Kel Tec question

PDA

Ol` Joe
August 22, 2006, 12:11 PM
I shot my brother and sister-in-laws Kel Tec P3Ta`s (both carry them) this weekend and have a question for you guys that own them. The guns fired fine, no bobbles, were quite accurate at the 7 yd range we used, and recoil was no bother. The thing has a tendancy though to shift in my hand when I put the last bit of pressure on the trigger. The long pull won`t allow me to use the hold I am comfortable with and fire the pistol without my finger moveing on the trigger twisting my grip. This throws the shot to the side a bit. I can feel the gun move under my grip when this happens, it`s almost as if I have to pull the trigger partially and re grasp the gun to finish the shot.

Does anyone else have this problem?
Is there a easy fix?
Do you hold the pistol different from others (trigger finger placement?)
I like the pistol and am considering one to use when my Kimber is too big for my clothing but I don`t like this twisting........it might just have me looking else where for a bug.

If you enjoyed reading about "Kel Tec question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JDGray
August 22, 2006, 01:00 PM
Those little buggers take some time to get used to. I just bought a P11, because I can get all my fingers on it (w/grip extension) The P11 is by no means a pocket gun, but it conseals well in a IWB holster.

Azrael256
August 22, 2006, 01:16 PM
Try the P11. The grip is much easier to control, and it conceals well under very light clothing. Add in the belt clip and a $30 hard chrome job, and it will conceal under athletic shorts and an undershirt.

Whirlwind06
August 22, 2006, 01:23 PM
I found that a one handed grip work best for me with my P3AT. With a 2 hand grip the gun just got lost in my hands. Also you can put some skate board tape or a piece of inner tube around the grip.

Ol` Joe
August 22, 2006, 01:58 PM
Try the P11

I`m concidering this option.
The P3At has a lot going for it IMO but I`ve seen the PF9 ads and have been waiting the last 5-6 months for one to appear at my local Smiths. The wait is starting to wear on me though -gotta couple $$ burning a hole in my pocket:) - and after lisening to my brother the last year or two I`m thinking maybe I will pick up the 380 and worry about the PF9 when it, or if it finally comes around.

Bobo
August 22, 2006, 08:20 PM
I used three layers of 5/8" O.D. x 3/8" I.D. plastic tubing cut into 1/2" strips and glued together with Goop then placed along the backstrap, held on with a couple of layers of old bicycle tube. I have since changed the bicycle tube to a Pachmayr (or Hogue) slip-on grip because I like the finger notches.
I've heard others that used strips of computer mouse pad or other types of foam to build up the backstrap. Then used a slip-on grip to hold them in place.
This allows larger hands (longer fingers) to get more comfortable trigger pull.
The Bersa or NAA base plates on the magazines helps get a better grip also.
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a34/r_oremland/Self-Defense/06P2250023web.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a34/r_oremland/Self-Defense/06P1060001web.jpg

Azrael256
August 22, 2006, 11:29 PM
and after lisening to my brother the last year or two I`m thinking maybe I will pick up the 380 and worry about the PF9 when it, or if it finally comes around I think that kel-tec makes a fine product, and I am very happy with mine. I also think that you would do well to visit a store with a wide selection of small pistols and handle every one of them. A P3AT would probably do it, but don't limit yourself. There are a whole bunch of 'em out there.

280PLUS
August 23, 2006, 12:01 PM
Bobo...

What is the device mounted below the barrel on the front of youe KelTec? I'm guessing a light.

Ol` Joe
August 23, 2006, 12:16 PM
Bobo, Does the tire tube hinder your draw from your pocket or do your carry in a holster?

Bosko
August 23, 2006, 01:15 PM
Ol' Joe, May I recommend www.KTOG.org. There is a wealth of information here dealing with all Kel-Tec products. In the P3-AT section, all your questions about grip enhancements, magazine floorplates, sights, metal magazine catches, plating of the slide, fluff & buff, etc. will be answered. Hope this helps.

pete f
August 23, 2006, 01:46 PM
I had one, but it was so small that I had trouble holding it when i pulled the trigger too. it just never felt right in my hand. I finally broke down and spent the $$ on a beretta tomcat, the same size about but it fit me better, and that is my chin gun. bug to my bug.

pocketgun
August 23, 2006, 06:13 PM
The thing under the barrel is an ARMALASER (http://www.armalaser.com).

Bobo
August 23, 2006, 07:02 PM
Ol' Joe asked;Bobo, Does the tire tube hinder your draw from your pocket or do your carry in a holster?I don't normally pocket carry, I use a SmartCarry holster. When I occasionally put the gun in my pocket (as when I answer the door) my hand is around the grip so the rubber is not in contact with the cloth in my pocket - no problem drawing.

Ol` Joe
August 24, 2006, 01:50 AM
Thanks for the link to Kel Tecs web site. I will have to run a search or two there and see what they offer.

If you enjoyed reading about "Kel Tec question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!