How important are safety features? Glock

PDA

kona1535
August 18, 2006, 12:32 PM
How important are safety features on subcompact concealed carry pistols. I have been debating the purchase of a Glock 27. However I have heard concerns of the lack of safety features. What are the chances or how many accidents have taken place with Glocks.

If you enjoyed reading about "How important are safety features? Glock" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Black Majik
August 18, 2006, 12:38 PM
The biggest safety is the one between your ears.

Just keep your finger off the trigger along the frame, follow the 4 rules and you'll be fine.

Glocks are safe guns, its the users that usually aren't.

45shooter
August 18, 2006, 12:49 PM
I see a lot of people getting Glocks and SA XD as their first pistol but I think these pistols are more for the experienced people. Since all their safties are passive the user is becomes the safty. I been carrying and shooting for over 30 years but I still don't feel comfortable carrying a Glock with a round in the chamber.

Correia
August 18, 2006, 12:52 PM
Just don't try to 'speed reholster'. Take your time. If the gun feels like it doesn't want to go into the holster, stop, and check to make sure your shirt or something else isn't in there. It is a rare accident, but it does happen, and Glocks are susceptible.

On any gun with a hammer or grip safety, I teach to reholster with your thumb removed from the grip and placed on the hammer to effectively deactivate the weapon while holstering.

longeyes
August 18, 2006, 02:05 PM
The Glock mandates a good holster.

Of course you can alway use a Saf-T-Blok.

Roadwild17
August 18, 2006, 02:10 PM
I once asked about the same queston, one answer that I remember went something like along the lines of "Accidents can happen with any gun, but a glock is very unforgiving"

Ichiro
August 18, 2006, 03:04 PM
The Glock trigger is too short and light for carry IMO. But 1000s of people carry them.

Slvr Surfr
August 18, 2006, 05:12 PM
Im with Majic on this. I carry a glock on duty and off. To me its one of the safest weapons ever made. The bottom line is any weapon can have a accidental discharge, no matter how many active/passive safeties it has. As long as the user practices safe handling/carry techniques, youll never have to worry about ADs.

Mandirigma
August 18, 2006, 05:16 PM
I've never owned a firearm that went bang unless a finger was on the trigger. .

My current carry lineup is a 1991 Gov't, and a Glock 33 (357sig variant of the subcompacts).

Braden
August 18, 2006, 05:21 PM
In my humble opinion, ANY gun is only as safe as the person holding it. Let's face it, guns don't just go off by themselves.

There are thousands and thousands of people that carry Glocks every day that have never (and probably will never) have an ND because they're smart enough to keep their finger off the tringer until they're ready to shoot. On the other hand, there are a ton of people who HAVE experienced an ND with a Glock because they let their finger (or something else) slip inside that trigger guard before they should have.

Is a Glock MORE likely to have an ND than some other handgun with a non-passive safety? If you're the type of person that runs around with your finger on the trigger then the answer to that question is a definite YES. If you're the type of person that practices good gun handling skills then the answer to that question is a definite NO.

WolfMansDad
August 18, 2006, 05:32 PM
I looked into this before I bought my glock as well. Based on the reports I read, a glock won't go off if you don't pull the trigger.

Back in the early 90's, apparently, there were a few reports of unsafe glocks, but the design was modified to correct the problem. Unless you are buying an "antique" glock, yours should be safe. And no, you don't need a "New York Trigger." The factory trigger is one of the reasons I love the glock.

That said, some people do pull the trigger accidentally! You should only put your finger inside the trigger guard in two situations:

1. You have a sight picture and are ready to shoot, or to prep the trigger in anticipation of a possible shot, or

2. When bringing the trigger to the rear on an empty chamber for storing the pistol (glock's recommended procedure and a good practice; if the trigger is back, you can tell at a glance that the chamber is empty).

Get a good holster that will cover the trigger guard, to keep loose objects from working their way inside it. Also, if you are going to pocket carry, don't carry anything but the pistol in that pocket. Keys, pocketknives, flashlights, etc. can all wedge the trigger back.

As posted somewhere above, the best safety is the one between your ears.

Superpsy
August 18, 2006, 07:28 PM
Do a search on glock safety and you'll see a ton of opinions on this issue...

IMHO I prefer to have an exernal safety...as much as Glock lovers out there say to use the safety between your ears. Human error does exist...:p Personal preference...go out to the range and shoot some guns!:D

Phantom Warrior
August 18, 2006, 07:38 PM
My Glock 23 was my first handgun at age 18. It was my first carry gun at age 20 and what I've carried since then. I'm now 23 and I've never had a problem with it nor regreted buying or carrying it. I've got no regrets...

Plink
August 18, 2006, 08:02 PM
Guns are safe, it's people that aren't. I always hear "keep your finger off the trigger and it won't go off" which we all know is true. But when law enforcement agencies began switching to Glocks, the negligent discharge rate went through the roof (along with a lot of bullets). Even people who are highly trained make mistakes. Personally, I'd rather have an active safety as one more thing between me and a thoughtless moment.

I feel the Glock/XD type triggers are too light and short to be considered a true double action only. They're like carrying a single action, cocked and unlocked. I'd feel safer with an XD's grip safety, actually. Though I feel safest with a cocked and locked 1911. That's one of the safest designs in the world.

JohnKSa
August 19, 2006, 12:25 AM
Glocks have plenty of safety features--as many as or possibly even more than most guns out there.

The Glock safeties are all transparent to the user but are designed to make the trigger very difficult to snag and to make it impossible for the gun to go off if the trigger is not pulled.

What they don't have is a manual safety. If you want a manual safety then buy something else.

psyopspec
August 19, 2006, 01:35 AM
I prefer a manual safety.

However, keep your booger hook off the bang switch until you're ready to fire and you'll be fine.

GRP
August 19, 2006, 07:33 AM
Way too many police depts are carrying Glocks to be unsafe. If accidental discharges were an issue at all they wouldn't be using them. The only time I can see where there would be a chance of discharge would be on reholstering. I have a holster with a retaining strap and using an empty gun, practiced unholstering and reholstering the gun hundreds of times. I have never been able to produce a simulated discharge(trigger to rear) . Glocks, at least the one I have, have a fairly long pull on the first shot. So, keep your finger off the trigger when reholstering and use reasonable care.

Ash
August 19, 2006, 07:58 AM
Oh, ND's ARE an issue with Glock, and the rates of ND's with Glocks are higher than in the revolver days. Glock triggers are very light and easier to accidentally pull than a double action auto such as a Sig, which also does not have an external safety. ND's happen because people buy into the Glock's mysterious "safer than any other pistol". It is not. It is a reliable, durable pistol that is reasonably safe if used in a holster.

There are folks who brag about pocket carry with a Glock, but that is a foolish thing to do. People liken them to revolvers, which were pocket carried, but that is not valid as the trigger is much easier to pull on a Glock, and said Glock does not have a hammer to resist the trigger's pull in a pocket.

The vast majority of modern autos have all the passive safeties such as firing pin blocks that won't allow the pistol to fire unless the trigger is pulled fully rearwards. For instance, the CZ-75 will not fire unless you pull the trigger fully to the rear. If you drop it, it won't go boom. But, its trigger is heavier than the Glock and is less likely to be accidentally pulled fully rearward.

All that said, the Glocks are relatively safe to carry. No handgun is safe to carry and thinking so is really not a good idea. A pocket knife is safe to carry, as are car keys and loose change. Carrying a handgun requires a nearly constant awareness of its presence and its potential to kill or injure. That is the reason for carrying in the first place, to project force either in the actual firing of the weapon or the implied firing of the weapon (not to begin a debate on that one). You can think of other things and do other things, your mind need not be on that pistol all the time, but you can never forget you have it on you.

We have become somewhat cavalier about firearms with CCW. Glocks help that cavalier nature because they are supposed to be the safest pistol in the world. Also, they are taken less seriously because the need not be cared for like other pistols. Folks who brag about the kind of abuse they give to a Glock demonstrate the danger here. If you can be careless with its maintenance and care, you can become careless with its carry. CCW is not a safe practice, no, not really, and should be done only by a serious person who weighs the pros and cons of whether or not they need to carry a firearm. I am stridently for carrying concealed or openly and am against laws allowing it as the constitution already allows it. Yet, as in that wonderful Spiderman quote, "with great power comes great responsibility." With carrying a firearm, one must be very responsible. No firearm is very forgiveable when mistreated or mishandled. Glocks can be less forgiving than many because of their light triggers. But, if you are vigilant and take carrying a pistol dead seriously, then Glocks are safe pistols to select for carry. They are reliable, durable, and light.

Ash

Navy87Guy
August 19, 2006, 08:01 AM
The only safety feature that a Glock is "missing" is an external safety...it doesn't have one. Then again, neither does my Walther -- or my CZ -- or my Ruger -- or my Beretta -- nor did my Sig. So that really doesn't make a difference. As many others have said, it's proper handling that prevents negligent discharges. Use a quality holster, keep your finger off the trigger and take your time reholstering your weapon and you shouldn't have any problems. (And those are all things we should be doing regardless of the brand of gun we're carrying!)

Jim

bpisler
August 19, 2006, 08:15 AM
Guns don't cause accidents,people do.Glocks
are just as safe as any pistol when handled
properly.

Braden
August 19, 2006, 08:39 AM
Glocks, at least the one I have, have a fairly long pull on the first shot.

You may want to have your Glock checked out by a certified armorer.

JohnKSa
August 19, 2006, 05:19 PM
the rates of ND's with Glocks are higher than in the revolver days.Reference, please.

Ash
August 19, 2006, 06:00 PM
If you would like to refute with evidence to the contrary, please feel free to.

Ash

JohnKSa
August 19, 2006, 06:27 PM
I'm not really coming down on either side of this until I see the evidence, but let's say I took the opposite view--that would mean it's not a problem which would mean that there would be no need to do a study. No study means no evidence that I could use to refute your (as yet undocumented) claim.

Here's the deal. You make a claim, you need to document it. Making claims and then asking OTHERS to come up with evidence to the contrary is backwards--and also is setting an impossible task for them in some cases as I pointed out in the previous paragraph. Your method would allow anyone to state ANYTHING as fact and the burden of proof then falls on anyone who disagrees or who asks for a reference. That's not how the real world works.

In the real world, making claims you can't document or haven't documented means that you are an unreliable source of information.

You decided it was worth putting on the permanent record of the internet--if that's true then it's also worth documenting. If you now have changed your mind and do not think that the claim is worth documenting (or find that you can not document it), you can retract the statement and admit that you made it in the absence of any supporting evidence.

gezzer
August 20, 2006, 01:02 AM
Accidentally pull a Glock trigger?

If you cannot walk and chew gum, keep fom picking your nose in public, talk on a cell phone and drive. Do not buy a Glock or IMHO any other any other firearm as you are not ready to carry any firearm.

jlh26oo
August 20, 2006, 02:29 AM
Glock's 3 safeties work for me. If you need a manual safety, then you might want to look elsewhere. I consider it no less safe than a DA revolver.

Ash
August 20, 2006, 09:57 AM
Then count me an unreliable source. :D

Ash

If you enjoyed reading about "How important are safety features? Glock" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!