Vintage 27-2 vs. Python?

PDA

ARTiger
August 22, 2006, 12:43 AM
Lately I've had a real desire for one of the classic vintage 6" .357's. All things being equal (both guns found as NIB, stored for years and in 100% condition - also about the same price) which would you pick?

This . . .
http://images.gunsamerica.com/upload/976742494-1.jpg

or this . . .
http://images.gunsamerica.com/upload/976731325-1.jpg

(These aren't the actual guns I am looking at buying, just found some fairly representative pics on the web.)

Have owned lots of S&W's, but never a 27 and only experience with DA Colt's is an old Police Positive and an Anaconda. I've always been a S&W fan, but for this, somehow the Colt really looks good to me.

Other than the fact I just plain want one of these, I think they are only going to get more costly and it's probably better to get one as soon as I can??

Would really appreciate opinions from you all on this.
Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Vintage 27-2 vs. Python?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
joneb
August 22, 2006, 12:50 AM
The Colt Python, it's a better gun.

XavierBreath
August 22, 2006, 12:56 AM
For shooting, I'd get the Smith. For having, I'd get the Colt.

The Pythons have just spiked in price after Colt announced no more to be made. You may still find a Python priced less than $800-1000, but it is going to get harder and harder.

Right now you can still find a nice six inch Model 27-2 with box and tools for $500 and change.

Neither will be going down in price, but the Python will level out before the Smith. If the Python is priced around $500-600 (as in similar to a Model 27), buy it quickly.

Bob R
August 22, 2006, 12:58 AM
That is a terrible delimma. As it is, I would get the Python. The asking price on these are climbing everyday. What is affordable today, may not be tomorrow.

Your chances of finding another S&W down the road to buy is probably a little better than finding a good example of the Colt.

YMMV

bob

knoxx45
August 22, 2006, 01:04 AM
Just kidding...

Seriously though, the Pythons are the finest production revolvers ever made, maybe, dare I say it, the BEST production guns ever made. The level of skill and care that went into them along with their surperb balance and smooth trigger places them beyond reproach. The other thing that is subjective, is that the Pyhton is also the best looking revolver ever made. I am surley biased, but after shooting one, or owning a few, how could I not be? The python is art in motion. It is functional perfectionism. It is a design that won hearts with its beauty, and minds with its grace. I cannot speak highly enough of this "Snake", for any efforts on my part would be disapointing. My only advice is to shoot one, and then you will believe.

zoom6zoom
August 22, 2006, 03:11 AM
C'mon, get 'em both. You know you wanna...

Slvr Surfr
August 22, 2006, 10:07 AM
Buy both............. if not Id get the Python, you wont regret it. Theyre becoming more and more rare. They are about the most "factory custom" of a revolver that can be had.

Ala Dan
August 22, 2006, 10:19 AM
I'd mortage the property, and get both~!:eek: :D :D :D

ARTiger
August 22, 2006, 10:31 AM
Seems most like the Python . . . so do I. While I'd love to get both, that would probably have me looking for a divorce lawyer soon after :eek:

Also see the logic in getting the Colt now because they are climbing in price faster and that chances of finding a nice Mod. 27 down the road are probably good anyhow.

So, new plan . . . get the Python now (it's $700 for a NIB 1966 model!!) then I'll start saving for the S&W. That will also give me time to find a better deal on the 27. The one I'm looking at now is $650 - it IS unfired however.

Thanks all for the input. I'll post some pics after I get it next week.

GUNKWAZY
August 22, 2006, 10:39 AM
So, new plan . . . get the Python now (it's $700 for a NIB 1966 model!!)

NIB vintage Python for only "7" bones.... No doubt about it. BUY IT !!!!
It's a easy $1000 gun at auction. EASY !!!
Heck, if you had to, you could sell the box for $100 and the grips for $200. You could keep the gun as a shooter for $400. Buy Buy buy !!!!

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

YodaVader
August 22, 2006, 10:51 AM
I agree , for $700 BUY IT NOW! I see a lot of the auctions on Pythons that start out higher than that. There would be many here who would buy it in heartbeat at that price!

sgt127
August 22, 2006, 11:12 AM
I actually prefer the trigger on a Smith. I have some of each. Given the choice, I prefer the trigger on one of my Model 27's over my Python. And, I prefer the trigger of my Model 18 Smith over my .22 Diamondback. Although my Diamondback was my first hand gun, I didn't own another Colt revolver for many years. I did almost all my shooting with Smith revolvers. If you offered me either of the listed guns as a shooter, I would take the Smith. As far as value down the road, I would go with the Python.

ACORN
August 22, 2006, 12:08 PM
IMO the Smith has a better trigger,and will hold up better under use. The Colt as others have also said, will probably be worth more down the road. As for the Colt being the "finest" ever produced, everyone has their own opinion. I don't share that one.

Iggy
August 22, 2006, 12:41 PM
Run! Do not walk!! Get the Python!!

I am a smith man myself, but only because I could never afford a Python.

PinnedAndRecessed
August 22, 2006, 12:45 PM
Yeah, you're right. I'd choose..........

BOTH!!

wundudnee
August 22, 2006, 01:00 PM
I must admit that I am slightly biased towards S&Ws. However the price is definitely right on the Python. You only have one choice. Buy them both, can you say "credit card?" It's called (creative financing). Seriously, finding a NIB 27-2 ain't going to get any easier.

Here is a picture of my only Colt, it's the one in the middle.;)
http://www.fototime.com/{9FE0FC4C-9D0F-400A-AF08-55BD788DBE4B}/picture.JPG

Snake Eyes
August 22, 2006, 01:04 PM
There is only ONE word in fine double action revolvers, and that word is Python.

(Although the 6" is my least favorite)

Congratulations. There will never be bluing like that again.

Zundfolge
August 22, 2006, 01:15 PM
For shooting, I'd get the Smith. For having, I'd get the Colt.
Thats the way I see it ... S&W still makes 6" .357mag revolvers, Colt does not (and at $700 its a steal).

There is only ONE word in fine double action revolvers, and that word is Python.
:scrutiny:
Money no object? Korth. There is no "ONE word" in fine double action revolvers. S&W revolvers (especially the older ones like the 27-2) are every bit as nice as a Python ... both are likely going to shoot better than I can shoot them.

You'll find another S&W 27-2 for that price in that shape (although it'll take some hunting I'm sure), you're not going to find another Python for that price in that shape ever ... I would bet that within the next year you won't even be able to buy a beat up Python for under a grand.

If you can swing it buy both :)

Snake Eyes
August 22, 2006, 01:31 PM
There is no "ONE word" in fine double action revolvers.

You have your opinion and I have mine-- the correct one.

:neener:

GUNKWAZY
August 22, 2006, 02:01 PM
C-mon Snake, go easy on 'em.
Some of us love Pythons and the others just won't admit it....:neener:

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

Bob R
August 22, 2006, 02:23 PM
Jeff,

A Python thread and no picturse!? You must be slipping!

bob

GUNKWAZY
August 22, 2006, 02:27 PM
Sorry Bob,
I'm on it !!!

http://members.aol.com/toykwazy/brightpythons.jpg

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

Cromlech
August 22, 2006, 04:08 PM
Stop taunting and tormenting me. :(

Deanimator
August 22, 2006, 04:28 PM
Depends upon what you want the gun for.

S&Ws will almost always have (or be capable of having) a MUCH better double action than Colts. That's just the way they're made.

On the other hand, there's just something beautiful about a Python.

I've got two Model 27s. I've passed up several opportunities to buy Pythons in the last seven years or so.

CSA 357
August 22, 2006, 06:04 PM
if you want a shooter get the 27, if you want a gun just to look at get the 27 and a picture of the python!:D i have 3 27s i had a 21/2 inch python one time never did realy learn to love it, traded ot for a n frame smith, *csa*

Jim March
August 22, 2006, 07:18 PM
You know...I'm going to tell you something, and I doubt y'all will believe me, but the finest DA trigger I've ever felt was on a range rental gun, stainless 6" barrel 357, that had had the living snot shot out of it. Thousands of rounds, years of range rental use with no work done on it whatsoever and the gun was tight, solid and laser accurate.

It was a Ruger GP100 "short shroud" 6".

I compared the trigger feel to an S&W performance center 8-shot 357, the 5" barrel slabsides. NO comparison. That damned Ruger was absolutely smooth as glass, no "hitch" at the end, no takeup stroke, not even a variance in pull weight through the stroke...just dead clean.

Heavy Barrel
August 22, 2006, 11:25 PM
The trigger on my 8" Python is what most can only dream about.

SaxonPig
August 22, 2006, 11:48 PM
One of the top FAQs (27 v. Python).

Both are the top of the line models from their makers. Both are deluxe. The Colts have been dropped and prices are outrageous. The good 27s are also out of print and rising fast.

Pick either and you'll be happy with it. Have both and experience true Nirvana.

I have 7 27s and only 2 Pythons so I guess I like the 27 a little better.

But the Colts shoot a little better. Here's a 25 yard group fired with a 6" Python made in the 1980s using full-power .357 ammo. A 6:00 hold was used and it shot about 1" to the left. So sue me.

http://www.fototime.com/AB7CECF844113D3/standard.jpg

GUNKWAZY
August 22, 2006, 11:51 PM
Nice shootin' there SP.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

Baba Louie
August 23, 2006, 07:11 AM
Looks like the Pig can shoot a little.

Eightball
August 23, 2006, 04:03 PM
From all i've heard, you can never go wrong with a Python. Get it, and you won't be sorry.

And yes, I love smiths, but I"d trade mine for a python.

Jody Johnson
August 23, 2006, 05:27 PM
Interesting dilemma....ideally, if you can, buy both. But, if you can't, determine your strongest reason for wanting one of these.

As an investment, a pretty stout argument can be made for the NIB Python, particularly in the 6" barrel. In the 27, the 6" as a standard production length was a "later" item and a special order on the older "vintage" guns. If the 27 was...as an example...a 3-1/2" NIB..it would, I'd suspect, give that Python a run for the money. The older 27's, in super condition, are good investments.

For shooting, in my experience, Pythons ( at least those that I've owned ) are quite accurate, with a good single action trigger and, depending on the gun, capable of having a fine DA as well. Of the 27's that I've had, all, but especially the older ones, were slick and accurate. However, there are those who will tell ya' that the Colt mechanism is a bit more delicate than that of the Smith and thus perhaps less durable under extensive use. If you're gonna shoot DA much the torque of the cylinder rotation may be a factor...Colt's rotate clockwise and the Smith in the opposite direction, so if you get a chance, try a Colt or Smith and see what "fits you"...

Best of luck...you're lookin' at quality regardless of which you pick!

If you enjoyed reading about "Vintage 27-2 vs. Python?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!