Add saddle-ring stud to non-saddle ring Win 94?

PDA

Dave Dembinski
August 29, 2006, 03:29 PM
I recently grabbed a 1969-vintage Winchester 94 from Gunbroker and would like to add a saddle-ring stud and saddle-ring to it. Being ignorant of these guns, I'm unsure of if that's even possible.

If it is, would it just be a matter of replacing one of the receiver screws with the saddle-ring stud, or does that require a separate hole to be drilled and tapped? Some other process entirely?

If you enjoyed reading about "Add saddle-ring stud to non-saddle ring Win 94?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim K
August 29, 2006, 04:37 PM
Maybe someone will correct me, but I think those studs were riveted on, not screwed. There is a separate hole, above the hammer screw hole. I don't know where you can get a saddle ring, but Winchester made some repros fairly recently with them, so they might have some. They might even put it on for you if they still have anyone in the custom shop.

Jim

Dave Dembinski
August 29, 2006, 04:57 PM
Oh, I was looking at this item on Midway (http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=256311) and saw what looked like threads, so I assumed it screwed in.

edwardyoung
August 29, 2006, 08:24 PM
I went to Gunbroker and looked at some Winchester 94's w/saddle rings. My pre-war doesn't have a hole in the receiver for one. Yours might. As far as I know, they were screwed into a threaded hole in the receiver.

gamachinist
August 30, 2006, 03:48 PM
On the "real" src's they were on a staple that I belive was swedged from the backside.I haven't taken one of my src's down to see for sure.

There were some screw on saddle rings available a few years back that I think were leftovers from some of Winchester's post '64 guns.
I think I bought a couple and never used them.

I don't remember if they replaced an existing screw,or the receiver had an extra hole for them.I've sold my "Antique Carbine" that had one,so I can't look to say for sure.

45TxN
September 3, 2006, 09:22 AM
gamachinist,
You can occaisionally find saddle rings and saddle ring studs on auctionarms, gunbroker, gunsamerica etc... and ebay. Before tapping your receiver find a saddle ring stud and adapt your rifle to it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Add saddle-ring stud to non-saddle ring Win 94?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!