Range Rod Sources?

PDA

TooTaxed
August 27, 2006, 03:24 PM
Am looking for a good 34 or 35" range rod, tapped for 10-32 on both ends, with an 8-32 adaptor. I've been partial to brass, but would consider others. Want it strong enough to pull stuck loads and patches by pulling on a slotted angle iron. Can make my own "T" handles out of oak or hickory branches.

Suggestions?:confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "Range Rod Sources?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Manyirons
August 27, 2006, 03:49 PM
Maker outta steel dril rod er ask my BOSS.

http://www.bigironbarrels.com/

4v50 Gary
August 27, 2006, 04:48 PM
Look around at the buildings you enter for brass panic exit hardware. Once you find a building, ask for the superintendent's or facility manager's phone #. Contact him and ask for their supplier of panic hardware. Then call the panic hardware folk and ask for that brass rod. You cut to length and then drill & tap it for the size you want. Attach handle and voila, lifetime warranty range rod made by you!

Then again, a metal dealer may be able to help you and it's a whole lot easier.

Chawbaccer
August 27, 2006, 05:46 PM
Lowes has brass rod in one of their bins, I just use a ordinary ram rod form mine.

Plink
August 27, 2006, 11:10 PM
If you want it strong enough to pull a stuck ball, I'd consider the stainless steel rods that are on the market. Nothing would be worse than to have the threads strip out on a brass rod, or worse yet, the tip break off, leaving the puller lodged in the ball. I bought a stainless rod from TOW and am glad I did. Dixie has them too.

MutinousDoug
August 27, 2006, 11:53 PM
Look at: "aramrod.com" BH tool company of North Bend, OR. He makes Aluminum rods threaded on both ends in numerous sizes and lengths.
the anodizing dye doesn't hold up to the chemical composition of BP byproducts but the rods are "Hell for stout" as far as pulling dead balls. I've used one (actually 2) for 15 years.
HTH

If you enjoyed reading about "Range Rod Sources?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!