Congress caves in to gun manufacturers

PDA

2dogs
May 9, 2003, 07:42 AM
WND seems to be trying for the FOX "fair and balanced" thing- unfortunately it gives idiot liberals like Bill Press a chance to bloviate.:barf:

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=32485

Congress caves in to gun manufacturers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: May 9, 2003
1:00 a.m. Eastern

© 2003 Tribune Media Services, Inc.

Early last Oct. 22, Conrad Johnson got up early, kissed his wife Denise and two sons goodbye and went off to his job as bus driver for Montgomery County, Md., just outside of Washington, D.C. As he walked out the door, his wife called out to him her daily warning: "Be careful!"

They were the last words she spoke to him. A couple of hours later, as he prepared to pick up his first passengers for the day, Conrad Johnson was shot and killed in the doorway of his bus: the last of the Washington area sniper victims.

To the relief of Denise Johnson and relatives of other victims, sniper suspects John Mohammed and Lee Boyd Malvo are now behind bars in Virginia, both charged with serial murders and facing the death penalty. Their fate will be determined by the criminal courts.

For Mrs. Johnson, that's not enough. She has also decided to sue the gun dealer and gun manufacturer for civil damages. But she may never be able to do so – because the United States Congress, bowing to intense political pressure from the gun lobby – may prevent her from doing so.

Everybody agrees that the gun dealer, Bull's Eye Shooter Supply in Tacoma, Wash., should be held responsible. The owners of Bull's Eye admit they didn't realize the Bushmaster assault rifle used by the snipers was missing from their inventory until after police arrested the suspects and traced the gun to their store. Not only that, they can't account for over 200 other guns that somehow disappeared from their shelves.

But Bushmaster, the gun manufacturer, is also in the wrong. It certainly bears responsibility for failing to require its dealers, like Bull's Eye, to keep track of their inventory. It's also responsible for putting a killer weapon into the hands of criminals.

True, because of some modification in its manufacture, that particular gun is a legal weapon, not included on the list of assault rifles banned by Congress. And, true, it is not a defective product. No matter. It is still a weapon designed for one purpose only, to kill a lot of people in very little time, and it has no place in private hands.

"I don't understand why Bushmaster would sell this military-style assault rifle to the civilian public," Denise Johnson recently told the Washington Post. "This is not a gun for hunters or home defense. It is a gun for the military or law enforcement." Yet, as Johnson points out, Bushmaster not only markets the gun, it also sells an attachment called the "ultimate sniper grip." How handy for Mohammed and Malvo. How deadly for Conrad Johnson.

Now, I admit, whether or not Mrs. Johnson has a valid case is debatable. Personally, I think she does have a legitimate, legal beef against both dealer and manufacturer. You may disagree.

But we should all agree on this: That issue is best decided by the courts, and not by some special act of Congress. Yet that's exactly what's about to happen. Congress is poised to enact legislation, S. 659, giving gun makers immunity from all civil lawsuits, thereby unfairly stacking the deck against victims of violent crimes. "I understood when I filed the case that I was not guaranteed victory," Denise Johnson acknowledges, "but that's OK. All I wanted was my day in court. But if S. 659 passes, the courthouse door will be slammed in my face."

This is nothing but pure special-interest legislation, designed to benefit one industry only, in return for campaign cash. There is no such protection proposed for automobile manufacturers, makers of kitchen knives, baseball bats or other legal products that are potential murder weapons.

Why a free pass for gun manufacturers only? Follow the money!

The National Shooting Sports Foundation, sponsor of the gun-immunity legislation, is nothing but a public-relations front for gun makers. Over the last five years, the nation's biggest gun manufacturers, including Smith & Wesson and Remington, have chipped in $100 million to sponsor ads pressuring members of Congress to vote their way. Gun groups have also lined members' pockets with millions of dollars in campaign contributions.

So there you have it: the latest example of your tax dollars at work. Federal law will soon strip Denise Johnson and other gun widows from their constitutional right to sue. Because the gun lobby has bought the United States Congress – lock, stock and barrel.

If you enjoyed reading about "Congress caves in to gun manufacturers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
El Tejon
May 9, 2003, 09:24 AM
HOORAY!

Stop the bleating! Stop the free riding! Stop punishing the innocent because you can! Stop attacking the productive!

HOORAY!

2dogs
May 9, 2003, 09:36 AM
and other gun widows

Gun widows- has a real catchy feel to it doesn't it? I can see liberals lined up from here to jibip waiting to talk about "gun widows".:barf:

For the purposes of folks on this board- would a "gun widow" be the same as a "football widow"?;)

agricola
May 9, 2003, 11:01 AM
the case against Bushmaster is clearly frivolous, but there is a viable case of negligence against the dealer on the facts as reported.

2dogs
May 9, 2003, 11:06 AM
agricola

The last I read, Malvo said he stole the gun (shoplifted it), so I don't know if the store would be found negligent.

agricola
May 9, 2003, 11:19 AM
if thats their defence then so be it

Mike Irwin
May 9, 2003, 11:32 AM
"Failing to require Bulls Eye to keep track of its inventory..."

Uh, then BATF should very well be held responsible, as well, as inventory tracking comes under BATF's area of responsibility.

I can't think of a single industry that requires (or is required legally, for that matter) its dealers to maintain dealer-mandated inventory controls once the product has been purchased by the retail store.

That's just plain stupid.

hutch24
May 9, 2003, 12:13 PM
Federal law will soon strip Denise Johnson and other gun widows from their constitutional right to sue.

Since when were frivolous lawsuits a constitutionally protected right? :confused:

Standing Wolf
May 9, 2003, 01:04 PM
To the relief of Denise Johnson and relatives of other victims, sniper suspects John Mohammed and Lee Boyd Malvo are now behind bars in Virginia, both charged with serial murders and facing the death penalty. Their fate will be determined by the criminal courts.
For Mrs. Johnson, that's not enough.

Nothing will be enough for the leftist extremists until the last firearms manufacturer has been bankrupted and the last law-abiding American citizen disarmed.

This site is still in extreme slow motion. I'll give it another try later, but it's just wasting too much of my time.

Feanaro
May 9, 2003, 04:51 PM
Constitutional right to sue people who aren't responsible for what happened? Never heard of that one.

Nathaniel Firethorn
May 9, 2003, 05:04 PM
It's kind of like Goliath "caving in" to David.

- pdmoderator

DonP
May 9, 2003, 05:10 PM
I like that.

It seems that the anti people are really starting to freak out and grow more anxious and hysterical with each state that passes concealed carry or everytime the Dem's run away from the gun grabbing issue.

Most of us sat by relatively quietly for years while these emotionally driven idiots leveraged death at Columbine and other new events for their own gun grabbing ends. (Oh, and big fat salaries for their organizations too.)

Now that we actually have the audacity to vote and fight back through the ballot box and through legal means, it's making them crazy. How dare gun owners disagree with them! They know better than we do and we're all a bunch of gun lovin' bubba's just sitting around on the proch, next to the chevy on blocks shootin at the neighbor's cats ... oh, and spittin tabbacky now and then.

Hey, liberal morons, there's 80 million plus of us out here and we and our families and friends have just started to vote "our issue" more aggrssively. We changed the last three major elections and we'll keep doing it every time you fools come up with a new "common sense" gun control proposal. Keep it up and the only seats you may have in Congress are New York and California and the only way you'll ever see the White House again is on a tour.

Columnists like that should sit down, shut up and take their medicine. Or maybe they should try a day at the range with some of us.

Just my .02 again.

Don P.

If you enjoyed reading about "Congress caves in to gun manufacturers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!