Stuck screw while doing Rem 700 trigger job

PDA

Henry Bowman
August 18, 2006, 11:55 AM
I finally decided to lighten the trigger pull on my Remington 700 rifle from its attorney-blessed factory 20+lb weight. I broke the "seals of God" and cleaned away all visable residue.

The two forward screws came loose without a problem, but the rear screw is stuck fast. I have used WD-40 on it and let it sit for hours. Now I am afraid that I will round off the slot if I keep going at it. The thing is too small to drill and use an extractor (at least for the equipment and tools I have).

My questions:

1) Any hints on how to get the tiny set screw to break free?

2) If I FUBAR the screw, do I have any good options other than buy a new trigger assembly?

Anybody got experience with this? :o

If you enjoyed reading about "Stuck screw while doing Rem 700 trigger job" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hoghunting
August 18, 2006, 01:48 PM
The bottom screw on front of the trigger housing adjusts the trigger pull weight. The top screw is for overtravel. The backside screw is for trigger engagement. Unless you are fairly familiar with trigger adjustments, leave the other two screws alone and only adjust the screw for pull weight.

You might have to replace the spring if you can't get the pull weight below 4-5 lbs. http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=22878&title=REMINGTON+700%2f721%2f722+SPRING+KIT

Henry Bowman
August 18, 2006, 06:06 PM
Good point. Thanks for the tip.

RecoilRob
August 18, 2006, 10:07 PM
I was looking to reduce the trigger pull on my AR-50 (which has a Rem M-700 type trigger) and found adjusting the 'pull' screw of limited value.

The spring was SO darned heavy that it was still too much even with no preload on the screw. Backing the screw out any farther resulted in failure of the trigger to reset.

I scrounged around the house and found a great replacement spring in an unlikely place.....under the keys of an old computer keyboard. Yank a key and there is a long, fine spring that worked perfectly once trimmed to length.

It isn't strong enough to offer much pull weight adjustment but the reset is positive and all the weight in the trigger is caused by the myriad of other factors in the M-700 trigger system.

From my experience with a Shilen 2lb'er, once the spring forces are reduced to resettable minimums, the sear engagement is all that is left. Be careful to not reduce it to dangerous levels...i.e. the rifle fires when slammed hard on the ground.

My AR-50 is now down around 4lbs which doesn't sound that good...it started over 10. The firing pin is SO strong that overcoming it's force raises the pull over a Remington. But crisp 4lb's is fine on a 36lb rifle IMO.

Henry Bowman
August 19, 2006, 12:50 PM
Well, I adjusted the other screws and lightened up the trigger pull spring as much as I could. I am unable to make it fail and it breaks at a nice 2.25-2.5 lbs. I'm happy with that. :D Thank you for the help.

If you enjoyed reading about "Stuck screw while doing Rem 700 trigger job" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!