Has anyone ever had a jam with a 9mm Glock?

PDA

bg226
August 20, 2006, 02:01 PM
I've read about malfunctions (jams) with other 9mm handguns, but not any with 9mm Glocks.

So the question:

Has anyone ever had a jam with a 9mm Glock?

If you enjoyed reading about "Has anyone ever had a jam with a 9mm Glock?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
longeyes
August 20, 2006, 02:10 PM
G26 & G19: 7 malfs in total of 8186 rds. Most of these were early on.

Geno
August 20, 2006, 02:10 PM
As of this weekend, my G17 has had slightly over 10,000 rounds through it, and of all types of ammo. I have never experienced any form of failures...period!

In fact, one day, I was at the range, thinking of such posts, and people commenting that, "...any gun will fail if you limp wrist it." Okay, so I tried to make it fail. I held it just tight enough so that it would not fall out of my hand to the concrete floor. I emptied 18 rounds and had no failures.

I have always been told that it is due to Glock's ramped barrel, and the fact that the recoil spring is strong. In closing, I did a torture test on this G17 when it was new. I went 3,000+ rounds with never a cleaning, just adding oil from time-to-time. Again, no failures. I finally decided that it was simply time to clean it.

Doc2005

Cousin Mike
August 20, 2006, 02:22 PM
Never owned a Glock. Shot a friends G21C quite a few times, with no problems. Rented a G17 at a range once, and the extractor must have been completely broken. It failed to eject almost every round for a full magazine. Went and got the range officer, told him what was going on, and he didn't seem to believe it. He came to my lane, took a shot, and had an FTE. He looked at the gun, and said,

"Hmmm. That wasn't supposed to happen."

He brought back another G17 and we had no problems for several-hundred rounds. I think my experience was a probably a pretty unique one.

GoRon
August 20, 2006, 02:35 PM
Glocks choke like every other gun, just not nearly as often.

ColoradoKid
August 20, 2006, 02:46 PM
Most freguent malfunction with sub/gun is a type #2 (stovepipe) and normally caused by the operator failing to utilize an aggressive enough grip, thus causing the stoppage.

longeyes
August 20, 2006, 02:58 PM
I didn't mention the G17 I own that has never jammed in nearly a thousand rounds. I also own a G30 with about three thousand rounds through it: no jams.

The G19 may have that barrel-mag follower problem: Older 10-rd mags that sometimes have trouble with certain hollow points.

Group9
August 20, 2006, 03:02 PM
I had one from 91 to 94 that I put about 8000 rounds through. I can't remember one single malfunction. But, I have a Sig P226 that I have put twice that many through, and the only time it ever malfunctioned was with a bad case of ammo that had everyone on the line's guns choking.

High quality semi-automatic pistols have gotten to the point where they really shouldn't ever jam unless there is an intervening problem like a dirty gun, or bad ammo.

Vitamin G
August 20, 2006, 03:33 PM
The only time I saw a glock jam (on factory ammo) was about 30 seconds after the guy with the G17 was talking smack on how unreliable 1911's are and are prone to jams. It was a failure to feed.

Don't get me started on the overcrimp of some of my 1st 10mm loads and my glock 20... :rolleyes:

Double Naught Spy
August 20, 2006, 03:36 PM
Of course Glocks malfunction. The are made by humans. Humans have failed to do everything perfectly and manufacturing is one of those things.

One of the best places to see guns fail is during a match and it is at that time people can't make excuses about how their guns never malfunction. I have learned over the years that there are very few guns that are truly free of any malfunctions. I am not casting dispersions here, but simply noting that I have seen several previous perfect guns mysteriously malfunction for the first time after thousands of rounds. Come to find out from some folks, the guns have always worked perfectly, but there was a spring problem, mag problem, ammo problem, or a part broke, but the gun has never malfunctioned. What?

Check here for the 2004 Glock v. 1911 results. http://www.tdsa.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=30;t=4

I was in the match. The first gun to malfunction was a Glock in 9mm. It fired one shot and failed to properly feed the second round. The first gun to die during the match was a Glock. I enjoyed this a great deal as the Glockers were giving the 1911 guys garbage because the first gun to fail during the previous year’s match was a 1911 at something like 46 rounds. Needless to say, the Glock guys stopped thumping their chests with these developments. These facets are not reflected in the results, but the results do show that Glocks do in fact malfunction.

With that said, Glocks are fine guns, but know they are not perfect, not even in 9mm.

Onmilo
August 20, 2006, 04:03 PM
Not yet in several thousand of rounds through four pistols.
I have had accuracy issues involving poorly regulated sights, bad steel replacement guide rods, and shock buffers but I have yet to experience a jam.
My Model 34 even continued to function with a broken plastic guide rod.

August 20, 2006, 04:14 PM
I have had malfunctions, but never a jam.

Phenom
August 20, 2006, 04:28 PM
I've shot plenty of 1911-A1 pistols and none of them ever jammed. I've shot several Glocks and only encountered jams with the 9mms. The venerable 1911 which is a real man's pistol proved more reliable. Just goes to show that the best design computer is the one between your ears;)

surfinUSA
August 20, 2006, 04:39 PM
My glocks have never malfunctioned, but then neither has my Beretta 92 fs or my S&W 3913.

Tom Servo
August 20, 2006, 04:50 PM
It's funny...I took a 1911 to the range with a friend a few weeks back. He was foaming at the mouth about the greatness that is Gaston Glock's Gift to Mankind. After two magazines, the ejector broke. My Kimber experienced no stoppages in the ~300 rounds we put through it that afternoon.

Sorry, I just found it ironic ;)

The Glock is a machine, like any other. Take care of it and feed it the right ammo, and it's hugely unlikely you'll have a problem.

Abuse it, avoid cleaning it, and feed it your friend's uncle's homemade "super kitchen-table" reloads, and the chances of problems go up.

Most of the failures I've seen with Glocks have been in the hands of inexperienced shooters who did something really stupid to/with the gun, like one of the above. The other thing I've noticed is that over-lubing them seems to create FTF's.

In the hands of an experienced shooter who took care of the gun, I can't recall ever having seen a malfunction.

possum
August 20, 2006, 05:01 PM
I have only 800rds through mt glock 19, which was my dad's and he had about 500 -600rds never caused him or me a single issue. that is with reloads, winchester, umc, blaser brass, and american eagle ammo.

Snarlingiron
August 20, 2006, 05:27 PM
Glock 19...7000+ rounds. 2 stovepipes (very early), 2 ftf's. Caused by a magazine with some foreign object rattling around inside it. I dismantled the magazine, and never did find what it was. It apparently fell out when I opened up the magazine. Since I use the drop the magazine reload technique, I suspect it was a stone, or maybe something rattling around the range bag like maybe a dime. I have shot and owned a lot of semi-autos, and in my experience nothing comes close to the Glock in reliability. Do they malfunction? sure they do. Do they do it less, and with far less maintenance than just about anything else? sure they do. Will a lot of people gleefully report every single problem they ever have along with the usual, "see, I told you they weren't all they were cracked up to be"? sure they will.

I agree, they aren't perfect, but they work damn good, and they last a long time.

10-Ring
August 20, 2006, 06:22 PM
A buddy tried using G22 mags in his 19...he wanted to get a little more capacity. I think it was the mag swelling w/ the rounds, but still, he had several feed issues. After that range session, he went back to the G19 mags and has had no problems.

gudel
August 20, 2006, 06:22 PM
Never with my G17.

AK103K
August 20, 2006, 06:46 PM
I never had a jam with my 17, I just never trusted it to work. It locked up within the first 200 rounds and would not allow the trigger to be pulled. I sent it back, and it did the same exact thing a short while later. Sent it back again and this time they replaced everything, including the slide, which they said was cracked. At that point I got rid of it and my two 19's and havent bothered with them since.

longeyes
August 20, 2006, 07:00 PM
I have about eight thousand rounds (total) through two 1911s (Kimber, Sistema). I will tell you this: I've had substantially more malfs from the two 1911s than from my Glocks. Deus vult.

BlkHawk73
August 20, 2006, 07:36 PM
Yes. Keep in kind, ANY gun can malfunction. It's a mechanical device assembled by humans so yeah, it's prone to have a malfunction eventually. Also, just bcuase a gun has a malfunction, odesn't mean it's the fault of the gun. Could be the fualt of the ammo, the shooter (limp wristing) or could be the gun itself be it dirty, gummed up or just have a broken part. AGlock or not, ANY gun can and will malfunction.

bg226
August 20, 2006, 09:32 PM
Apparently, Glock "perfection" is just another marketing trick.

Stinger
August 20, 2006, 09:35 PM
I've had one FTF with a G19, but that was entirely ammo related. I was using WWB, and the glue from the packaging oozed onto the first row of cartridges. I scraped off the glue and went to work emptying the rest of the box.

Stinger

Bartholomew Roberts
August 20, 2006, 09:46 PM
As of today, I have 6,160 rounds through a Glock 26 with 2 stoppages total. Both of the malfunctions were hard primers that the striker-fired Glock wasn't able to detonate first-time through; but that it fired successfully the second time through. No jams.

The only other thing I've seen is the Glock 34 with the long slide and lighter 9mm recoil can be susceptible to stovepipes if the user limpwrists the pistol. However I consider that more of a user error than something you can blame on the pistol. The Glock 35 in .40 though didn't have the same problem for the same shooter just because it had a little more oomph behind it.

PO2Hammer
August 20, 2006, 10:35 PM
My first Glock, a 34 would f-t-feed quite a bit with light practice ammo. Fine with full power hollow points. A 15 pound recoil spring fixed the problem.
-My 21 had trouble loading the first round from a 10 round mag. It was very hard to get that 10th round in there.
-My 20 had two f-t-fires with Winchester Slivertip ammo. When the new full cap mags came out, I had many f-t-feeds with them. 10 rounders were 100%.
-My 35 had many f-t-feeds and was terribly innaccurate.
-My 17L longslide has been perfect and very accurate, 2,000 rounds or so.

Quinch
August 21, 2006, 03:21 AM
About 15,000 rounds through a G23 without a failure.
Only a couple hundred though a G20, one failure to go into battery. Cause: wife is a notorious limp-wrister.
She has never shot the G23. Don't limp-wrist, and you're fine. That goes for alot of autos.

USMCRotrHed
August 21, 2006, 03:50 AM
An aquaintance of mine had one jam once, but that was after no..and I mean NO cleaning for almost 600 rounds.

jlh26oo
August 21, 2006, 04:07 AM
No.

Top_Notch
August 21, 2006, 11:23 AM
Yes. Twice in 1000 rounds. That's once more than my 1911. Hmmm.

The 2183 followers are garbage and will not feed JHP correctly.

Mossyrock
August 21, 2006, 11:43 AM
I have owned a variety of Glocks, to include three or four 17s, a custom 10mm longslide and about half a dozen 19s. None of the 9mms malfunctioned, but the 10mm was pretty picky and gave me feeding and extraction fits. Want to know the secret to Glock reliability? Easy: DON'T MESS WITH IT!! 90% of the Glock problems I have seen were caused by someone messing with the basic design, to include changing the springs, guide rod or trigger pull. When it comes to Glocks, the best thing to do is either buy it with factory night sights or have decent sights installed and LEAVE IT ALONE!!

I have a safe full of custom 1911s and Hi-Powers from folks like Ted Yost, Dane Burns, Chuck Rogers and Wayne Novak. Right now, there is an absolutely box stock Glock 19 with factory night sights on my hip in a Blade-Tech holster loaded with 115gr Gold Dot +p+ ammo. It is approaching the 3,000 round mark without a single glitch. Glock Perfection? Nope, it's too ugly for that. :D But damned if it doesn't work!!

rich52us
August 21, 2006, 12:20 PM
I've had a Glock 17 since Feb., 1987. The only failures I had have been due to ammo failures, a squib round here and there. No failures on the part of the pistol. I've put several thousand rounds through it.

the naked prophet
August 21, 2006, 02:19 PM
Glock Perfection? Nope, it's too ugly for that. But damned if it doesn't work!!

I'll agree to that statement! My Browning Hi-Power has worked flawlessly (except for some defective mags I bought cheap - all factory mags now!) but it's just so darn heavy! If they made a Hi-Power with a polymer frame, but that looked just like the steel frame version, I'd be happy especially if it used double stack .40 mags instead of the quasi-double stack.

GRP
August 21, 2006, 08:12 PM
I have a G19 that has been flawless. Maybe it's just me but I realy like the looks of my Glock. I have a pimped out 1911 and a Sig, but the Glock has the "I'm the professional and I'm here only for business look". No Armani suits, no rolexes, just a sweatshirt and levis.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d166/brittanyman/Glock.jpg

Glock_10mm
August 21, 2006, 09:44 PM
I had one rd jam on my once in my G19. I ejected it, looked at it and the hollowpoint must have been smashed prior to the shooting because the bullet was an oval. Only time in a glock, but would have done it in any gun!

fastbolt
August 22, 2006, 02:44 AM
Short answer ... Yes.

Parts (including springs) age and can become worn, weakened, damaged, broken, etc., etc..

The pistol doesn't operate in a vacuum, either. Two critical influences on the proper operation and functioning of a semiauto pistol are the individual shooter and the ammunition used ... both of which are pretty much beyond the control of the manufacturer once the pistol leaves the factory.

First feeding/functioning problem I ever experienced with a Glock was back when they were brand new. It occurred with fresh W-W 115gr STHP ammunition I'd just bought to use in a range's rental G17. Several feeding problems occurred within that 50-round box. I suspected lack of lubrication and weakened magazine springs. It was a well used rental gun, after all. I also recall the range staff telling me that they had already had a broken trigger spring in that particular G17 ... but like I said, Glocks were rather new and interesting at the time, and it had been well used by folks who undoubtedly treated it like the rental gun it was ...

evan price
August 22, 2006, 03:56 AM
Never jammed a 9mm Glock.

But My First Glock (& My First Semiauto!) was a Model 21. The very first round I fired out of it stovepiped. (I limp wristed it). Since then I have never had any sort of jams out of my Glocks. Or Sigs. Or XDs.

RustyShackelford
August 22, 2006, 04:13 AM
Many years ago I shot a Glock .45/model 21 on a rental range that had a few jams. I think it was because the Glock was dirty and I shot reloaded .45acp rounds.

RS

armoredman
August 22, 2006, 11:32 AM
Yes, with various G19s and G17s, FTF, FTE, and even magazines dropping out by themselves.

Rokman
August 22, 2006, 12:52 PM
My Glock 17 and 23 have had no stoppages through several thousand rounds fired. My Glock 26 had several stoppages, but due to reloaded ammo. No problems with factory ammo.

ccw007
August 22, 2006, 05:29 PM
I had a Glock 19 that was very picky when it came to ammo. What it would shoot it would shoot well.

another okie
August 22, 2006, 09:13 PM
I'm up to about 15,000 rounds now on my 17 with no jams or failures of any kind, but I did have a couple of failures with my 26 when using Remington Ballisticlean, a lightly loaded "green" ammo.

Blacklabman
August 22, 2006, 10:28 PM
Two G17's for USPSA 9k+ round count between them... flawlwess.
Two G23's. 2k between them.... flawless
G26- 700 rounds. flawless.

They do not need it, but I replace the springs at 3k. New magazines are purchased every six months. The old ones are kept, and go in the safe.

TaxPhd
August 23, 2006, 03:17 PM
Go watch a GSSF match to see many Glock 9mm malfunctions. A little time at the armorers tens will reveal many breakages.

Plink
August 23, 2006, 11:12 PM
Best way to find out is ask gunsmiths who work on a lot of different models. They'll tell you that Glocks malfunction too, just like the others. Most good quality guns are quite reliable though, Glock included. Perfect they're not, but none of the others are either. Now if only they'd do away with all the corners and edges.

erict
August 24, 2006, 02:46 PM
I have a Sig 239 in 9mm that has had several thousand rounds through it without a single failure.

Zerstoerer
August 24, 2006, 03:34 PM
No failures ever with my G19.

Right after the G26 came out, I observed a failure during a CC class.
Not only did it fail to fire but completely seized up.

Only brute force let the slide come back and disassembly showed the metal plate that separated the larger diameter spring jump over the smaller one jamming the action.

I avoid any gun which does not a single recoil spring since then.

Oregongundude
August 24, 2006, 03:41 PM
I have fired about 10,000 throught my Glock 17 9 mm never a jam that I can recall.

:)

das028
August 24, 2006, 03:53 PM
Once in about 5,000 rounds, with my G19. Happen on the second mag I ever shot out of it too.

Master Blaster
August 24, 2006, 03:57 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=106015

Yes I have pictures included. It was caused by a Magazine follower problem and has not recurred in 3000 rounds or so since.

theblaze
August 24, 2006, 10:41 PM
Yes.
I can jam my G19 and G17 at will by limp wristing them. It is easiest with standard pressure ammo, and harder, but not impossible with +p and +p+.
My G22 is similiar to the 9mm with +ps, difficult to limp wrist jam, but not impossible.
My G24 has many malfs when I shoot it with the Surefire X200 light attached. It has FTFeed with the round hitting the bottom of the feed ramp. This continues even now after Glock replaced the frame (upgrade) to Gen 3 style. It happens with 40S&W and with a replacement Jarvis 357Sig barrel as well, oh well!
For the record, all guns jam. Just a question of how often(really good ones will be 1/1,000,000 and will jam due to a broken part). I've seen the ultra reliable HKP7 jam. My ultra reliable Beretta 92 will jam with 3D brand 115gr LRN. I think I swallowed my gum:what: when my Sig 226 jammed in the hands of an 80+ year old WWII vet. (I had heretofore thought that gun unjammable)
Finally, in 1994, my stone cold reliable(many thousands of rounds) G19 jammed at the range in the hands of my sister. Stunned, I examined the scene. She had loaded a round into the magazine backwards! Well, that would do it!

To Glock's credit, a few years ago a friend of mine shot a 40 round CCW qualifier with his G32. Confounded by the poor accuracy he got(he is a crack shot), it became clear when he picked up the brass and it looked like straight wall 40 rather than the funny bottleneck 357Sig it had started out as. Yup, he had the 40S&W replacement barrel in the gun! The Glock had worked fine thru it all! He qualified...

Glocks aren't perfect, but God has forgiven them, and He now carries one!
Blaze

August 24, 2006, 11:32 PM
Some time in the last year I took a Glock Armor's course. It wasn't THE real factory Glock Armor's course but it was taught by a certified Glock Armor who works as a gunsmith full time and teaches gunsmithing at a community college.
Anyway, the whole "Glock Perfection" thing really ticks this guy off. He has worked on plenty of them in his gunsmithing career. But in one portion of the class, he goes through all the upgraded parts that Glock has come out with over the years to correct problem areas that have been discovered over the years. You can see pictures of them (the new vs. the old parts) in any of the Glock Armor's books. The instructor said, if these things are perfect why do they need to be upgraded with new parts designs by the factory ? :what:

FWIW, I have a 1st generation Glock 17 that I have been shooting a fair amount that had all the original Glock parts in it. Never had a problem. I upgraded to all the "new" parts after taking this class just for the heck of it. Still no problems (I should say, no major problems. I have had the occasional malfunction. It might have been a magazine, dirty gun, bad ammo or whatever but a malfuction occured).
I saw a demonstration by a group of Frontsight instructors during a class I was taking there. They are really big on having their instructors demonstrate techniques live in front of the class in real time. They only fired about 5-10 rounds in this drill, and of all the times for this to happen, one of the instructors had a Type III malfunction in the middle of the drill in front of about 60 students. FWIW, she cleared it immediately and perfectly and kept right on shooting.

kevin387
August 25, 2006, 12:22 AM
yes operator error

pete f
August 25, 2006, 02:58 AM
I had a 19 go full auto.

It was a loaner from the rep trying to get me to buy one at "glock days" at a local gun shop, first shot was fine, second shot was dump the whole magazine down range. The Glock guy yelled at me what the hell did I do, I said you try it, HE slammed a mag in it and slingshotted the slide and it went bangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbang till it was empty. Apparently that was one of the early ones that did not have the redesigned firing pin. It had broken and was lodged in the opening of the slide. I believe they have had 4 generations of firing pin designs.

I was at the range last year and a MPLS cop has his off duty 23, go kaboom, factory ammo, no lead, just gold dots, blew the slide off the frame. He got a new gun for free from Glock.

google Glock KB or glock Kaboom

GregGry
August 25, 2006, 05:50 AM
A friend of mine owns a g19 3rdG. She can make it fail to feed and stove pipe for 6 rounds in a row then hand the gun to me, I fire 3 rounds through it without any problems. After I fire it I can hand it back to her and every remaining round will fail to extract or feed. I think its because she limp wrists it, but needless to say I was worried something was broken with the gun prior to shooting it myself. I know that she didn't have any problems with a couple other pistols. Something about the glock just doesn't work for her. I think it might actually work better for her with hotter ammo.

artech
August 25, 2006, 11:28 PM
Yup, I busted an ejector in a first model G17 and had a bad batch of reloads repeatedly jam a G19. As I recall, the ejector fix was about six bucks and the reloads got flung downrange, but not by the Glock. Also had some ammo trouble with a G23, again, not the gun's fault.

Anything will jam if it breaks or gets fed garbage.:scrutiny:

Currently have a G32 and use quality ammo. No problems.:D

T209
August 10, 2009, 08:11 PM
I had several FTF with my G17 yesterday. It was very shocking. I put 125 rounds through the gun and it heated up real good. I had 5 clips fully loaded so I put them through pretty quickly. One of the clips had hollowpoints in it and went I used them up the gun had smoke coming out of it at the back. I had never seen it do that before. The bullets were given to me by somebody to use up. They had been in old metal clips that had been stored in cosmoline. The cosmoline was removed with only a cloth so I'm thinking that maybe some of it got on the bullets and when the gun heated up the cosmoline on the bullets melted which caused the FTSs. What are your thoughts on this? The other thing is that I didn't clean the Glock for a long time and it looks pretty bad inside. I guess that could be another reason for the FTFs. I read though that Glocks don't malfunction even if they're not cleaned for a long time.

The Lone Haranguer
August 10, 2009, 08:56 PM
No mechanical device is perfect.

My own G19 was 100% reliable with FMJ ammo but would fail to feed the last round of hollowpoints at first due to faulty magazine followers. Glock replaced these with a new design and it has been reliable since. I have had a few very sporadic failures to eject, usually (not always) with WWB ammo. I think this is more a fault of the ammo - which is known to be a little weak - than the gun itself. I have never had a failure to feed, fire or extract that I can recall. It also had one disabling breakage - the spring holding the slide takedown tab broke, allowing the tab to fall out and the slide fly off the front of the frame, landing in the dirt with the barrel and recoil spring still attached. This has been replaced with a new design spring, and an extended takedown tab while I was at it.

sammy
August 10, 2009, 09:10 PM
I have had about 4 fail to feeds with my G34. After putting a heavier (22# Wolf) recoil spring in my G20 in an attempt to keep the brass from going into orbit I got several double feeds and failure to feeds. With the stock spring it feeds flawlessly. Nedless to say I tossed the aftermarket spring and lose about 50% of my brass.

The Lone Haranguer
August 10, 2009, 09:43 PM
"Perfection" is a bit hyperbolic and should not be taken literally. ;) Nevertheless, 9mm Glocks are extremely reliable and durable. Even their detractors usually concede these points.

Steve C
August 10, 2009, 10:27 PM
i've had my Glock 19 for 21 years and have had a few malfunctions. Original problem developed soon after I first bought it and it would double (fire 2 shots with one trigger pull) after which it would not reset without hand cycling the action. Was sent to Glock and they repaired it.

Worked fine for 10 years and many thousands of rounds until Glock had a "factory upgrade" to stainless parts for free at a major gun store. Glock reps replaced the parts and the problem soon reappeared. Took it to the Glockmeister and he fixed the problem and upgraded the action for me. He said it was caused by sloppy armorer not checking the installation and using the correctly adjusted part which allowed the striker to slip from the sear bar. Since then its functioned perfectly again for many thousands of rounds with only an occasional ammo related stoppage. This reinforced my belief in "do not to fix things that are not broke". Every once in a while you have to relearn old lessons.

After 11 years of use the original magazines began to fail to lock back the slide after the last round. Rebuilt them with new springs and followers and they still work fine now.

Dr_2_B
August 10, 2009, 10:34 PM
I had some with my 1991 first gen G17. Sent it back & it's been fine since.

rs999
August 11, 2009, 09:56 AM
Yes, I have jammed a G17 but only with the Blazer CCI aluminum Wal-Mart specials.

M2 Carbine
August 11, 2009, 07:28 PM
Yes.
The things just don't like me. Just about every time I'm around them they jam.
A friend (an experienced shooter) had so much trouble with a new G17 that he tried to give it to me. I wouldn't accept it. Recently he tried to give me a G26. After shooting it a few days I insisted that he take it back. It didn't malfunction, I just didn't like the gun.

A couple days ago on my range a friend ran through about 150 rounds in a G17. I think it only jammed feeding once, so it wasn't a bad day.:D

Drgong
August 11, 2009, 10:10 PM
First time I picked up a glock, I fired 10 rounds though it, and 3 of them jammed. I know that I must of had a bad gun or something.

Sapper771
August 11, 2009, 11:09 PM
I have saw one 9mm Glock jam and it was because the shooter didnt have a strong enough grip on it. When they shot it , it jammed every round. When the other five of us shot it , it shot great.

jakemccoy
August 11, 2009, 11:54 PM
I jammed a G26 the first time I shot it. The jam was due completely to operator error. I haven't jammed a 9mm Glock since. I own a G27 though.

boldkharma
August 12, 2009, 12:30 AM
Only one in many, many rounds through glocks. It was a deformed and dirty wolf cartridge. I have seen my neighbor's daughter stove pipe my G-17 on three different occassions (limp wrist).;)

m2steven
August 12, 2009, 12:56 AM
Several thousand rounds in my G26 and no failures of any type. Also, zero failures in my S&W 1911, nor in my CZ75, nor my Ruger SR9. At least a grand or better through those and they are fairly new. My new Taurus 92 is Also perfect. I attribute that to reading this forum and a few others and taking good advice.

I keep them all clean, at least cleaned after every shooting of more than a magazine full.

Ben86
August 12, 2009, 02:03 AM
Nope no malfunctions here. However just like any auto pistol they are not above malfunctions. They just have a lot less. :)

Most jamming is either bad mags or sissy wrists.

TheEngineer
August 12, 2009, 03:10 AM
After about 600 rounds the slide of my 30SF cut a gouge in the trigger bar so deep that it binds up and won't return to battery. FWIW, it had been flawless up until that point.

SwampWolf
August 17, 2009, 05:23 PM
FWIW, it had been flawless up until that point.

Well, after only 600 rounds it sure should have been.

Glocks are, no doubt, great pistols. But an awful lot of people are quick to excuse a poor performing pistol (not just Glocks) by attributing failures to other supposed causes-limpwristing, dirty or damaged magazines, poor cleaning/lubication practices, ammunition related failures, insufficient break-in, springs out of spec, etc. Whereas it's probably true that one or more of these factors are, in fact, the cause of most pistol malfunctions, sometimes the pistol itself is at fault and the owner who refuses to acknowledge same is only fooling himself. As others have pointed out, just like people, no gun is perfect. Oops, I forgot about the "Annointed One"...:uhoh:

HardShell
August 17, 2009, 05:32 PM
I own more than a dozen of them and I can honestly say that I've never had a malf in any of the 9mm ones that I could attribute to the gun alone. (I can't say that about the .45 Glocks, but I own more of the 9mms and shoot them far more than the others.)

I've owned most of the major players in full-size semi-autos over the years and I don't feel like I'm out on a limb saying that my 9mm Glocks have been the least problematic of all, even though I am quite fond of several other platforms that I own and shoot.

Philo_Beddoe
August 18, 2009, 02:02 AM
I had a G17 that would stovepipe about 2 times per 50 rounds.

CPshooter
August 18, 2009, 02:58 AM
Yes. My most recent Glock purchase (a brand new 3rd gen Glock 19) stovepipe jammed regularly. I'd like to believe that it was just my grip, but I used to have a Glock 19 a few years back (also 3rd gen) and I couldn't get that one to jam if I wanted to. I never figured out what was causing it because I sold it immediately after I decided it was unreliable. Because of that incident, I've been scared to buy another Glock. (Although a Glock 23 is still tempting just for the sheer firepower to weight/size ratio it offers)

stillaftermath
August 18, 2009, 10:35 AM
My only personal failure is with my dad's G17L, cut-out slide, stamped with "Brigada Antiterrorista" on the side. That particular gun will FTF the very last round out of all but brand new magazines. Never a stove-pipe or jam or anything, it just closes on an empty chamber with the round still in the mag. Interesting, but not really a show-stopper. Besides that, it's honestly one of the most fantastic shooters I've used in recent times, so I'll gladly forgive it.

My personal Glocks have had zero malfunctions that I know of, of any kind, with several thousand rounds through each.

I've never experienced a jam or stovepipe. Of course, as most others have said, all guns are machines, and all machines eventually fail.

Glocks are very reliable. They're not absolutely reliable.

jmorris
August 18, 2009, 10:51 AM
Yes, I have some that have yet to malfunction but every machine will fail sooner or later.

outerlimit
August 18, 2009, 11:09 AM
If you get a malformed piece of ammo, your gun will jam period.

Most Glocks, like every other gun, have jammed at one point or another. But getting their owners to admit it is quite another thing. :rolleyes:

Dobe
August 18, 2009, 01:44 PM
I just finished a matched Sunday, and watched a Glock jam twice. If anyone tells you their handgun will not jam, they just haven't shot it enough.

Drgong
August 18, 2009, 02:43 PM
The one time I fired a Glock I had three failures in about 9-10 rounds.

sarduy
August 19, 2009, 01:28 AM
Most freguent malfunction with sub/gun is a type #2 (stovepipe) and normally caused by the operator failing to utilize an aggressive enough grip, thus causing the stoppage.

+1 :evil:

It's a handgun not an ice cream cup.

Loanshark
August 19, 2009, 01:57 PM
My G19 jammed on it's first range trip. It hadn't been cleaned, just loaded and fired, over and over.:evil: Finally it got pretty hot and jammo... I doubt it will ever happen again.

mljdeckard
August 19, 2009, 10:32 PM
Only from bad ammo. I can say the same thing about my Kimber 1911.

GForceLizard
August 20, 2009, 12:56 PM
I own a G17 Jan'09 and a G19 even newer. In the first 1000 rounds I only had 1 FTF and that was because I was loosing the grip on the gun and the slide hit my weak hand thumb. That shouldn't count, operator failure not gun problem. Now I keep my thumb forward and gripping, not up like the Fonz. It feeds eveything; Federal HP, Federal round nose, Federal flat nose, Speer flat nose, Magtech, Sellier & Belliot, PMC, ...

ScareyH22A
August 20, 2009, 05:22 PM
If you haven't seen a Glock fail, you probably haven't been around them very long.

If you enjoyed reading about "Has anyone ever had a jam with a 9mm Glock?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!