fun things to shoot?

PDA

grizz
August 22, 2006, 03:20 AM
What types of things do you shoot at for fun? Things that explode, etc.

I must say 3.5 inch mag turkey loads take care of pumpkins at 20 yards pretty well.

Anyone else have any ideas of fun things to shoot besides paper or animals?

If you enjoyed reading about "fun things to shoot?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dr.Rob
August 22, 2006, 03:24 AM
Animal crackers and a bb gun make for a lot of fun with the little ones... just don't eat up all the targets.

They are also biodegradeable.

airmonkey
August 22, 2006, 07:26 AM
pop cans/bottles filled with water with a high power rifle at about 100 yrds. fun watching them explode through the scope.

BoomBoom25
August 22, 2006, 08:09 AM
This one is a tuff one but if you havent tried it pretty much any kind of aerosal can spray paint, pam (the cooking spray), etc... is fun to with real guns and bb guns. If you like to do things like airmonkey suggested the only thing id suggest changing is by getting clear water bottles and filling them up with water and a lot of red food coloring it has a nice effect. Or you could get really creative and buy yourself some stuff to make ballistic gell. That would be pretty neat especially if you could find a human torso mold to mold the gell with.

Knotthead
August 22, 2006, 08:12 AM
When I was young I enjoyed shooting buckeyes (The ones growing on the tree behind the house, not those occasionally annoying people from Ohio.) with one of my father's .22s. Using hollow points made it a most entertaining way to pass the time. Remington Yellow Jackets seemed to work best.

jrfoxx
August 22, 2006, 09:31 AM
I took care of a non-working old laptop of mine a few weeks ago.I was a lot of fun :).Buttons flying everywhere, nice clean holes in the screen, etc.As a bit of advice, be sure to remove the battery pack first, the get REAL hot and start smoking when shot :) and the smoke is nasty and probly not good for you. (oops, lesson learned I guess :)). I keep the now disconnected, bullet riddled screen on my gun cabinet for fun, and as a warning to my other computers......

Action_Can_Do
August 22, 2006, 09:38 AM
Every now and then, my mother decides to get rid of a bunch of her dreadful romance novels. I'm happy to take them off her hands. They never know what hit em.

Legionnaire
August 22, 2006, 09:40 AM
Unopened Sam's Club soda cans, given a good shake. Even a .22 will make 'em jump, pop, and squirt. Large caliber hand guns simply make them explode.

If you want fun with precision, stick paintballs to a solid backstop and shoot them with BBs, .177 air pellets, or even .22 CBs. In the immortal words of OddBall (Kelly's Heroes), "They make pretty pictures."

Golf balls with .22s are also a hoot.

cuervo
August 22, 2006, 09:43 AM
One of the ranges I go to has a skeet range and a rifle range. I'll walk the skeet range and pick up any missed targets that didn't break and carry them over to the rifle range. Their bright color makes them a good target at longer ranges.

At shorter ranges (pistol) I'll use scrap pieces of 2x4.

With either one, you can keep using the remains of pieces you've hit and get smaller and smaller targets as you go.

Roadwild17
August 22, 2006, 10:06 AM
Have a friend throw shaken cans of coke, PULL lol it can get sticky.

jrou111
August 22, 2006, 10:20 AM
Hmm, I have been shooting 3/4" pvc pipe with my .22. It's very challenging and the target gets shorter and shorter.

Soak a head of cabbage overnight in water, shoot it with a .223 or larger and it explodes into coleslaw.

I like hitting larger (2 ltr. - 1 gal) bottles filled with water with 12ga slugs. They burst open (especially thin milk jugs) and give you about a 10 ft ball of mist.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b124/jrou111/shooting%203-18-06/PICT0024.jpg

I love shooting computer equipment. Can you tell which hard drive got hit with the slug? :D

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b124/jrou111/shooting%203-18-06/PICT0003.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b124/jrou111/shooting%203-18-06/PICT0008.jpg

Roadwild17
August 22, 2006, 10:24 AM
+1 on broken equipment, unfortuently, my last printer died when I was at college, it got a lovely round trip 1st class flight off the 3rd floor.

MrTwigg
August 22, 2006, 10:44 AM
I'm going to a car shoot this weekend ! :D :neener:

With machine guns ! :D :what: :D (Not mine tho.:( )

Chief 101
August 22, 2006, 10:48 AM
Don't forget to pickup your trash guys! :cool:

jrou111
August 22, 2006, 10:49 AM
At a landfill? :cool:

johnmcl
August 22, 2006, 11:19 AM
Hi all,

I'm conventional in what targets I shoot.

Not long ago I was watching the History Channel with a special on Exhibition Shooting. I just laughed hard watching Miculek absolutely incinerate a cabbage head with his honking big S&W 500. The other was watching Knapson, from the Bennelli team, shoot a box, which exploded and landed a rubber chicken in his outstretched hand after a 30 foot arc.

That looked like so much fun...

John

Justin
August 22, 2006, 11:25 AM
Prairie dogs.

I like to think of them as Mother Nature's Reactive Targets

NateG
August 22, 2006, 11:28 AM
tape 'em up to your target, and blast away. Hitting them with a .220 swift is fun :D

Oldtimer
August 22, 2006, 11:35 AM
I'm going to assume that you have a "proper" place to shoot "fun things". I don't think that any indoor (commercial) shooting range would want you to shoot at the list of things below!

1: Over-ripe fruit and out-of-date eggs
2: Just about any type of aerosol spray can, even if they're almost empty.
3: Plastic bottles filled with water, and add some food color for effect.
4: Cheap sodas, un-opened, and shaken beforehand.
5: Cardboard boxes or paper bags filled to capacity with shredded paper.
6: Balloons filled with either air or water.
7: Balloons filled with helium, and tethered to the ground with string (add some cheap powder substance....talcum?...for a puff of "smoke")
8: Full-sized cardboard cut-out prints of humans
(i.e., advertising cut-outs with actors or athletes)(Cut-out figures such as this used to be free, after having been used for display purposes in stores!)
9: Various sizes of mild steel plating, for use as "gong" targets (Not for close-in shooting! Be careful!)

Just DO NOT shoot glass items, unless you're "brain dead" and don't care about YOUR safety or the safety of others! Glass shards can be very vicious, even the smallest particles!

Lastly, whatever you shoot that isn't bio-degradable should be picked up and properly discarded. Flies, ants and other crawly critters will LOVE you if you shoot up fruits and eggs, but they will do "their" part by cleaning it all up! The steel plates for "gong" targets can be re-used for many years if you only shoot .22's and handgun rounds at them. Any target made out of wood, cardboard or paper can be left there for the "elements" to take care of them....or you can burn them in a SAFE fire pit. All plastic, tin, steel or aluminum targets should be "policed up" in a trash bag and properly discarded.....or taken to your local re-cycling center!

calzoom
August 22, 2006, 11:49 AM
My Wifes fave is the small V-8 cans, full of course, and those exploding targets you buy at the gunshows.

Her weapon of choice, A brace of Vaqueros w/300 gr JFP 45 LC. At 50 paces.

NOT ME..... I just watch her explode em. I do m-t pop cans in mud puddles at 3-5 paces.:o

Roadwild17
August 22, 2006, 11:51 AM
How about spend brass?

SLCDave
August 22, 2006, 11:58 AM
My wife used to work for a major produce distributor, so I got to shoot plenty of produce. By far, the best to shoot are pineapples. The little leafy tops shoot straight up in the air.

Frandy
August 22, 2006, 11:59 AM
I love shooting computer equipment...

FWIW:

Some of the stuff in monitors and computers is pretty toxic, including mercury, cadmium, PCBs. This stuff isn't supposed to go into landfills.

http://www.svtc.org/cleancc/pubs/sayno.htm

Of course, if you are shooting outside, you're already putting lead and such into the ground. Personally, I prefer fruits and veggies that are past the eatin' stage! :D

erict
August 22, 2006, 12:04 PM
I've shot an old Chevy Cavalier up before I had it hauled off.
also
an old motorcycle helmet
coke bottles with water
old doors from when I remodeled (fun with a 12ga.)
hardened bags of concrete that sat out too long
old rotten fruits and veggies (pumpkins apples, etc.)

I'm sure there's a few more but I can't think of them.

Cliff47
August 22, 2006, 12:13 PM
Have you ever considered charcoal briquettes? Cheap, biodegradable, and give a satisfying puff of black smoke when hit.

Lupinus
August 22, 2006, 12:21 PM
eggs, small zip locks of flour, clay pigions, fruit, milk jugs filled with soapy water, cartons of orange juice, floam http://www.buyfloam.com/?cid=132025, jugs of chocolate syrup, cans of hormel chili, cans of dinty more, cans of bushs baked beans, cans of beer, bottles of beer, bottles of ketchup, old computers, old cars, playdough, troll dolls and beani babies, and my two newest things containers of sour cream and cottage cheese.

Yes, I have way to much time on my hands :neener:

xMetal
August 22, 2006, 01:02 PM
While probably not the smartest thing in the world, shooting old batteries is quite entertaining. D batts hit with a .45 are pretty cool. The outer cases tend to split and fly off and the innards pop nicely.

There is that issue with the left over acid though... :o

jlbraun
August 22, 2006, 01:41 PM
Some people are suggesting shooting milk jugs filled with water. I say go one better - and FREEZE the jug of water before shooting it. 1 frozen milk jug + 1 3" magnum slug at 20 yards = shards of ice spraying in a 40 yard circle.

I also plink with a .22 pistol on 12ga casings and expended brass. Hit a 12ga casing in the metal base and it will fly about 15 yards. Good fun.

Lupinus
August 22, 2006, 01:45 PM
jl-
try a 30-30 into a tub of sour cream :evil:

lance22
August 22, 2006, 01:52 PM
Saturated toilet paper almost behaves like a clay medium when hit. Take a roll of toilet paper, let sit ovenight in a sixtheenth inch of water. Water will absorb evenly. NOTE: pouring water over the top will ruin the roll. You want the roll satutured, not dripping wet.

Shoot with your favorite defensive ammo, will not explode but will have very interesting cone shaped exit wound. If the roll has the proper, light saturation level the exit will look as you would expect shooting a brick of clay with a protruding lip surrounding the exit cavity. Very interesting and worth your time. Also works great with .22s.

Justin
August 22, 2006, 02:03 PM
Once upon a time a friend and I saved up a bunch of gallon milk jugs, filled them up with water, lined them up end-to-end and shot various hollowpoint rounds through them.

It was pretty cool recovering the expanded rounds, as well as seeing how many jugs a 9mm would go through.

rangerruck
August 22, 2006, 03:09 PM
take shotgunshells, and staple them vertically so the brass part is pointing straight up, and use a couple of staples , so that is really secure in your toprail.
usually , if you hit it with a fast 22 or fmj, the bullet will pass right through the plastic part, if you have it secured well to the top rail. It almost guarantees that you have to hit the top brass part only, to get it to flip out of it's staple hold. If you can hit the brass of a 410 at 50 or 100 yds, you got a pretty tight rifle there.

mindwip
August 22, 2006, 03:31 PM
Shooting a ballon (the ones that have weights attached to there strings) that is flying away(but not up) from you in the wind with a .22 is hard and fun.

Spent .22lr cases of ammo, those plastic boxs are fun to shoot.

Shooting a 1inch wide stick in 30 plus wind is fun,

BergaminoCAV
August 22, 2006, 03:35 PM
Pumpkins, Watermelons, bottles with water in them, cans, any thing that is able to make a mess!

Back when we were young and stupid in high school me, my brother, my cousin (who lives in the beginning of a 160 acre wooded lot), and a few buddys use to get a few 30 packs and go camping for the weekend, one weekend my buddy (who was killed in Iraq almost 2 years ago) found an old rusty truck in the the woods, that was fun to shoot at but probably wasnt safe! Now when we go hunting we pass and laugh at the old rusty beat up chevy with bullet holes, and after we are done and begin our journey back to my cousins house we all take a shot at the truck for our fallen brother. haha Its kind of stupid but it helps us remember the good times!

Clipper
August 22, 2006, 04:16 PM
I used to have a Browning BL-22 with a 4x scope that was death on spent 22 shell casings on the pistol range fence at 25 yards. When my wife would start knocking them down (and she very rarely missed), the guys with their target rifles would get a complex and leave...

C-grunt
August 22, 2006, 08:34 PM
A guy next to me at the range a few months ago had little green armymen taped to his target. He used a .22 and would shoot them at 25 yards. He called it his "Sniper practice.":D

EvisceratorSrB
August 22, 2006, 08:45 PM
Man I can't believe you guys havent thought of this. A 20 mph RC car is loads of fun at 100 yards. I used to be addicted to RC cars when I was a little kid, so I have about 5 of them. Unfortunately, the 3 we've tried are trashed :D How bout a nice "Bop-It", footballs (I hate the game), plastic containers filled with those red monkeys that you link up. Can of marbles. Paint is good. Although expensive, I just found some large containers of it.

American By Blood
August 22, 2006, 08:45 PM
I can't really be the first person to chime in with...

TANNERITE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tannerite)

Riz
August 22, 2006, 09:22 PM
I keep my eyes open for garage sales that have stuffed animals. I got my hands on a Barney doll once!!! :evil: That was very satisfying. I felt bad once when a little girl said "Mommy, why does that man want all my old stuffed animals?":evil:
My 1/2 cents
Riz

jrou111
August 22, 2006, 09:36 PM
I just came back from the dump...

Shot some expired eggs and sealed cup of ranch dressing.

Took out some more computer equipment.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b124/jrou111/shooting%208-22-06/PICT0238.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b124/jrou111/shooting%208-22-06/PICT0239.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b124/jrou111/shooting%208-22-06/PICT0240.jpg

Here is a small video clip of me shooting a 1 gallon water jug with 12ga slugs in my Benelli

http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b124/jrou111/shooting%208-22-06/?action=view&current=PICT0236.flv

SomeKid
August 22, 2006, 09:38 PM
I once found out in the woods some tresspassing SOB had left one of those little propane cans. a .22 made a small hole, and the remaining gasses made it shoot around like a jet.

Yah, reckless, but fun.

Eightball
August 22, 2006, 09:43 PM
Shot a car. At Knob Creek Range. Made it explode. Quite fun.

Nothing like an Mosin piercing the engine block.

Just about anything 3D is fun to shoot at.

MrTwigg
August 23, 2006, 12:25 AM
But evil computers still need killin' !

That's why I like bayonet's !

boilingleadbath
August 23, 2006, 01:11 AM
.22LR vs. chunks of ice cast in yogurt containers is fun, although I acctualy tend to use a bunch of 2" pipe segments more often - they are faster to use than those yogurt containers.

Random water containers and ground-fallen fruit are pretty good too.

Legionnaire
August 23, 2006, 08:31 AM
Any tin or steel can inverted and placed on top of a steel stake or fence post stuck in the ground. Great reactive target for .22s and air rifles, as they rattle around nicely, and you don't have to go set them up again. Good for kids, as different size cans at varying distances make for different levels of challenge. Fun and satisfying to empty a 10/20 magazine into a can, keeping it rattling.

Any type of spinner target. Steel gongs. An old cast iron frying pan works. But my preference, especially with kids, is reactive targets that jump/ring/rattle nicely ... that you DON'T have to set up again every time you hit it.

EddieCoyle
August 23, 2006, 09:37 AM
Bowling balls. Trust me, you gotta try it, but don't stand too close.

beardownwildcat
August 23, 2006, 07:36 PM
so i had a brief stint working at dillards and they were throwing away old mannequin tops, like the full size, 3d male mannequins without legs...i still have them sitting in my garage. i am thinking if you shoot them since they are hollow, they will shatter b/c they are kinda brittle on the outside. but if i buy some of that expanding insulation foam and fill them, i can blast away at those things for hours! nice for defensive drills i bet, and places sell those types of things for quite a bit. also, the night before you go shooting, have a get together of your buddies and buy a 30 pack (for me thats like me and two guys and its gone) and then you just save them all, in case you don't usually separate cans for recycling. yeah you may go shooting with a hangover, but you have all those targets :D

10-Ring
August 23, 2006, 09:18 PM
I like picking up a bag of onions or potatos. Also, filling up a 2 liter bottle w/ water & freezing makes for good times too. I like cheap and inexpensive :D

moewadle
August 24, 2006, 01:55 AM
I have not done this but a nephew and his friends occasionally freeze milk jugs and cartons full of water and say they make a great target for centerfire shooting. Again, like charcoal briquets, no harm to the environment by the ice. Moe

History Prof
August 24, 2006, 02:31 AM
I'm sure I mentioned this the last time this subject popped up but: TEXTBOOKS.

College professors get inundated with sample text books that publishers hope you will adopt. Then book buyers come around buying back the ones you don't need, but they won't buy the older editions. I can't use them (academically), the publishers and book buyers won't take them, students can't use them, the library doesn't want them and the used bookstores laugh at you if you try to trade them in. What else are they good for?:evil:

searcher6
August 24, 2006, 03:09 AM
I always wanted to try filling a metal 1 gallon gas can about half way with gasoline (room for vapor and still plenty of fuel) and floating it on a pond on a hot day and shooting it in the top half with a tracer bullet. I was curious if it would explode. Obviously, it would have to be a big pond with the tracer being in a rifle caliber (shot from far away). My friends think I'm nuts.

Nathan Williams
August 24, 2006, 03:30 AM
I like to save the little plastic boxes that the CCI .22 rounds come in. When I get enough I go down to an old dry creek bed bury them sticking up halfway out of the sand and use the for long range rifle practice. Its even better if you fill them with baking soda, flour, etc.

loki.fish
August 24, 2006, 04:47 AM
I've thought of something, but haven't tried it yet. Dunno if it'd be safe to shoot with a pistol, and don't think you'd get the perfect reaction with a rifle since you'd have to walk so far back before you shot it, but I'll tell you guys and see what you think of it.

I dunno if any of you have heard about/seen the videos of what happens when you put Mentos in Diet Coke (or generic, cheap version of it), shake it up, open the cap just a little then throw it on the ground. It's like a cheap rocket, the pressure shoots the bottle up in the air. Videos everywhere about it if you search YouTube for diet coke and mentos.

So my idea is, put a whole roll of Mentos in a 2 liter bottle of Diet Coke, shake it up, then shoot it once. I'm not sure if the reaction will be violent and unsafe for pistol shooting, so I haven't tried it.

airmonkey
August 24, 2006, 05:07 AM
loki i think i'm going to have to try that next time i'm at the range.:evil: :evil:

loki.fish
August 24, 2006, 06:09 AM
If you do, let me know how it reacts. I've been wanting to do it for a while, but my AR is the only thing that shoots far and I'm not a very good shot without a scope at long range. Hopefully it won't be too bad and I can use a pistol to do it.

Jubjub
August 24, 2006, 07:23 AM
For .22 plinking, I like to sit paintballs up on golf tees. Necco wafers are also good, and they are self adhesive. Lick one side, and they will stick to paper pretty well.

BJPZOO
August 24, 2006, 09:36 PM
Full cans of fix-a-flat are fun and 5 pound bags of flour with a .223 hollow point.:D

theotherrookieshooter
August 24, 2006, 09:40 PM
i shot a diet dr. pepper with just a pellet gun and it blew up pretty good, shaving cream or anything compressed in a can should be fun. also melons and other fruit is very satisfying.

Jac
August 24, 2006, 10:09 PM
Cheapest beer you can find... Went out the other day with some crap that was $4.99/12 pack.

12 gauge makes 'em disappear! :cool:

EmGeeGeorge
August 24, 2006, 10:46 PM
toasters... in the rain (magnesium in the coils of some of the older ones...)

Oldnamvet
August 24, 2006, 10:52 PM
When I was a kid, and gas was $0.18/gallon, we used to put a gallon can of gas out in a plowed field with a lit candle or two sitting on top. You know where this is going:what: ............. Hit at 100 yds with a .243 at night resulted in a few seconds of interesting fireworks. Done in my uncles field so clean up was done when the sun came up.

theotherrookieshooter
August 24, 2006, 11:07 PM
i shot a beer can at point blank and it was fun.

If you enjoyed reading about "fun things to shoot?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!