"I felt the bullet go through my hair..."

PDA

p35
May 8, 2003, 04:08 PM
I've heard the above statement made by numerous people who have been shot at. I suspect that what they are actually feeling is the pressure wave from the bullet's passage, especially if it was supersonic at the time. My question is, does anyone know how close the bullet has to come to a person in order for that feeling to occur?

If you enjoyed reading about ""I felt the bullet go through my hair..."" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
blades67
May 8, 2003, 04:30 PM
Are you asking to become a test subject?:scrutiny:

:neener:

QuarterBoreGunner
May 8, 2003, 04:42 PM
This is an interesting question.

Which I hope never to be able to answer.

spacemanspiff
May 8, 2003, 05:05 PM
captain ohagan: The bulletproof cup? I invented this gag, Mac. Only in my day, the rookie got naked. And we also used blanks.

what about that flyer?
i wouldnt worry about that little guy.

QuarterBoreGunner
May 8, 2003, 05:12 PM
spacemanspiff;

that has got to be the most cryptic post I have ever seen in a thread.

Devonai
May 8, 2003, 05:25 PM
Half of it would make a lot more sense if you had the FX channel.

Penforhire
May 8, 2003, 06:05 PM
I've had the same sensation with paintballs so I suspect it is purely psychological.

FYI, try playing in a large wooded area just by the light of a full moon (me --> scared witless) and you'll never want any taste of real combat. "Where the heck did THAT shot come from ?"

RANash
May 8, 2003, 06:10 PM
I understand, Pen. When I have played paintball, it made me realize what a short career I would have had as a soldier.

P.S. My sincere thanks to all of you who have risked your lives in combat for such as I.

TechBrute
May 8, 2003, 07:23 PM
And we also used blanks.
hehehehe....

SMS, I loved that movie.

Autolite
May 8, 2003, 08:37 PM
I read a story once about an LEO who was the target of a near miss at point blank range. All he felt was the muzzle blast from a revolver, but it was aimed at his head. He was certain, at the time, that he had been shot ...

Ryder
May 9, 2003, 05:19 AM
I've don't recall any animals harvested by me where the hair was shot off without it having left a bullet skid mark on the skin if that helps any.

I've been shot in the hair myself but don't remember any of the pellets having missed. It was more of a thud! :D

Kharn
May 9, 2003, 01:14 PM
QuarterBoreGunner:
Rent Super Troopers, you'll get the joke after watching it.

Kharn

Smoke
May 9, 2003, 02:50 PM
QBG

Do NOT rent Super Troopers. Its not worth wasting an hour and a half of your life just to get a not so good joke.

Mark D
May 9, 2003, 03:12 PM
ST wasn't meow the best movie I've ever seen.

Meow
May 9, 2003, 03:21 PM
Meow a movie? Huh:confused:

dustind
May 9, 2003, 04:32 PM
There was a contest in super troopers meow a cop had to say "meow" ten times during a traffic stop.

If a bullet meow through someone's hair it would cut the hair off that it hit. They just felt the air being forced meow the bullet.

p35
May 9, 2003, 10:19 PM
Maybe I'm taking this a little OT, but do you guys remember John-Erik Hexum? He was a TV actor back in the early 80s, IIRC, until one day on the set he pointed a .44 Mag loaded with blanks at his head and pulled the trigger, apparently as a joke. They declared him brain dead a couple days later.

A buddy who served in the Singapore Army told me that they used to have an old helmet hanging up in a corner of the barrack room. They popped off blanks at it from their service rifles for fun. Said it was covered with dents from the impact of the gasses from the muzzles.

Point is that muzzle blast is absolutely no joke, and I suspect the sonic wave isn't either.

vi9er
May 10, 2003, 01:56 PM
Meow you all listen here! We all should understand by meow that this forum is not the place for toilet humor or thread hijacking, either meow or in the future. Meow I, personally, am getting sick and tired of meow you folks are abusing this board, and meow you are just being plain rude. From meow on, I expect a higher standard from all of you, no more complaining about meow this violates the first amendment, or meow you would run things.
ed

:D

If you enjoyed reading about ""I felt the bullet go through my hair..."" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!