a fabrication, since the Bible was written several hundred years before the invention of gunpowder and more than a thousand years before the invention of firearms.

+1 Hawkmoon

I would be interested to more of this stance. My wife grew up as a Mennonite and heck we even go to a Mennonite church now. I'm pretty sure everyone there knows I'm not a pacifist. :D

Deanimator
August 19, 2006, 06:11 PM
'60s British playwrite Joe Orton was beaten to death with a claw hammer by his boyfriend (See the movie, "Prick Up Your Ears") I wonder if these imbeciles harangue the people in the tool corral at Home Depot?

m1thunder
August 19, 2006, 09:45 PM
I definatly get razed for my gun talk, my true friends know of my passion and accept it. Ignorate people take offense.

Glock_10mm
August 20, 2006, 10:52 AM
My wife hates my obesssion with guns, but when things get scary (ie when we had no services for 10 days during the hurricanes last year, and she had seen the shootings and stuff in New Orleans), she's glad I'm obsessed. I try to mix it up between cars, guns, knives, and new technology/computers, that way she never feels too barraged. As for others who criticize, most of my friends are native Floridians and have guns so no I dont see much criticism. They do get on me about my 10mm obsession though...I think their just jealous. :D

Welcome M1THUNDER!

If you enjoyed reading about "Criticized again for liking guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!