OK to break down a handgun and carry only parts into prohibited areas?

PDA

waynesan
August 27, 2006, 09:47 PM
Sometimes when going to a place that prohibits legal carry I will remove the cylinder and bullets from a mini revolver that I carry most of the time ( I know! I know! I've read a thousand reasons not to carry a itty bitty gun but sometimes it just works for my situation).
I also will remove the slide and magazine from my auto ( See! I get it right part of the time anyway) and take that in with me. This way if a BG breaks in my car he won't have a functioning firearm and as I see it, I am not carrying a firearm either. Just a part of one.
Anyone ever been caught carrying just part of a gun in an off limits place or area? Does anyone know of any legal problems of doing this?

If you enjoyed reading about "OK to break down a handgun and carry only parts into prohibited areas?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ohen Cepel
August 27, 2006, 10:05 PM
Some places having ammo will get you into trouble, so leave that behind.

I think you might be pushing it though having a part (and I'm sure the serial numbered portion will get you big trouble since it's usually considered as the weapon even without parts). I caught grief for just having a wooden stock part once. They want to know where the rest is and don't want to believe you.

Why not leave it in pieces in the car? A bad guy isn't going to go through the whole car on an Easter egg hunt looking for the part to put it back together, even if he knows how.

You might be legal, but it could cause you a lot of grief.

redneckdan
August 27, 2006, 10:13 PM
i was planning on taking a trip to montana this year and thought about taking a disassembled 1911 with me on a greyhound to skirt the "no guns" policy. Finally I relized it was better to just mail it to a ups or fedex location and have it held for pick up by me.

Green Lantern
August 28, 2006, 10:50 AM
I thought about this for getting my P3AT to PA next year via AmTrak, but I don't know if it would fly.

OT, but we NEED to get the bill passed to restore the 2A to Washington DC! Then the anti's at AmTrak could no longer say it's against the law (they go by DC laws) for their passengers to bring firearms! :cuss:

Art Eatman
August 28, 2006, 11:38 AM
If you're in a zone that's prohibited by law, disassembly won't help you, other than in the penalty phase, possibly, regarding intent. But, since you could have readily assembled the pieces, you might be penalized quite heavily.

As far as evading some corporate policy, that's another matter. For the Greyhound example, if somehow the pieces are discovered (granted that it's unlikely), all they gotta do is say, "Quit trespassing; go away. No refunds." and you're on the street in West Bugtussle, Kansas.

Hassle factors just ain't worth it.

Art

If you enjoyed reading about "OK to break down a handgun and carry only parts into prohibited areas?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!