Stupidest thing you heard a gun store salesman say?

PDA

Jeeper
May 8, 2003, 09:19 PM
Here is mine

He was trying to sell a safe to a lady. It was a basic low end heritage or granite. He was telling her that the safe was rated for "10 hours against the best safe crackers in the world using any tool they wanted"

I almost fell over

Lets hear yours!

If you enjoyed reading about "Stupidest thing you heard a gun store salesman say?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SquirrelNuts
May 8, 2003, 09:28 PM
The one that comes to mind for me is the guy that tells all the customers that the Teflon coating on Black Talons was intended to help penetration, and was not designed for the barrel.

-SquirrelNuts

cool45auto
May 8, 2003, 09:50 PM
Was at a customer appreciation sale and asked to see a P32. The guy says those haven't come out yet and I'm looking thru the glass at one sitting on top of it's little white box with blue writing on it!

El Tejon
May 8, 2003, 10:18 PM
Looking at Colt Detective Special. Geezer behind counter.

El Tejon: [pockets loaded with cash and burning desire to buy Colt DS] "Pardon me, sir. May I see the Colt Detective Special there?"

Geezer: "Son, we don't have any, cause they don't make them anymore. I remember when . . . [rambling about Old Days were all guns were better and boys were men--El Tejon with stunned look] . . . and then I took the ferry to Shelbyville, which in those days was called East Ogdenville . . ."

El Tejon: "Well, what's that? [pointing to 2" snub which is Colt DS and is marked as such]"

Geezer: "It's not a Detective Special because we don't have any."

Have not entered those doors again and that was '91. Hope they went out of business, the fools.:eek:

Soap
May 8, 2003, 10:53 PM
Trust me!

The Kidd
May 8, 2003, 10:59 PM
I was looking to buy a Kimber CustomII. I wanted it with night sights. I had made up my mind that this was the make and model I wanted. I had even obtained my wife's approval. I told the man behind the counter that I wanted that pistol and asked how long would it take to get one in. With 'the look' he rather grandly informed me that I'd have to buy one 'as is' w/o night sights and the send it back to Kimber to have them installed. That was dumb. Happy ending though.

I thanked him and got in the truck and drove twenty miles to another shop I had only seen an ad for once. Bill took the info, my name, and phone number and called me two days later to come get my pistol. I've bought two other handguns and one rifle-scope combo from him since. The last two I just 'phoned in' my order. Customer service is COOL !

mummac
May 8, 2003, 11:15 PM
me: Do you have any boresnakes?

crankygunshopguy: boresnake?

me: Yes sir, it's like a rope with bristles that you run through the barrel to clean with.

crankygunshopguy: boresnake? who told you about that?

me: I saw them on the Internet

him: THE INTERNET! I ain't got much use for the Internet. The Internet is a bunch of bull**** if you ask me.

this place is just down the street from my house so it's convenient but staffed by very odd people. i think they are owned by and do gunsmithing for a chain of pawn shops. i think he may have thought a boresnake was some kind of animal.

Jerrywahid
May 8, 2003, 11:20 PM
Had a guy thumb back the hammer on S&W .357 Mag and try scare my friend by saying, "You wouldn't carry a gun like that would you?" My friend of course responds that he wouldn't and the guy says, "Well that's what you're doing when you carry a Glock. Look over here at this SW99." I just don't like scare tactics. I also saw a guy tell someone who was looking at a Glock that they could shoot it muddy, sandy or even underwater. Didn't say anything about the maritime spring cups or anything. I don't think it's a good idea to suggest such a thing to someone who may not know better.

Redlg155
May 8, 2003, 11:24 PM
I would guess more ignorant to me than stupid. I went into a gunshop/local pawnshop to see what I could find in the way of a good milsurp deal. After standing there a couple of minutes the clerk tears himself away from watching "Wheel of Fortune" on the T.V. and asks me " Can I help you?". I reply, "Yes, I would like to see that No4 Mk1 Enfield you have displayed". He then stated " If I show you the gun you gotta buy it."

Normally I would chuckle at such a comment, but this idiot was totally serious. I walked out and have never had any use for that store again. I also discourage everyone I know from using that place of business....if you could call it that.

Good Shooting
Red

MR.G
May 8, 2003, 11:26 PM
Was in a shop one day when a guy walked in with a paper bag in his hand. The guy walked up to the counter, opened up the bag, and pulled out a .38 Colt Detective Special. The shop owner walked over to the guy and asked if he could help him. The guy tells the shop owner that there is something wrong with his gun, and proceeds to shake it. You could hear the bullert rattle in the cylinder. The shop owner opens the cylinder, takes out the bullets, and examines them. Then the shop owner looks at the customer and tells him that he had .32 long ammo in a .38 special gun. He then took a .32 H&R out from the display case, loads it with the .32 long ammo, and shakes the gun. He looked at the guy and said "YOU HAVE THE WRONG GUN FOR YOUR BULLETS"." He traded the guy even for the correct gun. Still can't believe what I saw happen.

MAKOwner
May 9, 2003, 01:43 AM
Was in a local store I hadn't been in before inquiring about what they charge to do a transfer when I was looking to buy a rifle online one time, etc. The salesman walks over the FFL holder there (I guess) and talks for a few seconds. Comes back and just told me to have the guy (out of state) FedEx it straight to me. ***? Don't I wish I could do that you idiot...

WonderNine
May 9, 2003, 01:45 AM
That's a good one Mr. G :D

BerettaNut92
May 9, 2003, 01:59 AM
"May I help you?"

"Yeah, I'm the guy that called about the USP .45 Compact twotone."

"OK...but let me tell you...have you tried the Glock 36?"

"Nope. Can you get me 3 mags for the Compact?"

"Yeah we have them here....but...this Glock 36...I carry it every day. It blows the HK out of the water."

"Uh huh. Hey, do you have the mags with the extended baseplate?"

"Man, the G36 man, it's so much more streamlined, no edges to snag...."

10 days later I had my USP45C. Isn't it obvious I wanted an 8-round single action polymer .45 with a stainless frame???? :rolleyes:

SASS#23149
May 9, 2003, 02:29 AM
A friend bought a Jennings .22 at a pawn shop....yea,I know,2 mistakes in a row!!..
takes it home and notices it is dirty inside.TRys to cylce a round in at the range,and the round jams.Trys again,same result.
Takes it back to the pawn shop....yea,another mistake...and shows the guy what's going on.Guy says....
Well yea,it jams when you hand cycle it 'cause your cycling it faster than it cycles under recoil.
DUH to the enth degree.

PATH
May 9, 2003, 02:32 AM
Would you like fries with that?:D :neener:

swingset
May 9, 2003, 02:39 AM
swingset trying to get some rings for my faux Enfield No4 sniper:

salesman: "What kind of gun are you putting these on?"

swingset: "Enfield No4mk1"

salesman: "Oh, one of those WWI guns?"

swingset: "No, the No4 was a WWII and later gun"

salesman: "Yeah, those are the ones that have a brittle receiver. You better not put any rounds through that if you value your head"

swingset: "Not trying to be a dick, but you've got your wires crossed. The early Sprinfield 03's are the brittle receivers, and the No4mk1 is a very robust, safe action. Never heard of one blowing up on anyone and I'm an Enfield collector so I'd probably have heard"

salesman: "Well, you can shoot it if you want to, but I wouldn't trust my life on an old German gun"

swingset: "Duly noted":rolleyes:

I hope he doesn't breed.

larry_minn
May 9, 2003, 02:57 AM
Most recient but not stupidest. He had a China SKS. I asked to see Norinco SKS. He tells me they are the BEST SKS made. I mentioned that most folks seem to like Russian with Milled. He assures me the Norinco is the best SKS ever made and every soldier in Nam dumped their M-16 for a SKS first chance they got. I thanked him for the info.
I do step in when clerk is trying to sell a .25 auto to women who is planning to take a personal protection firearms class. I make a pain of myself and suggest she check if they will have loaner guns so she can try a variety under supervision and find what she likes and then come back and buy it. The clerk can't help but agree.
Or clerk tell me that 45 acp will work just fine in a 45LC.

NIB
May 9, 2003, 03:45 AM
About a few months ago....At one of the illustrious chain of stores in Southern Kali that we shall call "Turders" ;)

Me: When are you guys getting Colt pistols in. I'm dying to get my hands on a new 1991A1.

Store Clerk: Never, Colts been out of buisness for years. They don't make handguns anymore.

Me: No they aren't! They're still making pistols! Heck there was a review on the Colt 1991A1 in a mag not too long ago.

Store clerk: Well I don't who told you that lie. That review was probably an old colt. But we know here that they are out of buisness. If they made them then we would have them on display.

Me and my money: Bye! :neener:

Sisco
May 9, 2003, 04:09 AM
This happened not in a gunshop but WalMart where you would expect to hear such things. I was looking at a the display case when a lady customer asked the kid behind the counter for assistance.
Lady:"My husband wants me to pick him up some ammo"
Kid: "Sure, whatca need?"
She pulls a piece of paper from her purse and reads "Three Eight Zero Auto".
Kid: "Sure, just a minute"
Kid: "We don't seem to have any of those, but we have these thiry eight specials".
Lady: "I don't know, my husband said to get these"
Kid: "Oh, they're the same thing, they're both 38 caliber. They just call these specials because they're more powerful!"

Normally I'm one to mind my own business but I couldn't help myself this time. I jumped in and told the lady those wouldn't work in her husbands gun, they won't even fit. I then gave her the address of a good gunshop and told her to go there and they'd make sure she got what she needed.
Told the kid he was going to get someone hurt with his ignorance someday and maybe he should transfer back to the video game dept.

Dan Morris
May 9, 2003, 07:37 AM
Guess it would have to be when a Gart Bros counter dude tried to unload a bunch of .311 bullets on me to go in a 06........said the 311 would fire fine in a 308. I changed stores.
Dan

fmjcafe
May 9, 2003, 07:54 AM
Me: I`d like to look at a Para Ordinance .45.

Them: We don`t have one but we have these Norinco`s. They`re just as good.

Blain
May 9, 2003, 11:13 AM
He traded the guy even for the correct gun. Still can't believe what I saw happen.

He did all the legal paper work for the transfer....right?

Ullr
May 9, 2003, 11:14 AM
Young woman walks in while I'm looking over the rack of milsurps. She goes to the counter and kind of nervously asks to see some handguns.

Clerk says, "sure what are you planning to use it for?"

"Home defense," she replies.

"You're not planning to get a carry permit?"

"No, I just want to have a gun available in case I get broken into."

Up to this point, I have no problem with the clerk -- he's trying to find the right product for his customer.

"Home defense, huh?" He turns to the racks behind him, and pulls down a Mossberg 500 pistol grip. "Here's what you really need for that."

She weighs, maybe, 100lb soaking wet, and is obviously unfamiliar with firearms. She hefts it a couple of times, and asks "how do I aim it?"

"Aww, shucks. With one of these babies you don't even have to aim!"

:banghead:

TarpleyG
May 9, 2003, 11:26 AM
A few weeks ago I went to the gun shop near work. It's a nice place and they have a lot of stuff but prices are high and the salespeople are generally rude.

I wanted/needed Federal Hydra-shok .45 ACP 230 gr. so I asked if they had any. Know-it-all owner says they don't stock it because no one uses it but he does have the new "Personal Protection" in 185 gr. and shuld be using that anyway. I told him I wanted 230 gr. because that is what I have always used and I know how my guns shoot it. Plus I use fixed sights and have them filed for proper POA/POI.

His comment was "well how far off is it?"
I said "not that much, maybe 2" at 25yds."
Him "well that will still hit your target, right?"

Point is, I know what I want and why. I don't need some yahoo telling me otherwise. Ending up ordering it online.

GT

Bacchus
May 9, 2003, 11:35 AM
Got one for you. About six months ago, I was in a pawn shop and asked the salesman if he had any snubbies in 357.

So he shows me some snubbies in 38. I tell him I want 357.

So he pulls out a 44 special and says, "This is what you need. It will blow a man's arm off."

Never been back.

Sheslinger
May 9, 2003, 01:22 PM
This gun is a mover! They are bought up as fas as we get them. This one comes in the original H&K greenlined box with two mags and a cleaning tool. There is no manual. The gun is original factory nickel finish It looks as if it was intended as an investment purchase with possibly 50 rounds shot through and manual misplaced. This is said to be the world's most safe gun. A child would have to be a junior gorilla to squeeze the front strap while pulling the trigger after loading and chambering it. Thanks for looking.

They have quite a few P7's there. Cslinger says we should hurry up and buy them all so people who read this do not buy them and leave them around for kids to play with.

Sheslinger

Majic
May 9, 2003, 11:00 PM
I asked to see the Limited Edition Ruger Bisley. The clerk informed me that no such gun was ever made. Not 2 feet away on the top row of the glass counter between us sat a Limited Edition Ruger Bisley. It was displayed between several blue steel Blackhawks. Kinda hard to not see a SS gun among blue steel guns.

Archie
May 9, 2003, 11:33 PM
I heard a customer in a sporting goods store ask if they had a "12 pump riot guage". I can't really duplicate it, because it was obvious the primary noun in the phrase was the "guage". And the word "Lugar" was somewhere in the sentence, but I can no longer place it.

The clerk, a rather knowledgeable woman who reminded me of "Selma" Diamond on the old "Night Court" series, told him when he figured out what it was, she'd show it to him.

Crimper-D
May 9, 2003, 11:59 PM
Would be the clerk at a local Sporting Goods manning a counter in front of a wall full of various brands and chamberings of rifle,pistol and shotgun ammo Who didn't know there was a difference between RIMFIRE and CENTERFIRE! :banghead:
I undertook to further his education by showing him the difference, but I doubt it penetrated:rolleyes:

Bowlcut
May 10, 2003, 12:06 AM
Me looking at a p99...
shop owner, "you know thats made by smith right?"
me "how so?"
owner "look right here this stamp, its smith and wesson"
me ":scrutiny: "

then he picks up a sw99
Owner "see the same thing, its made by walther right here on the grip, all p99 AND sw99 slides are made by smith, the plastic is all that is made by walther."

Or going into DeathCity, errr Gun City
counter worker "why do you want the sw99 or p99"
me "cause i like the functions of the gun, and it feels good in my hand"
worker "no what you want is this M2, we sell more of them than any other gun we have"
me "so that makes it right for me then huh? "

BowStreetRunner
May 10, 2003, 12:16 AM
some of these stories are unbelievable
i am lucky as to not have experienced one that bad as of yet
The guys down at the local gunshop did have a brain fart day when I tried to transfer some guns from SOG to them for me
but it got worked out ok
its too bad you cant count on these things at gunstores:
fair prices,
good advice
good service
some of the bs i here makes me wonder how some clowns stay in business.....or where they learned about guns, GI Joe?
BSR

QuarterBoreGunner
May 10, 2003, 12:37 AM
Ok ok ok .... speaking as a former gunstore manager and sales dude I have to say that this is the funniest and saddest thread I have ever read.

Funniest because this is the kind of stuff me and my sales staff used to joke about.

Saddest because... damn...isn't the guy behind the counter supposed to know what he's talking about?

I always stressed to my sales people this: 'to the general public YOU are the gun guy; you're supposed to have all the answers... if you don't know something, don't try and BS a customer because there will always be someone that knows more than you. At my store I was the general gun guy; we also had a long range rifle guy, a military surplus 'Garands forever!' guy, and a carbon fiber from head to toe tactical to the max guy. If a customer had a question that I couldn't answer, I'd tell them the truth..'sorry don't know, but I can try and find out'.

I never, and I mean never, tried to steer a customer to something that would benefit me at their expense. I had the '100 lbs. dripping wet' female with no experience come in to buy something and I'd give them my standard answer; 'we have a basic handgun class on Thursday night; I stongly suggest that you take it, we also rent alot of different handguns and you should try out different models before you decide to buy'

The point is we tried to help the customer.

But I've been to the gunstores ya'll listed above... and I've laughed and cried.

Harold Mayo
May 10, 2003, 12:38 AM
I heard talk in a local gun store that a semi-auto pistol was better than a revolver because you could bluff better with the semi-auto...

Their point was that a guy could see the loaded rounds in the cylinder on a revolver but wouldn't know whether or not a semi-auto had a round chambered (unless the light was just right) or not, so you could pull a bluff better.

SRYnidan
May 10, 2003, 12:54 AM
At a Gart Brothers in Aurora, CO

Asked to look a Colt Detective Special with a three inch barrel.

They don't make them with a there inch barrel.

Then just show me the nickel one on the top shelf of the display case (yep it had a 3" tube)

Captain Scarlet
May 10, 2003, 03:19 AM
a California gun store dealer told me all HIGH CAP mags were
BANNED! and you are not even supposed to be in possesion of
any HI CAP magazines! even if you bought them before the ban!

:cuss:

TechBrute
May 10, 2003, 05:06 AM
I hate buying ammo from a chain, as I would rather support the small stores, but the Sports Authority was the only thing open at the time, and I was desperate. After waiting fooooooooreeeeeeveeeeeer for someone to show their face in that department, I asked for some .45. He looked around and then said he didn't have any. Dumbfounded, I explained he should probably have some, since it's very popular. He looks again and then tells me that noone must use it anymore because they don't carry it, and he's never heard of .45ACP.:rolleyes:

*8*
May 10, 2003, 05:17 AM
Years ago....

Me: I'd like to check out that AK 47, please.

Gun store owner: What AK47, there are no AK in my store..

Me: That AK right next to those AR's.

Gun store owner: NO, that is not an AK, it's a MAK90.

Me: Ummm... OK :rolleyes:

Technically, he was correct but please they are the same, save for the auto and bayo. Everything else is AK, action type and all.

BlkHawk73
May 10, 2003, 08:01 AM
My brother was at the Walmart a few yrs back. Walked up to the ammo counter and asked the kid - yes he was a kid if they had any .357 maximum ammo. The clerk quickly glanced into the case and responded...

"We don't have any of that ammo, but we might have some other kind that'll fit".

Greybeard
May 10, 2003, 09:26 AM
Bass Pro Shop, Grapevine TX a few years back. They were in the process of remodeling display cases and temporarily had all handguns in the back. I told the kid behind the counter I would like to see if they had any of the new Smith and Wesson 342s (or maybe it was the 340). He looked confused, so I said, "It is a small, light weight 5-shot revolver." He replied "Smith and Wesson does not make 5-shot revolvers." ' Afraid I used the non-Grandma "b" and "s" word combination and took my hundred dollar bills elsewhere ...

Wally World, Lewisville TX, again several years back. There to buy my hunting license, I told the kid that I wanted to get one for my 11-year old son at the same time. He said "Your son does not need a hunting license." ' Guess getting old and intolerant because the b and s combo came out again. I picked up the top copy from his stack of Texas Parks and Wildlife "Outdoor Annual" and let him read about his ignorance in black and white. For those under 17, only $6, but definitely required. Wonder how many Dads that guy cost far more than $6 when the game warden came along ... ;)

BowStreetRunner
May 10, 2003, 10:41 AM
QuarterBoreGunner
the kind of service you describe is the kind of service that should be in every gunstore!
BSR

lee n. field
May 10, 2003, 10:49 AM
>I hate buying ammo from a chain, as I would rather support the small stores, but the Sports Authority was the only thing open at the time, and I was desperate. After waiting fooooooooreeeeeeveeeeeer for someone to show their face in that department, I asked for some .45.

Gander Mountain store, next city over. They tend to be expensive, but they're the only place in that city that has reloading stuff, so I drop by occationally.

Anyway, one day I asked for "social purposes 9mm Makarov" ammo. Pimply faced youth behind the counter hadn't ever heard of it, and laughed about it.

Sorry, it is not good practice to _laugh_ about a customers choice, in his presence.

I was steamed, but kept my temper.

45R
May 10, 2003, 12:43 PM
Called Badger John's in Sacramento to see if they had a 700P in stock. The idiot that answered the phone said no and asked if I wanted one ordered. He started to looking for his LEO catalog and asked what department I worked for. I said I'm a civilian.

HE SAID OHHHH IT ILLEGAL FOR A CIVILIAN TO OWN THIS TYPE OF RIFLE...:banghead:

I was like since when.......

He said Its the law......

Since when....(I decided to humor myself)

Since a few years ago...........

Thank you for your time.

cratz2
May 10, 2003, 02:06 PM
Every time I see one of these threads I think my lucky stars that I almost always shop at a store staffed by three of four gun nuts that have been involved in competition and one guy that is a decent gunsmith and I can't recall ever hearing anything outrageous from any of them.

I've heard some pretty ludicrous things from sales people in general... two that come to mind was when my wife was looking at getting a VW Jetta, she didn't care about performance but I was wanting her to wait until they put the 1.8L turbo in the Jetta. Talked to a salesman at one shop (not where we bought) and he said, 'Oh... all cars are turbocharged these days. They put the turbos inside the engines now so they take up less room. They turn some of them off and then if you want the turbo to work, they charge you another $3,000 and turn it on.' I kid you not... this was at Dryer & Reinbold in Greenwood, IN.

Not only is that disinformation, it seems to be well into false advertising territory. I complained to the manager and his response was, 'Well, he's more of an Infinity guy that a VW guy.'

:rolleyes:

Captain Scarlet
May 10, 2003, 02:47 PM
one time I was looking for an AK style rifle and the dealer only
had SKS rifles, he said that SKS's are the same thing with a
different stock. Then he said you really like these Communists
pieces of Crap dont you? what a dumb thing to say when he has
these for sale in his own store? :cuss:

KY Moose
May 10, 2003, 03:45 PM
This happened to me when I went to a local gun store looking for my first 1911.

Oldguybehindthecounter: Can I help you?

Moose: I'm getting ready to purchase my first 1911, and trying to decide between the Kimber and Springfield.

Oldguybehindthecounter: So what are you planning on using it for?

Moose: Well, I've been shooting my friends 1911's for a while now I want one of my own to take to the range, shoot a competition with, plus the occasional time I want to use it as my carry gun. I'm really looking for a full size 1911 now, then later on I plan on getting a compact for concealed carry.

Oldguybehindthecounter: You're going to carry that thing cocked and locked!?!

Moose: Yes I am. I wouldn't carry it any other way!

Oldguybehindthecounter: Well, I guess I'll be reading about you.

Moose: Reading about me?

Oldguybehindthecounter: Yes. Reading about you in the paper when that thing goes off and you shoot yourself by carrying a cocked and locked 1911. Those things are dangerous as hell when carried liked that.

Moose: I've not had a problem with packing a cocked and locked 1911 around at the range, plus I know a few police officers that carry a 1911 as their duty weapons and have done so since Moby Dick was a minnow. I've never heard of them having any type of negligent discharge since they have had the things.

Oldguybehindthecounter: They have just been lucky, cause those things are dangerous.

Moose: What ever! I would just like to look a couple of the 1911s to help narrow down my choices.

I left after looking at a few makes and models. I found a really nice used 1911, but decided to wait until someone else was working to try and deal with them. The next day I call and spoke with one of the more reasonable folks out there a got a killer deal on the Springfield with no hassle about the things being a death trap.

Another incident was at Dick's Sporting Goods. I had my eye on a Remington 870 Marine Magnum for a long while, and they happened to have a couple in stock.

Youngguybehindthecounter: Can I get anything for you Sir?

Moose: Yes. If you wouldn't mind, I would like to look at that Remington 870 Marine Mag on the wall back there.

Youngguybehindthecounter: (Looking at the back rack doesn't seem to know what he's looking for) What model were you wanting?

Moose: (To make it simple) That silver shotgun there. The Remington 870.

Youngguybehindthecounter: Oh, OK. Here you go.

Moose: Thank you. (As I rack the action back to inspect the chamber, Youngguybehindthecounter chimes in.)

Youngguybehindthecounter: You know something, that's an awesome shotgun. That's exactly what the Navy Seals use. The exact same thing you have in your hands.

Moose: (Sarcastic voice on) Really? What I have in my hands is exactly what the Seal Teams use?

Youngguybehindthecounter: Yes it is.

I didn't say another word to him, the look I gave him pretty much spoke better than words. I handed the shotgun back to him and went on my way.

Deuce
May 10, 2003, 03:47 PM
I hate to be presumptous, but, after reading all these, I'd like to recommend Mr. G as the winner (if there is to be one). That story was "wrong" on so many levels.

Jmurman
May 10, 2003, 03:50 PM
I've heard some pretty ludicrous things from sales people in general... two that come to mind was when my wife was looking at getting a VW Jetta, she didn't care about performance but I was wanting her to wait until they put the 1.8L turbo in the Jetta. Talked to a salesman at one shop (not where we bought) and he said, 'Oh... all cars are turbocharged these days. They put the turbos inside the engines now so they take up less room. They turn some of them off and then if you want the turbo to work, they charge you another $3,000 and turn it on.' I kid you not... this was at Dryer & Reinbold in Greenwood, IN.

Thast funny. I am the Internet Sales Manager for a large honda dealership and I can agree that there are some real rocket scientists that frequent these lots..both customers and salesman.

firestar
May 10, 2003, 04:51 PM
It is so hard to pick only one!
There is a gunstore near me that is owned by the world's best BS man. I have bought several guns from him in the past when I didn't know quite as much but I won't shop their ever again. I at least knew enough that I never got taken like some of my frinds did. I 4-5 guns from him and never got ripped off but that was only because I knew the price I was going to pay and no more.

Anyway, hear is something he told me that I am ashamed to admit that I believed. Keep in mind, this guy is good! He is not your normal hick, I think he teaches high school.

He told me that the reason that the local chain stores can sell Ruger pistols for so cheap is that Ruger makes special guns for them, extra cheap guns that are not made as well as a regular Ruger. He said most poeple that shop at chain stores would never know the difference but his customers do.

When I asked him how you can tell the difference he told me, "they are almost identical but I could show you if I had them side by side".

It sounded like BS but the guy was so convincing and as far as I knew, he had not ever lied straight to my face. When someone is able to lie so flatly, it is sometimes hard to detect. I think that is a sign of low morals, he is not bothered by lying at all.

The funny thing is, later, when I was looking at a Glock (for my brother), he told me that the S&W Sigma is just as good but $100 cheaper! He was selling Sigmas for $450! I told him that I heard on the internet that they were junk. He went into a rant about the idiots on the net and how I shouldn't listen to those fools because they were the biggest idiots on earth. I was thinking to myself, who are the biggest idiots, the entire public?

I don't take everything I hear on the net as truth but when the concensus is that a gun is a lemon or a great deal, I will use that info to check it out for myself or to avoid a certain gun. I have found out about several guns from the net that I would never have known about otherwise, I have even bought some of them and have been very happy. My CZ-452 Standard was only know to me from the net, when I ordered it, the guy didn't even know if they made it.

vmi93
May 10, 2003, 10:43 PM
I recently got bit by the bug to buy a Remington 1100 for our local IPSC shotgun matches. I do some research on Gunbroker and get an idea of the wholesale price and what should be a reasonable retail price.

I go to a shop. This is a place that I don't normally frequent because the owner is an older guy who does not seem to like customers who come in to buy stuff (as opposed to the ones who come in to talk about the deer they shot in '73 or how great things were before the wheel was invented).

I go in, squint across the counter at the shotgun selection, and noticing that there are no Remingtons, ask the owner if he has any in stock.

He says no, but he has these nice Franchi's, priced at $600+. I smile and say that that is a little more than I wanted to spend (thinking I might ask him to order an 1100 for me). He replies, saying "Remingon will cost you lot more than that." I thank him and go off to another shop.

Later that week I order a nice new 1100 from another shop for $459.00.

Saving that kind of money, I'll soon be independently wealthy and can afford to run a gun shop that gouges customers and insults their intelligence.

Oh, well...:p

SquirrelNuts
May 12, 2003, 12:11 PM
BlkHawk73,

I would bet he was thinking of trying to use .38 Special in a .357 Magnum. I don't know, but it might be a safe bet.

My brother was at the Walmart a few yrs back. Walked up to the ammo counter and asked the kid - yes he was a kid if they had any .357 maximum ammo. The clerk quickly glanced into the case and responded...

"We don't have any of that ammo, but we might have some other kind that'll fit".

Mark Tyson
May 12, 2003, 12:58 PM
Stupidest thing he said to me?

"You have enough guns."

Double Maduro
May 12, 2003, 03:00 PM
Was at a gun shop several years ago looking at O/U in the $800-$1000 range.

Me; I think I'll take this one.

Him: OK aim it at my eye.

Me: Why? What did you do to me?

Him: I have to make sure it fits.

Me: I only point guns at things I want to shoot and will not aim it at your eye.

Him: That is the only way I can know if it fits.

Me: You stupid *)(&%^ you just lost a sale.

The funny thing is that I am 6'1" and my hunting partner is 6'5" with much longer arms and he bought a couple guns from this idiot and they both fit him off the rack. I don't think he has ever found a gun that didn't fit.

Ivanimal
May 12, 2003, 03:59 PM
I went into a local gun store intending on buying a Browning gold hunter 3-1/2 I saved for months to buy it at $1000.00. Once in the store, I saw it on the wall and asked the kind gentleman to hand it to me for a last look see before I bought it. The reply was "why do you want that thing" I said I really love the gun and want the 3-1/2 capabilities. His reply was for the money he would take a Citori. I said great! I want the Gold 3-1/2. He said just try the Citori, he handed me a $2300.00 beautifully embelished model and proudly stated "now thats a gun!". I said yes it is sweet now can I please see the gold 3-1/2. " Too much money for ya huh? try this one"...................... I could not for the life of me get this Citori salesman to hand me my gun, I went 6 miles away and ordered one from my new favorite gun store.:banghead:

firestar
May 12, 2003, 04:04 PM
I've got another one for ya. Not really a quote so much as a story of a stupid gunstore owner.

There is a gunstore that I had been to once or twice and I had noticed that they had a Browning Hi Power for sale the last time I was there (a year ago). I had a yen to buy a Hi Power so I figuired if it is still there after a year, he may come down off his ridiculus price of $650. It is a MKII in decent shape with a few scratches, nothing special, just an average BHP.

About 2 years ago I wanted to trade my like new in box Glock 3rd gen G21 with 3 mags and two holsters and all the factory stuff. I walked in, saw that the BHP was still there (no surprise) and told the guy I wanted to trade. He asked what I had and I broght the Glock out of the bag. He said to trade the Glock for the BHP, I would have to come up with about $600 extra! I should have laughed in his face and left but I didn't think he was serious. I started talking and trying to negotiate because he had a Browning gun rug and other crap that I didn't want, I thought that I could trade the Glock with all the stuff even up for just the BHP. I was thinking maybe I would add $50 tops to the deal because I know he wants to make some money.

Turns out, his best price was my Glock plus $350 for the BHP! I thought he was joking! I laughed and told him good luck with his business and left never to return again.

This guy is an idiot, he could have had a Glock 21 and $50. The Glock was a hot item around here a few years ago and were commanding $550 and up without extra mags or holsters. He would have sold the Glock alot faster than the BHP and had $50 right away. I bet the BHP is still there.

It seems that some dealer won't bother doing business in trades unless they can make a killing. I think he could have made $50-100 on the deal easy but he was too stupid and lazy to bother. Isn't $50 for a few minuits of work worth the time? There was no way he was going to sell the BHP for $650. I have seen them at other stores for much less. If he was lucky, he might get $500 out of it but that about it. What are these people smoking?

Mike Irwin
May 12, 2003, 04:41 PM
"Thast funny. I am the Internet Sales Manager for a large honda dealership and I can agree that there are some real rocket scientists that frequent these lots..both customers and salesman."

Guilty as charged. I don't know squat about cars, and don't really want to, either.

I'd rather use that brain space for firearms knowledge.

Erik
May 12, 2003, 05:10 PM
"That rifle is ideal for home defense."

The rifle in question was a Rem 700 police sniper, or what ever name they market it as, complete with big 'ol scope and a bipod.

If your driveway is a mile or so long, maybe. ;)

QuarterBoreGunner
May 12, 2003, 05:29 PM
Me: I only point guns at things I want to shoot and will not aim it at your eye.

The only other time I head this was when I was at my old gunsmiths shop and a customer came in to have a shotgun fit to him; and yeah the 'smith and the customer both confirmed it was empty, but I could tell the customer was uncomfortable about it and it kind of gave me the jibblies to watch it.

I understand that the plain old MkI Eyeball is still the tried and true methof, but there has to be a better way; perhaps a really expensive laser calibrated machine made by the Swiss.

NRA4LIFE
May 12, 2003, 06:38 PM
Not so much stupid, but annoying. About 5 years ago after I had just moved to WA, I was at a local shop in Renton doing some price comparisons. I also had a WHOLE LOT of cash that I was looking to rid myself of on ammo and reloading supplies. As I was browsing the glass cases, the punk behind the counter came up to me and asked me not to touch or breath on the glass as he had to clean it everytime someone did so. Very smuggly I may add. I had never even said a word. I shook my head and left leaving several hundred dollars worth of stuff on a pile on the counter. I passed by there a few months back and saw the place had closed down. That made my day. They probably lost several thousand dollars of my money, easy. Stupid idiot.

tetchaje1
May 12, 2003, 07:27 PM
"The 10mm has the same ballistics as the 40S&W. "

:rolleyes: :uhoh: :banghead:

...and...

"The Glock is the only pistol on the market that can handle the recoil of the 10mm cartridge."

"Oh really," I said, "my Smith 10mm and Colt Delta Elite seem to be doing just fine."

"Well, they won't last long. Get a Glock."

Slabside
May 12, 2003, 08:04 PM
Maybe not the most stupid but definitely unsafe...

While in a well known shop looking around, I casually listen to the various conversations going on in the store. Since the store has a consignment & used display case, I often look to see what's there. Well, I had just looked the case over and didn't see anything that interested me. So, a few min later, a guy comes in to place his S&W Model 29 for sale on consignment. The gun had a huge bulge in the barrel and obviously damaged. I thought to myself, there is no way they will allow that to be sold in the store. It's unsafe unless the barrel is changed. Well, much to my chagrin, the sales person says,"we'll just tell potential buyers that our gunsmith tested the gun and it is o.k." I stood there amazed at what I had just heard. Sure enough, they placed the Smith in the case and filled out the paperwork.

Slabside

p.s. The shop in question is in middle TN.

tetchaje1
May 12, 2003, 08:08 PM
Well, much to my chagrin, the sales person says,"we'll just tell potential buyers that our gunsmith tested the gun and it is o.k."

:uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh:

I can't believe that! Oh my gosh... :banghead:

Devonai
May 12, 2003, 08:26 PM
I haven't really seen too much ignorance flying around the gun shops I frequent, but I did make a fool of myself a couple months ago.

I was at Four Seasons in Woburn, waiting to ship a pistol to my buddy in CT. There was a gentleman at the counter who was buying his first Glock, a model 21. He began talking to the owner, Carl, about the New York springs, and the difference between #1 and #2. After Carl explained to him what the difference was I chimed in and added that I preferred the 8 pound spring to the standard 5.5. Somehow during this conversation I got the wrong impression that Carl was out of 8 lb springs. The customer indicated that he wanted one as soon as possible.

ME: Oh, you can just head over to Collector's in Stoneham. They have a ton of them in stock.
CUSTOMER: Really?
CARL: Thanks a lot, Dev. I didn't want the sale anyway.

Needless to say I was flabbergasted and embarrased. Fortunately, Carl realized what I'd thought and was just joking.

Slabside
May 12, 2003, 08:38 PM
tetchaje1,

Nevertheless true. What the shame of the whole thing is, the gunsmith at this particular shop has been featured in one of the gun rags in yrs past for his fine work. In this shop, the warning of "CAVEAT EMPTOR" really does apply.

Reloader
May 12, 2003, 08:46 PM
Elk City Oklahoma- Walmart..........my 12 year old wanted to see a side by side 12 gauge shotgun. the clerk handed it to me, I broke the action open...and this idiot calls security that I broke the gun since it could not be repaiored. Luckily, the manager was close by and diffused the situation. First idiot says I will have to pay for it. Manager told me he would "counsel" Idiot number one and not to worry. My son asked if it was really broken and of course I said no. Never went back in the sports dept. again.:fire:

campergeek
May 12, 2003, 09:31 PM
Some years ago I was walking into the sporting goods section of the Wal-mart super center when I suddenly heard a crisp PLAACK! resounding from high on the glass case behind the gun counter. Surveying the situation, :uhoh: I quickly figured out that the woman working the counter had allowed a customer (now scurrying away) to look over a pellet pistol, which was now laying on the counter. Said customer had apparently loaded the pistol with a bb or pellet and accidentally (giving them the benefit of the doubt) discharged the pistol into the glass case.

The woman behind the counter, who was probably about 3 feet away from the previously mentioned customer when this happened, was visibly shaken. As she rapidly stowed the pistol below the counter, she stammered: "THAT'S why we need GUN CONTROL!" (yes, this was the woman selling the guns) :scrutiny:

My unspoken question (which should have been spoken) to the saleslady was: "Aren't YOU supposed to be in CONTROL of the guns at this counter?"

cratz2
May 12, 2003, 11:05 PM
Concerning some of the pricing posts... We just moved and I met this really nice guy that works in a pawn shop (well, actually, THE pawn shop in town) and they have a very decent collection of used guns, mostly shotguns and 22 rifles but a few centerfire rifles and handguns. I'm a regular fixture there on Thursdays and I was there chatting with my friend when the owner brings up a Walther P22 he just bought. Looked pretty much new but not absolutely perfect. So he puts it in the counter along with a price tag that is set at $325! This is the basic, one barrel P22 that my dealer sells for about $240! So after the owner walks away, I tell my friend about the price discrepancy and he hands me a Browning BAR in 300 Win Mag priced at, I kid you not, $900 that is in good condition but has visibly been taken into the field a couple times. Black metal, synthetic stock. Asked my dealer how much he charges and he said, 'Oh... about $620.'

Hawk
May 12, 2003, 11:19 PM
I'm a believer in recoil therapy. Given that I was needing a LOT of therapy, I started making phone calls for something I didn't think would be too common (I was in western NY at the time):

Me: Hi, I was wondering if you had a Ruger #1 Tropical in .375?

Clerk: The only .375's we have now are S&W and Taurus.

Me: (?!) Oh. Sorry. I must've said ".357" - I meant ".375" - as in "H&H".

Clerk: Hang on ... ... Nope, all our .375's are revolvers.

Me: Sell many of 'em?

Clerk: Yeah, they move pretty good.

Me: Must be a tough bunch of hombres - :what:

Clerk: Yeah, those Smith's can knock you right on your....hang on...

***sound of muted conversation in background***

Store owner picks up phone: Buddy, if you can shoot a .375 revolver, I'll GIVE you the Tropical - and quit pickin' on my newbie.

Sale made. Happy customer.

Jrob24
May 13, 2003, 12:07 AM
I was at Four Seasons in Woburn, waiting to ship a pistol to my buddy in CT

That's my favorite gunstore. I bought my first gun there. I haven't heard anything stupid said there but I got an unpleasant surprise when I picked an SKS off the rack. The discovery of cosmoline :eek: BTW: Holly is a great sales VP

Kenneth Lew
May 13, 2003, 12:57 AM
A gunshop in Houston that also sells scuba equipment.

I was looking for any wartime artillery that accepted a shoulder stock.

Me: What type of luger is that in the counter?

Employee: I do not know, you would have to speak with the owner of the store to find out.

Me: How much is it at least since there is no tag on the pistol.

Employee: You would have to speak with the owner about the pistol.

Me: May I take a closer look are it?

Employee: ARE YOU SERIOUS ABOUT THE PISTOL, BECUASE DO YOU KNOW HOW HARD IS IT FOR ME TO MOVE THOSE 2 OTHER PISTOLS TO GET TO THAT ONE!!!!

Me: How can I be serious, if you do not know what it is and the price.

Last time, I'm going in there. At least the place on Collector's Firearms treats the customers with better respect. That is worth the extra price.

Kenneth Lew

Covey Rise
May 13, 2003, 03:32 AM
Asked if they had some Corbon .40 ammo, the clerk behind counter wearing a Glock Perfection Jacket, sure what kind of gun do you shoot, I said Steyr, he says you should get Glock, that Steyr is prone to blow up with powerful .40 ammo.

pax
May 13, 2003, 03:49 AM
Newbie friend of mine, getting ready to buy his first handgun, walked into a shop in Oregon to rent a gun.

Newbie, eyeing the Glocks for rent: "I'm trying to decide which of these to rent. What's the difference between a 9mm and a 10mm?"

Salesguy, sullenly: "1mm." Period, full stop. Then he turned on his heel and walked away.

Newbie friend left the shop and never spent a dime there.

pax

The expert at anything was once a beginner. -- Hayes

jdkelly
May 13, 2003, 11:02 AM
I've had poor customer service experiences at a local range/gun store.

1) I wanted to buy a PC629. I opened a magazine, pointed to the gun and asked the manager if he could get me one (for $999.99). He turned, looked, said "no", and turned away to continue a conversation about put-put golf. (Now that was stupid) That night, I made a call to another store (Carl at FourSeasons), he had one for me in 10 days.

2) I wanted a PC952. I asked the manager about the 952 he didn't know anything about it and showed no interest in finding out. (Now that was stupid) I stopped at another store on the way home, got the information I needed, and ordered it right then (it took awhile to come in but it's nice).

3) I want an SVI! I asked the manager if he could get me availability and pricing for the gun. He didn't know what it was, but said he'd have the information by Friday (cool!). On Friday I asked him what he got. He had forgotten all about the gun, he couldn't even remember the brand. He said he'd have the information by Wednesday. Well, It's been a couple months without any information. (Now that was stupid)

That's about $4,000 total they havn't had time for, and yet they get upset when I come in with a new gun to shoot on their range.

jdkelly

Double Naught Spy
May 13, 2003, 11:22 AM
In the context of gun types and people, the statement was "This is a lady's gun." And my thought was something like, "As opposed to a boarding house madam's gun?"

tetchaje1
May 13, 2003, 11:55 AM
Asked if they had some Corbon .40 ammo, the clerk behind counter wearing a Glock Perfection Jacket, sure what kind of gun do you shoot, I said Steyr, he says you should get Glock, that Steyr is prone to blow up with powerful .40 ammo.

:scrutiny: :uhoh: :scrutiny:

Yessiree. That guy knew what he was talking about. :barf:

Midnight
May 13, 2003, 03:30 PM
A friend and I are standing in the mil-surp section of the lgs when one of the sales people is wandering around. He has a piece of weed-whacker line and is sticking it in the bores of some of the rifles. He gets close to us, sticks it in the bore of a Yugo M-48, and pulls it out covered in cosmoline. He looks at us and says "This is why I don't buy these . Me and my friend look at him and say at the same time "It comes out. All you have to do is clean it." Salesman replies, not wanting to admit he made a mistake, "F&*k that.":rolleyes:

mephisto
May 13, 2003, 03:58 PM
The best thing about gun stores is the difference of opinions from two or more sales people. I went in one here in phoenix a year or so ago looking for a handgun (auto) and I asked ????? #1 about a Steyr m9 and he said it was a pos. When I asked #2 he said it was made by glock but sold as a steyr. The best was #3. I can’t believe this person can actually breath with out thinking about it. He said that it was a Chinese knock off of a sigma. And if you could get 50 shots off with it you were lucky. Each one of these ??????s tried to get me to buy a Ruger; I like Rugers, for 480. The reason why was that they had about 25 P-89 and P-90s. I went back last week to get some ammo from the store and not a single one of the them were working there. And another thing I hate is when the treat you like your some dumb guy that has never even seen a gun.

(please mind the language: moderator)

braindead0
May 13, 2003, 04:04 PM
"Wolf ammo is great stuff".

that's all I got, I generally ignore the salespeople, unless the sound like they might actually not be full of <expletive>

Slabside
May 13, 2003, 04:24 PM
The same shop I referred to in my earlier post...

"Transfers are $50 or 10% of the cost of the gun, whichever is greater.":what:

"We sell our guns at only 10% over invoice." So, I ask why they want $569 for a Glock 19???

Great stuff huh?

Slabside

cool45auto
May 13, 2003, 04:32 PM
Not really stupid but for every gun I looked at today the clerk said that particular model was the best one he had. :rolleyes:

Blain
May 13, 2003, 05:21 PM
I heard talk in a local gun store that a semi-auto pistol was better than a revolver because you could bluff better with the semi-auto...

Their point was that a guy could see the loaded rounds in the cylinder on a revolver but wouldn't know whether or not a semi-auto had a round chambered (unless the light was just right) or not, so you could pull a bluff better.

That's most likely true!

Transfers are $50 or 10% of the cost of the gun, whichever is greater." :what:

You think that's bad, Slabside? I got that one BEAT! A shop I know around here demands that you pay $50 PLUS 10% of the cost of the gun!!!!!!!! They lied and claimed it was a state law to charge 10% (never heard of that law before). Worst buisness ethics out of all the shops I know

That means if I had my custom gun shipped to him I would be paying $250 extra!!!!!!!! :what: :what: :what:

I finally found a small, but reasonable shop which does transfers for $20!

Now another tale from that same shop as before (the $50 +10% rip off ones.

I was in looking at one of the many overpriced M1 garands, when I noticed a new one had came in. This one was actually reasonably priced at $700. Had a nice shiny laminated stock, and look nice all around. I went into the shop, and I was VERY close to buying the gun that very day. However, I wanted to try to bargin the gun down and get a better deal on it so I offered $600.

"No way are we going to offer you that gun for $600! It actually should be more money! We should RAISE the price of this gun! (he tells his coworker who nods in approval)

He then takes the gun (which had a Springfield Reciever) and looks at the barrels markings. He discovers that the barrel is a Winchester, so he goes....

"That there is a Winchester barrel which is very rare since not many Winchester M1s were made! He then goes on to tell me how the barrel makes the gun worth that much more and that since the Winchester barrel was installed around the 70's, that it can be fired without damage from ammo (***????)

"this stamp on the barrel means it was replaced in the 70's so it would be better resistant than the older origonal barrels"

Anyway, I was close to buying it but said I wouldn't unless it was reduced closer to $600, they said no and by all means told me to go through the CMP route if I wanted. Also noted that it cost money to join the CMP club and all that.

Then one of the dealers says to me "If you buy that I GARANTEE that you get M1 thumb!"

IT should also be noted that the dealer charges $2 for stripper clips ($5 for loaded ones fmj ball). He is like,

"these stripper clips are very rare and hard to find", and I was like
"What? There are many surpluss clips and I can find them on the internet for a dollar and under."
and he said
"Then go buy them there."

I was so disgusted with them all that I just walked out the door and have never returned. Shame too because it is a nice shop, not many gun shops around MA these days

Now let's see someone try to top that!!!!!!

That is a MA Dealer for you! A TRUE MASS-HOLE!!!!!
:cuss: :fire:

SodaPop
May 13, 2003, 08:43 PM
I'm laughing at how hot of a topic this is. Look at how many posts and views this thread has.

There are lots of big-dumb-stupid-heads that work at gun shops.

coonan357
May 13, 2003, 09:34 PM
was told the only way to get .357 magnum is either the desert eagle or in a revolver ... then what the heck is the gun I own ?? a figment of my imagination???

JohnKSa
May 14, 2003, 12:36 AM
What comes to mind is standing in line at the range (also a gun store) while the owner's idiot kid told the folks with the Romanian AK that steel case ammo would break the extractor which would cost them $100 to replace.

CZ-75
May 14, 2003, 12:49 AM
That is a MA Dealer for you! A TRUE MASS-HOLE!!!!!

Smart of him to PO what has to be an ever-shrinking customer base in a gun-unfriendly state. :rolleyes:

Something about rude, ignorant redneck types that makes them think they can be successful in the gun business as though the rules of customer service don't apply to them. :mad:

vmi93
May 14, 2003, 06:57 AM
The Garand post reminded me of #2 stupid statement.

"You can't get surplus .30-06 anymore. That all dried up in the '70's."

I restrained myself from shwoing the goof the last SOG flyer (Korean .30-06, Danish .30-06 in clips).

Do shop owners surf the internet or read their junk mail?

Brendan
May 14, 2003, 12:07 PM
#1 - "Glocks are junk, they fall apart"

#2 - At a gun show, at the table of one of those cheap AR15 parts and kit dealers you see in shotgun news , (knowing the answer) my friend asks ' how do you check the headspace on a AR15?' dealer, picks up a barrel and a bolt "just put the bolt in here, and if you can twist it, its fine"

#3 - a dealer that has a sign posted that reads "we will match anyones price", so I say I'll buy that pistol but I know this other shop has it for this price, salesman gets on the phone with the owner who asks "Why do you want to buy it here?"

Brian Williams
May 14, 2003, 12:49 PM
I was at a local establishment and the Lughead behind the counter was wearing a full Cowboy rig SAA, Drop Holster with tie down(tied down of course), full cartridge belt and every loop loaded with 45 LC.

If that was not bad enough he also had his Semi-auto on his hip belt just above the Drop rig.

This guy is an IDIOT, he had a beautiful matched set S&W 586 and a 19 which he was showing me where he took the guns flipped open the cylinder and gave it a spin and flipped his wrist and snapped the cylinder closed. This guy probably has taken many years off of the life of many a gun with his spinning and abuse.

This guy was also showing another customer how a SAA spins on his finger and just about dropped it.

Most of the other guys there are really good but this one is Certifiable

sarge83
May 14, 2003, 03:02 PM
My best gun shop story: I usually buy from a local pawn shop, they have a good selection and I know one of the owners and they are pretty good to deal with. One day I was on the other end of town and decided to check out the only true Gun Shop in town, instead of the pawn shop, just to see what they had. Walked in and was just looking around and the owner strikes up a conversation, tells me that he has a sale going on a wonderful little gun. Thinking he might be selling Maks my interest perks up. He pulls out a chrome plated Jennings .380 and proceeds to explain all the wonderful things about this gun: the finish, the stopping power of the .380, the quality... I just smile, say thanks for you time and walk out the door wondering how many he hooked with that load of crap. Haven't been back since.

ranger
May 14, 2003, 06:47 PM
Here's one, from California Weapons & Ammo in San Mateo, CA.

I'd already bought a used police 870 at this store, the owner even sent me a "christmas card" flyer the year before this.

It's the closest shop to where I was working at the time.

Went in with a pocketful of cash, looking for a simple Ruger pistol.

Before getting down to business, i'm just browsing.

The owner came out and asked me to leave!

He said he's by himself, and had to close for lunch.

He didn't ask if he could help me, or whether I wanted anything. Just asked me to leave.

I chalked it up to a bad day, cultural differences, whatever. I went back less than a month later, on MY lunch break. Same thing, I'm seriously looking for a rifle, ready to buy.

Same thing, he comes out from behind the counter and asks me to leave!

So I did, for good. Incredible he's still in business.

QuarterBoreGunner
May 14, 2003, 06:59 PM
Hey Ranger, welcome to THR, always nice to see more Kali residents chime in.

I thought I knew most of the gun stores in the Bay Area, where's this one in San Mateo?

ranger
May 14, 2003, 07:29 PM
CA Weapons & Ammo is at 2323 S EL CAMINO REAL. Just north of the Hillsdale shopping mall.

Two freeway exits down is Imbert & Smithers, which is where I went instead. They have their less-well-educated behind-the-counter-folks too, but they never kicked me out. A couple of the guys there seem pretty knowledgable, at least in areas of which I know nothing (rifles, in general.)

50 Freak
May 14, 2003, 08:43 PM
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

NEVER GO THERE, besides CA weapons and ammo is no longer there.

This is the place that charged me $250 bucks for taxes and $65 bucks for a transfer on a Serbu 50 cal. Even when I handled all the money transactions over the internet myself and all they did was do the paper transfer of the Serbu BFG to me, and the hold the gun during the wait period.

Far as I'm concerned they can go to Hell!!!! :cuss: :fire: :cuss: :fire: :cuss:

CZ-75
May 15, 2003, 02:08 AM
NEVER GO THERE...!!!

CA Weapons?

OR

Imbert & Smithers?

:confused:

twoblink
May 15, 2003, 05:25 AM
Woman walks into the store, she looks visably shaken.. She's about 5'2", and maybe 90lbs. Sickly and fragile..

[Woman] I want to buy a gun for self defense, but I want something easy, that I can use.. I've held a real gun before, much less shot one..

Man behind the counter hands her a .44Mag revolver. "here you go! This will fulfill all your self defense needs."

I had a talk with the store boss about that... I want to ENCOURAGE women to shoot, not make sure they will never shoot..

The man no longer works at the store.....

tetchaje1.. ask him "Do you know what unsupported 6 o'clock means"?

280PLUS
May 15, 2003, 08:31 AM
me, "will i be able to spot .223 at 200 yards with this scope?"

stupid store salesman, "yes."

:cuss:

Shaggy
May 15, 2003, 11:13 AM
This was at a gun show which may be a whloe new topic.....

I wanted to buy some Gold Dot ammo and this dealer told me that the Federal Hydra Shok was better because that little nipple inside the bullet made the bullet start to expand before impact. :eek: Then he proceeded to show me an illustration in the Federal catalog...it shows the bullet from left to right in several pics as it goes from unmared bullet to full expansion. He says imagine the hole that sucker will put in a bad guy.

I just shook my head and held my tounge. I wanted to tell him that's odd because I have shot Hydra Shoks many times at paper targets and the hole was always .451(.45ACP Kimber) or there abouts.

--------

That story above about the guy having the wrong gun for his bullets was something else. I about fell out of my chair laughing at that. That can not be true. It surely takes the cake!!!!!! LMAO!!!!!!

ImJustRick
May 15, 2003, 12:11 PM
I think I mentioned this somewhere else, on a different thread, but I think it's worth repeating. This is SUCH a good topic! :)

For a while I was kicking around the idea of picking up a KelTec, a P32 or a P11. So I go to a nearby shop and he has no P32s.

Me: "Okay, can I see that P11 please?"

Shop Guy (annoyed that he has to stop his conversation about a 1966 Mustang): "You don't want a P11. Try this."

...and hands me a Standard Arms SA-9. Price: $235!

I look at the gun, look at him, and say, "No, I'd like to see the P11." (I should have walked out right then.

Shop owner (Still with phone stuck under his chin): "This is the same thing. It's just made by a different company, but it's exactly the same."

Me: "Uh Huh. So the KelTec frame cracks after 50 rounds, too?"

Gun shop owner: "Well, you have a lifetime warranty on it. See, they make them low-priced, thinking "a chicken in every pot", you know, affordable guns for everyone, and they back them up with a great warranty."

I didn't even bother letting on that I knew Standard was a) Out of business and b) Basically Lorcin under a different name.

$235 for the POS!:banghead:

Same at a P11! :banghead:

Never been back. If he's going to try to dump his junk on anyone who walks through the door, I'll look elsewhere.

-R

tetchaje1
May 15, 2003, 12:41 PM
I just cannot figure out why gunshops seem to be magnets for idiots, and it is just disgraceful when they try to dump whatever POS that isn't selling on every unsuspecting individual who walks through the door. I mean, geez, self-defense is a very serious business to be in. Handing a first time shooter a 44mag, or touting a Jennings as the "finest defense weapon" or whatever is just disgraceful. :fire:

I've been told several times that SIGs are junk and that Safari Arms (a glorified Auto Ordnance) is the "hot new 1911". Of course, the 15 year old Hydra-shok is the best ammo on the market -- regardless of the fact that is clogs miserably when shot through cloth, and that the 45ACP will "knock 'em down". :rolleyes:

And can anybody confirm that "Sendra" makes Colts receivers? :rolleyes: I was in a pawn shop last week and noticed a pre-ban AR15, asked the make and price, and I was told "Sendra" but they made all of the receivers for Colt back then so it is just as good. In all honesty, the thing looked like a POS upon closer inspection. I gave the gunshop idiot the "you are so full of horsecrap" look and walked out.

synoptic
May 18, 2003, 11:27 PM
Woohoo, I have a story to tell now! I had told my mom I wanted an SKS for my birthday. Well, she goes to Academy and asks the guy behind the gun counter what an SKS is. He looks at her funny and tells her it is an assault rifle. So she asks if they have any. His eyes get wide :what: and gives her a shocked "UH, NO!"

While my family is not anti-gun, they really have no interest in guns. Now I have to clean up this idiot's mess and explain to my mother why I want an "assault rifle". GRRRRRRR............

Sleeping Dog
May 19, 2003, 12:07 PM
"This ammo is for police only. But I can sell you some".

Ala Dan
May 19, 2003, 02:44 PM
I overheard this pawn shop salesman tell a
perspective buyer, " Yep, that there is a .357
magnum; it will knock the motor out of a car"!:uhoh:

He was referring to a NIB Smith & Wesson model
28-2 with a 6" barrel.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

XxAR10xX
May 19, 2003, 03:00 PM
At Turners in Cali (Cicra the latest ban and registration)
This is me overhearing the salesman talking to a customer:

"You know that these 10/22's are gonna be banned pretty soon, being that they have magazine clips and are semi auto. (customer is like - "huh?"). That's right, so if you're gonna buy one, you better pick it up now."

For the record, I cannot stand most of the sales people at Turners. A bunch of the ones I've met are the redneck hicks that talk down to you like they are the know-all gun gods. They feel so validated because they work at Turners and often times use hype techniques, feeding on the political climate here in Kali. I swear that they try to make everyone believe that every single gun in stock is gonna get banned tomorrow, so you must buy now.

Nowadays I just do my biz thru the internet, and the local FFL.

DJJ
May 19, 2003, 03:14 PM
I did a transfer at the one in Reseda a while back. The first time, I told the salesman clearly that I had a UL listed safe, and that was apparently the end of it. When I went back 10 days later, they had added the $20 or so for the approved lock to the paperwork. When I protested, and described my safe (clearly labelled with a UL sticker and external hinges), the salesman tried to tell me no safe with external hinges is UL rated.

LiquidTension
May 19, 2003, 03:37 PM
This is all pretty funny stuff. I've had pretty good luck with Shooter's Choice here in Columbia and with The Gunsmith right down the road. Lots of times Palmetto Firearms employees don't know the answer to questions I ask, but they admit that they don't know and don't try to make stuff up.

I did have some kid ask me to buy a revolver for him at a gun show one time :uhoh:

50 Freak
May 20, 2003, 12:57 AM
hey I used to work for turners......I was one of the first employees when the pasadena store opened.

Don't know about now, but the guys I worked with at that time all knew a crap load about guns. We each had our specialities.

One 6'5 red neck biker type dude was the revolver expert.

One american cherokee (ex vietnam sniper) was a single action expert.

Manager was a HK expert and the rest of us just handled the glocks, etc.

Even the girls that worked with us knew a lot about the "black" rifles.

Them was the good ole days.:(

DNA
May 20, 2003, 03:21 AM
"Hmmm... this might have too much recoil for you cause you see it's a 9mm" After he looked at my wrists... My reply was, can't be as bad as the Super Redhawk in .44mag or the Desert Eagle in .44mag I shot a few weeks ago right? (-_-)'''

Dan

If you enjoyed reading about "Stupidest thing you heard a gun store salesman say?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!