Uni of Mass. "gun-toting" Minuteman mascot to go

PDA

Bruce in West Oz
May 8, 2003, 05:16 AM
Minuteman faces P.C. onslaught

05/07/2003

By RON CHIMELIS
Staff writer

AMHERST - Having stood up bravely to the British more than 200 years ago, the Minuteman is finding he may be no match for 21st century political correctness and marketing savvy at the University of Massachusetts.

By September, the UMass Gray Wolves men's and women's teams may be charging onto the field, while the gun-toting, single-gender Minuteman - a UMass symbol since 1972 - is sent to the showers for good.

Not since the arrow was removed from the pilgrim's hat on the Turnpike signs has such a debate raged over how the Colonial period is being portrayed in modern Massachusetts.

"Am I for the change? I'm for the process," UMass Athletic Director Ian J. McCaw said. That process began with the hiring of Phoenix Design Works of New York City, which introduced the Gray Wolves to eight focus groups involving 85 people.

The passion of the debate has not matched the levels reached in 1972, when the Minutemen nickname replaced the ethnically controversial Redmen name.

But there's no question the discussion level is growing.

"Gray Wolves would be unique in Division I college sports, and it's indigenous to the area," McCaw said. "The design company expressed some concern with the single-gender ethnicity of the Minuteman, and the fact he's carrying a firearm (in the logo) is also a concern."

McCaw said social and practical reasons exist for change. For one thing, the women's teams are called the Minutewomen, even though no colonial Minutewomen ever actually existed.

"In 1972, UMass had 15 men's teams and two women's teams," McCaw said. "Now we have 10 men's and 12 women's teams."

McCaw said the design experts are looking into using two different Gray Wolves logos. One would reflect an aggressive, ferocious animal, suitable for the competitive sports.

The other could be a more child-friendly and marketable animal mascot, which are very popular in sports.

According to Springfield Republican outdoors writer Frank Sousa, however, the portrayal of a cuddly wolf is ridiculous.

"Wolves attack only the sick, injured and helpless," said Sousa, one of the region's foremost outdoors spokesmen.

"Besides, the last gray wolf sighting around here was in the late 1890s, in a barrel outside Thompson's Clothing Store in Amherst after being shot in Northampton," Sousa said. "And those were skinned."

At that heart of this debate is this question: How important is this, really?

"Is (a change) absolutely necessary? Probably not," said UMass lacrosse player Cyndi Doyle, who says her team generally avoids using any nickname at all. "But it's better to be (socially) ahead than behind, and I think we're behind."

Doyle thinks the debate is being waged on geographic rather than gender grounds.

"The people most connected to the Minutemen seem to be Massachusetts residents," said Doyle, of Bridgewater, Vt.

She may be right.

"I think we need something historic," said Mike Warner, a hockey player from Waltham. "And obviously, the Minutemen are part of our history."

It's not obvious to everybody, though.

"To the rest of the country, it's a joke," said football quarterback Jeff Krohn, who transferred from Arizona State in 2002. "No one identifies with it."

Dumping the Minuteman, though, doesn't sit well with one member of an organization synonymous with his history.

"I think this gender-bias stuff has gone way overboard," said Lorinda A. Luce, regent of Northampton's Betty Allen Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution. "And as for the firearm issue, I support people having guns."

Phoenix Design's work is expected to cost UMass $10,000.

UMass is the nation's only college that calls its teams the Minutemen. Locally, changes have been made at Springfield College (Chiefs to Pride), Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts (Mohawks to Trailblazers) and a high school, Frontier Regional in South Deerfield (Redskins to Redhawks).

The Minuteman may be the next to go.

"Nobody wants something that looks too much like the UConn Husky," Krohn said. "But whatever they pick, I'm sure some people won't like it."

http://www.masslive.com/news/republican/index.ssf?/base/news-0/1052292610178622.xml

If you enjoyed reading about "Uni of Mass. "gun-toting" Minuteman mascot to go" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
2dogs
May 8, 2003, 06:25 AM
I'm for the process," UMass Athletic Director Ian J. McCaw said.

Anyone who uses the phrase "the process" needs to be horse whipped. After that, start in on those who say do it for "the children". :neener:

cuchulainn
May 8, 2003, 09:33 AM
single-gender ethnicity :confused:

TheEgg
May 8, 2003, 10:03 AM
single-gender ethnicity = white male = racist devil:scrutiny:

cuchulainn
May 8, 2003, 10:16 AM
Egg,

I know that's what he meant, but I just though it was bizzare to apply the adjective "single-gender" to the noun "ethnicity." The last time I checked, all ethnic groups had two sexes. ;)

Sometimes the syntax of the P.C. crowd is very Wonderland-like to me. I wonder if single-gender ethnic groups are brillig.

foghornl
May 8, 2003, 10:57 AM
A "Liberal Arts" college in a LIE-beral hell-hole of a state. What else should we have expected from the home of Ted "Where is my car, and my pregnant secretary? And no guns for thee." Kennedy.

Nightfall
May 8, 2003, 06:02 PM
A Revolutionary Minuteman with a musket as a mascot for a Massachusetts school?! Whatever will us right wing, redneck, racist idiots allow to sully the minds of the good folks of our schools next?! :rolleyes:

CZ-75
May 8, 2003, 06:16 PM
Where's jmbg29 to tell us what he thinks about Massachusetts? :D

"But it's better to be (socially) ahead than behind, and I think we're behind."

IOW, change for it's own sake?

Ludicrous.

"The design company expressed some concern with the single-gender ethnicity of the Minuteman, and the fact he's carrying a firearm (in the logo) is also a concern."

But don't anti-gunners always say that the 2nd gives you the right to own a musket? Here I was, thinking that Rosie and her ilk didn't have a problem with muskets.

:rolleyes:

I'm supposing that the next thing will be that the Revolutionary war was a "misunderstanding," and that, had a effective non-confrontational verbal conflict-resolution strategy been employed, where the parties could talk about their feelings, it never would've been fought. Furthermore, most of the combatants were estranged from their fathers, not held enough by their mothers, and potty trained at a late age. ;)

Sergeant Bob
May 8, 2003, 06:55 PM
Yet another attempt by Liberal scum to erase all non-PC history from our country. The Great Prophet Orwell predicted this.

WilderBill
May 8, 2003, 11:23 PM
OK, then how about "Minute Persons"???:D :D

Seriously, these are college students, professors and staff. They surely must know that those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it! :scrutiny:

(This, of course also applies to English, Government and Chemistry!) ;)

amprecon
May 8, 2003, 11:24 PM
So, they want to tear down a symbol of those brave young men whose selfless sacrifices under unimaginable conditions made it possible for those ingrates and the rest of us to live in peace in security.

They want to forget who made it possible for them to have the freedom to even consider discarding such an honorable mascot. Only to choose a replacement which is world renown for attacking in packs and targeting the youngest and weakest and ripping them open and devouring them whilst the prey still lives and breaths to experience a horrific death.

There's just something not right about liberals/democrats. Hypocracy runs rampant in their ranks.

moa
May 9, 2003, 06:20 PM
They could change the name to "Minute Rice". That name should not offend too many people except those who drive little, inexpensive, Asian foreign cars with lots of flakey geegaws installed like crappy ground effects, oversized tail-pipe noise makers and 20 decals. They might not like the "rice" connotation. :D

Mark Tyson
May 11, 2003, 09:36 PM
This PC thought police stuff is no longer even funny.

JMag
May 11, 2003, 09:48 PM
Typical Mass. PC puke! I wouldn't be surprised to see a statue of 'ole Ted Kennedy erected in its place...sad.

Hard to believe that many stupid sheep could migrate to a single state...

No offense to the two of you right-thinking Mass. citizens wherever you are...

Jim March
May 11, 2003, 09:57 PM
And you know what the REALLY sick part is?

The state of MA, population 6.4mil, has more CCW permits issued than California, pop. 35.5mil.

:fire:

If you enjoyed reading about "Uni of Mass. "gun-toting" Minuteman mascot to go" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!