side scope mounted question?

PDA

somoss
August 28, 2006, 03:53 AM
for those with more scope knowlesge than me (almost none). can a "L" shaped side scope base be installed so that the scope ends up floating to the side of the rifle instead of over it. meaning, if you took a regular side mount and turned it 180 degrees on its axis. this would leave the action and loading area completely open. i am interested in doing this for various reasons but the main is that i can not use a scope with my right eye and can shoot with the left arm. but there are other reasons.
someone please help......
thanks
safety, accuracy?
i already know that a gun like that is going to be a problem in carryign it around...

If you enjoyed reading about "side scope mounted question?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rivergun
September 22, 2006, 08:41 PM
I've seen scope mounts set off to the side and they work just fine. It would depend on the type of mount and how it would be mounted. A 98 mauser with a German Sniper mount was available during WWII easily mounted with a lower power scope and a sporter stock this will let you feed ammo using the 5 round stripper clip, etc. Another conversion is the SMLE when mounting a scope and using the military stock the magazine could be used. These offer quite a bit of room to use the (other) eye , and there are offset stocking methods too.
Hope this helps.

Jim K
September 22, 2006, 09:15 PM
If I understand correctly, you want the scope to be to the upper left of the receiver, as seen from the rear, so you can shoot from the right shoulder but use the scope with your dominant left eye. If I am not correct, please advise.

If I am correct, the only thing I can say is that I have never seen it done. The normal side scope base is fitted on the inside to the contour of the receiver, and could not be made to fit the other way without a lot of machining, if at all, and the rings are made to fit the base in only one way.

You could have a mount custom made, but that would be costly. If you think that might be done, make good drawings, with all dimensions and angles laid out, then go, not to a gunsmith, but to a general purpose machine shop. I have no real idea of what it would cost, but I suspect not much over $200 if the thing is fairly simple. They might even be able to use a simple piece of angle iron to attach to the rifle as an upside down "L", then screw a flat Weaver one-piece base to the top for the rings.

Jim

If you enjoyed reading about "side scope mounted question?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!