Picking up rifle at ups.

PDA

FTF
August 23, 2006, 10:30 PM
I want to buy an SKS from SOG. My C&R has my address which is an apartment, so I would like to have it kept at the UPS hub instead of taking the day off to wait for it here.. I'll just go pick it up a day later or so.

Can I do that? Do I have to tell them it's a firearm or do they know? Does it even matter? It's not the USPS but it would be my luck someone will see a rifle shaped box and call the JBT's on me.

Anyone else do this? Comments? TIA. It's in a free-state btw.

If you enjoyed reading about "Picking up rifle at ups." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
George S.
August 23, 2006, 10:48 PM
Can you ask SOG to have Hold For Pickup placed on the package when they ship it?? It may be easier to do from their end. SOG can also provide you with the UPS tracking number and you could go to the UPS website and change the delivery to a hold for pickup.

My biggest gripe with UPS is that even though you (or the shipper) requests an in-person delivery signature, it doesn't always happen. Many UPS drivers don't give a rip about signatures at residential addresses because they know most won't be home when they come around and that means carrying around undelivered packages all day and having to haul them out again the next day.

A year ago, I bought about $1500 worth of tires and wheels for my Corvette and while the shipper put a signature required delivery on the order, the UPS guy simply stacked them up on my front porch in clear view from the street. They sat there all day until I found them when I got home from work. Got lucky on that one and when I found the UPS driver the next day, I ripped him a new one and went down to the distribution center and dumped on the Manager too.

But let them deliver to a business address, and the driver will almost always refuse to release a package without a signature regardless of whether or not it needs one. Go figure.

FTF
August 23, 2006, 10:54 PM
That is EXACTLY my concern. Not too long ago I had some alcoholic beverages :cool: shipped to my place. It had "adult signature required" in like 3 different places, and they still just dumped it in front of my door while i was gone. I don't really care so much but if it gets stolen I can't imagine the paperwork and general crap I'll have to endure.

I'll ask SOG about hold for pickup options. I could give a business address for the leasing office, but that would differ from that of the C&R. I need a house, lol!

railroader
August 23, 2006, 10:58 PM
UPS left a 357 revolver on my porch. It sat there all day:mad: Mark

StopTheGrays
August 24, 2006, 05:11 PM
Go to the hub and talk to the counter person. Ask them to have the driver do an attempt to deliver to your place and have the driver take the item back with him to the hub and hold it there for pick up. Get a direct number for the counter and call them once a delivery notice is stuck on your door.

YMMV with this. My UPS hub is very helpful I cannot speak for others.

AJ Dual
August 24, 2006, 05:18 PM
If you have a tracking number, you can set it as "hold for pickup" right on the UPS website.

EOD Guy
August 24, 2006, 05:54 PM
If you have a tracking number, you can set it as "hold for pickup" right on the UPS website.

I believe that you have to wait for at least one delivery attempt and then use the number on the notice to place the hold for pickup. That's what I had to do but it was several months ago. Procedures may have changed.

gezzer
August 24, 2006, 10:30 PM
They leave it and it is missing? Adult Signature required as per their rules. Have the sender report it to the ATF as stolen in interstate transfer. They take it very seriously.

I do not care if the idiot UPS driver is arrested or fired, in fact they should be on incompetence alone. I as an FFL holder, C&R and LLC Manufacture am held to that standard so should they.

SIOP
August 25, 2006, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Dual

I believe that you have to wait for at least one delivery attempt and then use the number on the notice to place the hold for pickup. That's what I had to do but it was several months ago. Procedures may have changed.

That is correct. UPS's contract is with the shipper, so either the shipper has to request the hold or UPS has to attempt one delivery prior to the receiver requesting a hold.

arkansashillbilly
August 25, 2006, 11:34 AM
Ordered an SKS from SOG several years ago while living in an apartment in a very questionable complex also ordered some ammo. Came home one day from work and there was a long box with a smaller box with an ORM-D decal and small arms ammo printed on the side right next the front door where UPS put it. I'm surprised some punk didn't borrow it and use it to persuade some of the old retirees in the complex to loan them some cash before I got home. Or the evil thing go out and do it on its own. :) Ordered some chrome for an old car off ebay once and had to sign for that though. No rhyme or reason to the rules I guess.

Prince Yamato
August 25, 2006, 12:37 PM
UPS will leave the package in the main office of your apartment complex if you're not there. If the package isn't marked GUNS GUNS GUNS. No one will know what it contains. So I wouldn't worry about it.

KenpoProfessor
August 26, 2006, 12:11 AM
Found my Cobra Patriot (had to have it because of the name LOL) .45 on my doorstep at my apt. one day a couple of weeks ago. BTW, Cobra has a great customer satisfaction policy. You may or may not like the guns but they stand behind them and will fix them, for free, even if you're not the original owner. Gun works great now and they threw in a 7rd mag for free as well.

BTW, if you're shipping a handgun or rifle to a manafacturer or FFL, you need not declare it as a gun. Cost me less than $5 to ship.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

If you enjoyed reading about "Picking up rifle at ups." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!