Do Cops Watch "COPS"?

PDA

CTD99
August 18, 2006, 08:08 AM
Most attorneys I know don't watch lawer TV shows. They say it is not real, just Hollywood, ect.

Do you guys who are in law enforcement watch COPS? Since it is the real deal I would assume most do?

Comments on COPS?

If you enjoyed reading about "Do Cops Watch "COPS"?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
LiquidTension
August 18, 2006, 08:14 AM
I started watching COPS way before I got into LE. I think of the show as part comedy, part training video.

Ben Shepherd
August 18, 2006, 09:16 AM
I am not a LEO, however my brother and father-in-law are. They both watch cops fairly often.

S.P.E.C.T.R.E.
August 18, 2006, 09:39 AM
As a cake eating civilian, I didn't vote, but I would think that for cop, watching COPS would be a good way to see methods and tactics that work and those that don't. Also it's entertaining.

News Shooter
August 18, 2006, 09:41 AM
But I confess to having watched it for many years.
Sometimes I turn it off because it gets really depressing to see how many low-life creatures are out there

#shooter
August 18, 2006, 09:46 AM
I'm not a LEO, but I have a old friend that is and he watches it alot. To his wifes dismay, she doesn't want to know who ro what he encounters. he sees it as a trainning video of what to do better and what not to do.

MarkDido
August 18, 2006, 09:50 AM
As a former LEO / Paramedic / Sailor I don't watch:

COPS and all the knockoffs
Most Amazing Police Chases
Rescue 911 or their ilk
JAG / Pensacola Wings of Gold
NCIS

My wife forbids me from watching them because I usually have a pithy statement or 12 to make during the program

I do watch Rescue Me, only because I like Dennis Leary. The vehicle is NYFD but it's not about firefighting, it's more of a prime-time soap.

FilJos
August 18, 2006, 09:53 AM
Yes. Cops like COPS. It seems to always be on in the lunch room.

Aggie's Revenge
August 18, 2006, 10:30 AM
Its good for a laugh and a demonstration of poor tactics.

sacp81170a
August 18, 2006, 12:57 PM
I watch COPS when nothin' else good is on. I mostly watch the History Channel, Discovery (especially MythBusters), and OLN. Other than that, it's the Weather Channel or the few minutes of news that I can stand to watch. Most times I'd rather be doing something else than watching TV.

DCR
August 18, 2006, 01:10 PM
Used to watch it when I was a prosecutor and predict which arrests would be solid or which would get tossed.:D

Then I realized I was just bringing my job home, and stopped watching. I'd suspect the same happens for LEO's after a while.

However, I just couldn't give up the the crime shows on Discovery and A&E, or the murder mystery books and movies. Can't explain it; they just didn't disturb me.

FLCLIFF
August 18, 2006, 01:38 PM
I know I am dating myself but I watched Barney Miller while I was working. I did not watch other cop shows and do not watch any now that I am retired. Movies are another story. Not sure why but I find them more interesting.

Aggie's Revenge
August 18, 2006, 02:16 PM
I caught some Barney Miller re-runs on Nick at Night here not too long ago. I recall watching the show as a kid but of course never fully understanding it.

After working in LE for close to a decade I have to say that show was one of the best out there just for the character interaction.

History Prof
August 18, 2006, 03:11 PM
My sister-in-law is a Det. Sgt. She doesn't watch at home, but her department uses old episodes of COPS for training - on what NOT to do.

Clipper
August 18, 2006, 03:27 PM
...And I will not watch COPS because I become infuriated at the abuses of peoples rights I see on that show. I'll bet there have been more than a couple of lawsuits successfully brought using show footage against some of those departments...

wingnutx
August 18, 2006, 10:13 PM
guy I know that spent a few years in prison said that they watched COPS religiously.

Soybomb
August 18, 2006, 10:21 PM
I'm not a leo and I don't watch often but I have noticed that the older the episode the more likely the officers are to have their fingers on the trigger. :eek: If you see revolvers its like 50/50 if theres fingers on the triggers.

BergaminoCAV
August 18, 2006, 10:40 PM
My best friend is a cop and he watchs cops alot

Lupinus
August 18, 2006, 11:00 PM
not leo but I dont watch cops, never liked it much

Jeff White
August 19, 2006, 05:06 AM
When it first came out we used to gather in the break room at the PD and watch it on Saturday nights. It was interesting seeing that the job was pretty much the same all over......I'f there is nothing else on, I might watch it now. Unfortuantely my usual reaction is; "I can't believe they are doing that on camera."

I see a lot of officers playing to the camera and not much good police work....

Jeff

stevelyn
August 19, 2006, 11:14 AM
I used to watch it off and on if there wasn't anything else interesting to watch or do.

I have too many years on now of dealing with idiots and lowlifes to sit and watch idiots and lowlifes in someone else's jurisdiction for "entertainment" purposes.

I prefer to go out halibut fishing or whacking whatever is in season or annoying me.

ExtremeDooty
August 19, 2006, 11:40 AM
I'm not a Cop, but I love watching the show. But it's obvious most of the time that the cops are very aware of the camera on them. It's kind of like how most people drive when they notice a police car in the traffice flow. All of a sudden they're back in Driver's Ed class.

NevJohn
August 19, 2006, 12:21 PM
Not a LEO, but I've watched COPS since it started; back with the episodes were all in Miami/Dade and that Silver Haired Sheriff in every scene. So many re-runs now, that if I come across an episode I've seen, I just turn it to something else. My most favorite show is, "First 48", which is more REAL than anything else I've come across. To me, it has to be actual activity, not something made up by TV. I agree with what someone else said, it that on COPS, I think there have been afew Miranda violations on some of their "in-car" interviews.

John

Archie
August 19, 2006, 12:27 PM
I didn't vote, because I couldn't find my option.

I used to watch COPS when it was first on. Since then, it's become rather repetitious and more slanted toward the 'entertainment' end of 'reality TV'.

I'll watch it from time to time; some of the officers are very good, some are laughable. Same with the various 'chase' programs; some are interesting and enlightening, some are just boring.

All in all, I prefer the History channel. But not everything on that, either.

candr44
August 19, 2006, 12:27 PM
I was curious about this also. I use to work with cops and a few watched it and also Hill Street Blues. I prefered Hill Street Blues myself.

BlkHawk73
August 19, 2006, 02:50 PM
While in school for law enforcement and during the academy time we'd watch and critique different actions on the show. While it's not exactly 'real" becuase of the cameras, much is what an officer may encounter. However one doesn't enter the profession hoping for that stuff as the job - as my instructor once said - is 99% boredom and 1% sheer terror.

Zach S
August 19, 2006, 04:55 PM
That show has got to be a lot of work in the cutting room.

I'm not a cop, but I do watch the show on occasion.

As for the police chase shows, I stopped watching them. I couldnt count how many times I saw that old ford truck running on the rims, wrecking in the median, and the guy getting out to say "I need a beer." Not to mention the corvette that spun out while passing a tractor trailer with the guy walking away from the pile of fiberglass without a scratch, or the white S10 than ran a red light and got flattened by a peterbuilt. Then there's the suburban (or blazer?) that gets stuck in the desert during their getaway. And lets not forget the guy that gave them a hell of a run in his white extended cab chevy truck, and then turned out to be a cop. And of course, "The south carolina Mustang is still on the job."

These people, and that south carolina mustang, are immortalized in police shows. If they arent in the "scariest police chases" that comes on at 20:00, they're in the "Scariest police videos" that comes on at 21:00 right along with that guy that got his revolver shout out of his hand, and the car caught in a flood where the helo lands on the hood twice to get the women out. I think it takes a hell of a pilot to do that, twice, but I've seen it so many times the whole "aw factor" has worn off.

Lets not forget the narrator for both of those shows, Sherriff John Bunnell (ret.) and his "police have super crime-fighting powers that you cant escape" attitude. Dont get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for LEOs (yancey county NC LEOs excluded), but you arent Jedi's. I liked him a lot better when he was returning stolen property to the owners in the suspect's front yard and then leaving a message on his machine.

//edit: Well, this post turned out to be a lot longer than I planned, sorry...

Raptor5191
August 19, 2006, 04:58 PM
I only watch it if I am REALLY bored and there is absolutely nothing else on and I have NOTHING else to do.

More often than not I watch in awe as guys are making stupid decisions for the camera and comprimising their safety and the safety of others.

ScottsGT
August 19, 2006, 06:26 PM
Not a cop, but...
I pity someone whose job take them to the scum of the earth as you see a lot on on this show. It will give you a different respect for guys in uniform if you watch this show and realize that everyday at work, this is what you have to deal with. I could not do it.
Also makes one understand why cops get an "attitude" as some here like to call it, toward people that have been pulled over for a minor traffic violation. Face it, when your dealing with the type of humans you see on Cops everyday, it will effect someone.
I like to watch the show when I think my job stinks!

gezzer
August 19, 2006, 11:48 PM
Retired, good for laugh or training on what NOT to do.

RustyShackelford
August 20, 2006, 12:07 AM
I remember watching Cops in the early 90s with members of my US Army MP platoon. We'd watch the show while we were drinking and yell at the TV. :D

One MP I was stationed with at FT Vee VA became a Petersburg VA police officer, he was on Cops in the late 1990s. He had to deal with a large snake under a woman's porch. :uhoh:

I like the newer Cops. The format where they show different areas on the same show is better than the old style where they'd be in the same city for weeks at a time.

I've taken issue with some of LEOs I've seen on the show. I saw an older female cop in Pittsburgh who let a subject go off on her rather than control him, :rolleyes: . I also saw a newer segment where a LEO in Las Vegas NV said on camera how he "takes his time" responding to some calls, :uhoh: . He was also very brash and talked down to the citizens he was dealing with. The cop said he was from New York, :rolleyes: .

Rusty

Nitrogen
August 20, 2006, 12:23 AM
Watching COPS is great training for civillians, to watch how most people in police situations give up their rights. Amazing how many people on that show incriminate themselves, give up their 4th amendment rights, etc.

It's actually great policework on the police's part; getting people they have a reasonable suspicion of guilt to give their rights up and incriminate themselves; it's a great study in how to do it.

Take that as a good thing or a bad thing.

rcellis
August 20, 2006, 12:26 AM
FWIW, I know a doctor who watched St. Elsewhere and E.R. but refuses to watch House. Not sure what to think of that...

MountainPeak
August 20, 2006, 12:51 AM
Of course! I like bare chested men!!! :D :D :neener:

fastbolt
August 20, 2006, 02:12 AM
Not willingly ...

CTD99
August 20, 2006, 01:43 PM
Understand I'm not a cop, I'm not anti cop. I'm not critisizing cops doing what they believe is right. I believe cops are doing a needed service, and I'm trying not to second guess there decisions, but.......

Anyone seen any racial "overreactions" or "excessive force" used on COPS? I see some force used on more blacks than whites.

I'm always amazed at how (durning sting operations) they usually run up to the perp guns drawn and slam them to the ground when the perp has done nothing to resist or indicated he would resist. Is this for the cameras? I realize there needs to be a "show of force" to overwhelm the subject, but I see (what I believe)some excessive force.

I also see K9's allowed to bite when the subject is not resisting, or has quit resisting.

Am I an uneducated civilian? or am I seeing something done wrong?

Group9
August 20, 2006, 02:04 PM
The only "cop reality show" I watch is Reno 911.

Raptor5191
August 20, 2006, 02:10 PM
CTD:

In a nutshell:

Yeah.

ScottsGT
August 21, 2006, 07:50 AM
Anyone seen any racial "overreactions" or "excessive force" used on COPS? I see some force used on more blacks than whites.

I'm always amazed at how (durning sting operations) they usually run up to the perp guns drawn and slam them to the ground when the perp has done nothing to resist or indicated he would resist. Is this for the cameras? I realize there needs to be a "show of force" to overwhelm the subject, but I see (what I believe)some excessive force.

I also see K9's allowed to bite when the subject is not resisting, or has quit resisting.

Am I an uneducated civilian? or am I seeing something done wrong?

Just great material for the civil defense attorneys.......

ron8903
August 21, 2006, 09:28 AM
Yes and yes.
I like the first one's where the female officers looked like
models and the male officers smoked in there car's.
Lots of laughs, but on the serious side,some good training
for what not to do.

slicknickns
August 21, 2006, 11:33 AM
I asked a cop once if he watched that show, he told me yes because he said that it shows the mistakes an officer can make.

Ala Dan
August 21, 2006, 11:37 AM
Some times, if its on~!:eek:

If you enjoyed reading about "Do Cops Watch "COPS"?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!