So much for customer service.........

PDA

HiVelocity
August 25, 2006, 04:15 PM
Heads Up Folks...........Hope you don't need your Remington shotgun repaired.

I shipped Remington my 870 Wingmaster, a police trade in, to be examined and ultimately repaired. Something "internal" caused 2 projections on the receiver under the ejection port. I wasn't sure how it got there, but wanted an honest inspection at the factory.

The first e-mail [with photos] got me the reply..........basically, "Tough stuff, buy a new shotgun". Second choice, write a letter to the factory. Two weeks later I got a nice letter with a form to return the shotgun to the factory for inspection and estimate to repair the problem.

Now, I returned the phone call from the factory yesterday. They (1) never identified what the problem was nor, (2) what caused it. Their offer? They would "repair" the shotgun for $243.00. When I told the gentleman that I could buy another complete shotgun for that amount and that I was a police officer, he offered a 42% discount; repair the shotgun for $137.00. I just signed for my shotgun minutes ago untouched. I purchased a complete 870 Express Magnum receiver for $88.00...............in which I will rebuild my own shotgun, "Thank You" Remington.

Be assured, they may be American made, but I won't buy one another one!

If you enjoyed reading about "So much for customer service........." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tejas Gunwerks
August 25, 2006, 06:35 PM
You wanted them to fix it for free? A shotgun that was out of warranty and had been through who knows how many hands? Why didn't you insist on knowing what the problem was. If the person you spoke to didn't know, I bet his supervisor would.

macavada
August 25, 2006, 09:13 PM
42% discount seems more than fair to me. Average joe doesn't get the same consideration. Especially since it was a trade in.

nibb
August 28, 2006, 11:05 AM
Where are you a police officer?

1 old 0311
August 28, 2006, 01:09 PM
At one time Remington was first class. Guess they joining the 'hell with you' stance the rest of the firearms industry seems to be drifting to.:cuss:

Car Knocker
August 28, 2006, 02:24 PM
Why shouldn't a manufacturer charge to repair a product if it is no longer under warranty? If the warranty expires on my computer/dryer/furnace/car/etc., I certainly don't expect continued free repairs forever.

Jim K
September 4, 2006, 06:01 PM
HiVelocity, it is not clear whether you are saying they charged you $137 and then did nothing, or that you told them not to do the repair. If the first, your complaint is genuine and I would raise cain with them.

But if you chose not to pay for the repair, then you have no complaint. A few companies will repair their products practically forever, but most will charge for repairs once the warranty has expired.

$137 is not unreasonable. Consider that good gunsmiths make $40-50 an hour, and then add parts plus return shipping. I have no idea what was wrong, but the 870 is a pretty rugged gun and I would be surprised if a local gunsmith or your police armorer couldn't repair it.

Jim

45crittergitter
September 10, 2006, 04:40 PM
I had a new 11-87 that broke the bolt link during the first box of shells, and Remington wouldn't send me a new link....

Car Knocker
September 10, 2006, 05:04 PM
Why not?

45crittergitter
September 15, 2006, 10:17 PM
Because they didn't have an authorized repair shop here - they wanted me to spend $40 to send the whole gun back to them for who-knows-how-long right in the middle of hunting season. I already had the broken part out and just needed a new one to replace it. Probably a $2 part.

If you enjoyed reading about "So much for customer service........." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!