fanning Ruger SAA -- why a no-no?

PDA

Kaylee
May 8, 2003, 03:05 PM
So I've heard from some of my CAS-loving friends that the tanks have an Achilles heel.. fanning a Ruger SAA clone will bust it up but fast.

... but none of them can tell me why.

What is it *specifically* that breaks, and why? And is it that fanning is bad for ALL SAA, and that the weak spot seems extra bad on a weapon otherwise designed tough-tough?

Or is it something in the "New Model" design that actually can't handle that kind of operation? So then... will an old conventional SAA pattern (say a USFA or such) outlast a Ruger through this kind of use? :confused:

-K

If you enjoyed reading about "fanning Ruger SAA -- why a no-no?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim March
May 8, 2003, 03:42 PM
What I know for sure is that the gunsmiths converting Ruger New Models to "fanning capable" guns are ditching the transfer bar safety and going to a "must carry on an empty cylinder" setup.

Methinks that's a clue...

Dave T
May 8, 2003, 04:46 PM
It is very hard on the bolt, the bolt notches in the cylinder, the hand, the full cock notch of the hammer and the sear. It is also a very inaccurate way to shoot and makes you look like a TV watching amature. Other than that, there's nothing wrong with "fanning" as a technique.

PS: It's even harder on the original SAA style actions than on a Ruger. All the "Fast Draw" types I ever met built highly modified, custom guns on Rugers.

JohnKSa
May 8, 2003, 08:54 PM
It tears up pretty much any stock SA revolver.

If you want to fan, contact Bob Munden (that's right, the exhibition shooter) few know that he's also a great gunsmith. He can either modify yours, or sell you one that's already been tweaked to stand up to the the extra stress.

If you enjoyed reading about "fanning Ruger SAA -- why a no-no?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!