Coming out of the Gun Closet

PDA

Prince Yamato
August 29, 2006, 12:18 AM
This is probably going to be one of those threads that gets one reply but oh well.

The other day, i was walking around town and I noticed an (obviously old because the date passed already) poster for national coming-out/gay pride week and I thought to myself, "jeez, you know, that's kind of how I feel as a gun-owner" like you can't tell anyone without being derided or mocked and when I do tell someone, it has to be in a whisper. What if, much like the LBGTQ community we had a "Gun-Pride" week where we could celebrate the second ammendment. Hell, Knob Creek could be our San Francisco. Much as the gay community wears the (what used to be) subtle rainbow flag pins. What if we wore MOLON LABE pins? Which are pretty non-descript until someone asks what it means, then we educate them on our aims, just like the LBGTQ community educates others on their aims?

Why do you wear the pin?

*I support everyone's right to bear arms, it's a right the shall not be infringed upon.

*I'm sick of being discriminated against, being called a 'nut', a 'murderer', accused of having 'an arsenal' and being treated like a criminal.

*I'm sick of being presumed 'guilty' until proven innocent.

*I choose not to be a victim of violent crime, rape, or murder.

*I oppose the gun grabbers who want to take away my rights.

*I want everyone to know that owning guns isn't a partisan issue, it's a human right.

--- can't wait for my one reply...

If you enjoyed reading about "Coming out of the Gun Closet" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GoRon
August 29, 2006, 12:30 AM
Is this where I put +1?

:D

tackleberry
August 29, 2006, 12:41 AM
not a bad idea.

we won't have to wear leather will we??:what:

Nematocyst
August 29, 2006, 12:43 AM
OK, you're safe. You've now gotten three responses. ;)

I find myself in the same position. Even though I've been a gun owner almost continuously since I was 9 (I'm now 56), I've been in the gun closet for a long time. A large part of that has been because: 1) I've been in academia for much of that time, and academia isn't a bastion of gun ownership; 2) admittedly, for one reason or another, I've been thrown together for much of the last 30 years with folks of fairly liberal persuasion and just preferred to keep my gun ownership to myself.

THR has been a great experience for me in the sense of finding an online community of folks who are out of the closet. Communicating with them has helped me understand all kinds of new knowledge, ranging from care and feeding of a shotgun to the differences in techniques for firing revolvers & pistols to legal and ethical issues around guns to 2A issues.

I find myself progressively opening up about my gun ownership to friends and professional colleagues, including some who are staunch anti's, and able to defend my position comfortably and convincingly.

Maybe a gun pride event ain't such a bad idea.

Molon labe, indeed.

Nem

Josh Aston
August 29, 2006, 12:43 AM
Good idea. Similar to the open carry day a while back. And BTW you got more than one reply :)

Hemicuda
August 29, 2006, 12:54 AM
design a pin, get a small run made... (Corriea?) and tell me where to send how much money... (I want a half dozen minimum!)

GregGry
August 29, 2006, 03:52 AM
This is a really good idea, I like it. I will buy pins as well.

strambo
August 29, 2006, 05:19 AM
Put me down for a pin. I've never thought to care about somebody else's opinion of my gun ownership. If it comes up in conversation so be it. I've noticed Liberals (leftists) seem to love to tell eveyone about their opinions in a manner that assumes consent and implies dissent will be met with ridicule (just my experience).

I have no qualms about voicing my opinion and would have a reasoned discussion with anyone. It's funny, but the people who have the most problems with getting opinions foisted on them and being uncomfortable are my family members who are too timid to say anything back. I think the most opinionated ones in the family are afraid of dissent and that's why they don't tell me about their opinions, they know that I will respond. I'm laid back though, so it's not like I'm abrasive and their scared for that reason. Talk about guns like you would any other hobby, belief or interest. Acting embarassed is what gives the notion that we should be, power.

loki.fish
August 29, 2006, 05:31 AM
I'd buy some.

I have to agree that it's kind of BS that we can't openly enjoy our interest in firearms without being beaten to death by all the antis and "sheep" of the media. It's rather depressing that anytime I mention owning a gun, the question that's asked 99.9% of the time, "Why do you own a gun/guns?" I should have to explain myself as to why I do what I do. It's my life, it's my money, and as far as I see it, it's my birth right as an American.

[/rantoff]

redneck2
August 29, 2006, 06:10 AM
I don't know where you guys live, but where I am, guns are pretty much part of one's life. I grew up and live in a rural area. Every farmer has a rifle and shotgun. My cousin owns a sporting clays range.

Guess it's different in "civilized" areas.

Byron Quick
August 29, 2006, 06:19 AM
I'm with redneck2. Anti's are the ones in the closet where I live and work. My co-workers in the hospital come to talk to me about what gun they should purchase. The cops say if they need more firepower they'll come borrow it from me.

loki.fish
August 29, 2006, 06:23 AM
In southern Indiana, redneck. I dunno about general population, but the ones I've met are always wondering why anybody would need a gun. Thought it'd be kind of bad up in Northern Indiana being so close to Chicago and all....never been up past Indy though.

Mandirigma
August 29, 2006, 06:45 AM
I'd like to get some of these as well. I don't usually like to "advertise" my affiliation with guns. But it would be interesting to see who would respond to it.

Rich K
August 29, 2006, 07:43 AM
Great idea. I'm in for a few pins.

marlin.357
August 29, 2006, 08:38 AM
I'm In!

Brian Dale
August 29, 2006, 08:41 AM
What if we wore MOLON LABE pins?I'm in. I've already got the hat and the sweatshirt. :D

Why do you wear the pin?I support human rights.

JCDozier
August 29, 2006, 08:59 AM
I like the idea of a Molon Labe pin. If every gun owner wore one, and also had an NRA sticker on his/her vehicle, perhaps there would be enough "visibility" to attract some attention from the politicians who are writing gun laws.

Brian Dale
August 29, 2006, 09:21 AM
Speaking of coming out of the closet...

Welcome to The High Road, JCDozier!

progunner1957
August 29, 2006, 09:38 AM
If every gun owner wore one, and also had an NRA sticker on his/her vehicle, perhaps there would be enough "visibility" to attract some attention from the politicians who are writing gun laws.It would attract attention, alright - they would see it as a threat to their power. That's how antigun bigot politicians think of gun owners.

It would be great to see 1/3 of all the cars in this nation driving around sporting a MOLON LABE sticker on it. The antigun bigots would not like it, but it might get the message across to them that gun owners will not stand for being disarmed by "The Government" like the sheeple of England and Australia did.

Erebus
August 29, 2006, 09:46 AM
I would definately be in for a pin. And JCDozier gave me an idea for a Molon Labe car sticker.

Found someone already making the pins:
http://www.lifelibertyetc.com/product.aspx?pid=6

Molon Labe Bumper Sticker:
http://www.lifelibertyetc.com/product.aspx?pid=32

RKBA Oval Sticker: I prefer this one as it isn't a foot wide
http://www.lifelibertyetc.com/product.aspx?pid=8

I won't put a sticker on my car anywhere but on the glass. That way when it fades or dries and cracks it can be removed with a razor and replaced with a nice new one without damaging the finish.

Edit: I Have no affiliation with this website. I just googled 'molon labe pin' and that came up.

tegemu
August 29, 2006, 10:03 AM
Placed an order for ML pin, ML sticker, Jack Pin and 2nd Amend cup. Thank you.

AJAX22
August 29, 2006, 10:38 AM
I'd like to get a Molan Labe pin that had just the words on it. I'd like when people ask what it means for them to not have any negitive thoughts in their heads or pre conceptions already formed from looking at an EBR picture. I want to sneak the guns in under a context of historical perspective.

Flyboy
August 29, 2006, 10:47 AM
we won't have to wear leather will we??
Well, I suppose you could wear Kydex if you really want to...

And I'm in, too.

cmidkiff
August 29, 2006, 10:48 AM
I'm with Ajax22... just the words, please.

I may order a hat tonight :)

Erebus
August 29, 2006, 10:52 AM
I had to order one of these too!!

http://www.lifelibertyetc.com/product.aspx?pid=70

WOLVERINES!!

I would prefer a pin with just the words as well.

Geno
August 29, 2006, 10:55 AM
As I understand it, most surveys show America is pro-firearm. When I meet an anti, I tell them that I'll respect their rights to free speech, free expression and free association to the same exact degree that they respect my right to K&B arms.

If we are to have a Constitution, we have a Constitution. The BS about it being a "living document" is just that...BS! It is a sheet of paper that clearly shows what are "inalienable" rights are. They are NOT to change.

Wear a button? Heck yes! Iím in!

Doc2005

mustanger98
August 29, 2006, 02:31 PM
What's this I read about somebody not wanting to wear leather??? Blue steel and gunleather (Colt's SAA, 1848/51/60/61, or Ruger's Vaquero in a handmade leather holster on a leather or canvas belt)... that's the ticket. It has been for over 150years.

hso
August 29, 2006, 03:01 PM
I'll take 10 if they were the simple letters or in the greek on an oval pin. I want people to ask, "What's that?" not look at the flipp'n AR and walk away.

Werewolf
August 29, 2006, 04:15 PM
I'll take 10 if they were the simple letters or in the greek on an oval pin. I want people to ask, "What's that?" not look at the flipp'n AR and walk away.
That was exactly my reaction also. without the AR on it I'd buy 10 or 12 of the things and hand 'em out at the office.

donkee
August 29, 2006, 05:41 PM
Found someone already making the pins:
http://www.lifelibertyetc.com/product.aspx?pid=6

Molon Labe Bumper Sticker:
http://www.lifelibertyetc.com/product.aspx?pid=32

RKBA Oval Sticker: I prefer this one as it isn't a foot wide
http://www.lifelibertyetc.com/product.aspx?pid=8

Sending the links to everyone at the club who's on my list.

I bring it up pretty often. I have a CMP patch on my jacket and my backpack where my laptop resides, and people ask what they are. When I am in NY City or any other place like that I usually get the "but you seem like such a nice guy" comment. I tell them that I am a nice guy that likes to compete and have fun. I'm not the mad dawg killer type, unless I gotta be... :evil:

mpmarty
August 29, 2006, 07:52 PM
I'll send $20.00 right now to start this and hope more of us will do likewise.
What I want is the MOLON LABE in either English or Greek script on a button without any refrence to firearms.

U.S.SFC_RET
August 29, 2006, 08:08 PM
Put me in for a pin as well. I want my rights known here in the state of Maryland!

American By Blood
August 29, 2006, 08:37 PM
Just a thought on co-opting solgans and tactics from the queer movement-

One of the earlier gay pride/AIDS awareness campaigns was a simple pink triangle on a black bacground with the words "SILENCE=DEATH" (http://www.backspace.com/notes/2003/04/07/x.html) in large white letters under the shape.

"SILENCE=DEATH"... Is there a better slogan for our cause as well?

Fosbery
August 29, 2006, 08:44 PM
Open carry. The RKBA supporters' badge.

Standing Wolf
August 29, 2006, 09:05 PM

I've been carrying openly about a year now, maybe a few months longer. I keep thinking it'll provide opportunities to enlighten people, but very, very few people even notice.

Colorado for you, I guess.

Stauble
August 29, 2006, 09:28 PM
well that settles the pin part but what bout "gun pride" marches.

if queers can have nude demonstrations, why can't we have rifle demonstrations?

i could be misinterpreting the law, but in Florida for instance you dont need a permit to carry a rifle around so id think that would apply to a demonstrations. as long as its not loaded i dont see what the problem is.

Prince Yamato
August 29, 2006, 09:50 PM
Holy Cow!

Well, that's more than one response. I was certain that I had seen Molon Labe pins somewhere and it was at the Life Liberty etc. site. I'm with the guys here that say the AR on it will be a deal-breaker- I want people to have to ASK what it stands for. Does anyone know of pins elsewhere that don't have the AR and just the words. I've seen patches, t-shirts and such without, heck even home-made stickers would work. I want to get the message out in a subtle, but effective way. As far as WHEN... I was thinking either the week BEFORE and leading up to Election day (Oct. 30 - Nov. 7) or the week OF Election day (Nov. 6 - 11) which ends on Veteran's Day. Before has the obvious advantage of influencing people before the election. Week OF there's one day of influence and then it leads to Veteran's Day which would be symbolic, but I don't want to co-opt the holiday either.

White Horseradish
August 29, 2006, 10:11 PM
I wear this lapel pin

http://www.lifelibertyetc.com/Images/Products/ptsf_mag.jpg

When I wear something with lapels, that is... :)

Border
August 29, 2006, 10:24 PM
I work in a psych hospital. A liberal bastion where everything hunting/gun gets interpreted in some "trying to compensate" negative way. I have an NRA sticker on my mailbox and have debated everybodyon the subjects. I hate Jesus fishes and "hidden message" symbols. THEY (the antis) are winning the cultural war if we are afraid of expressing who we are and what we believe! As Charlton Heston said; "Don't run for cover when the cultural cannons roar!" Stand up for who you are and what you believe!

DoubleTapDrew
August 29, 2006, 11:06 PM
I'd be in for a pin. I've thought a gun rights march would be cool. 50,000 people marching on Washington DC carrying weapons. That would be a sight. It would be a hard slap of reality in the face of the blissninnys that we represent a significant portion of the population and we won't be silenced or feel ashamed for excercising one of our fundamental rights.

308nato
August 29, 2006, 11:27 PM
I'am in for a few pins also. good idea.

mustanger98
August 29, 2006, 11:38 PM
I've thought a gun rights march would be cool.

For a long time I've thought us gun owners needed to take a page from the Liberal play book... march, have a sit-in, sing "We Shall Overcome".

50,000 people marching on Washington DC carrying weapons. That would be a sight.

Ummm, no. DC has those laws that prohibit weapons inside the district. And in DC, you do anything normally not a Federal offense and you go before a Federal court and wind up doing Federal time.

It would be a hard slap of reality in the face of the blissninnys that we represent a significant portion of the population and we won't be silenced or feel ashamed for excercising one of our fundamental rights.

By some accounts things are getting better and have been for a while. Get 50K gun owners committing a Federal offense all at once and we stand to lose a lot more than we've gained and stand to gain in the future.

It's best if we stay out of DC and try to keep Hitlary Klinton out of the White House.

acdodd
August 29, 2006, 11:59 PM
They can be special ordered.
Google custom lapel pins

DoubleTapDrew
August 30, 2006, 01:07 AM
By some accounts things are getting better and have been for a while. Get 50K gun owners committing a Federal offense all at once and we stand to lose a lot more than we've gained and stand to gain in the future.

It's best if we stay out of DC and try to keep Hitlary Klinton out of the White House.

I agree things have been getting better in terms of CCW and castle doctrine. 50K gun owners carrying openly in DC would likely result in a ton of national guard being called in (cops are used to being able to outnumber their opponent) although they'd get there after it's (peacefully) over. Didn't 300K or so illegal aliens have a protest march this summer? God forbid we excercise our rights in OUR capitol because it's against their rules. It wouldn't work though. Anti groups would likely plant people in the march and have them start shooting to start a $%!t storm.
Hitlary will never be elected. But there is a good chance dems will regain a lot of power in the next election and a lot of the ground we have gained can be taken away. Voting can only do so much. I hate having to revel in the scraps they "allow" us. "Oh joyous day, I can now buy magazines that will hold more than 10 rounds!"

Snake Eyes
August 30, 2006, 01:22 AM

Uh hu...right....You first, Fosbery!

(And not on your vacation to Indiana, either. How about on your next hot date to, oh, say, "Rules"?)

rwc
August 30, 2006, 01:38 AM
"You know you're a redneck when..." The cops say if they need more firepower they'll come borrow it from me. :D

I agree that the greek-only pin would be more effective. Or perhaps a coffee mug for the office.

aaronrkelly
August 30, 2006, 02:53 AM
I wear this pin very often, its from the NRA store....I dont see if offered anymore

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/aaronrkelly/ARMEDPRIDE.jpg

Bummer its not there anymore, its almost the "perfect" pin for what you guys are wanting to do.

I also wear these everday......

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/aaronrkelly/legtattoo.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/aaronrkelly/Picture006.jpg

Prince Yamato
August 30, 2006, 10:09 AM
While I understand the sentiment and spirit behind a march, I side with the others in saying it would be spun negatively in the press. It might, as others pointed out, attract a liberal plant or (more than likely) the rogue secessionist or supremacist group and then you'll have AP headlines saying "supremacist group marches for gun rights in DC" and then the article would be about the broader group. And as others have pointed out, 50K people in DC with guns is 50K people deprived of gun rights because they're convicted felons the next day... gotta love that DC gun ban. This is why I think the subtle approach is best. It's legal and it doesn't alarm the sheeple.

Werewolf
August 30, 2006, 11:44 AM
A gun rights march could be held without carrying any guns...

The real problem would be getting enough folks together to march and carry signs to garner the attention of the media.

To be successful doing marches at the local level in the 2 or 3 largest cities in each state would be a good start. Then move up to marching on DC - lots of fanfare like the million mom march but with gun owners.

<smack!> wake up Werewolf <shakes head to wake up> Whoa.... that was a wierd dream...

exar
August 30, 2006, 12:09 PM
loki.fish
In southern Indiana, redneck. I dunno about general population, but the ones I've met are always wondering why anybody would need a gun. Thought it'd be kind of bad up in Northern Indiana being so close to Chicago and all....never been up past Indy though.

You need to get away from the UE area and come out here to the stripper pits of Chandler...:evil: Or PM me and we can shoot in my back yard. I live on the East side.

blindndead
August 30, 2006, 12:22 PM
This could be really big if done Right. Im so in, where do we start? Whats the next step that we the people need to do to make this happen?

Stauble
August 30, 2006, 12:42 PM
id say marching at state capitals, or a major city in your state.
then move on to regional places, like people in the South could all march in Atlanta, or Birmingham
then have a D.C. march

CajunBass
August 30, 2006, 01:00 PM

+1

But the pins not a bad idea either.

If you enjoyed reading about "Coming out of the Gun Closet" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!