The lack of youth shooting programs

PDA

OneShot
May 8, 2003, 12:00 AM
I have noticed a very disturbing trend esp. here in Northern **********. I have asked at several shooting clubs located here if they have any youth shooting programs.

The answer has been a resounding NO!

the reasons I have been given have mostly been related to liability issues.

How the heck is a younger person supposed to get proper firearms instruction if none is available. If your Mom or Pop isn't into shooting you will most likely have to wait until you are of age before learning how to shoot.

I also asked two Boy Scout troop leaders if they have a shooting program and was also told NO.

This is definately a disturbing trend--Rob

If you enjoyed reading about "The lack of youth shooting programs" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Slotback
May 8, 2003, 12:49 AM
That is disturbing. However, I will teach my son how to shoot. Hopefully it will be this weekend.

So far he is grasping the concept that all guns are always loaded, and I consider that a good start. It's pleasing to see him checking the chamber on my 10-22 every time he requests to look at it. Also, he is pointing it in a safe direction. I think I am making considerable headway with the kid.

carp killer
May 8, 2003, 12:54 AM
I have also noticed a trend at gun shows, I see more gray hair. Another major problem is that when I was a kid, I could walk out my back door and go up the hill and just start shooting. Now it is all houses and golf courses. And if I want to legally shoot, I have to travel 45 minutes, going 65 mph on the highway! So it doesn't suprize me that there is no youth shooting programs. Even if they had a target shooting program, punching holes in a piece of paper gets old after a while. There is nothing more fun than walking for miles through trees and fields with a .22 as a boy. Shooting at ground squirrels or bottles at a dump site. Instead I see kids watching TV or playing video games then saying they are bored. That is a bad trend, but I'm afraid it is a sign of the times.:(

DigitalWarrior
May 8, 2003, 01:24 AM
The first time I fired a weapon, I knew that if I missed my target, I would feel endless pain. I knew this because my drill instructor told us in great detail about the consequences of missing. It wasn't until I was 19 that I fired a rifle. I didn't miss.

I had been cleaning my rifle for a month and a half before I put a round in the chamber. I dry fired it for a full week before firing that first shot. I was bunkmates with one kid, who it seemed like, couldn't possibly miss. I wanted to learn his "secret", so I asked him once why he was so good.

Apparently his father taught him how to shoot.

I think that if more kids aren't proficient in firearms use, we will see more liberal's kids in body bags when it comes time for infantry to settle the issue.

One things for damned sure,
I will teach my children to shoot!

PATH
May 8, 2003, 01:42 AM
Just last Sunday one of the clubs I belong to, Monroe-Chester Sportsmens Club, had a youth day and there were over 70 .22 youth shooters. That does not include about another 40 to 50 who could only shoot archery and pellet guns because they were under 12. Get Scout Troops and other youth groups involved. The young are the furure of shooting.

The next youth day at the club will be October 19th. Please visit the website in my signature. We served hot dogs for lunch. It is all gratis.

If you are in the New York area and are interested drop me a PM or e-mail.

The Pearl River Gun Club of Pearl River New York also sponsors youth days. I am not a member there but I can provide you with info if you are interested.

Also United Sportsmen of Rockland is trying to better organize hunting, shooting, fishing, and other outdoor activities for youth in Rockland County New York.

Remember folks, we must pass on the spirit!;)

MrKandiyohi
May 8, 2003, 10:48 AM
The city just north of me is having a lady's day of outdoor activities which include gun cleaning, firearms mechanics, shotgun firing, fly tying, and other outdoor activities. I received the flyer yesterday in the mail.

It's being sponsored by my local gun club, Prairie Woods Learning Center, and the DNR(MN Dept of Natural Resources). The PWLC is a city building which also has some pre-school/kindergarten classes and is currently my township hall building.

I can't remember if they also included some info on handguns, though that class wouldn't be sufficient for the new CCW law.

If they don't give youth firearms training, start your own class. It can always start with you.

Steve Smith
May 8, 2003, 10:58 AM
Thankfully the Highpower crowd is heavily involved with Junior Programs. Too bad some of the other disciplenes don't get behind it more.

MoNsTeR
May 8, 2003, 11:28 AM
A boy scout troop took over half of my favorite range a few weeks ago. It was refreshing seeing so many young people learning to enjoy shooting.

When I was 10 years old I shot NRA smallbore at a nearby club every thursday night. But if my dad hadn't heard about that from I friend, I never would have found it.

It seems to me to be an issue of optimism and respect. Too many of the shooters/shopowners/rangemasters I meet seem incapable of respecting anyone under 30, much less young kids. I can only guess they're just too pessimistic about the younger generation(s).

Carlos Cabeza
May 8, 2003, 11:49 AM
I shoot alot of sub .5 " bore stuff but the greatest thrill of all for me is teaching a young person the skills he or she will need to become a proficient and safe shooter. Paper is for accuracy, but I think the young-uns like pop cans and pellet guns. :D I have a business associate who recently took his boy scout troop to the range for some smallbore rifle practice. I think he said there were three adults and twelve kids. That's a good ratio of shooters/ instructors !:cool: I hope that anyone with the time and kid skills will read this and consider taking a future RKBA supporter to the range. Everyone knows someone who would LOVE to go plink a few pop cans........................................So whattaya say !!!!:cool:

DO IT FOR THE CHILDREN !!!!!!! OUR CHILDREN ;)

blades67
May 8, 2003, 05:22 PM
Rob, contact the NRA and become an instructor. Get involved with the Boy Scouts and start a youth program.

If you are not going to be part of the solution, please stop complaining about the problem.:scrutiny:

OneShot
May 8, 2003, 09:54 PM
Blades67, I was not complaining, it seems that you are the only one who took it that way. In my opinion, you maybe need to try to be constructive and not destructive in your replies.

I asked about starting such a program at the same time that I heard that none were available. I was told that by both clubs (The only two within 50 miles) that it had been discussed and voted down by club members already.

So what words of wisdom do you have now?

Sorry but I can't stand rude people either in person or behind a keyboard.--OneShot

TheLastBoyScout
May 8, 2003, 10:07 PM
My gun club has some youth programs, but its mainly a matter of stumbling onto them.
i.e. show up at CMP day and find out juniors shoot free, free ammo, etc.
It's a nice surprise.:D

El Tejon
May 8, 2003, 10:11 PM
My clubs have heavy youth involvement.

But, not as heavy as it should be! Let's all work toward mandatory firearms training in government skuls!

winstonsmith
May 8, 2003, 11:11 PM
hey guys

You're right. Not enough youth shooting places, although that may just be because my parents aren't exactly torchbearers fore the RKBA.

Im 14, and I've never shot a gun. You're right. There is something wrong. Terribly wrong if i'm missing skills that could save my life.

I live in the PRK, so thats your answer.

Jack

If you enjoyed reading about "The lack of youth shooting programs" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!