1862 Pocket Navy

PDA

The Sicilian
August 19, 2006, 04:02 PM
Hi guys,

I just got what think is a good deal on a 62' pocket pistol/navy. $75.00 bucks but it needs a hand assembly, no big deal. It's a Navy Arms/Uberti and it's been banged up a bit but beyond that it is in good condition. I checked the marks for what year it was made in and it turns out it is a 1975! Pretty interesting. By looking at it I'd say it was never shot before. I bought it from a guy who ownes a gun shop, it was in his safe. He used to lend it to actors for using in plays and such, so it used to be a theater gun! Pretty neat, huh! A friend of mine fixes old cowboy guns and said he should have a hand assembly for me. So come Monday I'll pick it up and install it, then it's to the range to do some test firing!!!

The Sicilian.

If you enjoyed reading about "1862 Pocket Navy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
The Sicilian
August 19, 2006, 04:04 PM
P.S,

What should I shoot out of it? .375 or .380 diameter balls?

I got the sneaking suspecian that I'll have hard time finding and .380's!

The Sicilian.

Old Fuff
August 19, 2006, 04:17 PM
Current specifications say that it should have .372" Dia. chambers, and call for a .375" ball backed by 15 grains of fffG black powder.

So try a .375" ball to start with, and go to .380" if you have to. For the record, .380" was more often called for in the originalls, the reproductions more often specify .375".

Be aware that it uses a smaller hand, common to the 1849 Pocket Model series.

The Sicilian
August 19, 2006, 04:21 PM
Thanks fluff,

I'm just suspecious of their recommendations, as you well know yourself. They always seem to get it wrong. My Uberti manual said a .451 ball for my 58' and I use .457's cause the .451 didn't even shave off a ring of lead! I've never owned a .36 before so I was wandering if it was the same as with the bigger ones. Go bigger because they are usually wrong!:D

I'll still try out the .375 as it should be easy to find, easier than the .380 diameter balls. thanks for speaking up. Maybe I'll get lucky and have a shooter on my hands. To date my luck has been pretty bad with used guns.

Old Fuff
August 19, 2006, 04:43 PM
When they made the gun the chambering reamer(s) were either new or like new, or worn. The more worn they were the smaller the chamber. The only practical way to tell is to try it out. Load one chamber at a time until you know... Hopefully you will luck out. ;)

Back in the 19th century Colt would measure the chambers with a gauge, and then put a matching bullet mold in the box with the gun. The system worked well.

The Sicilian
August 19, 2006, 08:22 PM
That's pretty cool information, on both fronts, especially about Colt adding the proper mold to fit the chambers of the gun....good service there. The chambers should be what...002 over bore diameter for the revolver to shoot accurately Old Fluff? Do you own one, and if you do how do you like it and does it shoot well? Mine has a 4 and 1/2 inch barrel and needs a hand assembly. Could you possibly give me detailed instructions on how to file the hand for proper timing and cylinder rotation. I've broken a few of these revolvers down and even replaced some parts in the short time I've been shooting them but I've never had to file any of the internal parts before. I think in order for the cylinder to rotate and line up properly I may have to custom fit the hand to the cylinder. Is this pretty much correct Old Fluff?

Thanks for the information,

The Sicilian.

Manyirons
August 19, 2006, 08:43 PM
Anywheres from .001 ta .004 over dependin on tha bore/grooves is good. Hand fittin aint no big deal, itsa example thing, ifin ya gots one thas right, copy it.

The Sicilian
August 19, 2006, 08:58 PM
Thanks Manyirons! Have you ever shot a 62' before? Do you own one?

Old Fuff
August 19, 2006, 09:12 PM
Ideally the chambers should be .001” to .0025” over the barrel’s groove diameter, but this seldom happens, especially in older guns. There, the chambers are sometimes way undersized. For example, looking at your Uberti 1862 Pocket Navy, the chambers are supposed to run .372” against a bore groove diameter of .370” but individual guns vary. If the above was correct, a .375” ball should work.

At the moment I don’t own a replica Pocket Model of any kind, but EMF is having (or had) a sale on ’62 Police Models with the longer 5 ½” barrel, and the price is attractive.

In general, hands come long, and need to be shortened. A full explanation with instructions would require a long post, and my hands have been disabled by a medical condition (and likely old age) that has reduced my typing to two fingers, (sometimes one). Consequently anything of great length has to be composed over time using a word processor, and then cut and pasted to the High Road forum. I hope to get set up with one of those systems where you talk into a microphone and the computer converts speech to text.

Somewhere I have the manuscript for a book that explains all, but so far I’ve been unable to find it. Manyirons is lusting to see it, and he will, if I can find it. Strangely, one of the few handguns that my crippled hands can still work are cap & ball revolvers with their high, vertical hammer spurs and soft recoil.

Old Fuff
August 19, 2006, 09:22 PM
Manyirons:

There's more to fitting a hand that meets the eye, and one that's too long can cause excessive battering of the cylinder stop notches and one that is too short won't revolve the cylinder far enough.

Without going into detail, in the old days they first fitted the trigger to the hammer, so that the trigger would slip ito the hammer's full cock notch just as the back of the hammer contacted the backstrap. Then they fitted the hand to just turn the cylinder far enough to go from one chamber to the next. The cylinder bolt was fitted last. When everything was correctly set up the backstrap would stop the hand from trying to push the cylinder too far after the cylinder bolt stopped it. An incorrectly timed action will also cause battering between the point of the hand and the cylinder's ratchet.

You have to look at fitting a hand in terms of timing the whole action.

The Sicilian
August 19, 2006, 10:57 PM
That right there was some excellent information Fluff! Amazing stuff. I wish they actually still did it that way. i've noticed most of the repo's don't contact the backstrap when fully cocked,and if it's a Colt that effects the sight picture a touch. Sorry to hear about your bad hands, must be very uncomfortable for you. Don't put yourself out for me Old Fluff, I'll try and find the details as best I can from mec or Jule, they both know what they're doing, that's for sure.

Thanks again Old timer,

The Sicilian.

Smokin_Gun
August 20, 2006, 03:39 AM
Sicilian, most Uberti .36's take .380 balls...my Uberti 1851 Navy does. Piettas mostly use the .375 balls. I got a Lee 2 cav. .380 mold and works great. I'm not sure if the Pockets 62' are the same chamber size, but I'd think so.

PS
will be in touch about the email...

Manyirons
August 20, 2006, 08:08 AM
Hi FLUFF!

Yup, yer right an i aint got no excuse but bein too lazy ta type. When i mentioned CORRECT, what i meant was ifin everthin else was right too.

An yer right! I WANT tha book! Feel like that character in Austin Powers goin after tha baby/midget! "GET IN MAH BELLY!!!!" Yer book i want in my head.

Got tha learnin BUG from tha MANN an his wife!

Manyirons
August 20, 2006, 08:10 AM
Hi SICILIAN!

Yup, gots TWO, figgured why hava .31 when ya can gets tha same frame size in .36 inna Colt reppie?

robert garner
August 20, 2006, 09:07 AM
do yourself a favor and get the 380 mould to start with.
If ya need the 380, then there it is, if the 375 woulda worked,the 380 will give more contact with the rifling! (and slightly more heft to the ball)
robert
if ya wish pm me i've some useless (to me) 375's on hand, i'll forward you a handfull
robert

The Sicilian
August 20, 2006, 02:56 PM
Thanks guys,

I figured the same thing. My Uberti's have always taken to the bigger diameter balls. I'll wind up getting the Lee mold for it, I already have the Lee .457 and the big .456 conical for the Ruger I got. I want to get the other conical for the Remintons also. Does Lee make a conical for the .36's?

Manyirons
August 20, 2006, 03:57 PM
They used ta! BUT theys another slug that'll do ya

http://www.bigironbarrels.com/products.html#bullets

Ifin ya ask real nice, mebbe tha MANN might send ya a few ta try.

Steve499
August 20, 2006, 06:22 PM
Sicilian, I have a pocket navy, made by Uberti. The ad in Dixie recommended .375 balls so that's the size mold I ordered (Lee, from Midway). The balls fit the chambers, don't back out any under recoil, but don't shave a ring, even a little, on loading. If I had it to do again, I'd go .380 to begin with like Robert advised. Mine shoots pretty good after I installed a taller front sight. I had some difficulty with it's handling of fired caps. I wound up installing Ampco nipples, making modifications shown in mec's PERCUSSION PISTOLS AND REVOLVERS and adding another thin spring to the hammer spring to increase it's tension. It still hangs up now and then but is much improved.

Steve

If you enjoyed reading about "1862 Pocket Navy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!