Remington 7400 Barrel Nut Wrench

PDA

'Card
August 22, 2006, 01:48 AM
Brownells sells a Barrel Nut Wrench for Remington 7400's (http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=8872&title=REMINGTON+742%2c+4%2c+7400+WRENCH), but they want $27 bucks for it. I realize it's a handy-dandy little item and everything, but $27 bucks seems almost absurd for something that simple, and something I'll only use two or three times in a given year.

Can anyone suggest a cheaper alternative, or a work-around I could pull off with common gunsmithing tools?

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington 7400 Barrel Nut Wrench" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
fixyurgun
August 22, 2006, 10:17 AM
I made one by taking a file to a 3/4" open end wrench. didn't have to remove much metal, it works great. much cheaper than brownells. hope this helps,jim

'Card
August 22, 2006, 04:57 PM
Thanks a bunch, Jim. I'll give that a shot.

fixyurgun
August 29, 2006, 08:32 AM
I just got a 742 in this weekend that my home-made wrench won't fit! the outside of the jaws jam on the action bars. this morning i'm going to use a dremel to make the outside of the jaws match the shape of the brownells wrench.
I have used this wrench on about ten to fifteen 742s and 7400s it's worked fine. this one is an early 742 . will post a picture or diagram when i get the wrench readjusted. jim

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington 7400 Barrel Nut Wrench" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!