Black powder long term storage

PDA

aerod1
August 30, 2006, 09:19 PM
Is black powder safe to store for years? I have several cans of Goex, which I use for my muzzleloader and C&B revolvers. It is hard to find so when I do find some, I buy a lot. Is this safe to store in the home?

If you enjoyed reading about "Black powder long term storage" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
4v50 Gary
August 31, 2006, 02:12 AM
Keep in dark, cool place (not cold though) and it'll last for many decades.

Dienekes
August 31, 2006, 02:17 AM
I have some in the one pound cans that must be 20-25 years old and that has been through a 1200 mile move with me. With the exception of the move itself It has been in a cool, dry location throughout. Every now and then I open one of them and all is well.

No one here smokes so at least that hazard is eliminated. There is always a bit of a risk with that stuff just because of its very nature. It demands a certain amount of respect and careful handling and I darn well comply.

Plink
August 31, 2006, 06:53 AM
Sealed, it keeps a good long time. Once opened, it will slowly deteriorate but you'll shoot it up long before that. I'm using out of a can of FFFG from the early 80's that I found in an old box in the shed. Shoots exactly the same as cans I've recently bought.

sundance44s
August 31, 2006, 10:51 AM
A friend of mine is still shooting some Goex he bought back in the 70`s it`s over 30 years old .. he`s in his 70`s and him and his old powder shoot like young`ins ..

mec
August 31, 2006, 12:06 PM
1924 type can of ffg. It is probably five or six decades old. It was mostly depleted when we did this comparison and had spent at least ten years in a hot garage.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=44184&stc=1&d=1157039590

These .44 specials were loaded with black powder in 1913-16. Storage history unknown. the primers were dead and we replaced them with new federals reassembling the rounds. Also loaded some with modern goex for comparison: The older powder produced a 2.1" group from a casual bench rest at 25 yards.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=44185&stc=1&d=1157039753

mec
August 31, 2006, 12:06 PM
1924 type can of ffg. It is probably five or six decades old. It was mostly depleted when we did this comparison and had spent at least ten years in a hot garage.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=44184&stc=1&d=1157039590

These .44 specials were loaded with black powder in 1913-16. Storage history unknown. the primers were dead and we replaced them with new federals reassembling the rounds. Also loaded some with modern goex for comparison: The older powder produced a 2.1" group from a casual bench rest at 25 yards.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=44185&stc=1&d=1157039753

I don't know how much of the moderate velocity loss to attribute to ageing of the powder and how much might come from variations in the manufacture. The difference in shot to shot consistency is probably insignificant. the 90 year old powder did have quite a bit of smaller, dustlike flakes in the mix.

1911 guy
September 7, 2006, 08:29 PM
Ocassionally we'll hear stories of someone finding Great Grandpappy's smokepole and dusting it off to hang over the mantle. Many of these old guns are found loaded and many of them go off. Generations between loading and firing. In un-opened containers BP can last for a very long time. Much of the degradation is due to vibration (grinding itself into smaller granules) and exposere to moisture due to improper storage.

pv74
September 13, 2006, 10:19 AM
Blackpowder does not deteriorate as far as I know.
More stable than smokelss powder as far as storage life is concerned.

Even if powder gets wet, it can be used when it dries out.

From what I have read, the black powder produced at the end of 19th century was better than the stuff we get today. BP technology had reached its zenith by then.

If you enjoyed reading about "Black powder long term storage" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!