BSA Contender scopes

PDA

Ari
May 9, 2003, 04:41 PM
I'm looking for any input on "actual" owners of the BSA Contender. I'm looking for a scope for my 91-30 Nagant. And wanted to keep it in the $100 range, with the most magnifcation for this poor sighted shooter. It may also spend some time on my oly AR. I will not be going in the field with it. Nor am I a hunter so i don't care about having a large field of view. All that I'll be doing is some informal plinking. That is all. But am on a tight budget. Thanks.

The model I'm looking at is the 6-24x50.

If you enjoyed reading about "BSA Contender scopes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cratz2
May 9, 2003, 05:52 PM
Well, I've had good experience with the Contenders and the one Platinum but, and pardon me for saying it, but that seems like an awful lot of scope for a Nagant. Heck, the Russian snipers - the ones lucky enough to get optics - got a 3.6x. Looked a little something like this:

http://ebay1.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_5566e417185e12cad1af8d78ad461f4f/i-1_B_L.JPG

Not exactly right, but closest I could find in 15 seconds. :p

Kalinka makes scopes about on par, perhaps a bit better glass and they used to make something almost exactly like this but I can't seem to find it right now.

Maybe something like this: http://www.mikadox.com/cgi-bin/kowstore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=GSPO432P

Look around www.kalinkaoptics.com and just keep in mind that with the lower priced scopes, fixed powers will probably be more reliable and brighter. A 4x or 6x should allow for fairly precise work pretty far out there and if might serve a bit better than something with 24x capability.

And one more thing to keep in mind, do you have a mount and a turned down bolt handle? You'll probably beed both of those to mount a scope on a Nagant.

rjk2475
May 9, 2003, 06:08 PM
i've used a 6-24x50 on my 1710 anschutz for about two years. the clarity is good and i can see well. the parallax adjustment works fine as i shoot between 30-100 yds. i paid more. 100 bucks is a good price.

Ari
May 10, 2003, 04:11 AM
Thanks for the info. But I bought this one from a Pawn shop with the turned down bolt, with the rail, mount, sythetic stock and 3-9x40 scope. I've used it as my 200yard plinker, which is pretty fun. I just wanted to fool around with a stronger magnification scope. For a cheap target plinker project is all. Thanks again.

cratz2
May 10, 2003, 02:11 PM
Oh... actually I missed the reference in your first post about your... ailing eyesight. I'm sorry about that.

From a different point of view, my 4-16x illuminated MilDot is my brightest BSA scope I've ever looked through comparing the highest magnification. I also have a 6-24x and had another one... they were both perfectly OK, but about about 20x, got noticably less bright. I'm a big fan of brightness and would gladly give up4x or 6x of top end magnification for a easily noticably brighter scope.

And I'm sure there's scope to scope variation in scopes of this price range but I would definately say the scope I've been happiest with, of the higher mag BSAs was that MilDot scope and I'm far from the tactical type. :p

Ari
May 10, 2003, 05:33 PM
That's a angle I haven't considered yet. Picture brightness. I think that would probably be more helpfull for this half way blind shooter. Rather than a stronger magnification with poor brightness. I'll give the 4-16 mag. a longer look. Thanks again!

If you enjoyed reading about "BSA Contender scopes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!