Can you "uncompensate" a revolver?

PDA

johncross
August 23, 2006, 02:46 PM
Is it possible to somehow fill or cover the 3 little holes of a compensated 2 inch revolver so it will turn into a non compensated one?
Thanx

If you enjoyed reading about "Can you "uncompensate" a revolver?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sistema1927
August 23, 2006, 03:10 PM
Not sure if JB Weld is up to the job. :what:

I would think that the only way, while not cheap, is to re-barrel.

HankB
August 23, 2006, 04:04 PM
I'd be worried about JB Weld or epoxy plugs becoming projectiles in their own right, and coming out - unpredictably - with dangerous force on a random trajectory.

I suppose in theory the holes could be welded up and the bore-side burnished or EDM'd, but this would be more of an exercise - an EXPENSIVE exercise - in creative welding and machine work than anything practical.

Maybe a steel sleeve could be made to fit over the barrel?

I think a new barrel or new revolver would be more practical.

(Have you tried the handyman's secret weapon - duct tape? :neener: )

johncross
August 25, 2006, 04:23 PM
Thanks to all.
It sounds like too much trouble,and it might be dangereous also...
Unless the duct tape works Hank....:o

Brian D.
August 29, 2006, 03:10 PM
Have actually seen a pair of compensated Taurus .357 revolvers that the owner drilled and tapped the comp ports for small screws. These could be installed to use the pair in "Stock Gun" category, and removed to use the same guns in "Unlimited". This was at the long defunct Second Chance Combat Shoot. (The premiere Bowling Pin match of its day.)

I'd have to surmise that cleaning threaded ports would be even more tiresome than cleaning smooth ones!

Brian Williams
August 29, 2006, 03:19 PM
New barrel would be best, or a nose job and cut them off. I had a Taurus Tracker in 45 Colt and it would have been a great gun cut back to about 3.25 inches to get rid of the ports.

If you enjoyed reading about "Can you "uncompensate" a revolver?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!