Fixed an AR problem

PDA

Steve Smith
May 9, 2003, 03:48 PM
I've been shooting a relatively new AR lower lately and had a problem creep up in Sunday's match. Thought you guys could beneft from this.

I was single loading (with empty mag in well) from prone position and toward the end of the match the bolt stopped locking back. I couldn't get it to lock back with the charging handle either. Good thing I only had about 5 more shots left for the day.

I emailed John Holliger the next day and asked him if he'd had a similar problem with the bolt stop. He suggested that I remove the stop, polish it really well, clip a few coils off the spring (only prevents rattling), and try it again. I did exactly that and it made a HUGE difference in engagement. Now it moves easily into position and locks back every time.

Yeah, this would normally go into "Gunsmithing" but I figgured that since its a "fix" not a "problem" it should go where a lot of folks would see it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Fixed an AR problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
If you enjoyed reading about "Fixed an AR problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!