Polypatches...Good or Bad?

PDA

TooTaxed
August 28, 2006, 08:37 PM
What's your experience with these? If bad, what has been the problem? How does accuracy compare with cloth patches?:confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "Polypatches...Good or Bad?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
frosty
August 29, 2006, 12:11 AM
Tootaxed: Every factory muzzleloader I've purchased in the past 15 years or so dont recomend using polypatches. It's real easy for the ball to disloge from the patch causing a dangereous situation:eek: Your better off with cloth patching of the proper thickness, and a fiber wad behind the ball on top of the powder for heavy charges that may burn through the initial patch. Good luck and good shooting.

Smokin_Gun
August 29, 2006, 02:24 AM
Get some blue or red pillow ticking from your local WalMart...sold by the yard.
I have found nothing that works better. Your choice on a lube, I use Mooses Milk.

arcticap
August 29, 2006, 10:52 AM
Hornady came out with a new sabot/ball combo. a while back that was specifically designed for patchless roundball shooting. These were packaged with the right size roundball and they were named "hardball". The ball reportedly fits in the sabot better so it shouldn't work loose, and it shoots with decent accuracy.

Hornady shows them here as the "Hardball System":

https://www.hornady.com/shop/?ps_session=15993a5feb9049f5cc627f9e15bb7c07&page=shop%2Fbrowse&category_id=60c98fec8de0f35ede7490eba72ce09c

RadioTech
August 29, 2006, 11:14 AM
I have used poly patches in some rifles and cloth in others. I depends which shoots better. My experience is you would have a hard time dislodging a bullet from the patch, it grips really tight when you short start into the rifling. I have 58 cal. that uses poly patches and a 45 that prefers cloth. I have shot both in 50 cal. but settled on the Lee REAL bullet as best shooter. I think its like reloading, you have to try the components to find what suits your particular firearm.

If you enjoyed reading about "Polypatches...Good or Bad?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!