.22 LR: Best deal going?

PDA

Coronach
August 20, 2006, 11:45 PM
Anyone know where the best deal on decent .22 LR plinking ammo is? My .22 upper for my AR just ripped through my ammo reserves. God, what a fun little toy. I'm not averse to picking up someplace, but mail order is always nice. I'm looking to get at least 5k rounds.

Thanks,

Mike

If you enjoyed reading about ".22 LR: Best deal going?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
_N4Z_
August 20, 2006, 11:53 PM
Federal 510 is good, accurate, cheap plinkin' .22LR

Sometimes on a good day it's accuracy can rival WolfMT out of my Marlin 925.

500 rounds for 8 bucks at Academy Sports. Slightly more expensive at Atwoods. Surely someone online is selling the stuff too.

rangerruck
August 21, 2006, 12:46 AM
you should be abel to get a brick of cci or federal at a Carter's country or academy for about 8 bucks, any day of the week.

Diomed
August 21, 2006, 04:54 AM
you should be abel to get a brick of cci or federal at a Carter's country or academy for about 8 bucks, any day of the week.

D'oh! I bought a brick of CCI standards at the local rip-off-atorium for $15. I had no idea I was getting hosed so bad. That's what I get for not paying attention to rimfire prices.

Not sure who around here is going to be any cheaper though...

greener
August 21, 2006, 08:03 AM
I didn't see the link to CCI standard velocity. Where is it. My rimfire pistols seem to be a bit more accurate with this.

Best deal on Federal seems to be Walmart if you are looking for plinking ammo: $8.96 for a box of 550 rounds. Generally pretty reliable and few problems.

DMK
August 21, 2006, 11:42 AM
I've also been using the Federal 550 round bulk packs at Walmart. Probably not as accurate as the lead 510s, but pretty good for plinkng ammo.

I got them for just under $9 a box a few weeks ago, but the guy said the price was going up soon.

ArmedBear
August 21, 2006, 12:42 PM
I've had great luck with Remington Golden Bullet 550 round boxes at Wal-Mart. Around $10, I think, maybe less.

Some don't like them, but they work for me. Accuracy and reliability are up there with any .22LR non-match ammo I've tried.

PMC Sidewinders and Scoremasters have served me well, also, but they're unplated lead, so some guns don't like 'em. Scoremasters are cool if you want a lot of target practice; budget near-match ammo for a plinker price.

Firehand
August 21, 2006, 03:33 PM
For general plinking I've been using Federal Champion from Academy, about $7.90/brick. Found a local store that still carries the Federal Lightning at about the same price. It's the best price I've found for .22s, and it's good ammo.

CZguy
August 21, 2006, 07:06 PM
I like both of the bulk packed ammo at Wal-Mart. Federal is $8.00 a brick and Remington is $11.00 a brick, both 550 rounds ea.

The Federal seems to be a little hotter than the Remington lately. I guess it depends on what kind of plinking you are doing.

JustsayMo
August 21, 2006, 11:42 PM
Another vote here for the wally world Fedral bulk. I've never had a misfire, shoots way better than it should for the price and it shoots well in most of my rimfires. Most of my semi autos and leverguns shoot this ammo as well as any.
It also chronies faster than CCI Mini mags in most of my rimfires.

Another good deal is the Aquila SE subsonic. Shoots almost as good as the RWS ammo for half the price.

My CZ prefers the RWS and shoots tiny groups. Great for the ego but as a price.

NMshooter
August 22, 2006, 09:33 PM
When I could get PMC Zapper cheap it was my favorite.

Then it was Winchester Super-X.

Then Winchester Dynapoints.

Currently it is Remington Golden Bullets.

Whatever is cheap, reliable, and copper plated.

I need to get a couple more magazines for my AR-15 .22LR kit...

Oldnamvet
August 22, 2006, 11:31 PM
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31

Go on over here to get some more answers to that question.

nitesite
August 23, 2006, 12:25 AM
I agree with the Federal bulk packs since you specifically asked for plinking ammo.

For $1.90/50 you can always go with the Winchester T-22 round, which is excellent and very accurate/consistent and has always shown reliable extraction in my guns. http://www.championshooters.com/start.html

nitesite
August 24, 2006, 12:44 AM
to "Threadkiller" or something similar..............

I was anxious to read more replies for my own benefit.

1 old 0311
August 24, 2006, 07:22 AM
www.natchezss.com has Remington Thunderbolt for .99 cents a box. Good stuff.

taliv
August 24, 2006, 10:30 AM
sorry for the late reply coronach, but my last few non-walmart purchases of 22lr have been from ammunitionstore.com. best prices i've found, although they're higher now than they were when i bought.

Radjxf
August 24, 2006, 12:51 PM
Aren't you a dealer Coronach? You should be able to get all kinds of cheap ammo! I stay far, far away from Federal and espcially Remington bulk pack. I usually try to find the best deals on Win Powerpoints, CCI Mini-Mags, or about any other CCI ammo. Occasionally Bass Pro has some decent deals, just bought some Rem Yellow Jackets 500rds for 8 bucks.

larryw
August 24, 2006, 03:25 PM
I tend to agree with Radjxf. The bulk packs may be fine for a bolt gun, but I have too many FTFs (feed and/or fire) with that ammo to have fun with a shellschucker. And make sure the ammo has the oomph to cycle the action before you buy a ton of it (subsonic may equal single shot). Also, some unique bullet shapes may not feed in your gun (YellowJackets don't play well in my Ruger Mk II and Marvel 1911).

If you gotta go WW bulk, I say go Federal.

CCI is great ammo for the money; the rim is thick and that may cause battery problems in some guns.

40gr PowerPoints were my favorite, unfortunately Winchester stopped production last year (I can't find them anywhere).

Remington Thunderbolts are good, reliable, cheap (filthy-dirty) plinking ammo. But I'm not too concerned about the mess: I have a son to take care of that (and the lawns) for me. ;)

Online, I've had good luck with Midway (they sell wholesale w/ a FFL or C&R), and http://www.outdoormarksman.com is always a good bet.

http://www.jgsales.com/ is also good, but their selection is hit and miss.

Coronach
August 24, 2006, 05:52 PM
Aren't you a dealer Coronach?Nope. That's Corriea. We made our names similar in order to confuse people. ;)

Mike

Correia
September 5, 2006, 03:53 PM
Hey, I was born with mine. :)

If you enjoyed reading about ".22 LR: Best deal going?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!