This Makes Me Sick

PDA

Skofnung
August 24, 2006, 07:22 PM
I am thoroughly disgusted. I just spoke to my wife on the phone. She is visiting a friend up in NYC and just called to tell me how her day was going.

She told me that she was having a great time, and that everything was going well, except that they made her give up her Swiss Army Knife in order to get on the ferry to the Statue of Liberty. I dont know if they were TSA, Port Authority, or the Ministry of Truth. I dont care. What matters is this:

They wouldnt let a young 98lb female, a citizen of these United States, onto a boat going to the Statue of LIBERTY with a Swiss Army Knife!

I guess Liberty just aint what it used to be.

She asked them if they would check it, or hold it till she got back (What a silly yokel, the screener must have thought) but they told her she would either have to give it to them for good, or not get on the ferry. Being that she was with two other people, and that cab fare back to her lodging would be more than the price of her little knife, she gave it to them.

Im sure some flea market vendor buying TSA grab bags off E-bay will be quite happy.

Im not angry about the loss of a $10.00 piece of steel and plastic. Im angry that most of my fellow citizens think that this is OK. Im angry that people think that it is normal to walk through metal detectors and to be subjected to unreasonable searches and seizures by .gov or .gov sponsored goons when visiting symbols of our supposed liberty.

What have we come to to fear a 3 non locking blade in the purse of a red-blooded American Woman? Are the majority of us that weak?

If you enjoyed reading about "This Makes Me Sick" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Lone_Gunman
August 24, 2006, 08:09 PM
I had the same problem when I was in NYC last year. We went to the Statue of Liberty also. I had a small Swiss Army knife also. It was the one that clips to a key chain and the blade is about 1 inch long. Very small.

The National Park Service runs the Statue of Liberty and would not allow even that knife on board. The knife was old, and I decided to toss it so I could go.

But I agree, it doesn't say much about the state of our freedoms. The weird thing is, I believe that the TSA would now let me carry the same item on airplanes without a problem.

theotherrookieshooter
August 24, 2006, 08:14 PM
they wont let me, a 6'2" 215lb. teen walk down the street with my switchblade or my butterfly knives or brass knuckles, its ridiculous!

Gordon Fink
August 24, 2006, 08:17 PM
How did they even know it was there?

~G. Fink

screwman
August 24, 2006, 08:24 PM
I'm not givin' up my pocket knife to see the statue of liberty. Besides it was a gift from a country that couldn't defend their own liberty.

Mike

Erebus
August 24, 2006, 08:32 PM
they wont let me, a 6'2" 215lb. teen walk down the street with my switchblade or my butterfly knives or brass knuckles, its ridiculous!

I know you are being sarcastic so explain all the good reasons these items should be illegal.

Alan Fud
August 24, 2006, 08:39 PM
The weird thing is, I believe that the TSA would now let me carry the same item on airplanes without a problem.I don't know about that. My in-laws flew in for the week-end (Fort Lauderdale to Newark) and they weren't allowed to bring aboard a sealed bottle of water. :eek: My sister-in-law opened it and drank it in front of them before discarding the empty bottle.

Tokugawa
August 24, 2006, 08:47 PM
what you are feeling ,my friends ,is the very outer-most tippity end of the tentacle of terrorism. The touch is indirect but there nevertheless. It will probably get worse- even the the threat of "gangs" has had the police chiefs of major US cities endorsing the idea of herding all pedestrians through street level metal detectors. The front lines in warfare are disappearing and the idea of civilian as innocent is long gone.

JohnBT
August 24, 2006, 08:59 PM
I disagree strongly.

John

Lone_Gunman
August 24, 2006, 09:16 PM
How did they even know it was there?

They are using metal detectors, wands, and Xray machines.

AF_INT1N0
August 24, 2006, 09:18 PM
That's just stupid!!

The more they disarm the citizens the easier it makes the job of the terrorists.

If one passenger had had a 1911 there would have been no 9-11.:cuss: :cuss:

Zundfolge
August 24, 2006, 09:38 PM
Im not angry about the loss of a $10.00 piece of steel and plastic. Im angry that most of my fellow citizens think that this is OK.
The citizens of New York City aren't really "your fellow citizens" ... they're Europeans who don't realize which side of the Atlantic they're on ... believe me the State of New York would join the EU if they could.

It shameful ... I imagine the former citizens of that once great city are spinning in their graves.

longeyes
August 24, 2006, 09:46 PM
In ten years it'll be called The Statue of Disarmament.

Standing Wolf
August 24, 2006, 10:21 PM
In ten years it'll be called The Statue of Disarmament.

Three.

Hoppy590
August 24, 2006, 10:27 PM
i was concerned about having to go through this ordeal getting on the marthas vinyard ferry. if need be i was gunna snap the blade off my knife and take the handle with me so none of the "security" walk off with my knife or sell it ( its a copy of a S&W SWAT style, so its not worth anything, but it looks real and most of the nit wits wouldnt know the differance)

Skofnung
August 24, 2006, 10:39 PM
Does anyone have any idea what to do about this mess?
How do we beat the fearmongers?

Prof. A. Wickwire
August 24, 2006, 10:51 PM
he citizens of New York City aren't really "your fellow citizens" ... they're Europeans who don't realize which side of the Atlantic they're on ... believe me the State of New York would join the EU if they could.

Zundfolge,

As a resident of a Red County in New York State, I would request that you be a little more specific in your statements.

If you look at a county level map of New York from the last Presidential election, you will see that most of the state is red.

New York City and Nassau County, Long Island Make up 2/3 the population of New York State. Any national level election is decided by them. The rest of the state might as well not vote for all the effect it will have.

Sincerely,

Prof. A. Wickwire

aufevermike
August 24, 2006, 10:53 PM
I have a freind that had the same thing happen. However, all he did was walk away and his his knife under a rock and tried again. After the visit to the statue he went and retrieved his knife.

chaim
August 24, 2006, 10:59 PM
Similar happened to me going to the Liberty Bell in Phily a couple years ago. I had a nice pocket knife on me (~$75-80 stag gripped folder) and noticed the signs ("no weapons") and metal detectors when almost there. Asked the guard my options, leave the knife or leave here. I went back to the car, dropped off my knife, and then came back (I was on a date and my date really wanted to see the display). Funny, that was my last date with that woman (she knew I carried a knife so I doubt that situation had anything to do with it, but you never know).

carpettbaggerr
August 25, 2006, 12:55 AM
... believe me the State of New York would join the EU if they could.
The City of New York, perhaps. Not the State, my friend. I don't judge all of Colorado by Denver, and New York is much the same........

RON in PA
August 25, 2006, 01:19 AM
While NYC is worthy of ridicule and disgust for many reasons this situation has nothing to do with NYC. It's a Federal issue and Federal rules and applies anywhere in the country. The last time I visited Gettysburg there were no weapons signs.

You can thank Osama.

Mr.V.
August 25, 2006, 01:41 AM
If one passenger had had a 1911 there would have been no 9-11.

Unless that one passenger was Mohamed Atta.

Face it, the gun culture is dying. Most passengers don't want guns on planes because they're afraid of guns. Many people don't know how to use guns, they don't know how to handle them, and they don't understand what guns can and cannot do. Without widespread familiarity and personal ownership of firearms, many people simply want them to go away.

I live in L.A. I feel like a leper in my community because I own a .22 pistol. Just 5 miles away there are gangs that have full-auto AKs, but I'm the guy my neighbors fear.

We've got a major uphill battle. And the real challenge is getting people to shoot and own guns again. If we manage to get every law abiding citizen in this country to shoot again, the vast majority of people would be gun-owners and the politics will follow easily. We'd probably even be able to amend the constitution and do away with the "...well regulated milita..." frustration all together.

But I've strained my eyes and have yet to see any of the national gun organizations (one in particular that I gave $35 to) show any sign of starting a grass roots campaign, billboards, tv ads, flyers, etc in the anti-cities to start turning around peoples' opinions. They like to fight the good fight in South Dakota when a town ordinance limits the number of belt-fed machine guns a person can own to 35.

xd9fan
August 25, 2006, 02:17 AM
Hey back off pal, your wife should loose that swiss army knife. Its a small price to pay for security. Theres a war on terror going on and we need to protect the people. Dont you understand that you cant have Rights if your blown up by some attack that could happen AT ANY TIME. The War on Terror is the most important war we have ever faced. Its a war against good vs. evil. People want to kill us because we are free...<cough> free. ok I'll stop I cant keep the BS going......

The issue not the knife....its about liberty. Individual Liberty. The GOP will take us down just as fast as the wacko left. One nation under fear.

c_yeager
August 25, 2006, 03:02 AM
I have a freind that had the same thing happen. However, all he did was walk away and his his knife under a rock and tried again. After the visit to the statue he went and retrieved his knife.

I remember we had a band of enterprising youths who used to hang out around the entrance gates to area concerts and "recover" the impressive assortment of armament and booze that was left in the hedge accross the street.

Psssniper
August 25, 2006, 03:56 AM
Had the hot dog vendor hold my Emerson, bought a couple hot dogs and cokes when we came back for it, seagull swooped down and grabbed my dog.

Nematocyst
August 25, 2006, 04:42 AM
Statue of Liberty (http://web.njit.edu/~ss228/29-Statue%20of%20Liberty6.JPG).

Benchmade Osborn (http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=941).

Which do you think I'd choose?

{Hint: I never did like statues,
but knives are useful on a daily basis.}

(Note: I live on the left coast for a reason.)

edave
August 25, 2006, 05:33 AM
Skofnung,

As one of our illustrious former Presidents said, "Ah feel your pain." :)

Was your wife's Swiss Army Knife the kind with the evil "saw blade"? If so, no doubt the National Park Service was afraid that she might commit an act of terror by literally sawing the Statue of Liberty down with it! Those Swiss Army Knives are DANGEROUS -- didn't you get the memo???

Of course, with the current "liquid explosives" scare, the Park Service must be absolutely apoplectic knowing that the Statue is literally surrounded by liquid!!! Perhaps a plan to drain the harbor of all liquid is in the works, to deny the terrorists their new "weapon of choice" and keep us all safe.

Sadly, so silly.

Stay safe, stay free.

Optical Serenity
August 25, 2006, 06:05 AM
not saying its right or wrong, just saying it shouldn't have surprised anyone. It is a matter of safety, and for whatever reason, knives have been deemed a threat...or more likely, they just ban things across the board due to terrorism. Instead of getting divided as a country, if you don't like this, let's go get them terrorists and put them under and stay united.

cuchulainn
August 25, 2006, 07:27 AM
Funny thing -- post 9/11, I went into a Washington, D.C. federal office building with a penknife attached to my keychain. I forgot to take it off beforehand, and didn't think about it until I was at the security station. I dropped my keychain into the little basket before going through the metal detector, and the guard looked at it. He didn't take the knife.

Also post 9/11, numerous times, I've been in a certain D.C.-area (Bethesda, Md.) federal office building that has no metal detectors or searches of any kind -- just a check-in desk where a rent-a-cop checks your ID. Interestingly, one time, a LEO was testifying at a hearing -- he was wearing his sidearm. I think I was the only one who noticed it. :rolleyes:

vito
August 25, 2006, 07:46 AM
The feds are certainly not consistent. I was at the St. Louis arch recently (worth going to if you have never been there) and the metal detector showed my pocket knife, a 2.5 inch Gerber folding lock blade knife. The security guard looked at it, stated that since it was less than three inches long, it was no problem. But I was glad I left my S&W640 in the car, since I did not know that I would be passing through security at this attraction.

El Tejon
August 25, 2006, 08:16 AM
Hmmm, federal property surrounded by New Jersey and NYC? Yeah, I can see where a little blissninness is going to creep in there.:evil:

Nightfall
August 25, 2006, 11:00 AM
Having to give up your freedom to see one of the symbols of liberty in the USA... yeah, that sounds about right now-a-days.

JBusch8899
August 25, 2006, 11:08 AM
Which only means that Ellis Island will be the scene of another senseless act of violence.

The only question now, is when it will happen.

Desk Jockey
August 25, 2006, 11:24 AM
The object of terrorism is to try to force us to change our way of life, is to force us to retreat, is to force us to be what we're not. And that's -- they're going to fail. They're simply going to fail. I want to assure my fellow Americans that our determination -- I say "our," I'm talking about Republicans and Democrats here in Washington -- has never been stronger to succeed in bringing terrorists to justice, protecting our homeland. Because what we do today will affect our children and grandchildren. This is our calling. This is the time for us to act in a bold way, and we are doing just that.
- George W. Bush, October 23, 2001

Yeah, right, nothing's changed in this country. Politicians should focus their "bold acts" on terrorists, not on US citizens. :fire:

espanola
August 25, 2006, 11:37 AM
Last Sunday, our preacher told the story of visiting the Smithsonian last month with his family. His 11 year old son forgot and had a nice folding knife with a 3" blade in his pocket and realized it when they were in line. The story was about our preacher trying to nonchalantly hide it in planters around the building. When they got out, he couldn't remember which planter he'd put it in. While searching, he thought he found it in a bush in the planter, pulled it out, and it was someone else's knife! (He did find his son's.)
It was funny to listen to, but I couldn't help thinking how foolish that we're taking such items from 11 year olds.
Wonder how much trouble our preacher would have gotten into if they had seen him hiding it!

Phetro
August 25, 2006, 11:56 AM
Having to give up your freedom to see one of the symbols of liberty in the USA... yeah, that sounds about right now-a-days.

If only the irony of the totalitarians were not so lost on them...

Oh, come on. What am I saying? They know fully well what they're doing. They're laughing about it every day--like the picture of the four marxists smiling and giving a thumbs up after voting for a gun-grab in the Senate. They know.

#shooter
August 25, 2006, 11:59 AM
NYC don't like the Swiss.:neener:

rock jock
August 25, 2006, 11:59 AM
If one passenger had had a 1911 there would have been no 9-11.If a passenger had a gun, so would the BG's.

BRASSM
August 25, 2006, 12:15 PM
I flew down to Texas a few years ago. On my was back after changing flights my pliers were confiscated. They were not needle nosed, they weren't sharp, you couldn't stab anyone with them. I didn't feel like arguing.The last time I saw pliers used as a weapon was by the 3 Stooges.
According to the US Constitution, if property is confiscated doesen't the Government have to compensate you, Didn't that Ballon from up in Taxachuttess, I mean Massachuttes make all of the TSA's Federal employes. So what about all of those 'contraband' items confiscated, where'd the loot ?
I wish I could steal with that much impunity. I'd rather be crammed in a T-38 then have to put up with the BS of commercial flying.

A. Patriot
August 25, 2006, 12:56 PM
I had to go to the IRS office in the local federal building to get some tax forms for my church. I had one of those 2 1/4 inch swiss army knives on my key ring. As I put the keys in the basket, a guard said I couldn't bring it in. Also, no cameras are allowed in federal buildings, so I couldn't bring my cell phone in either. I had to walk back to my car in a public parking garage a few blocks away and leave the dangerous items. Blew my whole lunch hour.

pete f
August 25, 2006, 01:20 PM
BrassM they get away with it by calling it Voluntary surrender.

The whole point of all of this is that America has Changed since 9-11 and no one seems to understand that. At least no one in control.

There is no way that terr group is going to be able to pull something like 9-11 off again. Terrs try to stage an event at the Statue of Liberty and they are going to end hanging from the Torch. Americans will just say not on my watch,

There is not way any flight is going to get hijacked in the old sense. The passengers are no longer going to say, "oh yeah, it's just a detour to Havana". Time and time again, Americans have taken the situation into their own hands and dealt with incidents on their own. My wife was on a flight from Tampa to MSP this spring and when some guy who looked "middle eastern" started getting unruly and combative with a flight attendant, Four guys literally beat the S**t out of him and left him hog tied and gagged in the center Aisle of the aircraft, it took maybe one minute. Wife said it was, Guy stands up, yackity yackety yack two others stand up and grab him, another stands up and hit him in the head with a pop can, guy starts to get up and it was pig pile and end of story. all over in a few seconds, plane gave the guys a big ovation. . . not a word about it on the news when she landed.

I have heard of others like this. Two guys I know say they were flying from Hawaii to LA, some Philippino guy started something with the flight crew and he was literally tied and stuffed upside down in the latrine.

I have also heard some guys started to act funny on a flight from detroit to amsterdam, the pilot turned the seat belt sign on and basically did a three or four negative G move that put the Badguys on the roof Alot of people lost their lunch, but the morons ended up in a pile after bouncing off the roof.

I guarantee you that something happens at a big event and unless they drive a truck bomb into the stadium, any attempts to pull something off is going to result in a bunch of Americans saying ummm No, Not here, Not today.

Chipperman
August 25, 2006, 01:59 PM
Last year I was going to the Smithsonian with my wife's family. I had one of my knives in my pocket (Gerber with 3.5 inch blade) and my Leatherman on my belt. While in the line for the metal detector, I realized I might have a problem. I decided to just go ahead and see what happened. The alarm went off as I went through, but I did not react. I just kept walking while holding my kids. The security guard looked at me but didn't say anything. I kept right on walking, while trying to suppress a smirk.

TX1911fan
August 25, 2006, 03:09 PM
I was in the Calgary airport and had forgotten my CRKT knife was in my backpack. They ran it three times through the xray machine because they couldn't believe someone would actually bring a knife like that to the airport. The guy was cool, but he told me they didn't even have a way for me to mail it to myself. I just had to turn it over. I was pissed, at myself mainly because I forgot. I never thought of snapping the blade off though. I wish I could have done that, but I guess he never would have given me the chance. He wouldn't even let me touch my bag until he had the knife out of it.

xd9fan
August 25, 2006, 04:48 PM
If a passenger had a gun, so would the BG's.

sooooo......we ban guns then??????

BG will think of something, while we have nothing......"for security".:barf:
oh no wait we will have a federal agent in board, he will protect us. We couldnt do it ourselves O' Americans. The motherland will have someone to watch over us.

Remember.....Its only legit, right and good if it comes from Govt.:barf:

Superpsy
August 25, 2006, 05:01 PM
The City of New York, perhaps. Not the State, my friend. I don't judge all of Colorado by Denver, and New York is much the same........

amen.

Mojo-jo-jo
August 27, 2006, 02:16 AM
I never thought of snapping the blade off though.

Even if it doesn't have a blade "it's still a knife!"

A few months ago I was flying home from Memphis immediately following a very long night of work. While wating in line at the security checkpoint, I noticed that I had forgotten to put my lockback utility knife--the kind that uses a disposable utility knife blade in my checked toolbox. I removed the blade and discarded in the nearest trash can, hoping they would allow me to keep the "holder" portion.

No such luck. The TSA supervisor said "but it's still a knife!" and I was forced to turn it over or not fly. They (TSA) were also espcially rude and unpleasant, and I was even threatend with arrest. In the end, they kept the $5 "knife" and I made it home.

Boneheads.

DRZinn
August 27, 2006, 10:55 AM
Does anyone, including the TSA, really believe that a razor blade taped to the calf would set off metal detectors?

If you enjoyed reading about "This Makes Me Sick" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!