Lots of Kansans Applying To Carry

PDA

kengrubb
August 23, 2006, 02:50 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/local/15329045.htm

Gun permits prove popular
There are waiting lists for the required training before the permits are issued Jan. 1.
By BENITA Y. WILLIAMS
The Kansas City Star

In less than two months, more than 900 people have applied to carry concealed guns in Kansas. More are expected.

As of Monday, the Johnson County Sheriff’s Office had received 270 concealed-carry applications.

“We’ve been getting hit with a lot,” said Lt. Dennis Hammer. “There have been days where it’s standing room only, and it’s getting a lot busier.”

The applications to carry concealed weapons became available July 1 at local sheriff’s offices and online at the Kansas attorney general’s Web site. Permits will not be issued until Jan. 1.

Jeff Howlett, owner of Kansas Firearms Specialties in Tonganoxie, which is in Leavenworth County, said he has a waiting list of people wanting to take the required training.

“We’ve been swamped,” Howlett said. “We’re booked through September.”

Howlett also said overall firearms sales are up.

“We’ve had to go to six days a week,” he said.

In Douglas County, the sheriff’s office has distributed more than 50 blank forms but received back fewer than a dozen completed applications.

“I’m not surprised,” Lt. Doug Woods said. “I think many of them just wanted to see what the form was all about.”

Chuck Sexson, the attorney general’s new director of concealed-carry services, said it was understandable that the state’s largest population centers, Johnson, Sedgwick and Shawnee counties, were producing the bulk of the applications. But he said his office has processed applications from throughout Kansas.

“It’s a pretty good cross-section of people,” he said.

Sexson said that of the 931 applications his office had received as of Monday, about 500 had been processed and more than 90 percent of those met the qualifications for a concealed-carry permit.

Some firearms dealers are noticing common characteristics among those looking to carry hidden weaponry.

Many are older than 40, and several already own firearms.

“We’re seeing a few new faces but not a night-and-day difference,” said Mike Malone, owner of the Olathe Gun Shop.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Application activity

Area concealed-carry applications as of Monday:

•Johnson County: 270

•Wyandotte County: 80

•Leavenworth County: 52

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About the law

Under the state’s new concealed-carry law, Kansans must apply for permits before they can carry concealed weapons.

•Who’s eligible: Kansas residents older than 21 without a criminal history or a record of multiple DUIs, drug arrests or domestic violence. Anyone involuntarily committed for mental illness or substance abuse treatment is disqualified for five years.

•What you do: Undergo training, apply for a permit, be fingerprinted and pay a $150 fee.

•What happens: County sheriffs take the applications, fingerprints and the fee. The Kansas Bureau of Investigation does a background check, and the attorney general’s office makes the final determination.

•Training: As of Monday, 291 trainers, including some in Missouri and Colorado, were certified to conduct classes for applicants. To locate a trainer and other information, visit www.ksag.org

If you enjoyed reading about "Lots of Kansans Applying To Carry" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
strambo
August 23, 2006, 02:54 AM
Only 900? Good to see another state with a tally in the
"I'm allowed self defense tools" category.

Autolycus
August 23, 2006, 03:13 AM
I wonder what would happen if IL went shall issue? I know a few of us would definately be in line. Anyways congrats to all of them for getting their applications in.

Robert J McElwain
August 24, 2006, 10:57 AM
I wonder what would happen if IL went shall issue? I know a few of us would definitely be in line. Anyways congrats to all of them for getting their applications in.

I'm fairly certain it is "Shall Issue". Anyway, I was one of the first to get my training certificate. Not I'm just waiting for the law to take effect in January and to receive my ticket.

Bob

RaetherEnt
August 24, 2006, 12:10 PM
I think the 900 number is very misleading...

I have several friends that teach the Kansas CCW class, and between the four of them, I have tallied that they alone have taught and passed almost 500 folks in the last few months. The State of Kansas isn't going to issue any permits before January 1, 2007 regardless of how soon anyone takes the class, so I think many people aren't rushing right now to get their paperwork in.

It will be interesting to see the number of people applying at the Sheriff's office come November, December...

I have a feeling the Johnson County office is going to be absolutely overwhelmed.

Robert J McElwain
August 24, 2006, 12:17 PM
I have a feeling the Johnson County office is going to be absolutely overwhelmed.

That's why I did mine in July. To avoid the rush. When I went to Olathe, there was one guy ahead of me. The deputy said it had been steady but no long lines. This was around July 18 and he said they'd processed around 220 then.

Bob

Robert J McElwain
August 24, 2006, 12:39 PM
There is another thread concerning Democrats in rural areas and gun issues that may be worth keeping in mind. Given that Kansas is largely rural, outside of Johnson County, Wichita, Topeka and Lawrence, my guess is an awful lot of Kansans have been carrying for years for plan old common sense reasons. They probably see little reason to put out $200-@300 to do what they've been doing all along.

Bob

Steve 48
August 24, 2006, 04:17 PM
As for western Kansas, I took training at the Outback in McPherson yesterday and went to the Sheriff's office today and I was the 1st one to apply and have all the paperwork done. There are others but the training is hard to find here. Steve 48

Aggie's Revenge
August 24, 2006, 04:20 PM
I am glad to know Kansas is finally doing this. Any idea what states Kansas will honor for CCW?

Its a pain in the a$$ that Kansas is the only state touching Oklahoma that you can't carry in.

eastwood44mag
August 24, 2006, 04:21 PM
Tecumseh-

Don't get my hopes up like that.

Robert J McElwain
August 24, 2006, 05:23 PM
I am glad to know Kansas is finally doing this. Any idea what states Kansas will honor for CCW?

Its a pain in the a$$ that Kansas is the only state touching Oklahoma that you can't carry in.

They're still working on that but it would be my guess that all States that have similar levels of qualification will be reciprocal.

So what is the thinking in some of the rural areas? Have a lot of Kansans been following common sense for a long time on this issue? I can't imagine that if I lived out in the vicinity of Colby or Oakley, that I'd not be carrying given the nonexistent value of 911 in a real emergency in a remote area.

Bob

If you enjoyed reading about "Lots of Kansans Applying To Carry" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!