Old Stevens single shot

PDA

MrTwigg
August 18, 2006, 10:55 AM
I recently acquired an old Stevens 94C .410 for my son. The receiver still shows some case coloring. The barrel has gone nearly brown from age. This still shoots well.

How viable would it be to have the barrel re-blued and is it possible to re-do the case colored finish on the receiver. Should I just leave well-enough alone ? The gun looks ok but it must have been really nice years ago.

If you enjoyed reading about "Old Stevens single shot" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ArmedBear
August 18, 2006, 12:55 PM
Breakfree CLP or Bullfrog Lubricant-Rustblocker and a rag from Home Depot. Rub surface rust and crud off with terry cloth and one of the aforementioned products. Then protect it with one -- Bullfrog if you can find it, CLP if you want a one-thing-does-all product.

There's something nice about the way it is now.

Onmilo
August 18, 2006, 01:59 PM
+1
A recaseharden would cost over twicw what the retail value of the gun is today and having the barrel professionally reblued would add another $50.00 to that.
Leave the gun as is. Those shotguns always did look better with some 'Character marks'.

ArmedBear
August 18, 2006, 02:04 PM
BTW browning worked as well as blueing, or sometimes better, to prevent rust. I have a few deliberately-browned guns, and they're fine after 25 years.

Surface rust, should it appear, can be removed with fine steel wool, too, without marring the finish, which is a plus. Kept properly oiled, the gun won't be any more rust-prone than if it were blue, AFAIK.

MrTwigg
August 18, 2006, 07:24 PM
Thanks for your opinions guys. :)

I can always get him a another (new) gun when he gets older. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Old Stevens single shot" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!